Menu

Cabbage rolls recipe?

ScoutTN

A simple meat free version https://theminimalistvegan.com/vegan-cabbage-rolls/

Meat filled cabbage rolls are a staple of Polish cooking but in times of food shortages when I was growing up, many people made them like this - with lentils or buckwheat and chopped mushrooms.  

I'm going to make these as soon as I'm off my pre-colonoscopy diet!  :)

• Like 1

One tip I have is to cut around the core, put the cabbage in a microwave safe bowl covered in plastic wrap, microwave for several minutes then let sit to steam in the bowl.  Then the leaves peal off easily and you don't have to deal with a large pot of boiling water.

I make mine without the starch.  I use chopped sauteed mushrooms instead.

• Like 3

Mine is without tomato sauce. I use the microwave trick and then remove the large veins and make mine all finger sized (so larger leaves may be cut into 2 or 3 pieces)

Filling: calrose rice, ground beef or lamb, 7 spices (not the Chinese one, the middle eastern version) I eyeball the ratio. We like them meatier than some.

Fill and roll.

Line bottom of stockpot with some peeled, sliced potatoes (these are yummy as they absorb the flavors)

Layer the cabbage rolls adding in peeled garlic cloves between layers (some smash the garlic for more garlicky flavor). Cover with an upside down glass or ceramic plate. Then mix lemon juice with water and pour over till you can just see the liquid level even with the top layer of rolls. Cover pot and put on low heat for several hours. You can check them and add more water/lemon juice if it is getting low. Be generous with the lemon juice as the lemon and garlic combined make the dish.

• Like 3

I made a variant of this recipe for New Year's Day and it was a hit with everyone.

It is a similar recipe to my grandmother's recipe that was brought over from Europe.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ribs--n--stuffed-cabbage

Here is what I changed:

For the sauce I mixed in 5 TBS of sugar and 2.5 TBS of white vinegar

I did not use as much sauerkraut that the recipe called for. Instead I sprinkled it in between the layers.

I sprinkled paprika on top of the sauce layers.

I could not find spare ribs so I used short ribs that I first browned and then placed on top of the cabbage rolls.

The last thing I did differently is I cooked everything in the Instant Pot in two batches.

Another tip is to use ground meat with a higher fat content so the inside has a creamy texture.

Edited by SJ.
  • Like 1

wow that recipe looks so good 

I made a variant of this recipe for New Year's Day and it was a hit with everyone.
It is a similar recipe to my grandmother's recipe that was brought over from Europe.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/ribs--n--stuffed-cabbage

Here is what I changed:
For the sauce I mixed in 5 TBS of sugar and 2.5 TBS of white vinegar

I did not use as much sauerkraut that the recipe called for. Instead I sprinkled it in between the layers.

I sprinkled paprika on top of the sauce layers.

I could not find spare ribs so I used short ribs that I first browned and then placed on top of the cabbage rolls.

The last thing I did differently is I cooked everything in the Instant Pot in two batches.

Another tip is to use ground meat with a higher fat content so the inside has a creamy texture.

I love cabbage rolls. I do not love the work. So I now make what is jokingly referred to as Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls. I sauté the meat and onion and spices. Add in the cabbage sliced thin and sauté that with it. Add in a can of petite diced tomatoes. Let it all simmer until the cabbage is wilty. Serve over rice. All the flavors, 1/2 the work.

• Like 6

I love cabbage rolls. I do not love the work. So I now make what is jokingly referred to as Deconstructed Cabbage Rolls. I sauté the meat and onion and spices. Add in the cabbage sliced thin and sauté that with it. Add in a can of petite diced tomatoes. Let it all simmer until the cabbage is wilty. Serve over rice. All the flavors, 1/2 the work.

I make a Reuben casserole (instead of sandwiches) for similar reasons. And the rye toast can be on the side for LC eaters. 

I've always had them with some rice inside (usually mixed with some ground meat), and tomato sauce on the outside. I grew up in "Edmonchuk" AB and my relatives are from Dauphin, MB, so thick Ukrainian and Polish blood. Sadly, I can't make them, but I gobble up baba's.

Yes, with rice. But now I'm wondering how riced cauliflower would do.

Mine is without tomato sauce. I use the microwave trick and then remove the large veins and make mine all finger sized (so larger leaves may be cut into 2 or 3 pieces)

Filling: calrose rice, ground beef or lamb, 7 spices (not the Chinese one, the middle eastern version) I eyeball the ratio. We like them meatier than some.

Fill and roll.

Line bottom of stockpot with some peeled, sliced potatoes (these are yummy as they absorb the flavors)

Layer the cabbage rolls adding in peeled garlic cloves between layers (some smash the garlic for more garlicky flavor). Cover with an upside down glass or ceramic plate. Then mix lemon juice with water and pour over till you can just see the liquid level even with the top layer of rolls. Cover pot and put on low heat for several hours. You can check them and add more water/lemon juice if it is getting low. Be generous with the lemon juice as the lemon and garlic combined make the dish.

I made cabbage rolls last night, the Betty Crocker version with a tomato sauce. Your version sounds amazing. A question: Is your rice cooked first, or raw, when mixed with the meat. Also, what spices are usually in the 7 spice mixture? Thanks.

I made cabbage rolls last night, the Betty Crocker version with a tomato sauce. Your version sounds amazing. A question: Is your rice cooked first, or raw, when mixed with the meat. Also, what spices are usually in the 7 spice mixture? Thanks.

The rice is raw. It is important to use calrose, other rices make the rolls burst.

This link shows how to mix your own:

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/arabic-7-seven-spice-bokharat-194721

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Fill and roll.

Wow, what a perfectly satisfying winter meal! Sounds scrumptious.

I do this with lamb cuts. A motherly Croatian friend taught me years ago. It's been a long time since I made it, thanks for the reminder.

I grew up in "Edmonchuk" AB and my relatives are from Dauphin, MB, so thick Ukrainian and Polish blood. Sadly, I can't make them, but I gobble up baba's. 

An old friend of mine's parents were Polish, first generation American. Her mother's galumpkis and peirogis were the best! 

I loved eating at her house for her mother's Polish food. She loved eating at my house for my mother's Italian food (mom was 2nd gen American).

As for me, I just make unstuffed cabbage. It's easy, totally not authentic, but still tasty.

• Like 1

I've always had them with some rice inside (usually mixed with some ground meat), and tomato sauce on the outside. I grew up in "Edmonchuk" AB and my relatives are from Dauphin, MB, so thick Ukrainian and Polish blood. Sadly, I can't make them, but I gobble up baba's.

These are a Christmas staple. The other Christmas staple cabbage rolls (yes, always two kinds, sometimes more) are rice with sauteed onion and sidepork filling, topped with sauerkraut. Polish ancestry here, too.

I can make both, but can’t really give an exact recipe because it’s all done by eyeballing it. I can give general directions if someone wants it.

Edited by fraidycat