Menu

Decently healthy meat/protein snacks

marbel

Today I saw a reference to a grass-fed meat snack stick - like Slim Jim's only somewhat healthier.  (The brand was Lorissa's, fwiw.)  It started me on an Amazon rabbit hole. This seems like something my son and I might like for work snacks.  (I work a few nights from 5pm - 1am and around 9:30 I need something that is not carby.)  I might need to make a trip into Whole Foods so I don't have to buy a whole case at once in case we hate them. 

But I was wondering if anyone had specific recommendations. I know it's subjective but if, say, 5 people say "we love X!" then that's a good starting point, kwim? 

I sometimes take a stick of string cheese but something with more bite and/or crunch would be more satisfying.  Actually Cheezits are my favorite but. carbs.

What do you like?  I'd be happy for recipes too thought I haven't much cooking time these days.

ETA: I should have thought of this:  I already eat a lot of nuts and sunflower seeds.  Like maybe too many.  :-)  I need some variety.  Also, things need to be pretty much self-contained, no dipping, spreading, or spooning.  Stuff we can grab and eat.  Just the nature of the environments we both work in.  

Edited by marbel

I’m not sure this would meet your criteria, but I do apple slices (green are generally lower carb) with real peanut butter or blueberries (sometimes with plain Greek yogurt added) and plain almonds for afternoon snacks at work. Raw vegetables with hummus would also have some crunch and protein, but personally while I love hummus, I don’t like it with vegetables. I also know there are lots of recipes out there for low carb protein crackers that use cheese as a primary ingredient, although I haven’t tried to make any.

• Like 1

I will check out recipes for low-carb protein crackers!

And, I edited my OP because you reminded me of a couple of important details I should have thought of:  I already eat a lot of nuts and sunflower seeds.  Like maybe too many.  :-)  I need some variety.  Also, things need to be pretty much self-contained, no dipping, spreading, or spooning.  Stuff we can grab and eat.  Just the nature of the environments we both work in.  

I do appreciate your response; it was exactly what I asked for.  :-)

BTW I LOVE celery but it is so stinking LOUD to eat.  Doesn't work as a desk snack with coworkers nearby.  :-)

• Like 1

My current favorite low carb crispy/crunchy snack is toasted chips made from 100% cheese.  You'd have to make these ahead of time but they would then seem to meet your requirements.  Simply place a small mound (~1 T) of shredded cheese widely spaced on parchment paper in a hot oven and watch it like a hawk. There is a thin time margin between nice and crisp and OOPS, burnt.  I often make just a couple in the toaster oven using fresh grated parmesan.  Once the edges start turning brown, I turn off the heat and let them cool in the oven.

I will also sometimes indulge with fried pork skins but they may not be within your definitely of decently healthy.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

My current favorite low carb crispy/crunchy snack is toasted chips made from 100% cheese.  You'd have to make these ahead of time but they would then seem to meet your requirements.  Simply place a small mound (~1 T) of shredded cheese widely spaced on parchment paper in a hot oven and watch it like a hawk. There is a thin time margin between nice and crisp and OOPS, burnt.  I often make just a couple in the toaster oven using fresh grated parmesan.  Once the edges start turning brown, I turn off the heat and let them cool in the oven.

I will also sometimes indulge with fried pork skins but they may not be within your definitely of decently healthy.

I've seen something (at Costco, but I've never tried it) that sounds similar--Cello Whisps--they look like crackers made from only cheese. 

• Like 1

I like individually packaged pieces of cheese as a snack.  I also used to be able buy these crisps that were 100% cheese at the grocery store near me.  So yummy, but they either moved them or stopped selling them, and I never thought to remember the name so I can't find them to order them.

• Like 1

So many great ideas!   

Re: roasted chickpeas - I do these all the time as a side dish for dinner, with various spices.  Never thought of making them just a little crunchier and having as a snack.

Re: hard-boiled eggs - I eat a hard boiled eggs almost every day for breakfast, so, honestly... it's the last thing I want for a snack.  :-)  Not to diss the suggestion - it is a good one.

Thanks to all. You are helping my brain to branch out from cashews and string cheese... :-)  Which are what I typically bring... and then go to the machine to buy a bag of cheezits.

DS the wildland firefighter who needs to keep up his calorie count during the season likes the Epic Buffalo and Turkey meat bars  and the Trader Joe Buffalo Jerky (DH says the jerky is too spicy for him to find it enjoyable as a stand-alone snack).

Our whole family likes hummus and rice crackers or veggie sticks. Since hummus is made with chickpeas, it is a good source of protein. I know you said no dipping, but grabbing a handful of crackers or veggies and the tub of store-bought hummus out of the fridge is super easy for snacking and keep working at the computer (ask me how I know (:D -- really, no more work or mess than string cheese).

And another vote for Kind nut bars, although it is more nuts and seeds. My favorite is the Dark Chocolate Cherry Cashew, but as Ali in OR posted above, the one with peanut butter would have even more protein.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Peanut Butter "cheetos" might work, like these: https://www.amazon.com/Popchips-Nutter-Puffs-Peanut-Butter/dp/B078XXSS8Y  - I haven't tried this brand (and wouldn't buy them at this price!!!) but I have tried similar ones in Europe and they are sooooo good. I portion them out into 1 oz servings, and while they won't win any health awards, they have only 2 grams of sugar and 5 grams of protein. 

Snap Pea chips are good too: https://www.amazon.com/Harvest-Lightly-3-3-Ounce-Deliciously-crunchy/dp/B000FMZO8G

Maybe a low-sugar tube yogurt (healthy version of Gogurt)?

I like the Starkist tuna packets, but they do require at least a fork. Still, you could lick the fork clean and wrap it in a napkin, or use disposable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ondreeuh said:

Peanut Butter "cheetos" might work, like these: https://www.amazon.com/Popchips-Nutter-Puffs-Peanut-Butter/dp/B078XXSS8Y  - I haven't tried this brand (and wouldn't buy them at this price!!!) but I have tried similar ones in Europe and they are sooooo good. I portion them out into 1 oz servings, and while they won't win any health awards, they have only 2 grams of sugar and 5 grams of protein. 

Snap Pea chips are good too: https://www.amazon.com/Harvest-Lightly-3-3-Ounce-Deliciously-crunchy/dp/B000FMZO8G

Maybe a low-sugar tube yogurt (healthy version of Gogurt)?

I like the Starkist tuna packets, but they do require at least a fork. Still, you could lick the fork clean and wrap it in a napkin, or use disposable.

If you have a Latin American grocery, there is a brand of these that tends to be pretty good price-wise. And possibly other snacks as well.

• Like 1