Menu

co-op schedules, a survey

co-op schedules  

43 members have voted

1. 1. How many weeks do your co-op session run?

• five or fewer
    • 11-15
    • greater than 15
    • our co-op does not have sessions
    • bacon

The co-ops I've been involved with ran for the entire school year with time off at Christmas, Thanksgiving, Spring break, etc. Some of the people in the co-ops had other children in the public schools, or had spouses with jobs related to the public schools. Most things in my town just follow the public school schedule. For instance, most children's activities have a weather cancellation policy that if public school calls a snow day, they will cancel as well. Co-ops have basically just followed along with the school district's schedule, though they may start and end a week or two earlier or later. And take more time off at Christmas. :)

• Like 1

Other

We've participated in two.

One had 10 week fall and spring sessions, with some high school classes requiring both semesters

Another had 32 weeks for K-8, and 9-12 with some high school classes with extra weeks before, after, or in December. Half-year classes for high school varied in weeks, the fall semester was shorter by a few weeks due to Christmas break

• Like 1

Also take into consideration whether your curricula is meant to be enrichment/supplement, or a full/complete program. If it is meant as enrichment, then it would be fairly easy to put in the amount of material for a full 15 weeks (and if a group has a 16th week, then can hold a party or wrap-up that day), and then have 1-page schedules for 10-week and 12-week co-ops by dropping out some of the material or showing which weeks or topics in the material to skip. In other words, you'll make more sales if you have a meaty-enough program to cover the longest co-ops, AND make it easy for the shorter co-ops to adapt to their shorter schedules. :)

In answer to your question about semester lengths:

In our area, I most commonly see two 12-week semesters, with an occasional co-op holding two 10-week semesters. Some classes are just 1 semester, some are year-long. Most of the classes are for enrichment, rather than meant as an outsourcing option. I run my high school courses as 16 week semesters, as they are full credit, not just enrichment.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

By a session do you mean a semester?

My kids do a tutorial. Not sure if that meets your criteria? I pay tuition and it is drop off.

Ds' is enrichment. Dd's for next year is academic. 

32 weeks a year, which is pretty standard for homeschool tutorials here. 

• Like 1

Also take into consideration whether your curricula is meant to be enrichment/supplement, or a full/complete program. If it is meant as enrichment, then it would be fairly easy to put in the amount of material for a full 15 weeks (and if a group has a 16th week, then can hold a party or wrap-up that day), and then have 1-page schedules for 10-week and 12-week co-ops by dropping out some of the material or showing which weeks or topics in the material to skip. In other words, you'll make more sales if you have a meaty-enough program to cover the longest co-ops, AND make it easy for the shorter co-ops to adapt to their shorter schedules. :)

In answer to your question about semester lengths:

In our area, I most commonly see two 12-week semesters, with an occasional co-op holding two 10-week semesters. Some classes are just 1 semester, some are year-long. Most of the classes are for enrichment, rather than meant as an outsourcing option. I run my high school courses as 16 week semesters, as they are full credit, not just enrichment.

My thought was to take my 10-week lesson plans and adapt them to the needs of common co-op models. I'd probably not even try to sell them, just offer them to other families who may benefit from it. Why reinvent the wheel if you don't need to?

By a session do you mean a semester?

My kids do a tutorial. Not sure if that meets your criteria? I pay tuition and it is drop off.

Ds' is enrichment. Dd's for next year is academic. 

32 weeks a year, which is pretty standard for homeschool tutorials here. 

Or quarter, or however your group divides its year (if it does). Our co-op is tied to the local university's quarter schedule, as many families have ties to the university, and so we tend to run trimesters rather than semesters.

Ours are paid things not co-ops but one does so many breaks it's hard to get a full academic load in- two semesters, three weeks at Christmas plus two one week breaks a each semester. 28 weeks

The other takes NO breaks except the entire montht of December and thanksgiving week. They also start late -September 1st but in this one We get SO much done!!! And it makes so much more sense because homeschool kids all travel and such at different times anyway, so they just comeplte their work via distance while they travel or whatever. I love this system and think it's so much better for the kids.

• Like 1

We have two semesters of 14 weeks each. I am not sure what you consider a "session."

Semester, trimester, quarter...I thought "session" might cover all the options, but it's vague enough wording to be unclear. Sorry!

• Like 1

I answer 10 since that is the basic number of weeks in one session of our co-op. We run two 10 week sessions a year but we also do something called high school extension.  For certain jr high or senior high classes (such as science labs) we have additional weeks that the classes meet.  Depending on the class it can be an additional 4-11 weeks for the year.