Menu

Amazon opens its $23 kids Book Box to all Prime members

Elfknitter.#

4 minutes ago, TechWife said:

I wonder what parameters their "curators" have for book selection?

According to the curation section of their FAQ:

How do you pick the books?
From our large selection of children’s books, we use expert recommendations from our Amazon Books Editors and customer ratings and reviews to curate great, age-appropriate books for each box. These books include classics that have stood the test of time as well as hidden gems that our Editors couldn’t put down—stories that your reader can enjoy again and again. We will also use your recent purchase history to avoid including a book you have already purchased on Amazon.com. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MorningGlory said:

When this hit my inbox today, I really wondered who might find it worthwhile!?!? 

If I am going to spend $23 for two books, I want to be the one to pick them out! ? 

I can't imagine we're their target market - informed readers who are terribly picky about their book selections for kids. ?
I imagine the target audience is grandma who doesn't live next door to the grandkids.  I admit it would be fun, without having to remember myself, to have books sent to grandkids every month.  

That said, no, I wouldn't do it.  $24/month for two books is expensive.  I was at Half Price Books last night and picked up 14 books for $42.  Sadly, it's not available to all of you.  

• Like 4

A couple of years ago, I committed to buying a new (To us) book each month for our household. I picked out the book - and sometimes it was the newest in a series we were following as a family. I rotated through kids- with a decided slant toward the already-can-read kids. It was a hit, but not enough of one to keep going year after year. 

I can't see spending that much on books we don't (at least) think we'll love.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

I can't imagine we're their target market - informed readers who are terribly picky about their book selections for kids. ?
I imagine the target audience is grandma who doesn't live next door to the grandkids.  I admit it would be fun, without having to remember myself, to have books sent to grandkids every month.  

That said, no, I wouldn't do it.  $24/month for two books is expensive.  I was at Half Price Books last night and picked up 14 books for $42.  Sadly, it's not available to all of you.  

Yea, I looked into it because I'm teaching K/1st this year and am no longer "up" on what's new & great for that age group. I have the old classics but we'll have *lots* of story time, so the more, the merrier.....

....also looked at it for my 13 yr old dyslexic who is just venturing into reading on his own, so doesn't have a "taste" in books yet and the fun of a package in the mail might be an effective incentive for him to want to try reading more. 

.....but that price tag, though.....I'm a devoted Half Price Books shopper, so it was just sticker shock for me.  I can see where some might choose to do it, though; grandparents are a good target for this. 

• Like 1

For folks who might consider something like this, we've done ReadingBug Box for my older kid.  My inlaws were looking for a gift and were happy to pay for a certain number of months.  Even though they pick the books, they do it based on your interests.  I typed an extensive list of books and series that were hits and misses, and they've done a fantastic job finding new authors in the same styles.  It is usually 3 books each month, sometimes 4 (I imagine it could be more for a younger kid with shorter books).  I don't think kiddo would have been nearly as happy with generic 'popular for your age' books, but having books chosen by a small bookstore owner based on past favorites has worked really well.  Once, I sent an email saying that a book had been particularly popular, and the next box had an author-autographed copy of book 2 in the series.  

• Like 4

It wouldn't have been useful to me when my kids were those ages, but I'm not going to diss anything that might get people to buy books for kids.  Sure, homeschooling moms are not their target market.  There are plenty of people who don't think the way homeschooling moms do, who might not otherwise buy books for their (or other) kids. Let Amazon encourage people to buy books!  

• Like 1