Menu

Most misspelled words by state

creekland

Has anyone posted about this yet? (Google's most misspelled words by state.)  

We got a chuckle that it's "sauerkraut" in PA!  I can envision someone making an advertisement for a community dinner or something and going, "Ok, Pork and... Darn, how do you spell that again???"  :lol:

I'll admit some words for those of you in other states leave me scratching my head saying, "Really?  That's the most misspelled word?  Why???"

http://www.businessinsider.com/most-misspelled-words-in-each-state-google-2017-5

• Like 2

Am I reading this right, Wisconsin's is Wisconsin?

We have pictures in our head with that one too.  "Hey ma?  Is it 'son, sen, sin?' Aw heck, I'm googling!"  Massive failure of elementary school education (or state history education) in that state I suspect...

It seems like the list is of words that people are unsure of how to spell rather than misspelling.  It comes from "the most common word preceded in Google searches by the phrase "how to spell."

I may have caused the problem in GA.  I can never remember which the British spelling and which is the American one ;-)

• Like 4

Georgia's is gray but there's two acceptable spelling for that word.  :huh:

I'm guessing they learn that when they google, but at least that one isn't unrealistic IMO.  They've seen it both ways and wonder which one is "correct."

Am I reading this right?  For my state it's supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  Is that even a real word?

We were wondering if there had been an essay competition or similar.  That seemed really out there if not.

• Like 2

Ok South Dakota, If you can't spell college, they may not let you into one.  :lol:

ETA: Dd would have fit in well in Hawaii apparently. The girl struggled with 'people' for the longest time. She still can't spell her way out of a box  :glare: .

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 2

Ok South Dakota, If you can't spell college, they may not let you into one.  :lol:

I guess this is why the smart ones looked it up before writing that essay?   :lol:

Otherwise, with Mississippi's "nanny," um, how else could that be spelled?  An 'ie' ending?  One 'n' instead of two?

I would have sworn Alabama's is "skittish," because I see it spelled "skiddish" with alarming frequency in the local facebook pages. :ack2:

Well... if they don't look it up on google, it doesn't get counted.  It could actually be the winner.

I guess this is why the smart ones looked it up before writing that essay? :lol:

Otherwise, with Mississippi's "nanny," um, how else could that be spelled? An 'ie' ending? One 'n' instead of two?

If I lived in Mississippi I might spell it nanni.

• Like 3

I was ready to cringe when I clicked the link (being from WV, you know we don't have the best educational reputation!), but I'm relieved to see it's the Mary-Poppins word that I don't even know how to spell.

Wisconsin is funny.  If I had to guess the state with residents who misspell its name most often, I'd say Mississippi, Illinois, Arkansas...

I was ready to cringe when I clicked the link (being from WV, you know we don't have the best educational reputation!), but I'm relieved to see it's the Mary-Poppins word that I don't even know how to spell.

Wisconsin is funny. If I had to guess the state with residents who misspell its name most often, I'd say Mississippi, Illinois, Arkansas...

Mississippi is easy to spell...M...I...crooked letter, crooked letter...I...crooked letter, crooked letter...I...humpback, humpback....I

• Like 4

I think this is a hoax.  I don't believe it.  For one thing, the most misspelled word in New Mexico is "bananas".  Really?  I don't buy it.  Second, how can they do a search for the most searched word unless the word is spelled correctly?  Third, I just don't believe that Google employees spend their days doing research like this.

I have no evidence, but I'm fairly certain this is fake.  

• Like 1

I am concerned that Maine, Washington,  Michigan, and Alabama's word is pneumonia. Seriously. It make me wonder how sick we Michiganders are that we need to use the word often enough to be the most misspelled. I want to join the ranks of the people who can't spell beautiful. These people must have it pretty good if they have to use that word so much that it made the top!

Edited by FaithManor

Georgia's is gray but there's two acceptable spelling for that word. :huh:

This is actually a list of most looked-up words for each state. So I bet in GA it's two people standing around, one insisting Grey is correct, the other that it's Gray, and looking it up to see who's right.

Wisconsin's being ... Wisconsin is baffling on so many levels!

This is actually a list of most looked-up words for each state. So I bet in GA it's two people standing around, one insisting Grey is correct, the other that it's Gray, and looking it up to see who's right.

Wisconsin's being ... Wisconsin is baffling on so many levels!

But if it's the most looked up word, then it means that people from Wisconsin look up info on their state a lot. And people in New Mexico want to know more about bananas. Edited by Jean in Newcastle

I think this is a hoax.  I don't believe it.  For one thing, the most misspelled word in New Mexico is "bananas".  Really?  I don't buy it.  Second, how can they do a search for the most searched word unless the word is spelled correctly?  Third, I just don't believe that Google employees spend their days doing research like this.

I have no evidence, but I'm fairly certain this is fake.  

Computer nerds/geeks I know love trivia like this... and it would be super easy to mine from their search engine.  Try misspelling a word and have google search for it.  Google fixes the word for you.  You don't need to spell it correctly.

Here's what I got when I typed in bannana [sic]:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bannana&oq=bannana&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.5083j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by creekland