Menu

What do you put inside Easter eggs?

Pintosrock

Dd has a milk allergy, so anything chocolate is out. I'd prefer non-candy items.

Grammy always ran the egg hunt, but we've moved and won't be back for Easter. She would put fun coins in the eggs - presidential dollars and wheat pennies. I tried asking at my local bank for dollar coins, but they thought I was crazy.

I tried the dollar store, but everything just seemed "junky" to me. I tried to negotiate one larger, nicer present instead of an egg hunt, but Dd didn't like that idea!

So, what do you put inside Easter eggs?

You could do something that leads to something bigger. As in, you could get a bigger gift - a book, a game, a decent toy, whatever. But you put clues to where to find it in the eggs. Or you put in puzzle pieces to a map that leads to it. Or tickets that get exchanged for the gift or gifts.

• Like 4

We do jelly beans.

I wonder if you just had a cashier at the bank that was new? My grandma gets $2 bills from her bank for holidays and we get the gold $1 coins for the tooth fairy. If you want to do coins I’d ask again, it could just be they didn’t have any on site but could get them.

I guess I'm lame. I never put anything in them. :laugh:

I found some Biblical characters at our dollar store. My husband was appalled at the idea of putting Jesus into an egg. "You can't have Jesus in a tomb on Easter. It's empty!" Then he suggested having the eggs all be empty. I don't think dd will go for that!

• Like 2

For DD, legos, small toys, money, and a small amount of candy that doesn't melt (we're in SW TN. Chocolate outside becomes a melted mess most Easters)

We do a Save the Frogs day "frog egg hunt", and those get interesting frog facts and frog trinkets (but there are other families bringing eggs who do stuff with candy.)

The hunt at my dad's house for the grandkids was always a money hunt. Most eggs had a $1 bill, but there were a few $5's, $10's and 1 or 2 $20's. The kids appreciated it more the older they got.

ETA: he started the hunt for his 4 kids (me, my sister, 2 older brothers) when we were all college-aged/early adult, and we loved having a little extra money! Then he continued it when we had kids for the grandkids.

Edited by Ali in OR

We just dye eggs the night before and the kids find those.  The prize?  Egg salad I guess, if egg salad can be considered a prize. 

LOL, that's what we do too.  So I guess we put hard boiled egg inside the eggs... :lol:

Candy (chocolate bunny, jelly beans and a few other Easter treats) is in the basket (not inside eggs), and that's all there is for 'presents'.  I did not get the memo that Easter had at some point turned into Christmas, spring version.  

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 1

We have many food allergies, so lots of candy is out. Ok, most candy. The candy that’s safe is very expensive.

And we have egg allergies so we have to go plastic eggs now.

Small Lego kits broken into small parts for the eggs. Ditto small playmobil. Puzzle pieces. Those are all dependent on finding all the eggs though - if you’re like us and always have a few lost eggs, that might not work.

Stickers, erasers, coins, special coins.

If you search Easter egg stuffers on Amazon, sometimes you can find a selection of little stuff. Probably junky but sometimes there are better things.

My kids really like finger lights. They get a lot of use, and then get recycled and put into the maker bin to become parts of costumes.