Menu

Need ideas to temporarily cover a bumper sticker

ThisIsTheDay

Daughter is borrowing my car for several months. I have a very controversial/political bumper sticker on my car that she does not care for. I've told her she can't remove it, but that we could cover it somehow temporarily. I don't have ANY issue with this, I'm the one who suggested covering it. I looked at magnetized bumper stickers to place over it, but I realized the bumper sticker is on the glass of my car, not on metal.

Suggestions?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Have her buy you a new one (first, so you know it can be replaced), remove the old one, and when she returns the car - put the new one on.

This is what she originally offered. I'm sure I'm feeling a bit possessive about my car AND my sticker, lol. But you are right, I think this will be what is easiest and best, especially since it can't be covered with anything magnetic. Thank you so much.  ?

• Like 2

Guess I'm getting old and cranky, but my first thought was: people who are receiving the gift of being able to borrow a vehicle for several months would be better off spending their emotional energy/time/finances on being grateful for the gift, rather than being "offended" about what the gift of the loaned car looks like or whether or not there is a statement on it that they don't agree with...

Instead of spending money on trying to cover or replace the bumper sticker, perhaps the recipient of the gift might kill two birds with one stone -- express tolerance of the views of others and show thanks -- by buying something nice for the car or car owner. ; )

End of cranky old fist-waving lady rant... LOL -- feel free to ignore this post and move on. (:D

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

If the bumper sticker is that controversial, it can potentially cause problems for the daughter, from vandalism to street harassment.

Right.  It might also have a negative effect on her social life. 

When I was single I wouldn't go out with guys who had certain types of bumper stickers on their cars.  Obvious signs of a personality clash.  

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Guess I'm getting old and cranky, but my first thought was: people who are receiving the gift of being able to borrow a vehicle for several months would be better off spending their emotional energy/time/finances on being grateful for the gift, rather than being "offended" about what the gift of the loaned car looks like or whether or not there is a statement on it that they don't agree with...

Instead of spending money on trying to cover or replace the bumper sticker, perhaps the recipient of the gift might kill two birds with one stone -- express tolerance of the views of others and show thanks -- by buying something nice for the car or car owner. ; )

End of cranky old fist-waving lady rant... LOL -- feel free to ignore this post and move on. (:D

Yeah but I can think of some stickers I would be really loathe to sport. DH did try to put a sticker on the van that *I* drive during our last election...ummm, no.

But yeah, I understand the thought behind your post here. It is a bit different to be daughter/mother than husband/wife. 

Marbel, Tanaqui, Quill, LucyStoner: Your thoughts just confirm that I am an old cranky fist-waving lady (:D, as I don't remember bumper stickers being a potential source of harassment, road rage, or repercussion "back when I was young" (LOL!)...

• Like 1

Honestly, Lori, I've heard of people having their stickers vandalized (damaging the car in the process) or receiving nasty notes for something as seemingly innocuous as a Coexist sticker - and not only recently, either. Sometimes other people just suck.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Marbel, Tanaqui, Quill, LucyStoner: Your thoughts just confirm that I am an old cranky fist-waving lady (:D, as I don't remember bumper stickers being a potential source of harassment, road rage, or repercussion "back when I was young" (LOL!)...

LOL, I am 62 years old.  But I was single and dating (or attempting to do so) well into my 30s.   Plenty of offensive bumper stickers in the '90s.  (Though possibly not so much political as vulgar.)

ETA: My husband and I have agreed: we have zero  bumper stickers of any kinds.  Well, parking permits. Which of course could also be controversial, depending on where one is parking.  :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, ThisIsTheDay said:

Daughter is borrowing my car for several months. I have a very controversial/political bumper sticker on my car that she does not care for. I've told her she can't remove it, but that we could cover it somehow temporarily. I don't have ANY issue with this, I'm the one who suggested covering it. I looked at magnetized bumper stickers to place over it, but I realized the bumper sticker is on the glass of my car, not on metal.

Suggestions?

Why is it so important that she not remove it? It’s only a bumper sticker. 

Add me to the list of people who would love to know what it says!

On 5/27/2018 at 5:04 PM, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Color me nosy, but I really want to know what the bumper sticker says!

Y'all are cracking me up! It's Don't Tread on My Gun Rights - Vote Freedom First. It's very bright, and if you're behind me, you can't miss it. I've had several people pass me and give me a thumbs up for it. Dd's uncomfortableness comes with being more private about her beliefs.

On 5/27/2018 at 5:44 PM, Lori D. said:

I'm so sorry, you've misinterpreted this terribly!  She is very grateful, and while she does not care for it, I am the one who understands and have offered to cover it up. She's lovely, wonderful, and very tolerant. She just doesn't like putting anything political out there, this included. ?

On 5/27/2018 at 5:56 PM, Tanaqui said:

If the bumper sticker is that controversial, it can potentially cause problems for the daughter, from vandalism to street harassment.

THIS is exactly what I am worried about. She's young and will be living alone in another city. My concern is that the bumper sticker may cause someone to think she has guns and break into her house. Of course I would never do anything to even possibly jeopardize her safety.

15 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Put a car magnet over it.

I *only use car magnets.  Came in handy when I spent time in a NASCAR parking lot and didn't want my car vandalized! 

I was planning to, but it's on glass, not on metal!  And LOL about hiding your sticker in a NASCAR lot!

10 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Why is it so important that she not remove it? It’s only a bumper sticker. 

Add me to the list of people who would love to know what it says!

It's my own little bit of possessiveness, honestly. With my kids, I've always told them use whatever they want of mine, just put it back so I never know you've used it. I suppose that carries over a bit here. I like my sticker, and although it's a small thing, it's still an inconvenience to me to have to get it off and get another back on. I know that some will say my dd should do it, but I think she will have a hard time getting it off, and if I'm the one putting it back on, I can't complain if it's crooked!

Now y'all know my mysterious bumper sticker, haha.  ?

My concern is that the bumper sticker may cause someone to think she has guns and break into her house.

Now, I always thought that the argument Gun Rights Activists use is that you don't have people breaking into your houses!

(And I'm going to pretend now that I believe that my side would never stoop to petty vandalism either.)

29 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Now, I always thought that the argument Gun Rights Activists use is that you don't have people breaking into your houses!

(And I'm going to pretend now that I believe that my side would never stoop to petty vandalism either.)

Except this is my daughter, and I'm not going to worry about that!

And I don't think "your side" would, but some people just suck or are criminals, regardless of what side. ? It's just best that it's not on the car while she has it.