Menu

Orthodontists?

MomtoCandJ

How many orthodontist consults are recommended? Dd1 just turned 9 and has spacing issues. She has lost her top 4 teeth but only 2 of them has come in, there just isn’t enough space for her other 2 to come down. We have one consult with her dentist scheduled for March (at $320!!) we like him because he is local should something come up and dd1 is used to him. I would like to get other opinions but not if each consult is going to cost me $300+, especially if I have to drive an hour+ to get there (all other orthodontists are that far away or more).

Consults are free around here. I went to 3-4 places because the approaches and prices varied wildly. I went with a place with a well run office (no waits) and a conservative approach to treatment. Definitely shop around. My ds just got his off, similar issue. We did a palate expander and braces. Rough but worth it.

• Like 2

We did only one. I think we have another ortho in town? but this was who everyone we know goes to, and we liked him fine.

I would highly advise to not go to one an hour away unless you really have no choice. DS has monthly visits--and sometimes more frequently--for around 2 years. That would be a LOT of driving to appointments if it were far away.

We did three consults, all free. I think I was just waiting to find a doctor that sounded reasonable to me, as far as what to do.

Ours believe in waiting for kids to grow; the others wanted to pull several of ds’ teeth to ‘make room’, and then do several years of appliances to move the jaw or who knows what.

Fast forward 5 years (we are still waiting) and ds’ teeth look really good, with nice spacing and plenty of room. His mouth grew along with him, and his once overly crowded mouth is now normal looking. He will still need braces for minor cosmetic straightening, but nothing major. He’ll go to the orthodontist after he loses his last tooth.

We did 3 - two were completely free and the 3rd wanted to charge about $350.

The $350 office was for a primary x-ray and a complete surround x-ray too (sorry for my lack of technical terms). We had the main x-ray send from my dentist and then we had the second place that did a free consultation with x-rays send those x-rays over to the 3rd office. Then the only fee was $60 for photos (that took all of 10-15 minutes to take). 

So if you get the x-rays done somewhere for free, get copies of them set to other people to save money and also because you don't want to do multiple unnecessary xray's either. The 3rd office's manager was very proactive letting me know I could request the x-rays from our previous consultation and said that if they were part of a free consultation that we legally had a right to them. Turns out, we'll probably be going with the one that shared the x-rays and not the place that wanted me to jump through so many hoops (and pay so much) for a consultation.

Our initial consult was free. When we decided to go ahead we had the xrays, pictures, and impressions which was probably about $350-400. After that was done we got the more detailed treatment plan and cost. So, that was part of the initial set up but the first consultation was free and the next part was done after deciding we were comfortable with the dr.

My dd with braces had just turned 9 when she started. She is doing pretty well but tends to break a lot of brackets. Comfort with your dr. is important but so is location. It would be hard to have an orthodontist an hour away unless there was no other option and you are used to driving an hour for everything. You'll be spending alot of time with these folks so make sure you are comfortable with the staff. I think bedside manner is probably more important than in some other medical settings.

ohhhh ok so then technically we have done a few consultations then with him if it’s basic X-rays and a peek at her mouth (done during cleanings). He didn’t come up with a complete treatment plan but did say something about spacers and possible palate expander.

We will probably stick with him because of distance (20 minute one way if roads are really bad, other orthodontists are 1 hour plus when roads are good) and that dd1 is used to him and comfortable at his office.

Edited by MomtoCandJ

ohhhh ok so then technically we have done a few consultations then with him if it’s basic X-rays and a peek at her mouth (done during cleanings). He didn’t come up with a complete treatment plan but did say something about spacers and possible palate expander.

We will probably stick with him because of distance (20 minute one way if roads are really bad, other orthodontists are 1 hour plus when roads are good) and that dd1 is used to him and comfortable at his office.

Please tell me that her dentist is not doing the orthodontics.

Please tell me that her dentist is not doing the orthodontics.

Umm. Yes. Chiming in to say please see an orthodontist. Please please. And get more than one consult.

Ours have been free. Treatment plans have varied widely. I found an ortho who is very conservative and I feel very comfortable talking with him. It was worth the hassle of multiple consults.

Do not use a dentist if it’s braces and expanders and all that. It’s not their area of expertise.

I won’t even see a dentist who tries to put braces on my kids. I want them to clean teeth. Not do braces.

But you’re not even clear if you’re actually starting treatment. Which is what it sounds like. That is a huge red flag. Were they not up front about the fact that you are starting the treatment plan? Have they not laid out all the costs and the full plan?

I would not be comfortable with that. Ours has been very transparent about prices and our options for treatment and for payment.

You sound unsure if you’ve actually had a consult or if they’re even planning to begin treatment. That’s not ok. It’s a big expense and commitment. You should be totally clear on everything up front.

• Like 1

Yes, he is certified as both. The people I have spoken with that use him as an orthodontist recommend him and many people I know go to him as both orthodontist and dentist.

Please, please go for a few opinions. While some are certified as both there is a big difference in someone who only does one. Orthodontics is constantly growing and streamlining treatments. Also, just FYI tr orthodontist X-rays are a bit different from the dental X-rays. And those X-rays were free with our consult.

I know this is not everyone but I have met quite a few people on the orthodontist waiting room who are having to get treatment redone or corrected from a dentist who did the treatment.

But you’re not even clear if you’re actually starting treatment. Which is what it sounds like. That is a huge red flag. Were they not up front about the fact that you are starting the treatment plan? Have they not laid out all the costs and the full plan?

I would not be comfortable with that. Ours has been very transparent about prices and our options for treatment and for payment.

You sound unsure if you’ve actually had a consult or if they’re even planning to begin treatment. That’s not ok. It’s a big expense and commitment. You should be totally clear on everything up front.

I agree. I knew the plan upfront even and the cost before we did anything.

Impressions doesn't sound like a consult to me, that sounds like starting the treatment.  

This really varies by area.

We had one fool of an orthodontist who would only tell us what a treatment plan would look like AFTER we did the full X-ray series and impressions. We didn't make the followup appointment.

For everybody else (two people through braces now, one who has done just consults and we're waiting on 12 year molars to come in....) the consults have been free. We just had the pano sent in from the ped dentist.

We only had one ortho consult and it was free. We live in a small town where all orthos are 1 1/2 hours away.

This one is conservative, gives options, prices,and tells you which option he would do if it was his kid (often the "wait" option). The other difference with this one is that they have two (was one) days in town each month for the easy appointments (new wires, headgear checks, fixing brackets, etc.). Putting on, taking off braces, and x-rays are all at the main, far away office. They rent a local dentist office (when they are closed) for the satellite appointments.