Menu

Tell me about elective plastic surgery...

creekland

A poster on a previous thread mentioned having painful underarm lumps removed, but never came back to answer more questions about it, so I'm turning to the Hive.

I've had one painful lump for somewhere around 2 years now, and over that time that one has become at least three.  They are painful to put pressure on at any time, and very painful on their own during part of my cycle plus a handful of other times for who knows what reason.  A mammogram shows nothing.  An ultra sound shows nothing amiss.  Therefore, I've been told "such is life - no clue what they are or why they are painful - but it's probably fatty tissue."  This was a year ago now (when there were just two).  Other people can feel them, just those tests come up blank.

But, due to the pain, I've decided I want them gone - fatty tissue or whatever they are.  I just need to figure out how to do it.

I'm guessing this has to be a plastic surgeon?  If so, how does one find these folks?  Any idea roughly how much it would cost?  Since this is "me" deciding they need to go vs a doctor deciding they need to go, the cost is all on us - something we can do - but I'd like to know roughly how much to budget for it.  Sept is the soonest I could get around to it, but it could also be January (due to wanting to go to Jordan this fall while youngest son is there), so no rush, but any info anyone has would be helpful for my planning purposes.

Speaking of that... if it's cheaper to go out of country, that could be a perk too.  Are Thailand or India worth it?  We'll (likely) already be in Jordan at some point...

• Like 1

Your regular doctor could probably give you a reference. A general surgeon could probably do the work as well, particularly since the location sounds unobtrusive. They should stay with an initial appointment that would/could include a discussion of the cost.

It does sounds like something you could have done elsewhere. Wouldn't that be interesting. Perversely, I imagine it would be easier to find cost estimates ahead of time.

• Like 5

My dad had a fatty lump removed from his back because it was painful. I think a general surgeon did the removal, and if I remember correctly, the surgery and recovery time were pretty quick and easy. No idea on the cost, but this was years ago anyway so wouldn't be relevant anymore.  

• Like 1

Agreeing with the others that this sounds like a general surgeon issue. I also can't imagine why insurance wouldn't cover it. When I had a benign, non-painful breast lump my gynecologist told me I could have it removed any time, even if it was just because the thought of it being there bothered me. If your lumps are painful it shouldn't be a problem at all for a doctor or surgeon to code it so that insurance will cover. 

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 8

I had a lump removed from my right arm pit. My GP handled finding the surgeon and the referral in which my insurance covered it. It ended up being fatty breast tissue about the size of a golf ball. Definitely uncomfortable so I don't blame you for wanting it removed.

Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 2

Well, I would look into Jordan. I had an excellent doctor from France in Beirut and cost is pennies on the dollar. 

The local university hospital might be a good place to start.

This idea is intriguing me more as I think about it, but I haven't heard of Jordan being as much of a place to go as India or Thailand.  I might have a bit of time over the next two weeks to do some googling though.

Agreeing with the others that this sounds like a general surgeon issue. I also can't imagine why insurance wouldn't cover it. When I had a benign, non-painful breast lump my gynecologist told me I could have it removed any time, even if it was just because the thought of it being there bothered me. If your lumps are painful it shouldn't be a problem at all for a doctor or surgeon to code it so that insurance will cover. 

I will probably check with my (new) local doctor first I think.  I'd want another mammogram just because the other is over a year old now, but I don't suspect they'll see anything on it as these aren't in its range of "vision."  After my gyn felt the lumps last year she sent me to a general surgeon who looked at the results from the US and said nothing needed to be done.  That's why I assumed I'd have to go elsewhere.  There was never an option of "do you want them out anyway?"  It was cut and dried with "everything is fine."

We're with health share.  Health share will pay for pretty much anything a doctor deems necessary, but not pure elective things.  If the doctor says nothing needs to be done, I imagine this falls into elective.  If my new doctor thinks differently, then perhaps it would be covered 100% - here or overseas.  I guess that's another thing I should check on.  They definitely bother me - esp when they are super painful - and I really don't like that there are more of them, but I suppose taking them out won't stop others from coming.  It should buy time though.

All surgeries have risk. As the M.D. who did my LASIK surgeries in 1997  told my wife and me, before we scheduled my surgeries, "I'm dealing with healthy patients. It is incredibly important to me that my patients understand the risks".  That was when she was working on getting FDA approval for the LASIK surgery procedure.    The first part of the OP references underarm lumps and I thought of my cousin the eminent Dermatologist.  But then, you reference your Breasts and a Mammogram examination.  I would think that you should discuss this with a Board Certified OB-GYN (I suspect you have already done that), and then a surgeon who specializes in Breast surgery if the lumps are in your Breasts.  However, I wonder if there are some other tests that can be done, in addition to a Mammogram examination?  I think you need to determine what the lumps are and then figure out how to remove them.  I assume they are not just Non-Fibrous Cysts, which can be caused by Caffeine, etc.?

• Like 1

If it is causing you pain then I don't think it could be considered cosmetic or unnecessary.  I think your doctor might be able to write this up so that it gets covered as it should. Good luck!

Yes, this.  I don't see why you can't explain to a doctor that you are in pain and need it removed.  My son's cyst was removed.  He had it removed at age 16, but had had it since birth.  The doctor said he agreed it should be removed (a plastic surgeon) even though his reg. family doc said it wasn't necessary.  It was covered by insurance.  And just for reference, "retail" price was $32,000.  I can't remember off hand what insurance paid but it was upwards of $18K as I remember.  There ended up being some complications, nothing serious, but it did add to the cost.

We have been fortunate, there is a plastic surgeon who is here in this city, who worked under my dad while in his residency, so he came recommended by someone I trust!  He also happens to be a homeschool dad.  And he had already done 2 surgeries on my other son.

I would get a referral (if your insurance requires one) and go see a plastic surgeon, or a general surgeon.  I bet you can get it covered.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 2

This idea is intriguing me more as I think about it, but I haven't heard of Jordan being as much of a place to go as India or Thailand.  I might have a bit of time over the next two weeks to do some googling though.

I imagine you don't hear about it because of language issues maybe? But most doctors I have meet in the several countries in the region I have traveled through speak English and you may be surprised at the # of Drs trained outside. Many of the universities there have programs for students to start there and then transfer to finish overseas.

For example, once in a village in Egypt, my DS became ill (fever, cough, really bad). We immediately walked down to the local clinic (think small hospital). Excellent Dr, very through and British educated. Ended up he had walking pneumonia. We had blood tests, x rays, like 4 meds plus anitbiotic shots 2x a day (any pharmacy there could admin them, most have a nurse or dr on staff). All total I think we spent about $20. We tipped the nurse like <$1/shot when we went each time (plus buying the meds, about $1/shot) for 1 week. All total it was about <$50. That was back when the Egyptian pound was 5-6 for US$1. Now prices have gone up a bit (not THAT much), but the Egyptian pound is about 20 = US$1. Things are SOOOO cheap in Egypt right now. If you wanted to swing by there, I know a lovely resort/hotel to recommend  :lol:  to recuperate in (you can get a room with a view of the pool and the pyramids).

• Like 1

The first part of the OP references underarm lumps and I thought of my cousin the eminent Dermatologist.  But then, you reference your Breasts and a Mammogram examination.  I would think that you should discuss this with a Board Certified OB-GYN (I suspect you have already done that), and then a surgeon who specializes in Breast surgery if the lumps are in your Breasts.  However, I wonder if there are some other tests that can be done, in addition to a Mammogram examination?  I think you need to determine what the lumps are and then figure out how to remove them.  I assume they are not just Non-Fibrous Cysts, which can be caused by Caffeine, etc.?

The lumps aren't in the breast at all - the mammogram confirmed that.  The ultrasound showed the rest of the underarm was "just fine."  That's where it ended.  These things can be felt (one side only), but don't show up.  I'm guessing that's why they said they're fatty tissue?

The weird thing is the first one came on literally overnight - or at least - the pain did, but there's a visible bump too that wasn't there prior to the pain (hubby confirms not seeing it prior).  The first thought was infected lymph node, but the acute pain subsided after a day or so, so I suspected all was well.  The lump itself never went away afterward and always remained painful to touch (like in the shower), but one had to push down on it to feel it.  On good days it's still that way - although there are at least three lumps now.  On bad days it's acute pain all over again.  I'm just getting tired of it happening, so figure if I get them removed it should stop the problem (at least until more grow).

No one can explain how "fatty tissue" appears suddenly like that, but at this point I'm used to being unusual so don't spend time pondering that part.

Yes, this.  I don't see why you can't explain to a doctor that you are in pain and need it removed.  My son's cyst was removed.  He had it removed at age 16, but had had it since birth.  The doctor said he agreed it should be removed (a plastic surgeon) even though his reg. family doc said it wasn't necessary.  It was covered by insurance.  And just for reference, "retail" price was $32,000.  I can't remember off hand what insurance paid but it was upwards of $18K as I remember.  There ended up being some complications, nothing serious, but it did add to the cost.

Ok... that's pretty costly.  I was expecting costs more similar to my carpal tunnel surgeries - somewhere in the 3 - 5K range when everything is added in.

I'll start with my local doc in Sept and see how far that progresses, then call to see if it would be covered or not.  If not, going overseas seems far more attractive.

I imagine you don't hear about it because of language issues maybe? But most doctors I have meet in the several countries in the region I have traveled through speak English and you may be surprised at the # of Drs trained outside. Many of the universities there have programs for students to start there and then transfer to finish overseas.

For example, once in a village in Egypt, my DS became ill (fever, cough, really bad). We immediately walked down to the local clinic (think small hospital). Excellent Dr, very through and British educated. Ended up he had walking pneumonia. We had blood tests, x rays, like 4 meds plus anitbiotic shots 2x a day (any pharmacy there could admin them, most have a nurse or dr on staff). All total I think we spent about $20. We tipped the nurse like <$1/shot when we went each time (plus buying the meds, about $1/shot) for 1 week. All total it was about <$50. That was back when the Egyptian pound was 5-6 for US$1. Now prices have gone up a bit (not THAT much), but the Egyptian pound is about 20 = US$1. Things are SOOOO cheap in Egypt right now. If you wanted to swing by there, I know a lovely resort/hotel to recommend  :lol:  to recuperate in (you can get a room with a view of the pool and the pyramids).

This sounds really, really appealing.  I haven't seen the pyramids yet.

I'll see where it all ends up.  I have no time to even think about moving forward on it until Sept.  We're going to be gone most of the rest of July and at least half of Aug mostly caring for parent needs, but our Anniversary is in Aug too - along with dropping middle son off at med school and going to see the Eclipse.

I can probably fit a mammogram in toward the end of July just to have that part "done" - double checking there's nothing "bad" nearby.

Do you have history of breast cancer in your family?  My cousin had painful lumps, had them removed and more came.  She went through this 3 times before she finally had both breasts removed.  Her mother, both aunts, her grandmother, and great aunt all had breast cancer.  She just decided that would be best.

Do you have history of breast cancer in your family?  My cousin had painful lumps, had them removed and more came.  She went through this 3 times before she finally had both breasts removed.  Her mother, both aunts, her grandmother, and great aunt all had breast cancer.  She just decided that would be best.

My paternal grandmother had bc, but these aren't in the breasts.  The mammogram is mainly routine making sure nothing IS there that can't be felt since these are nearby.

• Like 1

I did a quick read of many posts. Acute pain is not a good symptom. I hope you can get this diagnosed ASAP and correctly. The thread title mentioned Cosmetic Surgery but this isn't Cosmetic IMO. Let us assume a Board Certified Dermatologist removed the lumps. They would then send them to the hospital laboratory. If there is the slightest possibility the Breasts are involved this should be resolved ASAP.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

I did a quick read of many posts. Acute pain is not a good symptom. I hope you can get this diagnosed ASAP and correctly. The thread title mentioned Cosmetic Surgery but this isn't Cosmetic IMO. Let us assume a Board Certified Dermatologist removed the lumps. They would then send them to the hospital laboratory. If there is the slightest possibility the Breasts are involved this should be resolved ASAP.

But this has been going on for almost 2 years now.  I did mention it right away - and later - and did mammograms (2 regular, 1 3D) plus the ultrasound and was told everything was fine.

I don't think dermatology is the right specialty.  These aren't in the skin at all.  They're deeper - pretty easy for me to find since I can zero in on the pain.  It's a little harder for doctors to find because they tend to look too shallow (on the surface), but once I direct them, they can feel them too - only on the one side.  But still... when tests say nothing is there...  What else should they be doing?  The two (plus a surgeon) I've seen have been puzzled and told me they don't know what it could be - esp coming on suddenly as it did.  I certainly have no idea.

All that ended around a year ago.  I've just recently decided I'm tired of having them (esp now that there's three) and figure since they can be felt, someone can go inside, see what they are, and remove them.  If regular doctors don't feel there's a problem and won't do anything, I thought a plastic surgeon - paid for by me - would.  I was kind of thinking they'd do anything (more or less anyway).  Perhaps that's wrong?

I'm facing similar issues - I have a visible and palpable lipoma (which I believe to more specifically be a herniation of adipose/fat) in my lower back. It is painful and seems to connect to some of my lower back pain issues.

Yet it would be an "elective" to have it excised because it's me asking them to remove it vs them advising me to have it removed.

Kind of an awkward medical limbo. Right now, with media-share for medical coverage, I'd be self paying because diagnostically "there's nothing wrong" yet after my research I'm confident some of my pain would be alleviated.

Except the general surgeon I saw said nothing looked amiss on the ultrasound and there was no reason to do anything...

Go see another surgeon. Getting a second opinion is routine. Describe the pain in detail. Tell them you are worried about what it might be. Go to a female surgeon if necessary. I've noticed that the older I get, the more quickly male doctors dismiss my concerns.

• Like 5

I just scanned through the posts, Creekland, but has anyone mentioned "hidradenitis"? I had a large, painful lump appear almost overnight in my right armpit shortly after my daughter was born. It was almost a year before I went to the doctor about it. My first visit was useless ("nothing to worry about"), but then I went back a few weeks later and saw the other partner in my gp practice. He kindly said, "You want this gone, don't you?" :-)

He referred me to a general surgeon who immediately scheduled surgery. The surgeon tested the tissue and determined that it was hidradenitis--an infected sweat gland. I've read that once you have one, it is very likely that you will have more (I have not). I have a dear friend who has had multiple ones over the course of a decade.

I will warn you that the recovery from that seemingly simple surgery was not pleasant, and my incision had a terrible time healing. Of course, the location and the fact that it was June in the southern US had a lot to do with that. lol! I do have an unsightly scar---but hey, it is in my armpit! 

• Like 2

Except the general surgeon I saw said nothing looked amiss on the ultrasound and there was no reason to do anything...

That may be his way of saying it doesn't appear to be malignant and no biopsy is recommended. Or he is saying he doesn't want to do the job.

Lipomas are like moles, if its in an awkward place that is a good reason for removal. Pain is also a good reason.

For the axilla, a general surgeon.  There are a lot of important structures in the armpit:  neurovascular bundle for the arm, lymphatic drainage, brachial plexus.  This all to say that depending how deep and large your lumps are, this may not be a simple procedure and you need a surgeon who really know their way around the axilla and who will have a very frank discussion of risks before you consent.  At the very least you will be replacing you lumps with scar tissue, which may itself be bothersome.

With respect to international "medical tourism" surgery, also be sure you understand the risks and the medical culture of the community that you live in (will be returning to post-op) and understand how complications will be handled once you are home.  Your PCP would probably be the best person to discuss this with.  I can tell you about my corner of Canada:  one of the primary principles of surgery is that any surgeon who performs an operation is responsible for managing his/her own complications.  One owns ones work.  This is a big thing.  Surgeons who don't provide appropriate follow-up for their patients and who aren't available to manage complications (happens from time to time with certain boutique type cosmetic practices here, and medical tourism cases) are regarded with contempt by their colleagues who get stuck with their complications (and sooner or later get into trouble with the college if they are local).  How will complications be handled when you have returned form abroad?  Will they be covered by your insurance?  I can tell you that if you turn up at a local ED here with complications from surgery you had electively abroad, you will get care, but the surgeon who cares for you will be annoyed (even if they don't show it) and that is not a great way to start a medical relationship.

Edited by wathe
  • Like 1

Did you tell him they were painful and you wanted them removed?

At that time of my life I presumed if one went to a doctor with a condition they could "see" (feel), they would take care of it however was best.  Therefore, when they said it was nothing - needing nothing done - I'll admit I believed them.

It's only been very recently after I heard here on the Hive that a poster had hers removed that I began to think about getting mine removed, esp after discovering that my chest pains (and more) decreased when I lowered my iron content (ie things can get better - and when they do - life is vastly improved).  

With health share, we pay for all the basics ourselves, and then any electives.  We save at least $500/month, so that's 6K+ per year I can use and still "break even."  If the cost were similar to what health share paid for carpal tunnel (roughly 3K per arm), then it can fit nicely into our budget.  If it's closer to 18K or 32K... I'll need to look overseas or probably will give up on the idea.

I'm facing similar issues - I have a visible and palpable lipoma (which I believe to more specifically be a herniation of adipose/fat) in my lower back. It is painful and seems to connect to some of my lower back pain issues.

Yet it would be an "elective" to have it excised because it's me asking them to remove it vs them advising me to have it removed.

Kind of an awkward medical limbo. Right now, with media-share for medical coverage, I'd be self paying because diagnostically "there's nothing wrong" yet after my research I'm confident some of my pain would be alleviated.

I looked up lipoma... I'm not sure if that's it or not.  This, to me, seems deeper - but I'm no expert, so maybe.

If/when I check with my local doctor after another mammogram, I'll see what she says.  If she agrees they can/should be removed, then I'll contact Samaritans to see if it's covered or not.  If so, then it will be covered at 100% and I won't have to worry about cost.  If not, then I'll need to start seeing if places will give me prices and go from there.

Go see another surgeon. Getting a second opinion is routine. Describe the pain in detail. Tell them you are worried about what it might be. Go to a female surgeon if necessary. I've noticed that the older I get, the more quickly male doctors dismiss my concerns.

Honestly?  No one seems to take much seriously once I had the brain tumor.  Everything afterward has been stress.  I thought this would be different since it can be felt, and I guess it was since the tests were done (vs the other issues where they don't even do tests), but once those tests came back "ok," I think it's all back to "stress."  But if I can get this fixed "myself," that's ok and it would be one less thing to be bothering me physically - and by default - mentally, aka, less stress.  

I just scanned through the posts, Creekland, but has anyone mentioned "hidradenitis"? I had a large, painful lump appear almost overnight in my right armpit shortly after my daughter was born. It was almost a year before I went to the doctor about it. My first visit was useless ("nothing to worry about"), but then I went back a few weeks later and saw the other partner in my gp practice. He kindly said, "You want this gone, don't you?" :-)

He referred me to a general surgeon who immediately scheduled surgery. The surgeon tested the tissue and determined that it was hidradenitis--an infected sweat gland. I've read that once you have one, it is very likely that you will have more (I have not). I have a dear friend who has had multiple ones over the course of a decade.

I will warn you that the recovery from that seemingly simple surgery was not pleasant, and my incision had a terrible time healing. Of course, the location and the fact that it was June in the southern US had a lot to do with that. lol! I do have an unsightly scar---but hey, it is in my armpit! 

No one had mentioned it and I'd never heard of it, so I just spent some time with google.  This never started on the skin or slightly under the skin.  It's some sort deeper lump, and either swollen enough itself to be painful or pressing on a nerve.  When it gets acute it must either swell more or tissues around it might causing it to press harder against the nerve.  Beyond that, I have no other semi-educated guesses - and those guesses comes solely off of what I feel and my understanding of bio (which probably doesn't include all possibilities).  I can't quite explain why there are more, but where there was one... I guess that can happen.

That may be his way of saying it doesn't appear to be malignant and no biopsy is recommended. Or he is saying he doesn't want to do the job.

Lipomas are like moles, if its in an awkward place that is a good reason for removal. Pain is also a good reason.

Maybe. I don't know.  It seemed pretty cut and dried at the time.  The first is definite (from his POV and the tests).  The rest?  I have no idea.

For the axilla, a general surgeon.  There are a lot of important structures in the armpit:  neurovascular bundle for the arm, lymphatic drainage, brachial plexus.  This all to say that depending how deep and large your lumps are, this may not be a simple procedure and you need a surgeon who really know their way around the axilla and who will have a very frank discussion of risks before you consent.  At the very least you will be replacing you lumps with scar tissue, which may itself be bothersome.

With respect to international "medical tourism" surgery, also be sure you understand the risks and the medical culture of the community that you live in (will be returning to post-op) and understand how complications will be handled once you are home.  Your PCP would probably be the best person to discuss this with.  I can tell you about my corner of Canada:  one of the primary principles of surgery is that any surgeon who performs an operation is responsible for managing his/her own complications.  One owns ones work.  This is a big thing.  Surgeons who don't provide appropriate follow-up for their patients and who aren't available to manage complications (happens from time to time with certain boutique type cosmetic practices here, and medical tourism cases) are regarded with contempt by their colleagues who get stuck with their complications (and sooner or later get into trouble with the college if they are local).  How will complications be handled when you have returned form abroad?  Will they be covered by your insurance?  I can tell you that if you turn up at a local ED here with complications from surgery you had electively abroad, you will get care, but the surgeon who cares for you will be annoyed (even if they don't show it) and that is not a great way to start a medical relationship.

Hmm, I hadn't thought of that possibility.  I appreciate your bringing it up... it's definitely worth considering.  Carpal tunnel is my only surgery experience (other than a tubal) and it's had no negative affect in either hand afterward.

I've had two breast surgeries and two abdominal and pelvic surgeries in the last year, and scar tissue development is a thing. I can feel webs and strands of it in the surgical areas, and I do massage and yoga to lengthen and break it up. The scars can be painful, especially the tissue that has clumped around nerves. That said, if you are in pain, you should seek out another general surgeon and perhaps even a plastic surgeon to get information about your lumps. The reason I say plastic surgeon is because they are experts at minimizing scar tissue development, and a plastic surgeon who does a lot of breast work is going to be very familiar with the axilla and its associated lymph nodes.

• Like 1

I can understand how you feel about being told it's nothing.

Years ago I painful breasts. Painful lumpy breasts. Every time I complained about them I would get sent for tests and then someone would happily tell me it wasn't cancer.

I would reply, "I know. I told you that. I have been told it's not cancer many times. But it hurts all the time. I have to wear bras all the time and can't let my husband or kids touch me anywhere in the chest aera, even for a gentle hug!" And the reply would always be a confused person stating that it's not cancer, and not understanding why I wouldn't walk away happy at this news???? At best they would tell me that the pain should go away with menopause. I was in my early 30s at the time, and for some reason didn't think just waiting for menopause would be a good idea.

Turns out after many doctors and trying stuff taking over the counter, "evening primrose oil" cleared everything up in 2 weeks.

• Like 1

I've had two breast surgeries and two abdominal and pelvic surgeries in the last year, and scar tissue development is a thing. I can feel webs and strands of it in the surgical areas, and I do massage and yoga to lengthen and break it up. The scars can be painful, especially the tissue that has clumped around nerves. That said, if you are in pain, you should seek out another general surgeon and perhaps even a plastic surgeon to get information about your lumps. The reason I say plastic surgeon is because they are experts at minimizing scar tissue development, and a plastic surgeon who does a lot of breast work is going to be very familiar with the axilla and its associated lymph nodes.

I wish there were a way to be able to see "results" ahead of time to know whether something was worth it or not.  (sigh)

Thanks for sharing your experience.  I'll have to think a bit more to figure out if I want to keep the "devil I have" or "what might come."

I can understand how you feel about being told it's nothing.

Years ago I painful breasts. Painful lumpy breasts. Every time I complained about them I would get sent for tests and then someone would happily tell me it wasn't cancer.

I would reply, "I know. I told you that. I have been told it's not cancer many times. But it hurts all the time. I have to wear bras all the time and can't let my husband or kids touch me anywhere in the chest aera, even for a gentle hug!" And the reply would always be a confused person stating that it's not cancer, and not understanding why I wouldn't walk away happy at this news???? At best they would tell me that the pain should go away with menopause. I was in my early 30s at the time, and for some reason didn't think just waiting for menopause would be a good idea.

Turns out after many doctors and trying stuff taking over the counter, "evening primrose oil" cleared everything up in 2 weeks.

Mine doesn't seem the same as yours (except the "live with it and be happy" part), but I wonder if evening primrose oil would stop the acute times that often seem to come from my cycle.  How do you use it?

If it's painful, then removal is NOT cosmetic, so I'd think your health share would cover it. 

I think that part totally depends upon how the doctor views it.  But now I'm not sure if I want to trade one evil for another pain-wise.

ETA:  I had visions of this being similar to carpal tunnel.  Problem discovered, problem fixed, problem gone.  

Or there is one other semi-surgery I had where they took a ganglia that had changed color off my finger - worrying that the changing color wasn't good.  That ended up being basic fatty tissue with the color change coming from blood vessels that had grown around it.  It never bothered me except for a couple of days when the color change happened. (I assumed I had hit it on something and just didn't remember doing so.) It was painless before and after that, but taking it off wasn't a bother at all, and I gotta admit, it looks better not having it there.  I no longer get questions about it.  That one didn't show up on x-rays either, so I'm guessing whatever these are could be the same thing - just pressing on nerves due to their location.

But if taking these out can cause other issues... there's a bit to think about.

Edited by creekland

Is this a fibrocystic lump?

I have no idea what it is.  All I recall them saying was "fatty tissue" and "don't worry about it."  I asked how fatty tissue could come on overnight and was told they have no idea.  I don't worry about it.  I get annoyed by it, esp when it's painful without putting pressure on it.

At that time of my life I presumed if one went to a doctor with a condition they could "see" (feel), they would take care of it however was best. Therefore, when they said it was nothing - needing nothing done - I'll admit I believed them.

It's only been very recently after I heard here on the Hive that a poster had hers removed that I began to think about getting mine removed, esp after discovering that my chest pains (and more) decreased when I lowered my iron content (ie things can get better - and when they do - life is vastly improved).

With health share, we pay for all the basics ourselves, and then any electives. We save at least $500/month, so that's 6K+ per year I can use and still "break even." If the cost were similar to what health share paid for carpal tunnel (roughly 3K per arm), then it can fit nicely into our budget. If it's closer to 18K or 32K... I'll need to look overseas or probably will give up on the idea.

I looked up lipoma... I'm not sure if that's it or not. This, to me, seems deeper - but I'm no expert, so maybe.

If/when I check with my local doctor after another mammogram, I'll see what she says. If she agrees they can/should be removed, then I'll contact Samaritans to see if it's covered or not. If so, then it will be covered at 100% and I won't have to worry about cost. If not, then I'll need to start seeing if places will give me prices and go from there.

Honestly? No one seems to take much seriously once I had the brain tumor. Everything afterward has been stress. I thought this would be different since it can be felt, and I guess it was since the tests were done (vs the other issues where they don't even do tests), but once those tests came back "ok," I think it's all back to "stress." But if I can get this fixed "myself," that's ok and it would be one less thing to be bothering me physically - and by default - mentally, aka, less stress.

No one had mentioned it and I'd never heard of it, so I just spent some time with google. This never started on the skin or slightly under the skin. It's some sort deeper lump, and either swollen enough itself to be painful or pressing on a nerve. When it gets acute it must either swell more or tissues around it might causing it to press harder against the nerve. Beyond that, I have no other semi-educated guesses - and those guesses comes solely off of what I feel and my understanding of bio (which probably doesn't include all possibilities). I can't quite explain why there are more, but where there was one... I guess that can happen.

Maybe. I don't know. It seemed pretty cut and dried at the time. The first is definite (from his POV and the tests). The rest? I have no idea.

That doesn't sound like a lipoma- as typically they are visible lumps kind of on top of muscle/tendon. My mom has had several on her wrist removed and then they returned. She only had them removed when they stared to cause her pain.

My painful lump is not a lipoma in the traditional sense as it isn't noticeably visible but easily palpable (even to my unskilled DH). And I'm a massage therapist so I've felt plenty of lipomas and have had a few clients have them removed. Some cause pain and some don't.

But yours sounds different so maybe it's on a deeper layer.

I agree with your strategy of talking to your Dr and calling Samaritans to see what's covered and not.

Compared to a brain tumor, I could see how the medical field could be more dismissive. But still if it's causing you pain and concern, that's important.

• Like 1

Compared to a brain tumor, I could see how the medical field could be more dismissive. But still if it's causing you pain and concern, that's important.

I was just thinking it'd be a little thing that could be fixed (even if at my own expense) making life less physically/mentally stressful.  I just don't want to end up with more problems instead of less - regardless of who pays for it.

I was just thinking it'd be a little thing that could be fixed (even if at my own expense) making life less physically/mentally stressful. I just don't want to end up with more problems instead of less - regardless of who pays for it.

I understand that so well! I had exploratory knee surgery 3 years ago in which the surgeon determined and repaired the issue that had been causing me pain... problem solved. Except I have never fully regained full use of my knee (no longer able to run without pain, and still significant muscle imbalance in surrounding muscles- should have had more PT). And we paid $7000. But ya know it's still so much better than limping around in constant pain. But going into surgery it was an unknown outcome- but I had reached my limit with the way things were.

It's a tough spot to be in- not knowing if you're making things worse or better by surgical intervention.

• Like 1

I had a fatty lump under my right arm removed. The doctor said it was cosmetic really, but because it was the size of an egg, he could classify as 'needs to come out' basically. I had a drain for a week or two & am still (after 15 years) numb at the incision scar. I have one under my left arm now that has been there for 11 years or so. I don't want to deal with the surgery, drain, or mess, so I'm just living with it.

I think a compassionate doctor would classify it differently if it was unsightly?

• Like 1

I had a fatty lump under my right arm removed. The doctor said it was cosmetic really, but because it was the size of an egg, he could classify as 'needs to come out' basically. I had a drain for a week or two & am still (after 15 years) numb at the incision scar. I have one under my left arm now that has been there for 11 years or so. I don't want to deal with the surgery, drain, or mess, so I'm just living with it.

I think a compassionate doctor would classify it differently if it was unsightly?

Perhaps.  These aren't egg sized.  They're more like elongated marble sized. I'm assuming they're just in a bad position since they're painful at their size.

I guess I'm leaning against doing anything at this point and will just keep it on my list of things I put up with.

• Like 1

What I could feel on the outside was about the size of a Lima bean - what they took out was the size of an egg. I had no idea that it was that big inside. I wouldn't have surgery if it was cosmetic - the cost would be too painful. But, if the pain or nuisance was worse, I'd contemplate it.

• Like 1

What I could feel on the outside was about the size of a Lima bean - what they took out was the size of an egg. I had no idea that it was that big inside. I wouldn't have surgery if it was cosmetic - the cost would be too painful. But, if the pain or nuisance was worse, I'd contemplate it.

Could they see yours on an ultrasound scan?

• Like 1

Perhaps.  These aren't egg sized.  They're more like elongated marble sized. I'm assuming they're just in a bad position since they're painful at their size.

I guess I'm leaning against doing anything at this point and will just keep it on my list of things I put up with.

It's causing you pain!  I don't see why a doctor couldn't get that covered if it causes pain.  Give it a shot!  

It's causing you pain!  I don't see why a doctor couldn't get that covered if it causes pain.  Give it a shot!  

What's giving me pause isn't the cost at this point.  It's wondering if I'd do more harm than good - exchanging one pain that isn't too terrible except on certain days (and menopause should be coming in the next 4-5 years potentially bringing relief from most of those days) for another that I wouldn't be able to get rid of at all (from scar tissue).

• Like 2

Could they see yours on an ultrasound scan?

They never did an ultrasound on that one (I have had an ultrasound on another one closer to the breast). I think because it had characteristics of a lipoma and they recommended removing it anyway, they didn't do one.

The doctor knew it was bigger than what could actually be felt because of the fatty bulge that would protrude from my armpit when holding my arm out to the side. (It seemed like the fat was about the size of a large grape) I always felt it when I was laying down, so the bean-size was all that I was able to feel.

Edited by clementine
  • Like 1

They never did an ultrasound on that one (I have had an ultrasound on another one closer to the breast). I think because it had characteristics of a lipoma and they recommended removing it anyway, they didn't do one.

The doctor knew it was bigger than what could actually be felt because of the fatty bulge that would protrude from my armpit when holding my arm out to the side. (It seemed like the fat was about the size of a large grape) I always felt it when I was laying down, so the bean-size was all that I was able to feel.

Interesting.  The bulge from this one is easy to see too, esp if compared to my other armpit, but it's not a lump, it's more like a ridge.  I'm not sure what the lump is pushing out.  Extra blood vessels growing around fatty tissue (like I had on my finger) definitely seems like it could make sense though.  However, I mentioned that possibility and it got dismissed quickly so that's their perspective.

I'm not sure what I could do to find out "what" it is on my own.  I suspect any test that puts dye into blood could tell if blood vessels were involved and/or normal or not, but I'm pretty sure I don't have any authority to get that one done on my own regardless of cost and who's paying for it.

I am going to leave my other armpit alone - it's only slightly painful during a certain time of the month & in a swimsuit I'm just around family, so no biggie.

If things changed, grew, or became very painful, I'd have it taken out. For now I don't want to deal with the hassle, cost, or recovery.

I hope yours stays the same too :)

• Like 1

I am going to leave my other armpit alone - it's only slightly painful during a certain time of the month & in a swimsuit I'm just around family, so no biggie.

If things changed, grew, or became very painful, I'd have it taken out. For now I don't want to deal with the hassle, cost, or recovery.

I hope yours stays the same too :)

I think it helps that I don't feel pain as strongly as other folks due.  Many folks told me how awful nerve testing was... and I'm sure for them it was, but I could barely feel the needles and only one of them was somewhat painful.  I wouldn't use pain to describe the feeling from any of the others.  My eyes also don't tear up when cutting onions and I sometimes get scrapes or bruises that others point out.  I have no idea how/when they got there.  The first night after carpal tunnel surgery was painful, but not to the point of needing painkillers.

If I only feel pain from this when I press on it most of the time and just during "that time" (or just preceding it) does it hurt no matter what I do - with menopause coming - I can probably deal with it

• Like 1