Menu

Have we talked about THIS? Joshua Boyle/Canadian family held hostage in Afghanistan

ILiveInFlipFlops

Weird must be his wife and children right?  The second victim is assault....only the first victim has the sexual assault.

I mean who else would he have so much access to as soon as he arrived back in Canada?

I thought that it might mean that it was his wife and her family member (father perhaps), but, you could be right and it could be assault against his kids as well :( 

Yes, this is what I was thinking.  Kind of a chicken/egg thing.  Or maybe he was just clearly unstable before he even went.

People who he went to Journalism School with posted on FB a while ago saying that he deliberately traveled to Afghanistan in search of a scoop to further his career - as a freelancer reporting from the war zone. I don't know how true it is, but, given the nuttiness, it is a possibility.

• Like 1

There is some evidence that he was nutty before they even went. 

Oh yes, I think he was.

I think his wife was, as well.

But I doubt that the circumstances improved things any.

Of all the explanations for being crazy in trying to control your wife and kids I can think of, being held hostage for years and then being pursued by the media ranks up there as plausible.

• Like 1

Yes, this is what I was thinking.  Kind of a chicken/egg thing.  Or maybe he was just clearly unstable before he even went.

someone taking their pregnant wife/gf to *hike* in the wilds of afghanistan (re: a very unstable area) is NOT someone who could be listed as rational.

the wife was hospitalized days/few-weeks/ after they came back - there are pictures of her.  they don't say why she was hospitalized.  with this new info, makes me wonder if he physically assaulted her.

Eh, men have survived similar experiences and not gone on to sexually assault their wives as a result. My money is on him being a controlling a**hole before being held hostage.

my fil was a pow for 3 1/2 years. going by photographs, this guy was in FAR better physical condition than my fil.  certainly weighed more.  (fil weighed 94lbs. at 6' tall.)  he never went off on other people.

eta: he did refuse to count off, or eat fish and rice together.  and according to mil,  had nightmares.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 3

I think he is a narcissist or a sociopath. He's an abuser. I think he had her convinced they were going to Afghanistan to "do good" when his intention was to either join the group who ended up being his captors or he had planned to have the captors use them as "hostages" all along.

His wife was hospitalized soon after they returned. He probably did something then to her bc it falls within the dates of the charges.

I think he did something to one of his kids, too. Like stopped the kid from running for help...the unlawful detention charges.

• Like 6

Eh, men have survived similar experiences and not gone on to sexually assault their wives as a result. My money is on him being a controlling a**hole before being held hostage.

I don't think that's how having a mental breakdown works though.  We had a guy here recently who killed his whole family, wife, kids, MIL, after suffering a breakdown when he came back from a war.  Then he killed himself.

Well, my dh came back from a war, arguably a worse one, and didn't have a breakdown or kill anyone or himself.

So?  Guy one was just an asshole?  

It sounds like Boyle wasn't mentally robust to start, but that makes it more likely he'd go off the deep end, I'd say.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

I don't think that's how having a mental breakdown works though. We had a guy here recently who killed his whole family, wife, kids, MIL, after suffering a breakdown when he came back from a war. Then he killed himself.

Well, my dh came back from a war, arguably a worse one, and didn't have a breakdown or kill anyone or himself.

So? Guy one was just an asshole?

It sounds like Boyle wasn't mentally robust to start, but that makes it more likely he'd go off the deep end, I'd say.

I agree.

If "someone else went through the same experience without a mental health breakdown" meant it was just the individual's fault if they did break down--then every mental health break ever would be the individual's fault. Because there is always someone who went through a similar thing with more resilience.

No clue what is going on in this case, the guy does not sound like someone who started out sane. But I'm not at all comfortable with "other folks don't go off the deep end when..." as an argument.

• Like 3

http://www.macleans.ca/news/world/what-really-happened-to-joshua-boyle-and-his-family/

What Really Happened to Joshua Boyle and His Family

"In a week of meetings with Maclean’s before his arrest, signs of Boyle’s controlling nature and distress were evident. During interviews at the hotel, he refused to leave the room while Coleman spoke, at one point snapping at her when she responded to a follow-up question. “Check with me before you say any of that on the recording.â€

Friends, speaking on condition of anonymity, described him as manipulative long before his ordeal. One, an American named Greg who met Boyle in an online role-playing game, described his digital persona this way: “He played this trickster character who would scam people out of their assets,†Greg said, asking that only his first name be used because he is a member of the U.S. military. “He was the best the game’s ever seen at doing that. The charisma, the intelligence and getting in and seeing how he could get to people, that very much appealed to him.â€

In interviews, Boyle refused to comment directly on many of the questions that have been dogging him since his release: What drove him to go to Afghanistan in the first place, when Coleman was seven months pregnant? What were they hoping to achieve? Boyle’s previous marriage to al-Qaeda apologist Zaynab Khadr has led many to speculate that he had a desire to join the Taliban’s jihad.

Boyle was most eager to talk about what happened to them in those five years and the crimes he says were committed against them. What becomes clear from these conversations is that their ongoing story began with an overconfident and tragically naive belief that in their travels they would be accepted, even protected by Afghanistan’s extremists. "

Violence against women is not the same thing as a mental health breakdown.

People having a mental health breakdown don't get a pass on violence against women.

Violence against women is not an inevitable part of a trauma response.

And yet a majority of our prison population have mental health problems.

I do think the link between mental illness and violence, particularly in men, has a causative element.

Violence against women is not the same thing as a mental health breakdown. 

People having a mental health breakdown don't get a pass on violence against women. 

Violence against women is not an inevitable part of a trauma response. 

and according to reports - he was that way BEFORE they went to afghanistan.

No, guy one was a homicidal asshole. 

Having mental health issues does not entitle a person to be violent - towards themselves, or towards others. The vast majorty of people with mental health issues are not violent towards others. 

Boyle sounds like a classic abuser. I'm not concerned about his mental health; I'm concerned that his wife and kids get to a place of safety and get the time and support they need to work on their own mental health. 

I agree the majority of those with mental illness are more likely to do self-harm.  there are those who harm/threaten-to-harm others.  my bil was in the 2nd group - he was scary.   my mother in the first.  both had schizophrenia. the descriptions of him before this happened don't make me think mental illness.  they make me think moron.

he took her to a dangerous area when she was pregnant.  that shows either total  arrogance (does not require mental illness), or complete stupidity.  or both.

she's naive/stupid/brainwashed/idiot to have gone. 

I feel most sorry for the children.

eta: the most bil did was pull a kitchen knife on mil, and ripped a phone out of the wall when sil was calling 911 (which brings an immediate lights/siren response.).  but there were times some of us were afraid he'd do "more".

Edited by gardenmom5

"Boyle said he and Coleman were in Afghanistan to help villagers 'who live deep inside Taliban-controlled Afghanistan where no NGO [non-governmental organization], no aid worker and no government has ever successfully been able to bring the necessary help.'"...

When I'd read that originally my thought was, "That should have been a clue that you shouldn't go there."  

• Like 1

When I'd read that originally my thought was, "That should have been a clue that you shouldn't go there."  

give his previous relationship - it made me wonder if that's  WHY he chose to go there.  the contacts he could make . .  . .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

"New set of charges laid

After his arrest, Boyle faced 15 charges relating to two alleged victims, including eight counts of assault, two counts of sexual assault, two counts of unlawful confinement, uttering a threat to cause death, public mischief, and administering a noxious substance.

Those original 15 charges were withdrawn by the Crown on Friday, and a new set of 19 charges were entered into the record. The practice is not uncommon, and is known as a relay of charges.

The 19 new charges, which relate to one alleged victim instead of two, are:

One count of sexual assault while threatening to use a weapon (ropes).

One count of sexual assault with a weapon (ropes).

One count of uttering a threat to cause death.

Nine counts of assault.

One count of assault with a weapon (a broomstick).

Three counts of unlawful confinement.

One count of administering a noxious substance (the antidepressant Trazodone).

One count of public mischief (misleading a police officer into believing that someone was suicidal and missing, causing the officer to start an investigation, and thereby diverting suspicion away from Boyle).

One count of criminal harassment.

Police allege the offences happened in Ottawa between Oct. 14 and Dec. 30. None of the charges has been proven in court.

The identity of the alleged victim is protected by a publication ban. "

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/ottawa/joshua-boyle-ottawa-charges-court-1.4504010

The whole pregnancy thing is super weird to me.  Makes it sound like they weren't really afraid for their lives because who would go to extreme lengths to have children "just to get started" on a large family under those conditions?    They had to bury food so another miscarriage couldn't supposedly be induced?

That's not just accidentally getting pregnant, that's taking pretty extreme measures to make sure she could stay pregnant.  Seems absolutely insane to me.

ETA: Okay now that I've read the rest of the thread - Wow.

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 1

I guess we can assume the victim is his wife?

I wonder if she is still with him?

I would be surprised if it wasn't his wife-  and she was in the hospital for something undisclosed right after the returned (he even posted a pic of her in her hospital bed) - when she'd been otherwise physically fine when she returned.

it's been a few weeks since I've seen any statements from her - she was claiming he has ptsd and it's not his fault.  she sounds brainwashed to me - and I hope she comes to her sense.

what sane person goes "hiking" with their pregnant wife/girlfriend in such a dangerous area???

• Like 1

The pregnancy stuff is classic controlling abuser. Classic. She isn't a person, she's his sexual relief and child bearing service.

Pregnancy is also known to make men like that escalate... like maybe forcing their pregnant wife into a war zone.

• Like 2

The pregnancy stuff is classic controlling abuser. Classic. She isn't a person, she's his sexual relief and child bearing service.

Pregnancy is also known to make men like that escalate... like maybe forcing their pregnant wife into a war zone.

makes her even more dependent upon him.

• Like 2

The more I read about this guy, the more I think he was more than just ignorant, naive, whatever. I don’t think he’s an innocent party at all. I hope the wife will see him for what he is, maybe write a book to get much needed funds, and stay the heck away from him.

His journalism college classmates were posting on facebook that he went to afghanistan on purpose to become a wartime reporter and sell his stories from the Taliban strongholds to big news agencies and become famous. Looking at all the craziness, it is not a farfetched theory. Apparently, his first wife's Taliban relatives were also suspicious of him because they thought that he married her to get a foothold into their family and become an insider. So, the craziness has been noticed by a lot of people for a long time.

• Like 1

When you’re so crazy that the Taliban won’t play with you anymore.

I look forward to seeing the true story unfold. The hostage story doesn’t add up when you consider how healthy everyone is. I’m thinking there must be some collusion with their “captors†for this to play out the way it has. I can see that brand of crazy using his wife in bazaar ways on his quest for “fame.†I don’t think he planned far enough ahead to think of what would happen when he added children who could talk into the mix. The real story is bound to come out soon and it sounds like he was desperately trying to control it.

• Like 3