Menu

If you had one day in NYC

Wabi Sabi

I am taking a road trip with my kids over their fall break next week. We'll spend a couple of days on the road (we already have our audiobooks selected!), a day visiting family in MA, a day visiting a sister in CT, and then one day in NYC. It'll just be me and the kids- dh has to work. There are so many things on our list of things we'd like to do- Tenement Museum, Broadway, Ellis Island, 9/11 Memorial, going to parts of the city other than Manhattan, the Cloisters, going to the Japan Society just to use their Toto toilets, LOL. We can't narrow it down, and realistically speaking, we're kinda slow moving on vacation and don't like to try to cram too much into one day. 

FWIW, we've been there once before and went to The Met and the Museum of Natural History, went to a playground and sailed little boats in Central Park, and went to Times Square. 

If you had just one day what would be your top couple of choices? 

• Like 2

I did most of the same things you did when I first visited NYC. On another trip to New York, much shorter, when meeting friends from Philly, we chose the Cloisters as our meet-up place. I loved it! It was easier than going into the city, and it was a very nice spot to visit. 

Whatever the top picks are for you: Ellis island, museum of natural history, broadway, Central Park, Times Square, st Patrick's cathedral...

I would plan on only 2-3 things. If everyone is into art: metro museum of art. If everyone is into architecture, maybe a walking or subway tour to iconic buildings/places.

I'm also taking my kids there next week (their first time).  We will have 2 days though.  We will look for a boat tour that includes Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, bus or taxi tours (or just drive pasts) to see things like ground zero, the embassies, UN, times square.  We will definitely spend some time in Central Park, and attend a Broadway show if it isn't too late to get tickets.  Probably go up in the Empire State Building.  My kids also wanted to shop in a fancy NYC store, but I am not keen to do that.  :P

I'm not sure what I'd skip if I only had 1 day.  I would leave out some of the drive-by's, but that wouldn't save much time.  Could you fit the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Central Park and a Broadway show into 1 day?  It would depend on the crowds I guess.  (Are they all even open on weekends?  Something I should check.)

I think you have some great choices. My only advice would be to use google maps or suchlike and see how much time it takes to get from one place to another with the transportation method you choose and at the time you plan to go. NYC is so big and crowded that it is easy to underestimate travel.

Check out the Best Parking app if you are driving.

Your choices have very different timings -- Ellis Island will involve security checks and, probably, lines. Cloisters is usually fast to get into, and we have always been able to park right there.

ETA

Some guidebooks have excellent restaurant suggestions. When I am a tourist, I check the suggestions and google for menus. That way, I can choose a special treat or a quick, inexpensive place without having to wander about on the ground and find out later that I missed the perfect spot by one block.

IMO, choosing the destination is the fun part of touristing, but planning the logistics can make the difference between a good trip and a so-so one.

Edited by Alessandra

I will do the bus tour and just go along on the ride then decide one place to spend the rest of the day and spend it there. The tours and very informative and you get to see lots of different places in about 3-4 hours

Yes - the bus tour is the best way to see as much as possible in one day. Plus, it's nice to be able to hop off and see more of something. So, if there are one or two things you want to go and spend some time on, plan to do that, but spend the rest of the time on the bus. It's definitely worth the money.

Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty alone is an all-day trip. I mean, unless you just mean to hop on and hop off and say you've been there, in which case you might as well save some money and just take the SI Ferry. Now, if you do that, you can then go to some of the playgrounds in Battery Park City, all of which are very nice. (Love Teardrop Park, even now that the girls are both adolescents.)

• Like 1

My kids also wanted to shop in a fancy NYC store, but I am not keen to do that.

Drop by Duane Reade, get that authentic NYC experience. Voila, you've shopped in a NYC store. (It's not that fancy, lol!)

My goodness, it sounds like a lot of people are going to be visiting here next week. You should all meet up once you figure out what you want to do!

(And yes, SKL, they're all open weekends. If they're gonna close, it'd be for a weekday.)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 1

check out the mommypoppins website...good for fun kid stuff to go in with all the historical or pop culture

My sons liked cars, so we went car watching and checked out the high end show rooms as part of our trip.  I learned what Maybach is, they learned that taxis are different than what they see in children's literature.

Columbus weekend coming up, so lots of stuff going on.

SKL, you're skipping the toy store??

I would pay to go on a Sightseeing Tour bus. Actually, many years ago, I did that, when I had one day in NYC and one day in DC.  They can show you so many more things, in one day, than you could see on your own in 2 or 3 days and they can explain them to you.   

If we could go to NYC, I would want to go to the 9/11 Memorial. First stop.  Then, I would want to go to the Museum of Jewish History, which I believe is the Holocaust memorial there.  There are SO MANY things to see.  

I was in the head of the Statue of Liberty. I have been in the Empire State Building. I have ridden on the Staten Island ferry.  I would love for my wife and DD to be able to do those things, if our finances permitted.

Enjoy your trip!

Please know I know nothing about New York City.  That said, having watched "Woman in Gold" with Helen Mirren last night, I'd want to go to see the Klimt painting.  What a story.  

http://neuegalerie.org/content/gustav-klimt-and-adele-bloch-bauer-woman-gold

Edited by milovany
  • Like 3

We did a hop on hop off bus tour last year which included a river cruise. It wasn't fancy but the kids liked it a lot and we got to see quite a bit that way .. the river cruise took us out to a good viewing location for the statue of liberty although we also did the statue and Ellis island separately. My kids especially liked the Intrepid.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

When I do Broadway, I buy rush tickets. These are cheap tickets available from the box office the day of the show. Not all shows have them but many do. If a show is popular, people start lining up very early in the morning. For a less popular show, you might get tickets hours after the box office opens. Seats vary by show and day from center orchestra to partial view.

Come From Away is really good but might be a bit old for your 9 year old. My 7 year old hated it, my 10 year old liked it, and my 12 year old loved it. There are a few bad words. It's a very popular show but since it's October there won't be as many people trying to get tickets. The original cast is still there and I always prefer the original cast.

http://comefromaway.com/

My second recommendation is School of Rock. It's a pretty good show and a great introduction to Broadway. It's extremely loud in parts. Bring earplugs. Getting rush tickets for this show shouldn't be a problem.

https://us.schoolofrockthemusical.com/?_ga=2.135351729.1263471058.1507231139-455789029.1507231139

Check Broadway schedules. Most shows are dark on Monday but not School of Rock. If you buy rush tickets you need to specifically ask for them. They have a limit of 2 but I have never had a problem buying for myself and 3 kids.

http://www.playbill.com/article/weekly-schedule-of-current-broadway-shows-com-142774

Another option is Hello Dolly. Tickets are much cheaper on the days Bette Midler is not in. That theatre is really big and you do not want balcony seats. We haven't seen it yet. We'll catch it later this fall along with The Band's Visit.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 1

We were in NYC with my kids aged 10 and almost 8 a few summers ago. We saw a few Broadway shows, their favorite was Aladdin.

I'd do Ellis Island+Statue of Liberty OR the Tenement museum and a bus tour (or walking/shopping tour of a neighborhood you haven't seen much of yet), then dinner at a fun restaurant and a show.

Taking the train from my sister's house near Greenwich, CT. The kids are 9 and 13.

Since you've been to Central Park before, I'd go downtown.  The train will take you to Grand Central Station -- great place to walk around, especially if your kids like trains. Then take the 5 downtown to Bowling Green.  That will let you off very near the Staten Island ferry, which is free and goes right past the Statue of Liberty.  Staten Island ferry there and back, then you can walk uptown.  Battery Park city is lovely, with great playgrounds, or you can walk up through the financial district, see Wall Street.  Lunch in Chinatown.  Then one of my favorite NYC experiences -- walk over the Brooklyn Bridge.  (Kids can read up on it beforehand).  At the other side, head down into the new Brooklyn Bridge Park and/or get the world's best hot chocolate at Jacques Torres Chocolate on Water Street.  Depending on which way you walk, it can be a little tricky to catch a subway back to Grand Central from that area (you might need to change trains) but totally doable.  

If it is raining, I heartily recommend the Museum of Math on 26th St.

• Like 2

At that age range, my kids were already outgrowing it. Unless we're doing a class or program there, it's not worth the high admission.

But listen, if you come to Staten Island, and you like spicy food, come to Stapleton and get some Sri Lankan food!

(Or, if you're gonna take her advice and get Chinese, be sure to get soup dumplings. Those are the best best.)

• Like 1

OMG Thank you!!!

I have a math-lover and we are in the city regularly... but I *gasp* have never even HEARD of this museum.  Just went to their website and he is intrigued.  They have a tween book club! Very cool.

Again, thank you!

We've done those things you've done -- my kids LOVE the Museum of Natural History and Central Park. We have pretty much visited these places several times a year...well... since *I* was a kid. Heh.

We recently took the Staten Island Ferry to SI and back... passing Lady Liberty of course... big hit. 

Walking across the Brooklyn Bridge would be fun.

Don't forget to get NYC pizza. That's almost required. If you're meat-eaters, a hot dog or some street cart food is always fun.  Skip the pretzels: they're usually dry and often burned. The bagged nuts are really TOO sweet. I know of no one who can actually finish a bag. There are some DELICIOUS popcorn trucks near Lincoln Center. And if you are in that area on a Thursday or Saturday, the farmer's market is awesome! My kids like to grab a freshly picked apple, this time of year, to eat as we walk. https://www.grownyc.org/greenmarket/manhattan/tuckerthursday

We haven't yet been to a Broadway play. (I cannot believe it.)  We plan to do this at least once this year using an app recommended to me by a friend that gets you cheaper tickets... Does anyone know what it's called? (I will ask her again at some point.) And teen dd will go to see the NYC Ballet dance The Nutcracker with a friend of hers -- they're looking forward to it.

If you are into history and music, take the public walking tour of Carnegie Hall (get tickets online ahead of time at their website).  I just did this and it was way more interesting than I thought it would be -- might depend on the guide you get, of course. Also, if you like music, you can get cheap rush tickets to the NY Philharmonic at Geffen Hall and some events at Carnegie Hall. Many Saturday concerts at The Juilliard School are free and open to the public.

Another cool thing to do is to take the Roosevelt Island Tram. It's a hanging "car" that takes you from Manhattan over to Roosevelt Island. NYC Public transportation.  Gotta love it. 

If you like to walk, the High Line Park goes from 14th to 34th over on the west side. It's elevated with lots of benches, gardens, and sculpture artwork.  This is the perfect place to sit or walk and look UP at the buildings (lots of modern creations going up right in that area -- some are very interesting!). You can't really walk around NYC looking up (marks you as a target, I mean tourist) with all the crowds and such, so this is a good alternative. It used to be an elevated train track. I was recently there for the first time and I liked it so much I'm going to go again and bring my two younger kids.  I think they'll get a kick out of it.  If you don't mind a little more walking, you can walk from here to Central Park (or Lincoln Center or Carnegie Hall) pretty easily and pass lots of little ethic restaurants on the way in case you get hungry. I would suggest this as a morning activity, as it gets more crowded in the afternoons.

From your list, if *I* had only one day with kids that age, I think I wouldn't be able to miss the 9/11 Memorial. My kids also LOVE the Cloisters... well... Fort Tryon Park, actually. The view of the river and the NJ Pallisades is amazing, the gardens are so pretty, and there's a decent playground across the street (outside of the park) at the top if you need a short break.

Bring scooters for your kids if you plan a lot of walking -- the small type you can fold -- it will make a difference. The "city kids" here ride them everywhere.

What time of year will you be visiting?

So this is kind of what I'm tentatively thinking with the help of Uber/Lyft and public transport. The kids don't know it yet (I'm keeping it a secret so they'll be surprised) but my brother-in-law's sister works at Buzzfeed and my pop-culture loving kids have been invited to visit her at the Buzzfeed offices for a tour. :) 

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/The+Grand+Central+Terminal,+5th+Avenue,+New+York,+NY/Japan+Society,+East+47th+Street,+New+York,+NY/Buzzfeed+Product+Labs,+West+22nd+Street,+New+York,+NY/The+High+Line,+New+York,+NY/Battery+Park+City,+New+York,+NY/World+Trade+Center,+New+York,+NY/Staten+Island+Ferry,+Whitehall+Street,+New+York,+NY/Brooklyn+Bridge,+New+York,+NY/@40.7269664,-74.0272333,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m50!4m49!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c259a9d9de10a3:0xc667c21ed5e83727!2m2!1d-73.9832754!2d40.7483593!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c2591d782bd44f:0xedfb17103403911d!2m2!1d-73.968287!2d40.75251!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c259bb48e74455:0x46a3ddc504eaaebc!2m2!1d-73.9953483!2d40.7430974!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c259c7840fb4e5:0x583f615c850a3c91!2m2!1d-74.0047649!2d40.7479925!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25a1aee6620bb:0x624d5c815c1b2c2e!2m2!1d-74.0158441!2d40.7115786!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25a19881b83fb:0x979b0a4fe0492ce6!2m2!1d-74.0131196!2d40.7118011!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25a137caafabf:0x8d78325cd63cf060!2m2!1d-74.0131458!2d40.7009512!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c25a2343ce7b2b:0x2526ddba7abd465c!2m2!1d-73.9968643!2d40.7060855!3e0

I don't think you can do all those things in one day: Japan Society, High Line, World Trade Center, BuzzFeed, Battery Park, Staten Island Ferry, and Brooklyn Bridge.  If you tried, you might quite literally be racing around.

The Staten Island Ferry will take you about two hours total, I think, including waiting in line time and riding both ways.

Can you tell me more about the Japan Society? I always like to see something new.

When you do the Staten Island ferry, as soon as you disembark get into the line to get back on or you're going to be sitting there for like 30 minutes. When you get off, you'll take a left, walk past the gift shop, and then take another left.

• Like 1

Bring scooters for your kids if you plan a lot of walking -- the small type you can fold -- it will make a difference. The "city kids" here ride them everywhere.

What time of year will you be visiting?

Good call on the scooters- my kids have them and use them frequently. Too bad I don't have one, lol. I imagine we'll actually be splurging on lots of Uber/Lyft rides. I have foot/knee/hip problems and just can't always take a ton of walking. 

We'll be there next week! :) 

• Like 1

I don't think you can do all those things in one day: Japan Society, High Line, World Trade Center, BuzzFeed, Battery Park, Staten Island Ferry, and Brooklyn Bridge.  If you tried, you might quite literally be racing around.

The Staten Island Ferry will take you about two hours total, I think, including waiting in line time and riding both ways.

Can you tell me more about the Japan Society? I always like to see something new.

Ha, well, I want to go there only to use the public restroom, LOL. They have the automated Toto washouts with the heated seats and the wash/dry function. For years I've been saying if/when I get back to NYC I want to go there just to use their toilets. Our stop there will be very brief, and after our early morning train ride into the city, the timing will probably be just right to try out those fancy potties. :) 

• Like 1

When you do the Staten Island ferry, as soon as you disembark get into the line to get back on or you're going to be sitting there for like 30 minutes. When you get off, you'll take a left, walk past the gift shop, and then take another left.

IME, as soon as we disembarked, we got into the line going back on... and we all waited 30 minutes. Maybe because it was a Saturday? I think they run less often on the weekends and had to stick to the schedule. (The ferry also waited -- in the terminal.)

Ha, well, I want to go there only to use the public restroom, LOL. They have the automated Toto washouts with the heated seats and the wash/dry function. For years I've been saying if/when I get back to NYC I want to go there just to use their toilets. Our stop there will be very brief, and after our early morning train ride into the city, the timing will probably be just right to try out those fancy potties. :)

LOL  Holy Cow -- I just found them on a youtube video and showed my teens and they ran from the room in horror!  LOL  Silly kids.

• Like 1

There is no line. It's a 30 minute boat ride. It will take ONE hour, start to finish, if you time it properly so you get to the boat as it departs. Most of the day, we're on a two boat schedule - the boats leave on the hour and on the half hour. During rush hour we're either on a three or four boat schedule. (Also, you don't always "take a left". It depends what slip the boat comes in on.)

Crucially, when they say that all passengers must depart the ferry at this time, they mean you. They can't load the boat until everybody is off the boat. So hop it! If there is no delay, and you're at the front of the crowd, you ought to easily be able to catch the next boat, no waiting.

If you're meat-eaters, a hot dog or some street cart food is always fun.

Hot dogs only from Rafiqi's, thanks, everything else is a ripoff. There's one permanently at the north end of Union Square, and one down by the Tribeca Whole Foods (which is near the best part of Battery Park City). But I prefer their gyros.

Oh, I forgot: If your kids are middle or high school aged, they're eligible for High 5 Tickets. I don't actually know how they confirm that you're a student if you homeschool in some place where you don't get annual letters of compliance - you should call and ask.

https://teens.artsconnection.org/faq-high5/

• Like 1

There is no line. It's a 30 minute boat ride. It will take ONE hour, start to finish, if you time it properly so you get to the boat as it departs. Most of the day, we're on a two boat schedule - the boats leave on the hour and on the half hour. During rush hour we're either on a three or four boat schedule. (Also, you don't always "take a left". It depends what slip the boat comes in on.)

It wasn't a line, it was a HUGE CRUSH MOB with some crazies even pushing into other people -- on the Manhattan side (the SI side was much lighter).  But it WAS a Saturday, so that's probably the reason.  Recently. It took us nearly 2 hours including the 30 minute wait on the SI side. (We did get to the terminal on the Manhattan side about 10 minutes early.)

So, OP, take it during the day (not rush hour) and *not* on a Saturday.

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider the usual mass of people loading the boat, even when it's 99% tourists, to be a crush mob. But if you don't like crowds then you should definitely go during the middle of the day, between 9am and 2pm. (After that, you've got the school kids coming through.)

Or you could go at night - the skyline is pretty when it's lit up. But not too late, or you'll get stuck on one of the Alice Austen class boats - tiny, and no way to go outside.

You know, once you're on Staten Island, we do have things to do here. Okay, not all that many things, but they do exist. Hm. Maybe I'll go to Historic Richmond Town tomorrow instead of the Met like I was planning.

I wouldn't consider the usual mass of people loading the boat, even when it's 99% tourists, to be a crush mob. But if you don't like crowds then you should definitely go during the middle of the day, between 9am and 2pm. (After that, you've got the school kids coming through.)

Just FYI

"huge crush mob" was my attempt at describing the fact that it was not a line (you had said there was no line -- and you were right! -- I had said "waiting in line" but it was really waiting in a mob). I was also describing the behavior of the people -- many, many people pushing from all sides, in the shape of a triangle (crushing down to a narrow opening at the front).

I do sometimes describe the usual mass of people somewhere as a mob *if* the usual mass *is* a ton of people all pushing together.

Anyway, as usual, YMMV, but I thought it prudent to give describing details so people know what they're getting into (especially if you have kids with you and you all want to stay together -- my youngers were separated from me by pushing people and it was annoying).  **Hey, I'd go again. It wasn't horrible. The ride over was nice.** Still, I always like to know, in advance, what the situation could be like.

My kids like It's Sugar!

Oh, oh, pro tip: If your kid is under... um... I think 4 feet tall, they legally don't have to pay a subway or bus fare. (And if they're under, like, 12 or 13 years of age then nobody cares even when they're taller, so long as they're traveling with you, though it's wise not to test this when there are cops right there, and if a bus driver calls you on it, your best thing to do is to just plead ignorance and pay the fare. Most drivers won't say anything, and some will even tell you not to pay, but there's always someone who wants to be a stickler.)

If you have to go into the train and the only turnstiles are the ones like revolving doors, you might be worried about logistics. You can squish two children and one adult in at the same time, and the way you do it without them pushing the door without you is you have them climb up a rung or two. (Alternatively, you go through and then open up the emergency exit. It depends on the kids' ages.)

• Like 1