Menu

Essential oils for depression and anxiety?

Night Elf

Everyone has their opinions when it comes to essentials oils  :lol: .

I do think their have their place externally and for certain situations.

I like "Tranquility" from Rocky Mountain Oils. RMO just started selling rollers with that oil that are already diluted.

YMMV...

• Like 1

Oh no, not instead of her meds. In addition to her meds. The doctor is in the process of changing around all her meds and she's having breakthrough bouts of bad depression that is causing her anxiety to shoot high as well. She has been using her scented candles but we were wondering if some essential oils might be even better. She's also having trouble sleeping despite the two sleeping pills the doctor has her on so her days are shot because her nights are too. It's all just a hot mess. 

Anything that helps you sleep is a good thing. Sometimes just having a ritual is so super helpful for that. And it might as well smell good!

But it would be the sleep that help. imo ymmv

Anything that helps you sleep is a good thing. Sometimes just having a ritual is so super helpful for that. And it might as well smell good!

But it would be the sleep that help. imo ymmv

Yes, she just sent a note to her doctor today telling her she's desperate to get her sleeping habits back in place. She used to go to sleep at 9:00pm and wake up by 7:00am. Now she's not falling asleep until around 2:00am or so. She's had two nights last week where she didn't sleep at all. She does have a ritual that her doctor told her about. She turns off electronics at 9:00pm and takes her medicine and has a hot cup of tea. She reads for a while hoping her eyes will get tired. That hasn't been happening. She's just laying in bed for hours waiting for sleep. That's very trying for a person.

AND we're leaving at 6:00am tomorrow for a week long vacation to visit in-laws. The visit cannot be put off. Between her and me and all our med problems, we're just going to be a barrel of fun. :(

Oh no, not instead of her meds. In addition to her meds. The doctor is in the process of changing around all her meds and she's having breakthrough bouts of bad depression that is causing her anxiety to shoot high as well. She has been using her scented candles but we were wondering if some essential oils might be even better. She's also having trouble sleeping despite the two sleeping pills the doctor has her on so her days are shot because her nights are too. It's all just a hot mess. 

I personally find that lavendar helps me relax when I have anxiety attacks and sleep better.  One thing you do need to keep in mind and research is that some EOs can interact with meds.  Make sure if she is using the EOs to make sure they wont harm her because of the meds she is on.  

For example- I just did a quick search and here is some information that came up with lavendar EO and interactions.  (This is just an example that came up as I've never used this site before; obviously please do your own research first.). http://www.rxlist.com/lavender-page3/supplements.htm#Interactions 

I have not read any peer reviewed research on essential oils and depression/anxiety.

There is a lot of high quality research on the beneficial effects of exercise, so if you are looking for a good addition to medication try regular aerobic activity. Meditation/mindfulness also has shown positive results.

Exercise often helps with sleep as well, just don't do it within a couple hours of bedtime.

I hope things look up soon, anxiety and depression are miserable to cope with :(

• Like 4

Someone on FB posted a story about songs that help people relax. There was one called "Weightless." If I put that song on it knocks me right out. It's an 8 minute song, I don't think I've ever heard the end. If you have Spotify there are tons of Ambient music playlists of songs to zone put to.

• Like 1

I personally find that lavendar helps me relax when I have anxiety attacks and sleep better.  One thing you do need to keep in mind and research is that some EOs can interact with meds.  Make sure if she is using the EOs to make sure they wont harm her because of the meds she is on.  

For example- I just did a quick search and here is some information that came up with lavendar EO and interactions.  (This is just an example that came up as I've never used this site before; obviously please do your own research first.). http://www.rxlist.com/lavender-page3/supplements.htm#Interactions 

I never in a million years would have thought about drug interactions. According to the link you sent, she's on two meds that would interact with lavender. 

I have not read any peer reviewed research on essential oils and depression/anxiety.

There is a lot of high quality research on the beneficial effects of exercise, so if you are looking for a good addition to medication try regular aerobic activity. Meditation/mindfulness also has shown positive results.

Exercise often helps with sleep as well, just don't do it within a couple hours of bedtime.

I hope things look up soon, anxiety and depression are miserable to cope with :(

ITA with everything here. I'm currently reading the book Spark and the evidence for exercise helping depression and anxiety is compelling and backed by science.

• Like 3

I don't have any input on the essential oils, but I use the calm app on my phone to help me with anxiety. I know there are sleep stories that help some. I usually just use the open meditation or breathing portion.

• Like 2

:grouphug: :grouphug:  I feel for you both.

ITA with everything here. I'm currently reading the book Spark and the evidence for exercise helping depression and anxiety is compelling and backed by science.

I learned about Spark from these boards. I got it from the library but will buy my own copy. Great stuff!

• Like 2

Grapefruit oil makes me happy.  Not applied to my body in any way, I mix it with (flat) club soda and use it to wash windows.  Just the scent is enough to make me happier.  I have similar homemade cleaning solutions that include peppermint and lavender, and I've noticed the same thing with those scents. 

Patchouli burns my nose.  Other mixes smell like cat pee to me.  Apparently not everyone can detect the cat pee elements (most people think those blends smell like currants) , but if she can the scent would make her irritated and give a headache, so if possible I'd take her to a health food store and see which ones she likes the scent of.

For the purposes of a bedroom I might mix a cup or two of baking soda with a 30 or so drops of oil, sprinkle the powder around the room for 20-30 minutes, and then vacuum.  If you don't have a rug or carpet to apply that to, you could also make a mop solution of a little vinegar in water & drops of the oils, or mix a bit of the oil in a mixture of water and a clear alcohol like vodka or everclear, which you could spray in the air like room freshener.  I would not have her apply them to her body bc of drug interactions.

• Like 2

My library has 3 nonfiction books titled Spark, and several fiction!  I've requested two of them but I'm pretty sure this is the one you are talking about.  

Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain (Amazon link).  

(I don't know anything about essential oils. :-) )

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

This is not related to essential oils, but one thing that has helped me sleep so much better is changing the lightbulb in my bedside lamp. I got a bulb controlled by an app (it's the "C-sleep" version of the C by GE line). I programmed it to switch to a warm-colored, low output setting at a certain time, then to fade to dark over 5 minutes at a certain time. I also don't do screen time once the light switches to this bedtime setting. This has been a total sleep gamechanger for me.

I have to have bright lights (60W) in my lamps to keep from getting headaches while reading. But it would be so hard for me to go from the bright light at full blast to complete darkness when I turned it off for bed. This bulb has allowed me to keep bright white-toned light when I need it and then switch to yellow-toned, dimmed light fading to dark for sleeping.

From the reviews I've read, this bulb doesn't work well with Android devices. I have an iPhone and have had no problems. I initially bought just one bulb for my lamp because it's relatively expensive, but I liked it so much I bought one for my husband's lamp and may also get some of the C-Life bulbs for our living and dining room areas.

• Like 1

My library has 3 nonfiction books titled Spark, and several fiction!  I've requested two of them but I'm pretty sure this is the one you are talking about.  

Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain (Amazon link).  

(I don't know anything about essential oils. :-) )

That's the one. It not only talks about how exercise helps w/ anxiety and depression, but also adhd (this guy is the co-author of Driven to Distraction), aging, hormones, very compelling read.

• Like 1