Menu

Have you ever run for office? (Not "political", more "civics")

StephanieZ

Just curious and looking for insights . . .

Have any of y'all run for office? How did it go? What are your reflections on your experiences?

I'm about to take the plunge and run for our state senate . . . Will declare next week unless some other great progressive jumps up and agrees to run for our district before then . . . 

This wasn't *ever* something I even fathomed doing (being introverted, homebody, and hating the bullshit most politicians spout constantly), but if I don't (or someone else doesn't) do it, then the "other" party will be running unopposed, and I can't let that stand (which is how I got into this craziness, as my party was spreading lists of offices that didn't have anyone declared to run yet.) All major party candidates have to declare during January, so there's a very limited window . . . sort of now or never for 2018 . . . 

We live "in the boonies", so most of my like-minded friends live in town in another district, so recruiting a progressive to run in my district isn't easy . . . and somehow, I sort of agreed to do this. :huh:

Now that I've been thinking on it for a week or so, my ideas are starting to gel, and I'm getting more enthused. There are so many important issues, and our state legislature is a true and certain shit show in recent years, so decent people *must* step up to change things . . . So, well, here I am. Working on my position statements and political biography, etc.

And trying to decide what I should do with my super duper long henna-red hair . . . to make it more professional looking.  :confused1: (I tried a low side bun yesterday, and that looked pretty good. I'd really rather not cut it all off, as dh really likes it long, and so do I.)

Tomorrow, I go to a day long candidate training by my party, and two friends are coming along to do the activist/volunteer track while I do the candidate track . . . 

If I actually got elected (long shot, minority party, but who knows, and I'll do my best), then it'll mean a couple months away from home each winter, plus more weeks here and there throughout the year, etc. It pays, but really poorly, so I can't see how the vast majority of professional folks could possibly do this, as if you had a career you couldn't step away from for most of the winter plus additional weeks each year, you couldn't do it. Or if you had little kids, no way. So, anyway, that really narrows the pool of competent people who are able/willing to do this, so, here I am . . . as I *could* do it . . .

Anyway, I was wondering if any of y'all have ever done this and what your experiences were/are. 

ps. Keeping this non-political, more civics, so let's not start arguing politics, OK, as I'd rather not have this locked. 

• Like 10

I have not run but I participated in a sort of grassroots effort to turn over the elected officials in our township last fall.  Basically none of the incumbents were re-elected.  However, our township positions are nonpartisan (no party affiliation).

It might be helpful to know what sort of level of position you are looking for.

Some things I can point out based on this local race:

1) Going door to door is absolutely essential. A nonnegotiable.  Those that did not, or did not do it more than a couple times, did not win.  The woman I was behind spent hours and hours pounding the pavement.  The result? She beat an incumbent with over eight years in office by 67%/33%.  She had no prior political experience.

2) Arrange for local gatherings using people that are already behind you (in their neighborhood for example)--"coffee and candidates" type events can draw people in that might not come otherwise, and those people will talk to their friends.

3) Be prepared to spend a good amount of money on signage. A lot. Start raising funds now.  Start looking for inexpensive sources for them. Don't forget about the support poles for the large signs. They are pricey.

4) If you are running for local office, listening to people's issues, helping them find resources and following up with them means A LOT. Especially if the main issue you are running for is a lack of transparency/assistance to the common people in your community.

5) Facebook can be a great tool--but keep it positive.  Focus on your goals and don't resort to name calling the other candidate, no matter what happens. Our experience was the opposing candidate trolled my candidate's website, posted tons of derogatory stuff, and was just generally a jerk. He thought because he had more experience he could get away with it.  He was wrong. People noticed his attitude and took their impressions to the polls.

6) Show up at local meetings now, if this is a local position. It's hard to convince people you care if you haven't been involved for awhile. Do the local parades. Make yourself visible.

• Like 3

Awesome!

Yes I have been on the ballot, and won.  Very small office.

One key is to reach out to those currently in office, and a billion committee chairs .   It's all about talking to people, over and over.  You'd be amazed at who will feel slighted if they don't hear from you.

• Like 2

My advice, start smaller unless you have fabulous political connections and have already gotten the support of someone on the inside or just gobs of money to spend. Our experience is that all offices have “the winner†picked by those currently in office and while it is possible to upset, it’s harder to do the higher the office. The level of nasty games we have seen played in politics have convinced me political office isn’t worth it for “ideology†because very few in power believe in ideology. It’s all about feeling important, power, and money and they see “true believers†as a threat to that.

Stefanie

• Like 2

Check out ballotpedia for previous similar races in your state.  They frequently have links to campaign finance reports, which might give you a rough estimate of how much money you need to raise and how many votes are typically needed to win.

Edited by GGardner
  • Like 1

I have no experience, but I applaud you for even contemplating to run for political office.  Obviously, this is NOT something one does for the money. There was a story on FoxNews.com several days ago, that there are more than 30,000 U.S. Government employees who make more than the Governor of any state.

If you do not already have a Twitter account, I would suggest that you consider getting one and trying to learn how to "use" it properly.  Easier said than done...

The other thing I suggest, hopefully you are already doing, is to be very knowledgeable about the issues that have recently come up in your state legislature, issues likely to come up the next time around, and the financial situation of your state and the state budget.

If you have the time and the money to do this, go for it.   People with no previous experience in political office have won elections. You can too!

Good luck!

• Like 1

My advice, start smaller unless you have fabulous political connections and have already gotten the support of someone on the inside or just gobs of money to spend. Our experience is that all offices have “the winner†picked by those currently in office and while it is possible to upset, it’s harder to do the higher the office. The level of nasty games we have seen played in politics have convinced me political office isn’t worth it for “ideology†because very few in power believe in ideology. It’s all about feeling important, power, and money and they see “true believers†as a threat to that.

Stefanie

In my case, the only reason I'm running is because there is only one candidate, in the opposite party, currently running, and so I'd be the only "other" candidate in my party. I'd be the only one on the primary ballot for my party, and the incumbent will be the only candidate in his primary . . . There are only 34 state Senators in WV (17 districts, 4 year terms, half elected each 2 years), so my party is recruiting candidates for all the offices currently held by the opposing party, so that no opposing party incumbent runs unopposed. So, anyway, nobody has stepped up to run for this district yet, which is how I got myself into this mess, lol. 

I don't want to be a politician . . . but I do want my state to have better governance, so, I'll step up and run . . . because nobody else is, lol. I'm in the right loops/channels/secret FB groups to know who else is running, and that's how I got into this mess . . . Just today I posted another "Are you sure nobody else is running?" posts, lol. I mean, I've practically begged folks to run, but there just aren't that many folks who can and will run, given the economic/career sacrifices and general messiness of being in politics. So, I wouldn't be stepping on anyone's toes, because the only other candidate is the opposing party. 

Also, in my case, our state has a serious problem with *both major parties* being pretty much owned by corporate interests, in particular out of state big money / extraction industries while also having our relatively very poor population very neglected and basic state needs not being met (our governor just called in the National Guard to act as jail guards because our state pays its CO's so poorly and treats them so badly that they can't keep staffed . . . etc etc) . . . So, in my party, there is a grass roots movement to represent the "little guys" . . . and I'd be pretty much running as a "People, not Politics" candidate. (That's my current working slogan, lol.) 

• Like 1

Check out ballotpedia for previous similar races in your state.  They frequently have links to campaign finance reports, which might give you a rough estimate of how much money you need to raise and how many votes are typically needed to win.

Yah, that's a great resource. I've already stalked it a lot! You can actually see the donors for every candidate, etc. as well as the dollar figures. I'm thinking 30-50k will be my goal, as recent elections have raised about 30-40k for this office. It's mostly going to be shoe leather game, I think, which will be a lot of shoe leather in my very rural district!

• Like 1

I have not run but I participated in a sort of grassroots effort to turn over the elected officials in our township last fall.  Basically none of the incumbents were re-elected.  However, our township positions are nonpartisan (no party affiliation).

It might be helpful to know what sort of level of position you are looking for.

Some things I can point out based on this local race:

1) Going door to door is absolutely essential. A nonnegotiable.  Those that did not, or did not do it more than a couple times, did not win.  The woman I was behind spent hours and hours pounding the pavement.  The result? She beat an incumbent with over eight years in office by 67%/33%.  She had no prior political experience.

2) Arrange for local gatherings using people that are already behind you (in their neighborhood for example)--"coffee and candidates" type events can draw people in that might not come otherwise, and those people will talk to their friends.

3) Be prepared to spend a good amount of money on signage. A lot. Start raising funds now.  Start looking for inexpensive sources for them. Don't forget about the support poles for the large signs. They are pricey.

4) If you are running for local office, listening to people's issues, helping them find resources and following up with them means A LOT. Especially if the main issue you are running for is a lack of transparency/assistance to the common people in your community.

5) Facebook can be a great tool--but keep it positive.  Focus on your goals and don't resort to name calling the other candidate, no matter what happens. Our experience was the opposing candidate trolled my candidate's website, posted tons of derogatory stuff, and was just generally a jerk. He thought because he had more experience he could get away with it.  He was wrong. People noticed his attitude and took their impressions to the polls.

6) Show up at local meetings now, if this is a local position. It's hard to convince people you care if you haven't been involved for awhile. Do the local parades. Make yourself visible.

Our local town did exactly the same thing this winter!! We 100% turned over the city council!!! All 7 were replaced by progressives!! Lots of exciting change!! I participated in that process, even though we live in the boonies and so can't vote in that election . . . The same groups that found all those progressives to run in each ward are now working the same process to find candidates for all state offices . . . which is how I got into this mess, lol.

Thanks for so much great and specific advice! All excellent!

• Like 1

I always planned to at some point but things have shaped up for me in a way that I don't think I will.  I've been elected as a party official a number of times and I think I will probably return to that side of things once the kids are older. 

Why the change of heart?  Besides just an unexpectedly high level of family responsibilities, I have been very involved in local campaigns and seeing how vicious these things can get is part of why I don't think I will ever run. We have a top two primary system which for most local offices here means the general election is now two people of the same party going all "I am more legit progressive than thou" on each other and I think that's nonsense.   Also, there's no dearth of people I like to run for office here so I don't feel the need.  I might be more interested if we lived in an area where more than one party was actually competitive.  

ETA:  Congrats on running.  I think it's awesome when people do what you are doing.  Good luck!  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 1

In my case, the only reason I'm running is because there is only one candidate, in the opposite party, currently running, and so I'd be the only "other" candidate in my party. I'd be the only one on the primary ballot for my party, and the incumbent will be the only candidate in his primary . . . There are only 34 state Senators in WV (17 districts, 4 year terms, half elected each 2 years), so my party is recruiting candidates for all the offices currently held by the opposing party, so that no opposing party incumbent runs unopposed. So, anyway, nobody has stepped up to run for this district yet, which is how I got myself into this mess, lol. 

Even more of a red flag in my opinion.  If it were a viable seat then they wouldn't be so desperate to field a candidate.  The big money interests on your side would already have their bought and paid for candidate in place.  Not only that, expect nasty.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything....but I've just BTDT too many times.  My DH is currently in the same position.   He's running his 5th race, 4 have been in primaries in his own party ® and this time as the lone candidate from his party against the other.  The funny thing; everyone on our side has said he's running against the most conservative member of the council.  

Things I've seen:

State Senate (not my district):  The incumbent R was about to be busted for a career ending infraction so he had a primary challenger.  It didn't come out until after the filing period was over.  Since the people running the party on the R side didn't like the primary challenger, the Ds and Rs got together to vote for the well known about to resign incumbent so both sides could have a do over in a special election.

State House (not my district):  The incumbent bought robocalls that had recordings of made up endorsements for his opponent and ran them at 1 - 3 am.  

County Party Chair:  Two incumbents are mad at the party leadership, one because all but three of the precinct chairs endorsed his opponent last time.  They have put up a challenger for the county chair seat so now we have an intra-party war and they haven't been subtle about the whole point being to put their people in power.

I've also seen them monkeying the numbers on the electronic ballot boxes.

The bottom line.....when it comes down to it, VERY few voters care about talking points and issues.  Even the ones who say they do don't actually vote where their mouth is.  I've seen it in 4 elections now.  Don't be naive and think elections are about issues, they aren't.  They are about name id only.  And it takes *a lot* of money to get your name out (don't count on donations either).  They need to see your name 7 - 8 times to get it to stick enough to make a vote.  If you talk to someone at the door, make sure you try to get them to commit to voting for you.  

Voter rolls are public information.  The counties in your office's district should have a way for you to get a list of who voted in which elections. Get that list so you at least know who votes and how.  Primary voters are more dedicated voters and should be the higher priority for door knocking and mailers.  Warning, its a lot of names to process so get started now.  Sometimes the party will have a voter database that you can access to help create walking lists.  It's usefulness depends upon how well your state party manages it.

Good luck.  

Stefanie

• Like 1

Someone in my family did and I got a very upclose view of this.  Same position that you are running for.

My view is that it is an industry/business just like any other.  

My family member lost.  There were actually 3 people running I think. All politicians, but one of them is a total crook.  He won.

(maybe that's the secret! LOL)

You need to be in the party that people vote for in your area whether you like it or not.

You need to have the best story.  

There are lots of things you will need to manage...from photo ops, to going to the right places and social clubs, lunches with the right people, driving an american car, avoiding associating with lots of other people, manipulating your social media, having the appearance of loving family..it goes on an on.

Even more of a red flag in my opinion.  If it were a viable seat then they wouldn't be so desperate to field a candidate.  The big money interests on your side would already have their bought and paid for candidate in place.  Not only that, expect nasty.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade or anything....but I've just BTDT too many times.  My DH is currently in the same position.   He's running his 5th race, 4 have been in primaries in his own party ® and this time as the lone candidate from his party against the other.  The funny thing; everyone on our side has said he's running against the most conservative member of the council.  

Things I've seen:

State Senate (not my district):  The incumbent R was about to be busted for a career ending infraction so he had a primary challenger.  It didn't come out until after the filing period was over.  Since the people running the party on the R side didn't like the primary challenger, the Ds and Rs got together to vote for the well known about to resign incumbent so both sides could have a do over in a special election.

State House (not my district):  The incumbent bought robocalls that had recordings of made up endorsements for his opponent and ran them at 1 - 3 am.  

County Party Chair:  Two incumbents are mad at the party leadership, one because all but three of the precinct chairs endorsed his opponent last time.  They have put up a challenger for the county chair seat so now we have an intra-party war and they haven't been subtle about the whole point being to put their people in power.

I've also seen them monkeying the numbers on the electronic ballot boxes.

The bottom line.....when it comes down to it, VERY few voters care about talking points and issues.  Even the ones who say they do don't actually vote where their mouth is.  I've seen it in 4 elections now.  Don't be naive and think elections are about issues, they aren't.  They are about name id only.  And it takes *a lot* of money to get your name out (don't count on donations either).  They need to see your name 7 - 8 times to get it to stick enough to make a vote.  If you talk to someone at the door, make sure you try to get them to commit to voting for you.  

Voter rolls are public information.  The counties in your office's district should have a way for you to get a list of who voted in which elections. Get that list so you at least know who votes and how.  Primary voters are more dedicated voters and should be the higher priority for door knocking and mailers.  Warning, its a lot of names to process so get started now.  Sometimes the party will have a voter database that you can access to help create walking lists.  It's usefulness depends upon how well your state party manages it.

Good luck.  

Stefanie

Thanks for your insights and details of your experiences.

I'm OK with losing if I lose. I'm OK with being the sacrificial lamb, lol. It's a long shot race, but so was Doug Jones in Alabama (and I sent him money from WV, lol) . . . I've got thick skin when it comes to folks I don't know . . . I'm sensitive to criticism from people I know and respect, but strangers can think whatever they want and it really doesn't phase me, lol. 

I do have guidance from other state candidates on getting the voter data, etc, and I think that'll be all good. 

Honestly, though, we're talking WV . . . these are small potato races. I doubt the national parties will even glance at us, as we're soooooo one-party right now, and we're sort of written off by the national parties. My district went about 3 to 2 for the "other" candidate in 2014, so we're talking slim odds, but I am cool with playing a part in changing the conversations. I am who I am, and I'm OK with losing, but I'm not OK with not trying. 

Before 14 months ago, I could have been complacent. But, no more complacency in my house. For me, the last 14 months has been an endless crisis of faith in human decency . . . and so, I'm going to do what I can to do the right thing, and if that doesn't result in a win, I'm OK with that. I'm not OK with doing nothing, and so that definitely means I'm not OK with a cray-cray state legislature having one of their incumbents -- who is on the opposite side of most issues from what I believe in . . . (and that is one of just 34 in this, the upper chamber!) . . . run unopposed. So, that means it's me. I'm cool with it. I've taken much bigger risks and made much greater sacrifices for smaller reasons . . .

Dh and I worked 160 hr/wk between us for several years of early business ownership, under constant risk of bankruptcy and failure . . . while with having 3 kids under 7. . . and we were over a million dollars in debt . . . and later, we took care of my mom with Alzheimer's for years, the last 18 months in our home, while it underwent a 2000 sf addition and an entire-house renovation . . . while we were all living in it and it took 18  months instead of 6 . . . I held both each of my parents' hands while they died . . . Life's hard, but I'm tough, lol. Politics don't scare me a bit. Come at me -- I'm bullet proof. 

And, besides, my mom would be *so proud* of me for trying. 

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 3

Someone in my family did and I got a very upclose view of this.  Same position that you are running for.

My view is that it is an industry/business just like any other.  

My family member lost.  There were actually 3 people running I think. All politicians, but one of them is a total crook.  He won.

(maybe that's the secret! LOL)

You need to be in the party that people vote for in your area whether you like it or not.

You need to have the best story.  

There are lots of things you will need to manage...from photo ops, to going to the right places and social clubs, lunches with the right people, driving an american car, avoiding associating with lots of other people, manipulating your social media, having the appearance of loving family..it goes on an on.

Re: the car. . .

In WV, the state car is Subaru. Not officially, perhaps, but by far, the car everyone who really lives here for more than few years drives. Our family has 4 drivers and 4 cars, 3 of them Subarus, lol. It may not be American, but it's as WV'ian as they come. (I swear, come to WV and you'll see it. Literally half the cars will be Subarus at many events! Subarus have high clearance (for potholes and ditches), AWD (for our snowy and rarely if ever plowed roads), and it's got decent gas mileage and is fairly priced (good for relatively poor and definitely not snotty/show-offy WV'ians). 

ETA: re: the crook winning. Our last WV governor's primary, we had 3 Democrats running. 2 were very good candidates. One was a scumbag (who had just changed his registration from Republican to Democrat just in time to be in the Democratic primary). The scumbag won, and then went on to with the Governor (as a Democrat, in 2016, while Trump took the state by a landslide. Get that?), and then soon enough jumped parties back to the GOP, so now we've got a GOP governor (who is just as scummy a Republican as he is a Democrat). Everyone hates him now, lol. Really, everyone. No doubt he'll win again in a few years, though, because he is really rich . . . That said, there are really scumbags on both sides of the aisle here (and likely everywhere). If good people who aren't in it for the money or whatever don't run, then we're just giving up our democracy. . . 

Edited by StephanieZ

Re: the car. . .

In WV, the state car is Subaru. Not officially, perhaps, but by far, the car everyone who really lives here for more than few years drives. Our family has 4 drivers and 4 cars, 3 of them Subarus, lol. It may not be American, but it's as WV'ian as they come. (I swear, come to WV and you'll see it. Literally half the cars will be Subarus at many events! Subarus have high clearance (for potholes and ditches), AWD (for our snowy and rarely if ever plowed roads), and it's got decent gas mileage and is fairly priced (good for relatively poor and definitely not snotty/show-offy WV'ians). 

ETA: re: ...That said, there are really scumbags on both sides of the aisle here (and likely everywhere). If good people who aren't in it for the money or whatever don't run, then we're just giving up our democracy. . . 

Funny about the car.  I've only been WV once and that was a long time ago!

I have experience with the crookedness on both sides of the aisle.  I'm very jaded.  Scapegoats are made to cover up and the real dirt are still running things and making the $$$.  

I don't believe it's giving up on our democracy or whatever.  It is a corrupt system and it's very hard to not be tainted by it. There are a few who manage.

I do think the most power is in citizen power and beyond and maybe regardless of voting, but in making desires known, but most of us have jobs and families and it takes that little bit extra effort to make it happen and to sustain it.  

• Like 1

I have never run for any office, but I distinctly remember voting for an individual who made a point of not only coming out my dead-end road, but driving over my creek and then coming out across the field to speak to me where I was tending a bonfire and reading to my boys one afternoon. I absolutely remembered his name and face when it came time to vote. So getting out there and talking to people would be a good place to start in my opinion.

Best of luck!

• Like 3

I’ve helped others run in many races - especially state legislature. Ground game and shoe leather wins over money pretty much every time, especially in a smaller office and more rural area. Knock on doors and talk to constituents. ALL of them. At least once. Make door hangers and carry doggy treats, and above all else listen to what they have to say is concerning to them.

I’m positive we are on opposite sides of the aisle on this, but the strategy works regardless. Expend energy, a few hours a day, and canvas like mad. Your name getting around one on one is the very best way to garner a voting base. A few select mailers closer to the election to remind people, or managing to make a second circuit of the princints, and you will have done the very best effort you can.

I’ve seen multiple candidates come from nowhere and win, not because of money or ideology, but because they outworked their opponent.

This. A million times this. If the people think you hear them and care, it makes a huge difference. We had people come to vote that had not previously voted in prior elections just because someone came and talked to them. My candidate friend called local agencies for people, contacted the Township officials to get things moving, and generally proved she cared about people by just listening and following up.

Incidentally, the candidate I assisted also enlisted our help in going door to door. It's good to have a strategy ahead of time. Figure out how many precincts you are dealing with, make note of the ones you covered, and divide and conquer, so to speak. 

Another one of our friends is on a city council--his primary advice to a mutual friend (who was also running) was to go door to door. Nothing else achieves the same results. 

One of the people running tried to have a running event at a local restaurant under the premise that people could meet him there and ask questions. That does not work. Only about one or two people showed up. If he had spent those two hours every week just knocking on doors, it would have been a greater impact.

Lastly, don't underestimate the impression your running will make on young girls and women in your area.  The person I helped with her campaign was a SAHM, a homeschooler, and largely unknown, but fighting to get our local voice back. Through her aggressive campaigning in neighborhoods, her name got out and girls would come to the door to meet her. She was inspirational. 

• Like 3

I just saw a quote by Shirley Chisholm that made me think you you...

If they don’t give you a seat at the table, bring a folding chair.

Good for you for running. Even if you don’t win, you will make a difference. This year is about making a difference. Contact me, and I will start writing postcards. Really, pm me.

• Like 3