Menu

Airport Security Question

fairfarmhand

My dd said to ask the hive because you guys know everything.

She's travelling this morning to Alaska and she's never flown before.

She's heard that women wearing an underwire bra may have to take it off at security and put it through the xray machine.

Any truth to this?

• Like 1

I've never had that happen to me (haven't ever heard of it happening to anyone, actually)  but I'm not going to declare that it's never happened.  The rules don't seem to be uniform. Like I nearly always take a sandwich and a banana through security and have never been questioned about it or asked to toss them. But others tell me they have been forced to throw the sandwich away because it had 'too much mayo' or something. 

But I think your dd will be fine.  It's unlikely that her bra is going to be an issue.   I suspect that if a woman is asked to remove a bra it's a case of some TSA agent who is using his authority to harass a woman. 

Edited by Annie G

Most of the women would get stuck if they did that. A more dangerous thing is that if there are nearby Lightning Strikes it can be fatal to a woman wearing one of those. Some years ago 2 women in a park in London were killed because they were wearing those? Tell your DD to be prepared to take her shoes off and to enjoy AK

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

somebody's having fun at her expense.

I've always worn an underwire  and never set off the alarm.  not even my metal hair thingamajobs set it off.

that's a complete fabrication.

IF (and that's a big if) the wire were to set off the main scanner, they have a handheld device.

• Like 2

The only people who get their bras checked were suspected drug smugglers on international flights/ferries. There are usually tip offs about drug smuggling. (ETA: I meant it wasn't random)

If any metal in clothing trigger off the alarm, they use a hand scanner. Usually it is coins or belts or shoes that trigger. One of my optical glasses has beeped the scanner a few times. Wasn't an issue as I just sent the pair of glass through the X-ray machine.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

The only people who get their bras checked were suspected drug smugglers on international flights/ferries. There are usually tip offs about drug smuggling.

If any metal in clothing trigger off the alarm, they use a hand scanner. Usually it is coins or belts or shoes that trigger. One of my optical glasses has beeped the scanner a few times. Wasn't an issue as I just sent the pair of glass through the X-ray machine.

I have been felt up more than once behind my underwire, generally on domestic flights. I can assure you that I am not, nor have I ever been, suspected of being a drug smuggler and I have never even been wanded on an international flight.

• Like 1

I have been felt up more than once behind my underwire, generally on domestic flights. I can assure you that I am not, nor have I ever been, suspected of being a drug smuggler and I have never even been wanded on an international flight.

I meant literally asked to strip down because of drug smuggling tips.

News like this link "Agents say women smuggled cocaine in bras, girdles while on cruise ship", was common when I was growing up in Asia. http://www.wftv.com/news/local/agents-say-women-smuggled-cocaine-in-bras-girdles-while-on-cruise-ship/359352443