Menu

Deadliest terror attack in Egypt to date (over 300 killed at mosque)

Stacia

I had not heard.  

They are saying it is now over 300.

This was posted in a US News Report article:

"There was no claim of responsibility for the attack, the deadliest by Islamic extremists in Egypt's modern history. The mosque is frequented by Sufi Muslims, a mystic school of Islam that militants consider heretic."

Horrible

They're saying at least 27 of those killed were children. :(  

This is really tough for me with family in Egypt and aligning myself more Sufi.

To add an educational aspect, if a Muslim dies, you usually say "Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un"

which basically means to God we belong and to God we return.   It kind of reaffirms the Muslim belief

that one's length of life is predetermined.... that God gives us life, and so God can take it away.  (Maybe not the best explanation....perhaps others will add to it.)

• Like 5

This is so horrible. I wondered where this had happened because I caught only a small tail-end of the radio saying, “more than 200 are dead as a result of this act of terror†and didn’t know what had actually happened. I thought it would be in the ME.

So very sad.

• Like 1

<snip>

It kind of reaffirms the Muslim belief that one's length of life is predetermined.... that God gives us life, and so God can take it away.  (Maybe not the best explanation....perhaps others will add to it.)

Muslims have that in common with Jews and Christians.  From the Old Testament. 

• Like 2

Lord, have mercy.

I’m especially dismayed that Black Friday coverage has been 1000x more prevalent than this story’s.

😔

This is why my primary news comes from BBC.  They actually cover the World News and admit there's more than just the US and Europe in the World.

It's really, really amazing to compare their coverage to any US source.  If one only gets news from US (major) sources, they miss so much of what happens in the world.

On BBC this news was the top story since it happened.  It still is.

I only find US sources useful for local stories at this point.

ETA  Even when we were in the Middle East we found Al Jazeera to be more competent at reporting World News than our US options.  We just don't get them here with our TV plan.

Edited by creekland
  • Like 7