Menu

News: 7 US Navy sailors missing after guided-missile destroyer crashes with merchant ship in the Pacific

Arcadia

Update:

"Number of USS Fitzgerald Sailors’ Remains Found

A number of Sailors’ remains that were missing from the collision between USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) and a merchant ship have been found." http://navylive.dodlive.mil/2017/06/17/uss-fitzgerald/#4

"Seven sailors are missing after the USS Fitzgerald, a guided-missile destroyer, collided with a Philippine-flagged merchant vessel about 56 nautical miles southwest of Yokosuka, Japan, according to a statement from the US Navy's 7th Fleet.

The US Navy also said that the ship suffered damage on starboard side, above and below the waterline, and that it had begun to take on water. The commanding officer was reportedly incapacitated and the executive officer is in command, according to Navy Times." http://www.businessinsider.com/uss-fitzgerald-crash-japanese-merchant-ship-2017-6

"PHILIPPINE SEA (NNS) -- USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) was involved in a collision with a merchant vessel at approximately 2:30 a.m. local time, June 17, while operating about 56 nautical miles southwest of Yokosuka, Japan.

As of this time, there have been two patients requiring medical evacuation. One was Cmdr. Bryce Benson, Fitzgerald's commanding officer, who was transferred to U.S. Naval Hospital Yokosuka and is reportedly in stable condition. A second MEDEVAC is in progress. Other injured are being assessed. There are seven Sailors unaccounted for; the ship and the Japanese Coast Guard continues to search for them." http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=101080

ETA:

"Three crew members, including the ship's captain, Commander Bryce Benson, were evacuated by helicopter to a US naval hospital in Yokosuka.

Commander Benson was in stable condition, while the other two injured had lacerations and bruises, with other injuries being assessed, the Navy said.

The Coast Guard dispatched five patrol ships and an aircraft carrying medics to the site for search and rescue operations.

The USS Dewey, medical assistance and two Navy tugs were also being dispatched as quickly as possible, the US Navy said. Naval aircraft were also being readied to help."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-06-17/us-navy-ship-collides-with-merchant-ship-off-japan/8627298

ETA:

For latest updates http://navylive.dodlive.mil/2017/06/17/uss-fitzgerald/

Edited by Arcadia in CA
  • Like 1

The second link says that the Commander was one of the injured and was evacuated. I hope they find the sailors soon. :-(

Oh, thanks. I don't know how I missed that part.

I hope they find the sailors, too.

That CO is going to lose his command, most likely. I hope he is not badly injured.

How to two ships that large not see each other in time to turn? Didn't they show on radar? Was one of them disabled? If it was, why didn't the other one see it in time to turn? I don't understand. Does anyone know about navigating ships? 

• Like 9

How to two ships that large not see each other in time to turn? Didn't they show on radar? Was one of them disabled? If it was, why didn't the other one see it in time to turn? I don't understand. Does anyone know about navigating ships?

This involved a destroyer and a cargo ship...imagine instead a motorcycle and an 18 wheeler.

The destroyer is faster, lighter, maneuvers easier, stops easier...In a normal situation, that destroyer never would have allowed itself to get rammed by a cargo ship.

Something (and/or some people) seriously went wrong.

• Like 2

This involved a destroyer and a cargo ship...imagine instead a motorcycle and an 18 wheeler.

The destroyer is faster, lighter, maneuvers easier, stops easier...In a normal situation, that destroyer never would have allowed itself to get rammed by a cargo ship.

Something (and/or some people) seriously went wrong.

Thank you, that imagery is helpful. I agree, something went terribly wrong. 

A miltrary vessel may not show up on a commercial vessel radar and I think the miltrary vessel is the one that has to try to avoid non-miltrary vessels but I am really rusty on maritime law.

NHK reported this

"A record aboard a Philippine container ship involved in a collision with a US destroyer shows that it took a sharp right turn southeast of the Izu Peninsula around 1:30 AM, about an hour before the collision.

The record shows that the merchant ship, the ACX Crystal, then navigated east for about 30 minutes before making a U-turn and doubling back into the waters where the collision took place." https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20170617_19/

ETA:

No updates yet on the missing :(

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Fingers crossed that the missing sailors are found alive. The accident was at approximately 230 A.M. local time?

I had the impression that the collision occurred at 2:30am Japan time. It is nighttime there now (GMT+9).

The latest update I could find

"Story Number: NNS170617-01Release Date: 6/17/2017 8:00:00 AM

From U.S. 7th Fleet Public Affairs

PHILIPPINE SEA (NNS) -- Search and rescue efforts continue by U.S. and Japanese aircraft and surface vessels in the hopes of recovering seven USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) Sailors.

While those efforts helped stabilize the flooding, it remains uncertain how long it will take to gain access to the spaces pier side in Yokosuka to methodically continue the search for the missing and to inspect the damage and develop a plan for repairs and inspection of the spaces.

Interested family should call DSN at: 315-243-1728, 1729, 1730, 1731, 1731, 1732, 1733, 1734, 1735 or Commercial at: +81-46-816-1728, 1729, 1730, 1731, 1731, 1732, 1733, 1734, 1735 "

http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=101088

• Like 1

Hardly. The container ship is three times the weight and a couple hundred meters longer though. BBC has a good article about it showing a size comparison if one wants to Google. I can't post a link easily right now.

Hardly. The container ship is three times the weight and a couple hundred meters longer though. BBC has a good article about it showing a size comparison if one wants to Google. I can't post a link easily right now.

Link for anyone interested (pic 4). The link has the route of the container ship in graphics (pic 1 &2) too and shows the minimal damage on the container ship (pic 3).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40310563

• Like 1

Link for anyone interested (pic 4). The link has the route of the container ship in graphics (pic 1 &2) too and shows the minimal damage on the container ship (pic 3).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40310563

Thanks! I thought it was a very good description of everything involved. BBC is my favorite source most of the time. I'm just on my phone right now and can't link easily.

Maybe don't cut off my post and take it as a whole.

You can't deny there is a vast size difference that leads to even a more drastic difference in maneuver ability.

The Fitz is about 150-ish m. long and weighs 8300-ish tons. The cargo ship is 230-ish meters and 29000 tons.

My point stands...in normal circumstances, smaller, faster light Fitz shouldn't have been rammed by bigger, slower, heavier cargo ship.

Maybe don't cut off my post and take it as a whole.

You can't deny there is a vast size difference that leads to even a more drastic difference in maneuver ability.

The Fitz is about 150-ish m. long and weighs 8300-ish tons. The cargo ship is 230-ish meters and 29000 tons.

My point stands...in normal circumstances, smaller, faster light Fitz shouldn't have been rammed by bigger, slower, heavier cargo ship.

I wasn't disagreeing with any of the rest. I just thought the comparison size you made was really off, so thought it was worth fixing.

ETA One could put several motorcycles in a truck. Not so with these two ships. It's one third longer and three times the weight. Still not an "accident" though - not with the known path of the cargo ship. That's why I'm thinking hijacking and sneak attack catching the Navy ship off guard.

Edited by creekland

There is a possibility the 7 Sailors are on the ship, in areas they do not have access to, because of the damage from the collision. They will get access to those areas ASAP. So, the 7 may be in the ocean or they may be trapped aboard the ship.  

• Like 1

There is a possibility the 7 Sailors are on the ship, in areas they do not have access to, because of the damage from the collision. They will get access to those areas ASAP. So, the 7 may be in the ocean or they may be trapped aboard the ship.  

I was wondering this as well.

Of course it was the middle of the night and the sailors who were not on watch would've been asleep. They may be injured and trapped. It's too horrible to imagine!

• Like 2

Just received another notice, they are not alive but sent to be identified.  I am sorry for the misinformation, I am just relaying news I am getting as I thought people here would like to know what is happening.  Different sources seem to have different information.  It is a horrid situation all around.  

Edited by rdj2027
  • Like 5

ABCNews is reporting them as dead :(

"A "number of sailors" that were missing following a collision between a U.S. Navy ship and a merchant ship have been found dead, the Navy's 7th Fleet said."

http://abcnews.go.com/International/us-navy-ship-collides-merchant-vessel-off-coast/story?id=48092522

The US 7th fleet webpage says

"YOKOSUKA, Japan -- A number of Sailors that were missing from the collision between USS Fitzgerald (DDG 62) and a merchant ship have been found. As search and rescue crews gained access to the spaces that were damaged during the collision this morning, the missing Sailors were located in the flooded berthing compartments. They are currently being transferred to Naval Hospital Yokosuka where they will be identified. The families are being notified and being provided the support they need during this difficult time. The names of the Sailors will be released after all notifications are made. "

http://www.c7f.navy.mil/Media/News/Display/Article/1217825/uss-fitzgerald-collision-update-1033am-jst-june-18-2017/

:grouphug:

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Just received another notice, they are not alive but sent to be identified. I am sorry for the misinformation, I am just relaying news I am getting as I thought people here would like to know what is happening. Different sources seem to have different information. It is a horrid situation all around.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Im sorry. Im sure the base is in shock. :crying:

• Like 1

One of the missing sailors family has asked for prayers

"CBS19 has confirmed one of the missing sailors is from Fluvanna County.

Dakota Rigsby volunteers for the Lake Monticello Volunteer Fire Department, and is a graduate of Fluvanna County High School.

His family declined to be interviewed, but is asking the community for their thoughts and prayers." http://www.newsplex.com/content/news/Missing-USS-Fitzgerald-sailor-has-ties-to-Fluvanna-County-429147863.html

Latest update this morning from US 7th fleet.

"Update (6:03pm JST June 18, 2017)

YOKOSUKA, Japan -- We are still conducting the notifications to the families to the status of their missing loved ones.

We have found the remains of a number of our missing shipmates and our deepest sympathies are with the families of these Sailors. Out of concern for the families and the notification process, we will decline to provide the total number of shipmates we have found. We hope you can respect this process.

We will however update you after all notifications have been made, so that the friends of the USS Fitzgerald can begin the healing process." http://www.c7f.navy.mil/Media/News/Display/Article/1217830/uss-fitzgerald-collision-update-603pm-jst-june-18-2017

:grouphug: to rdj2027 and all the people and their families at that base.