Menu

Summer meals to bring to a large family going through crisis

amyinva

A friend of mine, who has her own 3 teens plus her mother living with her and her DH, just had 3 more teens move in because of the sudden death of their mother. I would like to help them with some meals. I would especially like to have meals they could freeze, if possible, so they can use them whenever they need them most. I find this easier with winter recipes. Any ideas for hot-weather meals for 9 adult-sized people? Bonus points if they freeze well.

Thank you!

Sloppy joes. The meat part can be frozen and reheated quickly on the stove or in a microwave. Buns can also be frozen. This was my mom's go to meal when feeding my teen brother and his friends. Cooked pulled pork can also be frozen for sandwiches.

• Like 3

YOU are an amazing friend!!! :hurray:

A Couple of Quick Ideas:

Shredded, stewed chicken (br**st  meat, if possible) in gallon zip loc freezer bags

Cooked, crumbled hamburger meat in gallon zip loc freezer bags (along with spaghetti sauce and noodles and parm perhaps?)

Frozen plain or fried rice ( with cooked chicken or pork in it)  in gallon zip loc freezer bags  (possibly include soy sauce and fortune cookies, would be #cool)

Marinated Chicken Br**sts (or any other meat)  in a Marinade with buns or condiments

Sweet and Sour Pork in gallon zip loc bags. Send rice too!

Cooked beans!  Ditto rice.

Pre-made, Ready To Bake Casseroles:  (a la  Hamburger Noodle Bake or Chicken Divan or Curry Sauce with Rice or Chicken Spaghetti)

Pre-made Burger Patties with all the fixings...

• Like 1

Frozen pizza or gift certificates to delivery pizza

Sandwich bar stuff - rolls, deli meats, lettuce, tomato, condiments (don't assume she has condiments on hand)

hamburgers already made into patties

spagetti

Also, don't forget breakfast food: 

cereal, various types

milk (2% to start, then find out their preference)

bagels

cream cheese

bread

peanut butter

jelly

breakfast casseroles in small portions

microwavable sausage

other things she might need with a sudden jump in family size: 

toilet paper

paper towel

paper plates

laundry detergent

feminine products (if any of the girls are teens)

A friend who has teens and does foster care says that several smaller portions (instead of one large portion) are better because with teens, they don't all sit down and eat at the same time. They all have different schedules. 

Also, if you're so inclined, you might want to go over, pick up the laundry, bring it home to wash, dry, fold and then take it back later in the day. 

ETA: You might want to find out what kinds of snack food she wants to have on hand - teens can eat quite a bit between meals out of necessity as they are growing and busy.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 2

Corn, zucchini, and chicken enchiladas with rice and beans

Pesto pasta salad: containers of pesto and diced chicken can be frozen separately and tossed with a pound or two of pasta when they are ready (and I always throw in thawed frozen peas and halved cherry tomatoes)

I keep a variety of homemade meatballs in the freezer (traditional Italian, pork + fennel, turkey/chicken with Asian spices) and I freeze sauce separately. Meatball subs or meatballs over rice feel more summer-y to me than spaghetti and.

Poppy Seed Chicken This is an all seasons casserole. Easy to make. My kids and their friends like it any time of year! Tip: Don't pulverize the crackers for the topping. Break them up into chunks, not crumbs. Tastes better and doesn't get soggy. I have made this many times to take to families in crisis. I've even made it in bulk to serve families at Ronald McDonald House. It's always a hit!  I usually add steamed sugar snap peas and a dessert. Maybe rolls. It's my teens favorite. I think it would freeze ok--as long as sour cream freezes ok--I've never tried it. If I were to try to freeze it, I would reserve the broken up cracker topping in a ziplock bag separate. It could be added just before baking.

Another tip: I cook boneless chicken breasts in the crockpot ahead of time. They are tender and never dried out. Also, I do heaping cups of chicken to make the casserole go a little further (teens eat a lot). Or better yet, double it and make two. Or three. Works well in those disposable aluminum baking pans.

ETA: just reread the OP. If you try this, definitely make more than one. Lots of teens to feed.

Edited by stephensgirls

Check and see if they have a deep freeze first, will they have room to freeze the meals?  Gift certificates for local take-out OR offers to bring over a full meal on certain mutually convenient dates might be better.  Or offer to take all the teens out for pizza (so the couple gets an evening to themselves).

• Like 2

I think breakfast food is a great idea. It would be devoured quickly.  A basket of muffins, individual boxes of cereal, bagels,  apples, bananas, etc.. She can put it on the counter after dinner so it can serve as late night snacks, too.

I would think for a family that size she will rely on a crockpot a bunch. If it is in your budget, can you give her another crockpot so she will have two? (look at thrift stores) Then you can give her crockpot meals. So easy. 

And thanks for being a great friend! The world needs more kind-hearted people like you.

Edited by lmrich

One thing I brought before that ended up being requested often was seven layer dip. I made a 9 x 13 and brought chips. Everyone in the family mentioned how they appreciated meals, but that the dip gave them something to sit on the table and casually eat while reminiscing. After that I started making it in several smaller dishes instead, and it went over well.

Poppy Seed Chicken This is an all seasons casserole. Easy to make. My kids and their friends like it any time of year! Tip: Don't pulverize the crackers for the topping. Break them up into chunks, not crumbs. Tastes better and doesn't get soggy. I have made this many times to take to families in crisis. I've even made it in bulk to serve families at Ronald McDonald House. It's always a hit!  I usually add steamed sugar snap peas and a dessert. Maybe rolls. It's my teens favorite. I think it would freeze ok--as long as sour cream freezes ok--I've never tried it. If I were to try to freeze it, I would reserve the broken up cracker topping in a ziplock bag separate. It could be added just before baking.

Another tip: I cook boneless chicken breasts in the crockpot ahead of time. They are tender and never dried out. Also, I do heaping cups of chicken to make the casserole go a little further (teens eat a lot). Or better yet, double it and make two. Or three. Works well in those disposable aluminum baking pans.

ETA: just reread the OP. If you try this, definitely make more than one. Lots of teens to feed.

I do a variation of this by adding cooked pasta and broccoli, dropping the cracker crumb topping, and dusting the top of the casserole with the poppy seeds. It's very popular around here as well.

My teen's favorite quick go-to is a frozen burrito. They could be made up and frozen on parchment paper on a cookie sheet then put into a big freezer bag once frozen, so they are easy to pull out one or two at a time. Sometimes she tops it with salsa and cheese, but sometimes just eats it plain.

Edited by KarenNC

I know this isn't the healthiest, but if I were the mother, I would appreciate food that I did not have to prepare or clean up after. So my vote would go to those variety pack of chips from Costco, plus assorted dips. Bottles of Snapple or Gatorade, since they don't need refrigeration.

Veggie platters, cut up fruit, if you want to be healthier.

I like the gift card idea too. Pizza place might be the most affordable?

Different marinated meats on kabobs? That might be more prep than you're looking for, but they're nice and summery because they're light and can be put on the grill or baked in the oven.

Sandwich fixings and accompaniments... pre-marinated chicken (can be frozen and cooked later)... a pot of barbecued beef and pulled pork plus rolls and salads... main dish salads such as pasta and chicken... boxes of frozen pizza (if they have the space).

You are a kind and caring friend.