Menu

Curious how you'd take this: B&M teacher dress recommendation

SKL

What's with the comment "I do not know what 6th graders are picked for the games"?  Is she pointing out that she has no control if dd isn't picked because of what she's wearing?  It just seems like a weird thing to say...as if she anticipates dd going to be excluded.  But then again, I think it's weird if they go visit another school and only some of the kids get to play games. 

If the email was to cover her butt in case dd told about the kid making the rude comment, then she should have included that in the email.  "Hey, we were talking about dress code and a classmate made a rude comment. I'm sorry that happened to dd, and the boy has been spoken to about his behavior. "

• Like 3

My daughter got in trouble from a female teacher  in school (public charter) for how she was sitting in her skort (that had leggings underneath).  It was ridiculous.   (She, too, is a skinny girl and leggings are not tight on her.)  She was in 4th grade.  

I find that my son's teacher/school likes to communicate whenever there has been a conversation that they felt was a little strange. Once I (no kidding) got a call from the assistant principal explaining about a misunderstanding regarding a lego turkey drumstick. By the end of the conversation, the assistant principal said, "This is the weirdest conversation I've had with a parent ever, but I was concerned that there might have been confusion and wanted to deal with it before a problem occurred."

So, I'd understand that email as "we talked about this in class and [sKL's] daughter might have felt singled out so I wanted to let you know the details of the conversation" and not worry about it, unless the school basically never communicates otherwise.

Emily

• Like 5

I don't understand it. Maybe it means that the host school will determine whether or not leggings under skirt will suffice to be allowed to be in the games, and is warning you that they may not be considered "pants" by the other school for the purposes of games participation.  And at the same time she is trying to say that she understands not wanting to wear pants since she herself rarely does so.

• Like 3

I'd respond, "Hey, good to hear from you!  Were you writing to reassure me that [younger DD]'s leggings/skirt combo is fine for the athletic activities on X day (in which case I completely agree) or to suggest that she might need to wear pants (in which case can you explain specifically why leggings and a skirt are unacceptable?)"

• Like 1

I think the video perfectly illustrates the problem. Gravity with clothing when upside-down. It's not the leggings or pants, it's the tops riding way up. Tuck in the shirt and there's a lot less of an issue. 

Our school requires all shirts to be tucked in.  So, no problem there.  :)

When you're going fast, there is no time for a skirt to flop into your face.

Usually her skirts are a little less than knee length, and they are not straight designs.  So no problem doing gymnastics in them.  https://www.frenchtoast.com/product/plaid+pleated+skirt+girls+4-6x-7.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=fn Actually they are probably about as easy as the long, loose shorts she is required to wear for gym.

At gymnastics class, she wears leggings and a t-shirt.  She tucks in the t-shirt before doing anything upside-down.

I responded as follows (yesterday, before I got my kids' version).

"Thanks - [my eldest] always wears black leggings under her skirts.  Sometimes she also wears "scooters" (skirt with shorts) over leggings.  I think it should be fine for her to play any game in these clothes.  Also, [youngest's] "school pants" may not fit any more (she does wear jeans, but these are not OK for school).  [Youngest] also wears thick leggings under her skirts in winter (shorts in summer).  I always make sure they are OK to play on the playground equipment etc. should the opportunity arise.  :)

Thanks for the heads up!

SKL"

Edited by SKL
  • Like 6

Today they were encouraged to wear a red school Tshirt and jeans.  My kid showed up in her usual dress code skirt, and this same teacher singled her out to ask why she hadn't dressed in "Spirit wear."  My kid is getting exasperated.  Thank God it's Friday.  :P

• Like 1

Today they were encouraged to wear a red school Tshirt and jeans. My kid showed up in her usual dress code skirt, and this same teacher singled her out to ask why she hadn't dressed in "Spirit wear." My kid is getting exasperated. Thank God it's Friday. :P

It sounds like it may be time to have a little chat with this teacher. It sounds like she is definitely singling your dd out, and that’s not right.

• Like 4

I've read the thing 3 times now, and I really don't understand what the heck she is trying to say. She has no clarity in her writing whatsoever! Is she saying that eldest daughter may not get to play because she's wearing a skirt with leggings and that she has no control over that? 

• Like 3

I've read the thing 3 times now, and I really don't understand what the heck she is trying to say. She has no clarity in her writing whatsoever! Is she saying that eldest daughter may not get to play because she's wearing a skirt with leggings and that she has no control over that?

Glad I'm not the only one!

• Like 2

To me it sounds like she's saying that there are certain requirements for gym activities there and she wanted to let you know that, and if your dd chooses to wear a dress she might not be allowed to participate.  But it also sounds like the teacher is fine with your dd's decision whatever it is, and that she (the teacher) doesn't really like to wear pants either.  

But I agree that her writing is really bad and her message is unclear.

Today they were encouraged to wear a red school Tshirt and jeans.  My kid showed up in her usual dress code skirt, and this same teacher singled her out to ask why she hadn't dressed in "Spirit wear."  My kid is getting exasperated.  Thank God it's Friday.  :p

She crossed the line here. She should not be commenting on your D's attire. I agree with the other boardies who have said it is time to have a chat with the teacher, especially since your D is getting tired (as she should) of being singled out.
  • Like 1

Today they were encouraged to wear a red school Tshirt and jeans. My kid showed up in her usual dress code skirt, and this same teacher singled her out to ask why she hadn't dressed in "Spirit wear." My kid is getting exasperated. Thank God it's Friday. :P

Geez. This is getting stupid. The teacher needs a lesson in being direct. If she wants the kids to wear pants, she needs to require them to wear pants, not encourage it. Her inability to give clear instruction is her fault, not your dd's.

Coming late to the party, but if there was a teacher singling out my child in front of other students repeatedly, I’d have a problem.

She is being ridiculous and overly pushy about something that really doesn’t make sense. Your dd wears loose leggings under her skirt and the modesty/activity is NOT an issue.

I would absolutely be talking with this teacher in person about this.

This teacher sounds like a control freak. Not only that, she's bothered by the fact that she can't control your daughter's clothing choices. It is very bizarre. I do recommend you have a chat with her and tell her that if your daughter violates dress code that she should call you and discuss it with you. Otherwise, she need not commend on the clothes she chooses to wear. If she continues to single your daughter out after that, consider going over the teacher's head. 

• Like 3