Menu

Weight-training ladies: back strength and aging

Ginevra

I have exercised and lifted weights for the better part of my years since age 18. However, for the large majority of the past 10-15 years, I have not used weight machines and gym equipment, just free weight dumbells.

My arms have good tone, especially for my age (46), legs and abs acceptable. My back, though does not have good tone and, as I recently discovered, is not strong or agile, either. I moved boxes of books from first floor to second floor and messed up my back for days and days. Then, I just saw an article about trying a push-up and pull-up challenge in which you begin with TEN of each exercise and add another additional rep each day for a month. Ummmm...no. I am far too weak to even consider this.

I made an attempt on ten push-ups today and I can almost-just-barely execute ten if I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t go all the way to right-angle arms. I have no idea if I could even do one proper pull-up. I do have equipment in the basement if I want to try, but I am just not ever excited about going down there for exercise because I feel like IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m banished to the dungeon.

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really want to see my back strength just dwindle away. It was sort of horrifying to realize that carrying a few boxes of books could screw me up so badly at my age - AND IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not very unfit! I think I have been so protective of my back because people easily injure it while working out that I just havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t challenged it much for a couple decades and now itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s noticeable.

Do you have any exercises you like that helps you retain a strong back while not risking injury? Should I try a modified version of this push up pull up challenge that foes like, do ten push ups until it gets easier, then add another, then add another a bit later...and maybe with pull ups, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll do ONE (IF I even can) and then very gradually try to work up to two, three, four, etc?

Usually they recommend starting with wall push-ups, then counter push-ups, then knee push-ups, then starting on the full-on ones.  Of course if you can already manage one of the intermediary steps, start there.

I don't think I've ever been able to do a pull-up...

But mostly what I do for my back and core is Pilates.  That makes such a huge difference.  A strong core keeps things out of your back - and Pilates also works your back.

I also row - but correct technique is key; a lot of people on gym machines are doing it completely incorrectly.  And there, too, engaging your core is key to not straining your back.

• Like 3

Well, I consider myself to be fairly strong for a 56 year old and I never could do a pull-up.   Ever.

I am working my way through New Rules of Weightlifting for Women, again.   I had done it a year ago or so--I tore a muscle/strained a ligament/did something bad while doing pushups and am now getting back to doing them in a modified manner (not going as deep).

I have a weight cage at home and use free weights plus an Olympic weight bar.

• Like 1

I would also consider modifying your exercises as well as decreasing the number.

For push-ups, you can modify them by elevating your hands. A staircase works well for this. As you become stronger, you can gradually move your hands down one step at a time until they are on the floor. 

For pulling, you can do horizontal rows. Here's a progression. http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/horizontal-pulls-progression.html Once you get to where you can do, like, 3 sets of 10 for step 4, try going back to pull-ups. If you have a machine that can do lat pulldowns, that works as well. Maybe if you're only going into the dungeon for one exercise, it won't be so bad. 

Modified reps with good form > standard reps with crappy form. Don't push yourself to do reps with crappy form even if you "fail" the challenge. Make the challenge fit you instead of you fitting the challenge. A modification suggestion -- if you have to take a break, do it, then complete the set. You'll still be cranking them out, and getting your muscles to the point of where they can't continue with good form is what helps them grow. 

• Like 3

Disclaimer: I'm not a trainer, not certified, not anything. 

If you ask the trainers at the Y where I work out (which I have), they'll tell you core is the way to a stronger back. When I went to PT for my back (it was very tight, wouldn't adjust well at the chiro, was giving me problems), she worked on my core. So core will be part of it. Core is just a never-ending pit for me, sigh. My ds was 11 pounds and I gained quite a bit of weight with both pregnancies. I do and do and do core and my tum tum is just taking a long time. It's better, but it's a process. And when you squat with weights, again, core is what provides stability and keeps you safe. So definitely work on core. Can't go wrong there.

Next, I'm all for push-ups, sure. I can do 'em, sure. Like I'll do 40-50, pick your way. Want 'em narrow, wide, whatever, we do 'em. But that's not really going to solve your problem. They're a nice overall effect, but they're mainly arms. I guess focus on engaging your core and you'll get some core effect. But it's mainly chest and arms. But sure, go for it. If you want to have a little more fun, do burpees, haha.  :lol:  :lol:

So when I ask the EXTRA knowledgeable people at the Y (the ones with degrees in exercise science from swanky places), they tell me to do sit-ups and the reverse (is it called a superman?) on something that looks like... well I'll see if I can find a picture. If you want to do it with no equipment, you do a superman. I think they should be called SuperBabes. Anyways, you do a superman. How to Do Superman Exercises - YouTube  That's a video, and when you google superman exercise plenty of hits coming out listing not only that but variations and other exercises that similarly target the back directly. So you want to work your core and then you flip over and do it for your back.

Now, an observation. I do barbell weights and machines and like them, yes. However REAL LIFE IS MUCH HARDER! Real life is what they call "dynamic," meaning muscle in motion. So you weren't just static, picking up weight in a precise, controlled way, with proper form and breath (core) support to prevent injury. In real life we pick it up, walk, move it up and down, twist, climb steps. It's much, much harder, and it's dynamic and complex. So once or twice a week now I go to a class where we use weight IN MOTION. It's dynamic. It's another thing you can look for in your fitness reportoire, whether you could find a class that uses weight in motion. Like in a class we might to push-ups on the floor, get up and do something, pick up some weights and walk somewhere, then do something else, etc. Up, down, in motion, moving around. More like real life. Real life is can I get up off the floor after I pick up that stuff under the Christmas tree, kwim? That's moving weight in motion, even your own body weight. If you can't do a push-up, you may find that's kinda hard! It might deter you from getting on the floor to play or affect how you clean, etc. So look for weight in motion if you can.

I can deadlift 225. That's what I did last week, multiple reps. I carried my ds to bed last night after he fell asleep in his closet. I *think* he weighs 65 pounds, which should be a nothing. My back is sore this morning. Clearly I was not careful enough! But 225 with a barbell and a coach watching me and making sure I was doing everything right? A nothing. 

So to me, even if you do things right, some things are just dangerous. I think watching *form* is much more important than how much the weight is. How you lift, how much you squat into it, whether you're using your legs or your back. I knew as soon as I did it I was using my back instead of my legs, but it was kinda a little late. Couldn't exactly drop him and start over, lol.

• Like 5

For getting your push-up, start with a ball. That's what I did. They're more fun on an exercise ball. Once you can do 10 there, then do 10 and take a break and do 10 more. When you can do that, do sets of 10 and work your way up to 40 or 50. Make sure you're squeezing your gluts (buttocks) when you do them. They're fun and they make you look STRONG!

Then, when you can do them on the ball, try them on a mat on the floor. At that point it's your choice, whether you're more comfortable on your knees or fully extended. When I started doing narrow push-ups, that work your triceps more, I needed to be on my knees. You just work your way up. 

The trick with push-ups is to remember that it's a push UP, not a pull down. It's totally fair game to fall down! Like literally, just get down, even if it's ugly. That's what they tell us in the classes. The work is the up. Get the up. If you're tired and can't get both, get the up.

For the pull-ups, you need to do an assisted pull-up. Again, there the great secret is a really slow DOWN portion. Like 5 seconds. Really wicked slow. Also you can work on hand grip strength by just hanging. What you think is you not strong enough to do a pull-up could partly be grip strength. I've been working on a pull-up for a few months now, not diligently enough. I usually do sets assisted, slow down phase, till I hit my goal, then I do another 60 seconds just hanging. 

Some people use an elastic tension band for the assist. That way you don't need an actual machine. Like if you have a pull-up bar in your doorway, you could use it with a tension band and work on them. It's considered a very good way. But again, slow down and practice hanging to build grip strength. What they do with the tension band (walmart, not expensive, like $5) is they loop it around the ends. Then you stand on it and get a boost to get up. They *say* that just the effort trying to get up builds strength, so don't be all or nothing about it.

Edited by OhElizabeth

I do think, Oh Elizabeth, that youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re onto something inre: real life is not static. I have been thinking I want to add in some sort of motion exercise for exactly that reason. (But I am also not trying to extend my workout to two hours, kwim?)

The thing that puzzles me is, I do a lot of core exercise work that focses on abdominals and deep abdominals. I crunch, reverse crunch, do controlled leg extensions, ball transfer, plank and locust which is similar to superman). I work obliques. I do all this to make my core strong and it was always in particular so I would not tax my back and cause an injury. So now I feel like I have not really strengthened my back at all and my attention to the front (abs) has still left the back muscles somewhat neglected. Plus I lack tone over my back in general; bra strap flab escaping, that sort of thing. That may not be fixable without cosmetic surgery (which is not under consideration); it may just be a casualty of four pregnancies. Not sure about that.

I have exercised and lifted weights for the better part of my years since age 18. However, for the large majority of the past 10-15 years, I have not used weight machines and gym equipment, just free weight dumbells.

My arms have good tone, especially for my age (46), legs and abs acceptable. My back, though does not have good tone and, as I recently discovered, is not strong or agile, either. I moved boxes of books from first floor to second floor and messed up my back for days and days. Then, I just saw an article about trying a push-up and pull-up challenge in which you begin with TEN of each exercise and add another additional rep each day for a month. Ummmm...no. I am far too weak to even consider this.

I made an attempt on ten push-ups today and I can almost-just-barely execute ten if I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t go all the way to right-angle arms. I have no idea if I could even do one proper pull-up. I do have equipment in the basement if I want to try, but I am just not ever excited about going down there for exercise because I feel like IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m banished to the dungeon.

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t really want to see my back strength just dwindle away. It was sort of horrifying to realize that carrying a few boxes of books could screw me up so badly at my age - AND IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m not very unfit! I think I have been so protective of my back because people easily injure it while working out that I just havenĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t challenged it much for a couple decades and now itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s noticeable.

Do you have any exercises you like that helps you retain a strong back while not risking injury? Should I try a modified version of this push up pull up challenge that foes like, do ten push ups until it gets easier, then add another, then add another a bit later...and maybe with pull ups, IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢ll do ONE (IF I even can) and then very gradually try to work up to two, three, four, etc?

If you were doing knee push-ups, 10 is within the average range for your women ages 20-65. http://www.topendsports.com/testing/tests/home-pushup.htm  Those "challenges" are generally not well put together. For one thing, they have you doing the same exercise every day, which is not the fastest way to build the muscle. (Muscle actually builds on your rest days, not on your work days.) And if you start a challenge at "average" just how do the people in the ranges below that start? Dumb. So I think one can safely disregard the "challenges." 

If you were doing full floor push-ups, good for you!  You can knock out some knee push-ups and see how you really measure up using that chart. It's hard to find one for full length push-ups. 

Most women cannot do a pull up. It's something that people tend to train a long time to accomplish. You can start with a progression from rows to inverted rows to assisted pull ups if you want to make it a goal. But not being able to do one isn't a sign that you are weak.  According to the president's physical fitness test thing, high school girls are expected to be able to do one. Don't know about you, but I was pretty much peak at age 17-21.  So don't beat yourself up about it. 

What you can do to work your lats (mid back) instead are rows of various kinds. You can do them with free weights. Just make sure you progress by increasing the weight you are using as it gets easier to do them. I generally use a weight until I can do 3 sets of 10-12, then I move up the weight. When I move up, I may only be able to do 3-6 at first, but it's not long till it's 10 again.) 

I am guessing you hurt your lower back. If I am right, those lower back muscles are what I call "helicopter parent" muscles: they jump in and do stuff other muscles are not doing. In the case of lifting boxes, probably they were stepping in for your glutes and hamstrings. It's a good bet you rounded your back instead of picking them up deadlift style and may have carried them with an arched back, which yeah, is going to hurt your back. It's all about form. 

The muscles most engaged in push ups are the pectoralis major and minor (chest). The deltoids (shoulder), triceps, rhomboids & trapezius) upper back are also engaged but in a lesser role.  Push-ups should be executed with a tight abdomen and glutes. 

If you want to improve push-ups, forget the challenge and instead do them 3 times a week, with a rest day in between. Do a set (as many as you can.) Rest 1-2 min or do another exercise with different muscles  and then do another set. Try for 3 sets. If you go to failure (you can't get back up) on each set, you'll see yourself progress over time because you'll be able to do a higher number. Once they get easy, you can elevate your feet. Or just call it good. ;)

Livestrong is a trustworthy website. PRotecting your back means two things: 1) strengthening your core (see link--it's much more than your abs) and 2) being scrupulous about form. Since I started lifting, I am very conscious of which movements I do each day that are essentially squats, or deadlifts, etc. and it makes it easier to employ the right form. Keeping a "neutral" spine is key (both rounded or arched can result in injury) . Here's Livestrong's article on the core

https://www.livestrong.com/article/98988-core-muscles-body/ ;  Planks, side planks, bird dog, superman, and bridges are all good exercises for the core. Don't forget the importance of stretching, too. Cat/camel is my favorite dynamic stretch for my lower back. 

If you want to systematically build strength, I would go with a program so that you are working in a balanced way. For instance, you need a "pull" exercise" to balance "push" exercises; you need to work your posterior chain (hamstrings and glutes) to balance your quads, and you want exercises for the hip muscles to round it out. An imbalance can result in joint issues. For instance, women tend to be quad dominant. The muscles of the quads then pull more strongly on the knee cap then the hamstring muscles or outer/inner thigh muscles and it can pull the knee cap off track and create problems. Same thing with the hips. So you want to keep opposing muscle sets proportionately equal. (I say proportionately because for instance, hamstrings should be about 2/3 as strong as your quads. That is proportionately equal. The pull will be right.) 

Some good programs: New Rules of Lifting books. (I wouldn't do NROL for women because it's their first and they've revised a lot) but NROL for Life, NROL Supercharged or Strong are solid programs. Nia Shanks programs are also very solid. Girls Gone Strong has a great website and FB group. (There is also an active FB group for New Rules of Lifting books. )  Or go to a qualified personal trainer and get a program designed for you. If y our back still hurts, get a PT referral. They'll gladly design strength training programs as well. I would try to find a trainer who has a degree, preferably a masters in exercise physiology or a related field. You can become certified as a personal trainer by taking online training, but I think someone with an actual degree is a safer bet especially if there are any injury issues. 

Good for you for staying on top of this as you have and for planning to up your game.  There is a thread called Well Trained Bodies that is updated every month. Come on over and join in! 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 5

Laurie4b, thanks so much for all that great info!

The push-ups I did were full-body push ups; my only Ă¢â‚¬Å“cheatĂ¢â‚¬ was that I wasnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t going down all the way to right-angle arms before rising. You make me feel better about the pull-ups. I remember that fitness test in high school and I think I remember I could do one, and there were only one or two other girls who could do even one. And yeah - gotta say I am not quite as fit now as I was then. Ă°Å¸Ëœ

• Like 1

Some good programs: New Rules of Lifting books. (I wouldn't do NROL for women because it's their first and they've revised a lot) but NROL for Life, NROL Supercharged or Strong are solid programs. Nia Shanks programs are also very solid. Girls Gone Strong has a great website and FB group. (There is also an active FB group for New Rules of Lifting books. )  Or go to a qualified personal trainer and get a program designed for you. If y our back still hurts, get a PT referral.

I haven't checked the New Rules books lately--any idea why the New Rules of Lifting for Life does not get very good reviews on Amazon?

I like to shake things up every so often....

• Like 1

I have been working with a trainer for about 8 months and he has me doing deadlifts. I also do a lot of rows and lat pull-downs - I've been doing modified pull-ups - some where I jump up from a box and then pull myself up and hold, others with a band. I'm getting better and stronger. Same with push-ups. I'm slowly moving closer to the ground - I think my push-ups start about 12 inches off the ground now. 

From the Livestrong site:

In "The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding," eight-time Mr. Olympia Arnold Schwarzenegger describes the deadlift as the ultimate exercise for the back of the body, from the hamstrings all the way up to the traps, and especially the lower back. But deadlifts build more than just the visible lower back muscles. The book "Strength Training Anatomy" explains that deadlifts work in a practical way to protect the lower back by developing the entire core. A study published in the January 2008 issue of the "Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research" found that deadlifts work the abdominal muscles more than ab-specific exercises. The lower back muscles alone aren't enough to prevent the spine from folding forward beneath the stress of a lift such as the deadlift. Instead, heavy deadlifts activate and strengthen the entire girdle of core muscles, creating internal pressure that immobilizes the spine. This is unique to very heavy exercises such as the deadlift and squat, and is essential for creating the strength to prevent lower back pain.

• Like 2

I have been working with a trainer for about 8 months and he has me doing deadlifts. I also do a lot of rows and lat pull-downs - I've been doing modified pull-ups - some where I jump up from a box and then pull myself up and hold, others with a band. I'm getting better and stronger. Same with push-ups. I'm slowly moving closer to the ground - I think my push-ups start about 12 inches off the ground now.

From the Livestrong site:

In "The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding," eight-time Mr. Olympia Arnold Schwarzenegger describes the deadlift as the ultimate exercise for the back of the body, from the hamstrings all the way up to the traps, and especially the lower back. But deadlifts build more than just the visible lower back muscles. The book "Strength Training Anatomy" explains that deadlifts work in a practical way to protect the lower back by developing the entire core. A study published in the January 2008 issue of the "Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research" found that deadlifts work the abdominal muscles more than ab-specific exercises. The lower back muscles alone aren't enough to prevent the spine from folding forward beneath the stress of a lift such as the deadlift. Instead, heavy deadlifts activate and strengthen the entire girdle of core muscles, creating internal pressure that immobilizes the spine. This is unique to very heavy exercises such as the deadlift and squat, and is essential for creating the strength to prevent lower back pain.

ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s interesting. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m so very afraid of deadlifting, though, because I am alone and I would be in the basement. I could die burried beneath a York barbell, people only wondering about me when dinner fails to turn up. Ă°Å¸Ëœ

I also only squat with dumbells ATM. But maybe this is where I am going wrong.

I like to balance my strengthening exercises to I work both/all sides of joints. I'll do crunches, and then back extensions. You can lay on your tummy on a mat and lift up your head and shoulders up off the mat. Arms can be out to the sides, like superman. 

Push-ups and plank position (on hands or elbows) are great for core strength, too. 

To save your back, don't suddenly lift heavy things in awkward positions - like boxes, furniture, etc.  I'm not an expert, but from what I've heard about back pain, it's often the discs between the vertebrae that are the problem. You can't strengthen those with exercise, but you can avoid doing movements that put undo strain on your back. 

• Like 3

I suggest you start deadlifts with hand weights. Maybe 10 lbs in each hand and then increase the weight when you have mastered it. Do you do planks? So many injuries happen due to muscle imbalances.

Overall, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s very important to work every muscle group and not just the ones that make the best visual impact.

• Like 2

I suggest you start deadlifts with hand weights. Maybe 10 lbs in each hand and then increase the weight when you have mastered it. Do you do planks? So many injuries happen due to muscle imbalances.

Overall, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s very important to work every muscle group and not just the ones that make the best visual impact.

If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re intimidated by deadlifts maybe you can consider getting a few training sessions?

ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s interesting. IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m so very afraid of deadlifting, though, because I am alone and I would be in the basement. I could die burried beneath a York barbell, people only wondering about me when dinner fails to turn up. Ă°Å¸Ëœ

In deadlifting, you shouldn't be lifting it to where it might fall on you -- the worst would really be dropping it on your toes. I don't think that should be seriously concerning. But you can always use dumbbells too. 

I agree with you about squats -- I wouldn't squat alone with more than dumbbells either. One of the reasons I went for bodyweight training (single-leg squats) was because if I failed the worst that would happen would be that I'd fall on my butt. Whoopy-doo. 

• Like 3

I can try that. Yes, I do planks. I do brief planks in my yoga sessions (not lengthy, but proceeding and warming up for strength training), and I do longer planks and Ă¢â‚¬Å“locustĂ¢â‚¬ (30 sec) during my abdonomial strength training.

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know if this makes a difference to anyone, but I had abdominal separation in my last two pregnancies. This has not been repaired. So, the middle area around my belly button always seems not that toned, I guess. For instance, you can see the tone of my obliques and some abdominal definition just below my rib cage, but in the center, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s just not that flat or toned looking. I think maybe this is not correctable except through surgery. (Surgery not under consideration.) Does anyone else have this?

If youĂ¢â‚¬â„¢re intimidated by deadlifts maybe you can consider getting a few training sessions?

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know...that seems so extravagant to me. I fear ridicule by my mate, tbh.

Lat pull downs.  At home, you could probably start by hooking inexpensive resistance bands to a hook above a door or something.

My dream is real pull ups, but I'm pretty heavy to pull up (when I'm full of adipose fat and when I'm full of muscle!) so it's still a pipe dream after 4 years!  I loved the pull up machine that let you take some weight off the pull, but my gym stuffed it into a sad, dusty corner.  :glare:

• Like 1

I haven't checked the New Rules books lately--any idea why the New Rules of Lifting for Life does not get very good reviews on Amazon?

I like to shake things up every so often....

Nope. I like it. It allows you more leeway in substituting in case of injury or you know--aging . ;)  (We need a little old lady emoticon.) 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 2

I can try that. Yes, I do planks. I do brief planks in my yoga sessions (not lengthy, but proceeding and warming up for strength training), and I do longer planks and Ă¢â‚¬Å“locustĂ¢â‚¬ (30 sec) during my abdonomial strength training.

I donĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t know if this makes a difference to anyone, but I had abdominal separation in my last two pregnancies. This has not been repaired. So, the middle area around my belly button always seems not that toned, I guess. For instance, you can see the tone of my obliques and some abdominal definition just below my rib cage, but in the center, itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s just not that flat or toned looking. I think maybe this is not correctable except through surgery. (Surgery not under consideration.) Does anyone else have this?

I am pretty sure that Girls Gone Strong has an article on this specifically. I can't recall the name of it, but if you can, you can probably find it pretty quickly!  And if you get on the FB group and ask, someone will post it and about 50 women will share their experiences. 

• Like 1

Nope. You would have to be really talented to drop the bar in any way that could hurt you with a deadlift. It only comes up to your thighs and the plates are bigger than your foot so even if you dropped it straight down with your tootsies right under it the bar would stop above your foot. Your floor might get dented or cracked, but you would be fine. It's actually more likely that you'd hurt yourself dropping a dinner plate on your foot.

Don't lift to failure on deadlifts and you won't need to drop it anyway. I usually can tell on the initial pull that I don't have the strength for it, so just put it down and come back another day. 

Start with the bar alone . Set it on something so it's about 8 1/2 inches off the ground until you get your form down and yes, I would go to a personal trainer till you're confident of the form especially once you start loading the weight.  (8 1/2 inches is where it would be with 45 pound plates on it. That's the standard height. ) 

I love, love love deadlifts. It's the only strength-training move I actually like. 

Squats are a different matter. I wouldn't back squat alone without a rack. Even with dumbbells, which is what I am limited to because of range of motion issues for my shoulders, I tend to squat with my back to a wall so that I would have something solid behind me if I started to tip or couldn't get back up. 

• Like 1

Is that diastasis recti? I haven't dealt with it, but there have been threads here on the boards about it. There are very specific ways to improve it and doing traditional core work apparently can make it WORSE. There are some sites online with regimens specifically for that.

I would not deadlift until you have addressed that issue. Or I would talk with someone qualified to assess your situation and see if the abdominal muscle issues will affect your ability to do xyz safely. It might even be that the weak core from your separation issues is causing the back complaints and that working on the core in a way that is meant for that condition will resolve the back issues also.

Fwiw, I *don't* have diastasis recti (afaik?), but my abdomen was HUGE after ds. He was 11 pounds, and I've spent years now just ballooned out. I've been working out pretty aggressively for, what, maybe 2 years now? I forget. Only started barbell two months ago, but machines pretty zealously before that, working up on sit-ups and other kinds of core work, adding classes with dreadful names like "BodyShock" hahaha. My core STILL is spongy. I keep working on it. 

So it may take some time, more time than you'd think. Nice thing for me is that my back, which used to be really shifty and constantly sore, is now pretty stable. 

Edited by OhElizabeth
  • Like 2

Here is how to assess for the condition

https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/pregnancy/how-do-i-know-if-i-have-diastasis-recti/

And here is what to do and not do about it,

https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/blog/pregnancy/healing-diastasis-recti/

Since it apparently has been a while for you, you may want to go to a physical therapist to get evaluated and have exercises prescribed

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 1

I am not a weight-training lady, but I have been working on my tummy lately. I had a slight abdominal separation which is getting better. I've been doing the exercises found here:

https://tone-and-tighten.com/2014/03/how-to-treat-diastasis-recti-advice-and-exercises-to-help-you-feel-better-now.html

I'm not a professional, nor do I play one on TV, but it sounds like working on the diastasis recti might help with core/back strength.

I am with OhElizabeth that this is at least partly a REAL LIFE issue. Guess who on my FB feed complains the most about yard work or household tasks making them sore? Workout junkies, including people who teach classes. I am not in shape. I do get somewhat sore from yard work, but sometimes I actually feel better after yard work. I am super careful. Working out never made me feel stronger for regular real life tasks, just for more difficult workouts. 

While her website always makes me feel like I have stepped in the middle of a very scattered conversation, Katie Bowman (Nutritious Movement?) talks about real life movement patterns and working up from nothing. If I were going to be starting any new workout, I would consider her stuff. Also, there are some good physio-therapist led exercise ball routines that have actually helped me in the past with functional day-to-day movement. I think I found them on the Fitball website. 

I would also recommend looking into whether you have some myofascial pain going on. I get knotted up muscles just for fun, and it can lead to entire highways of tight muscles, spasms, nerve entrapment, etc. I work on them, the chiro works on them, my DH works on them regularly just to keep me functional. Working out when I've got tender points/trigger points makes things much, much worse. I don't have a great long-term solution ATM. My son has limited range of motion due to myofascial strangeness combined with unusual growth in his long bones (it's a connective tissue disorder thing), and myofascial release from an OT is literally straightening him out. Before chiropractic and OT, he had continually sore muscles regardless of his activities.

• Like 2

Look up functional fitness exercises. They're the ones that will get and keep you in shape for activities of daily living. You can work out with weights or machines all the time and still not be functionally fit. As I've gotten older functional fitness has become more and more my focus.

• Like 1