Menu

Update--Graduation gift for your own kid...

HeWillSoar

We don't do anything specifically for a graduation present, but we pour ourselves into helping our newly minted college student(s) that year get ready for school. That includes helping them obtain technology, clothing, shoes, linens, textbooks, etc., often by scouring yard sales, thrift stores, and ebay long before. We also hand-hold them through at least the first two semesters of class selection and help them move in.

We try to give college essentials for birthdays and Christmas gifts in the junior and senior years of high school to spread out the expense.

My parents did this for me throughout high school and college. When I moved in to my first apartment I had a full set of dishes, flatware, glasses, and a vacuum cleaner. I didn't appreciate them fully when I got them (I got other smaller gifts too that I cared more about at the time), but I sure did appreciate them later! In fact, we have 2 small plate and 3-4 bowls from that original set of dishes and that was decades ago!

We've done the same thing for dd, but she appreciated them immediately. She's more mature than I was am. 

• Like 2

We did fun gifts like an outdoor lounge chair and a stack of gift cards to all the different movie theatres.

We give other stuff as needed, like the things you need when you move out, laptops, etc.

We also had grad parties, which in our family/extended family is a standard thing and not really seen as a gift, per se.

For HS grad, we gave a trip - plane tickets, tickets to shows while in the city, and some spending money.

Our goal was to foster independence. I like travel goodies for that. A passport is a great idea!

If we hadn't done that, a nice laptop for school would have been the next choice.

Personally, I'd save the suit for a Xmas or bday gift.

For college grad, we gave memberships to several professional organizations that would help with job hunting, and an iPad because the internship he started required quite a bit of commuting on metro.we might have thrown in some cash, too, I really can't recall.

• Like 2

That is funny! And it sounds really nice. I've been wondering what to do for my boys - I want to do something similar, but somehow I can't see them wearing necklaces. Maybe an ID bracelet. 

Well, he wore it for about a week. 

Ha.

HE was the one who suggested it, too.

That said, he is going through all his stuff to make his room more "adult" and I notice that he put that in his Treasures box.  Unlike the piggy bank I made for him with my own hands.  :::woe is me:::

We gave our daughter a lap desk as a high school graduation gift.  She took it to college and has since taken it to South Korea where she now lives and works.  Here are a few examples ~  one  two  three

I received a dictionary from my parents when I graduated from high school.  I've given this book to several college bound graduates ~  Rodale's The Synonym Finder.  It's available in both paperback and hardback.

The only other gift I remember receiving was from the family with whom I lived senior year.  They gave me a homemade heavyweight denim laundry bag as well as some other useful items.  I used that bag through college and graduate school and still have it.  Now we use it when we go camping.

This commemorative box from Levenger's appeals to me. "Our solid wood keepsake box conveys your congratulatory message and keeps treasured mementos safe—of course, it also makes an attractive and distinctive jewelry box. We can engrave quotations, personal messages, a monogram or a logo inside and out on the lid of this sturdy wooden box. A monogram, name or personal message can be engraved on both the outside and inside of the lid (up to 30 characters for a name; 55 for a personal message or quotation)." Does your child have a favorite quote, saying, verse? Do you?

Regards,

Kareni

Has anyone given a graduation ring, or have those fallen out of fashion? I was thinking of giving my boys ones for college graduation.

Edited by Kinsa

Has anyone given a graduation ring, or have those fallen out of fashion? I was thinking of giving my boys ones for college graduation.

The only college ring I've ever noticed people wearing and caring about are from St. F X (Francis Xavier) in Nova Scotia, Canada. The ring is gold with a black X on it. It's distinctive and the school is well-loved by its grads.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoever said to ask him what he wants, that was a great idea!  I asked him and he wants a new radio for his car that has a screen that can do GPS.  I thought I might surprise him with something but now he will get what he really wants. 

Thank you to all for weighing in.  It was fun to hear all the different ideas, and I bet it will help others as well. 

Edited by HeWillSoar
  • Like 1

Since our kids have never attended a college that provides laptops, but it is extremely difficult for students who do not have computer access in their rooms, we have always purchased laptops with a good computer bag, and a rolling cart.

All three so far have been expected to have their own computers. The profs communicate primarily by email, and post assignments online. The computer lab can represent hours of waiting for a computer to be free in order to complete assignments, and see communication. So we are glad we provided them.

• Like 1

Since our kids have never attended a college that provides laptops, but it is extremely difficult for students who do not have computer access in their rooms, we have always purchased laptops with a good computer bag, and a rolling cart.

All three so far have been expected to have their own computers. The profs communicate primarily by email, and post assignments online. The computer lab can represent hours of waiting for a computer to be free in order to complete assignments, and see communication. So we are glad we provided them.

there are colleges that provide laptops? 

computers/laptops were just one of those necessary school supplies.

and a cheap printer.   there are lines in the print center too.      

laptops have the advantage of being able to be used when the power goes out.  as 1ds got to deal with the other day while he was trying to do his homework.  by candlelight.  (dynamics/math?  so - handwork)

so- one of those battery powered lanterns.  colleges don't allow candles - and they don't put out much light anyway.

We gave them each luggage. Ds also got an iPad which he uses for taking notes in classes. Dd got a new iPhone. Her first as she has always had hand-me-downs. They both already had laptops, although they are getting old and slow and will probably barely get them through college. 

Yes! It looks nothing like a traditional class ring and is really classy. Our graduate loves it and will wear it forever. 

D will be getting luggage from us as her high school graduation present. She needs sturdy yet lightweight stuff for the overseas travel beginning with this year! (For those who don't read the college board, she'll be taking a gap year to study in Taiwan via Rotary :) )

College graduation--a car. We gave ds our 10yo Corolla. We're looking for something similar for older d for <$4K.

What is Rotary?  I remember there being some place that does years abroad for really cheap.  Like 5k for the year.

No graduate yet, but I bet we will give our kids a trip.  It might be with the family so that I get the gift too.   Maybe let them pick the destination?   Kids already have passports.  Only 6 more years to this.  But that is my plan. 

My parents actually got me some luggage for my high school graduation. I still have it. It is in great shape. It is excellent luggage. I love it. I take it on almost every trip, and if I don't, it is because we are combining bags and the size just doesn't work for that trip. 

So, I think luggage is a great gift. So very practical and will be useful for a long time.

I think a suit is a great gift too, if you think he is done growing. You never know when you might need to dress up. I recently encouraged my youngest to dress up (girl, so no suit, but nice professional skirt/blouse/dress shoes combo) for her dual credit final presentation (final exam was the presentation) for her English class. One other student dressed up (suit). The students we talked with later said the dressing up was a great idea. It made the better dressed students' presentations stand out, it was obvious the teacher approved, so I think it was worth the effort. 

• Like 1