Menu

Encountered a unique gift? Post it here.

Kareni

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PerpetualKid.com has a lot of irreverent stocking stuffers type items. A smidge more crass than sophisticated and closer to gag gifts (potty mouth, political and not exactly for kids but funny, goodforalaugh stuff).

I finally got a chance to browse the site, Laria.  This amuses me:

Stuck On Ewe Push Pin holder

Also, is this the multi-tool hairclip?  https://www.amazon.com/Mini-Multitool-Clip-Multi-Functional-Scrapper/dp/B010T7CGVE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1512080409&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=multi+tool+hair+clip&psc=1  I see it available at ThinkGeek and several other places, too.  Definitely interested in this for dd!

Don't ask me what I was expecting, but it wasn't that.  How neat!  But now I'm wondering if TSA would allow it on a plane ....

Regards,

Kareni

For those across the pond (or who feel like paying international shipping) the British Museum has some absolutely gorgeous items. 

https://www.britishmuseumshoponline.org/

They may not be gorgeous, but I like these:

The Tale of Peter Rabbit (Hieroglyph Edition)

Roman rubber duck

for the hippo fan: Hippo hanging decoration (British Museum exclusive)

And this is certainly appealing: Carpe Diem bracelet

Regards,

Kareni

The multi-tool hairclip comes from Anima Causa, but they are sold out in the silver, so I might have to go with the pink from Amazon. I want the one with the nail file instead of the one with the cutting edge, because...I'm afraid dd will cut herself with the serrated edge! lol 

• Like 5

I know this site has been shared before, but I'm getting our oldest ds a t-shirt printed with the text of his favorite classic book, The Call of the Wild.  https://www.litographs.com/collections/the-call-of-the-wild/products/wild-tee

I'm glad that you shared it! I might have seen it last year but had forgotten about it. Now I'm trying to decide if I like this illustration for Frankenstein. 

• Like 2

I know this site has been shared before, but I'm getting our oldest ds a t-shirt printed with the text of his favorite classic book, The Call of the Wild.  https://www.litographs.com/collections/the-call-of-the-wild/products/wild-tee

The site has some wonderful items.  I hope your son enjoys his t-shirt!

That is charming; thanks for posting the link, trulycrabby.

Ok, I found something else that I think is unique and interesting:  a hand screen printed calendar - a family has been creating and printing these for over 40 years. Their story is kinda neat! 

https://www.etsy.com/listing/471085406/2018-dolphin-studio-calendar-hand-screen?ref=shop_home_feat_1

A neat story indeed, Mothersweets.

Regards,

Kareni

My girl is getting a build-your-own-computer kit this year. It is based off of a Raspberry Pi, and is Minecraft themed.  I may win Mother of the Year in her eyes.  

Oldest is getting armature wire to up the skill level on her clay creations.

My boy asked for a Matador Blanket and Travel Hammock to add to his camping supply hoard. 

I asked for an Accubow this year, hoping to increase my archery score.

I'm making DH's gift this year - a promise to have the cookie jar filled on the 1st of every month (I'm a great baker, but lack motivation since I can't eat the cookies myself)  I'll wrap up my cookbook and have him pick out which recipes he wants.

• Like 11

My girl is getting a build-your-own-computer kit this year. It is based off of a Raspberry Pi, and is Minecraft themed.  I may win Mother of the Year in her eyes.  

Some nifty choices, Plink, thanks for sharing.  I hope you get to be Mother of the Year!

I'm making DH's gift this year - a promise to have the cookie jar filled on the 1st of every month (I'm a great baker, but lack motivation since I can't eat the cookies myself)  I'll wrap up my cookbook and have him pick out which recipes he wants.

What a fun idea.  I think you may also be a contender for Wife of the Year.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

Some more gifts ~

The Silent Squeaking Dog Toys

What I want to know is  ~ How do you know if this works?  How do you know if it breaks?

These look like fun for the right personThe Mirthful Sommelier's Wine Glasses

I'd like to know how this works as it looks like a pillow I'd enjoy ~ The Side Sleeper's Ergonomic Pillow

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

SebastianCat posted this in a different thread, but I  think it would definitely fit here:

For a Christmas gift the year that my MIL passed away, my BIL got my SIL a wooden cutting board engraved with my MIL's handwritten chocolate cake recipe, which she always made for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and vacations.  It looks just like this one.  It was a very special gift - especially since it was in MIL's handwriting.   

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 5

Oh, I wish I could find this IRL. I'd hate to pay for shipping for this. I sorta kinda have one roll of gift wrap assigned to each family member. I would get this for DH b/c he loves this commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl3l6Bq6bMo

Edited by Angie in VA

These little Om figurines are adorable. My dd found them about a year ago when she asked for a couple. My dc got me Cheleb & he sits on my desk & makes me smile every time I see him. Dd has more on her list for Christmas this year. (I may have to add Tyl -- the owl one -- on my list this year.)

For my ds, a huge fan of the Baby Driver movie, a t-shirt.

And, also for ds, a hot sauce challenge box (from Target -- it's in the holiday food/gift section).

ETA: Superfight card game

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 6

Color Your Own Pillowcase https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/color-your-own-map-pillowcase. The color washes out when you launder it so you can color it again, too!

I love this! Do you think it's too young for an 11yo? 

They have a dinosaur one, too, and also a color your own Earth - sweet!

Edited by Mothersweets
  • Like 1

Color Your Own Pillowcase https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/color-your-own-map-pillowcase. The color washes out when you launder it so you can color it again, too!

I love this! Do you think it's too young for an 11yo?

Given the intricacy of the design, I don't think it's at all too young for an eleven year old ... or for an adult!  I see there is also a duvet cover you can color if a pillowcase does not give you an adequate challenge.

I see lots of other unique gift possibilities on the site:

Some math humor ... i eight sum pi plates

or practical math ...Pizza Cutting Protractor

I haven't seen one of these before; this is neat!  ... Galileo Globe Thermometer

Who knows when one needs an ... Emergency Clown Nose... or a Dog Egg Mold?

For the cat lover: Cantankerous Cats Card Game

For the lover of Shakespeare: Bards Dispense Profanity Game

For the puzzle aficionado: 1000 Colors Puzzle

And for that extra $3000 you have burning a hole in your pocket: Vintage Stamp Collage Art

I'd forgotten quite how much I like this site!  Thanks for some pleasant time spent browsing, Mothersweets.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

PerpetualKid.com has a lot of irreverent stocking stuffers type items. A smidge more crass than sophisticated and closer to gag gifts (potty mouth, political and not exactly for kids but funny, goodforalaugh stuff).

Thanks for this site - my brother's Christmas gifts are now winging their way to me! And my dad's gift will now include some wafer thin mints, because he always quotes that Monty Python line. 

• Like 3

This is not totally unique, but I found it to be a lovely gift at a very reasonable price.  You can customize charms, and it comes in a beautiful box with a little story-type card.  Excellent for graduations as well.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/GutsyGoodness?ref=l2-shopheader-name

There are some fun designs there; I have a friend who would like  Never Underestimate A Woman Who Loves Elephants Necklace

This one looks like a great graduation gift:  And Off She Went to Change the World.

Thanks for sharing the link, goldberry.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

My Dd14 is hard to shop for, because she is into experiences more than stuff. Dh bought an old trunk at an auction last summer and it has just been sitting in our garage. I decided to give the trunk a backstory with a mystery to solve, something like an escape room without a time limit. I'm putting in a mix of retro/vintage stuff that will be used for the backstory/puzzle and that she will hopefully like - dresses in her size, old coins in a coin purse that belonged to Grammy, a book that was my great-aunt's, a journal that can be refilled, etc.  The overall gift isn't something to buy, so I don't know if it belongs in this thread. But the general idea is something unusual that anyone could do.

• Like 17

My Dd14 is hard to shop for, because she is into experiences more than stuff. Dh bought an old trunk at an auction last summer and it has just been sitting in our garage. I decided to give the trunk a backstory with a mystery to solve, something like an escape room without a time limit. ....

You're quite creative, Meriwether!  I hope that your daughter enjoys her gift.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

I am getting DD12 and DS9 (harry potter fans) these light switches: https://www.etsy.com/listing/490910617/lumos-nox-wooden-light-switch-plate?ref=

Those do look like fun!

I love just about everything this lady does but it is a little out of my range: https://www.etsy.com/listing/544414961/anatomical-heart-diagram?ref=shop_home_active_4

Wow, she does have some creative items, but sadly most of her items are well outside my budget, too.  We can always drool from afar or ... learn to embroider!

Regards,

Kareni

A few more items ~

Custom Morse Code, Morse Code Bracelet,

SeaISee Solid silver 925 cute elephant resizable ring

Corgi Succulent Vase Flower Pot

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I just posted this in another thread and thought it would fit here, too.

When my daughter was studying Latin in high school, we bought her Harrius Potter et Philosophi Lapis (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Latin edition) by J. K. Rowling and Peter Needham. 

[We've since given her copies of the book in Ancient Greek (now out of print) and Korean.]

For those studying Latin, there are a number of fun children's books available.  My daughter went on to major in Latin in college, so she now has something of a collection.

Regards,
Kareni

This one isn't pretty, but will hopefully be functional. Nerdwax is beeswax and other stuff that you put on the nose piece of your glasses to help them stay on. My son marches and his glasses slide down all the time; my dd's glasses slid off so frequently at work she doesn't wear them anymore when she's working. I hope this will help them.

Edited by wilrunner
  • Like 3

This one isn't pretty, but will hopefully be functional. Nerdwax is beeswax and other stuff that you put on the nose piece of your glasses to help them stay on.

What a nifty product!  I hope it will be a success for both of your children and that you report back after the holidays, wilrunner.

Regards,

Kareni

Here's a post from a different thread because it may inspire someone reading here ~

I had someone give me some ancient Greek voting coins when I was studying it in college. I thought those were so cool and because they were plentiful in ancient times, they can be gotten from eBay for a decent price.

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni, this is a great thread.

Thank you kindly!

A few more discoveries ~

Algebraic Love Scarf Sheet Music Infinity Scarf

Chemistry Lab Fit & Flare Dress

Solar System Bangles Bracelet

Morse Code “Goodnight†Glow-in-the-Dark Adult Lounge Pants

The site currently has a sale ~ https://svahausa.com/pages/holiday-deal

Regards,

Kareni