Menu

Flooding-practical ways to help family

Rachel

My family is in SE Texas. Two cousins and an aunt will need help with the clean up. We will be heading down as soon as we can get there safely, also assuming there aren't road blocks that will prevent us. My grandparents live in the area so we have a place to stay. I'm guessing within the next week we will be going.

What are practical things to bring?

Fans

Dehumidifiers

Extension cords

Generator (will have access to one down there too)

Shovels

Gloves

Plastic tubs

Heavy duty garbage bags

Bleach

What else? We will bring food and water with us. Some stores are still open but we assume stock is low.

We plan to help with initial cleanup, tearing out carpet, tearing out sheetrock, sorting between salvageable and non salvageable items. Etc. What else?

Camera, with extra batteries and memory cards. Beyond documenting damage, you might want to take pictures of things that are sentimental, but will have to be discarded. Wet family pictures, for example, can't be fixed, but at least you could have a picture of it and preserve some of the memory.

• Like 6

Your list is good---but keep in mind that you may go through 2-3 pairs of work gloves per person per day if you are using inexpensive ones, and even the contractor quality ones may not hold up through the week.

I would also bring a basic tool set.  When we ripped up our carpet, we needed to use pliers and mini pry bar/nail puller to get up staples and glue. 

If you are pulling up linoleum: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000224PU/ref=asc_df_B0000224PU5146648/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0000224PU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167133658256&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6230320104326524874&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028097&hvtargid=pla-316284993835

Most likely you will need to be removing the bottom bits of drywall. A utility knife, small sledge hammer, and a prybar are all used in that process.  

I cannot emphasize this enough....you are really going to want N-95 masks.  You do not want to be breathing up mold, drywall dust, etc.  You may want to look into getting Tyvek suits and mud boots too.  

• Like 6

Do they have flood insurance? Anything that is not salvageable needs to be photographed to document loss and later assess value. 

For truly priceless photos you want to save, bring waxed paper and plastic ziplock bags and paper towels. The process is described here: https://www.thoughtco.com/salvaging-flood-and-water-damaged-photos-1422276

Please be careful and aware when you lift things up or reach into barely visible holes. Texas has a lot of venomous snakes. Water snakes too. One of my Texan friends in Houston was bemoaning all the "nature" that is displaced too.

Sun shelters? With netted sides?

Wader boots?

Hard hats?

Wire cutters?

Wet vac?

What's the status of gas lines and electric lines? I would not enter the disaster zone until emergency people give an "all clear."

• Like 2

I cannot emphasize this enough....you are really going to want N-95 masks.  You do not want to be breathing up mold, drywall dust, etc.  You may want to look into getting Tyvek suits and mud boots too.  

Ditto this-- those masks will be VERY important as mold spores will be everywhere even before you can see them. 

• Like 4

Your list is good---but keep in mind that you may go through 2-3 pairs of work gloves per person per day if you are using inexpensive ones, and even the contractor quality ones may not hold up through the week.

I would also bring a basic tool set. When we ripped up our carpet, we needed to use pliers and mini pry bar/nail puller to get up staples and glue.

If you are pulling up linoleum: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000224PU/ref=asc_df_B0000224PU5146648/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B0000224PU&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167133658256&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6230320104326524874&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9028097&hvtargid=pla-316284993835

Most likely you will need to be removing the bottom bits of drywall. A utility knife, small sledge hammer, and a prybar are all used in that process.

I cannot emphasize this enough....you are really going to want N-95 masks. You do not want to be breathing up mold, drywall dust, etc. You may want to look into getting Tyvek suits and mud boots too.

^^^^ This.

If you can get your hands on antimicrobials, they're much safer to work with than bleach. You don't want people breathing bleach fumes all day!!!

• Like 1

Thanks! Fortunately where they are isn't quite as bad as Houston but they are still facing a lot of damage. Roads are still closed so we can't go yet.

I had mud boots for myself and my husband, we picked up a few extra pairs for family. We have tons of work gloves. I'll double check the masks we have.

I'm not sure about flood insurance. It makes sense to take things to deal with paperwork. That definitely wouldn't have occurred to me.

Tractor Supply gave me a discount on huge fans so we have 5 to take down.

• Like 1

While waiting to go, consider finding out which restaurants near them are open. You can send gift cards via email from Amazon. They get them about 5 minutes after you send them. I did this for a few families members that were affected by the flood.

• Like 3

Thanks! Fortunately where they are isn't quite as bad as Houston but they are still facing a lot of damage. Roads are still closed so we can't go yet.

I had mud boots for myself and my husband, we picked up a few extra pairs for family. We have tons of work gloves. I'll double check the masks we have.

I'm not sure about flood insurance. It makes sense to take things to deal with paperwork. That definitely wouldn't have occurred to me.

Tractor Supply gave me a discount on huge fans so we have 5 to take down.

This may be a no-brainer and not really what you asked, but I would urge them to consider no carpet in the future there if they are getting new flooring. I saw this happen with a lot of people after Katrina.

• Like 3

I saw this and thought it might help you.

Tips if your house gets flooded...

1) Cut the power off. You do not want your AC coming on when it's under water. Unplug everything.

2) Take LOTS of pictures first! As soon as the water recedes, start cutting Sheetrock out. Close to 48 inches high if you can. (See picture below) Be careful not to cut wires or plumbing. Don't wait for FEMA or insurance company. Your main objective is to prevent black mold and they are weeks away from helping. 

3) Remove all wet carpet and wet insulation in the walls.

4) Spray 50/50 mixture of bleach and water everywhere including inside the walls where you cut the Sheetrock away. Or better yet, buy a solution called Concrobium from the hardware store specifically for this.

5) Get fans and heaters in there asap to start drying things out. 

Again, main objective is to stop the mold. If you can do this, recovery will be much much easier.

• Like 1

While waiting to go, consider finding out which restaurants near them are open. You can send gift cards via email from Amazon. They get them about 5 minutes after you send them. I did this for a few families members that were affected by the flood.

Right now nothing is open, Subway was for a little while yesterday.

We plan to help with initial cleanup, tearing out carpet, tearing out sheetrock, sorting between salvageable and non salvageable items. Etc. What else?

They're so lucky to have family like you! 

It looks like there's a lot of practical information on the FEMA website, including links to even more info.  Maybe you can start studying some of this before you leave...I'm overwhelmed just looking at the pages.

https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/1381405548275-ec9f9b9de186f1874b92ecda6c33182b/SandyFactsheet1CleaningFloodedBldgs_508_FINAL2.pdf

Best wishes to you and your family!

• Like 1

They're so lucky to have family like you!

It looks like there's a lot of practical information on the FEMA website, including links to even more info. Maybe you can start studying some of this before you leave...I'm overwhelmed just looking at the pages.

https://www.fema.gov/media-library-data/1381405548275-ec9f9b9de186f1874b92ecda6c33182b/SandyFactsheet1CleaningFloodedBldgs_508_FINAL2.pdf

Best wishes to you and your family!

Thank you!

I talked to my cousin whose house stayed dry this morning. He has no water or power but is overall positive. He fortunately has room for some the displaced family members while they rebuild. His dad's house and my grandparent's houses never took on water, so all my family whose houses are no longer inhabitable should have family with whom they can stay.

Water was to the eaves of my one cousin's two story home! All they have left is a small bag of clothes.

We are keeping an eye on things and hoping to see enough drainage that we can arrive Sat. Right now too many roads are closed and the closest we can get is about 60 miles away.

• Like 2

If you can get your hands on antimicrobials, they're much safer to work with than bleach. You don't want people breathing bleach fumes all day!!!

I've got a spray bottle of Concrobium for small jobs, but it looks like they sell it in gallon jugs.  Here's the page with cleaning instructions for a variety of surfaces:

http://www.concrobium.com/how-to-fight-mold/materials-surfaces/

• Like 1

Rach--make sure you can get enough gas to get to where you need to go, and back. The stations are all starting to sell out. I'm not even kidding. I spent this afternoon scrambling to find gas, and I waited in line for forever to get it.

Thank you. We are bringing at least 20 gallons with us.

We were hoping to leave Friday morning but it's looking like we need to postpone. I'm just not sure we will be able to get where we need to get and waiting may be better.