Menu

AP Exam Stress!

Remember if she is sick tomorrow, she can make up APUSH on the make up date. Just be sure to let the AP coordinator know as soon as you make the decision.

DD woke up with a worse sore throat (after making it through her AP Studio Art work day. I called the coordinator and found out that, in order for her to be alllowed to take a make up exam)  dd has to have a note from a doctor (which would not be a problem ... we could go to one of the many urgent care places here.)  After some Throat Coat tea and some breakfast, she decided that she could take the test.  She was supposed to drive herself today because I have a vet appointment for the dog when she is  supposed to be done, but she didn't feel up to that (clue?  Don't take the test!)  So, dh, who usually drops her off at school on the way to work is taking her to the testing location and will be able to pick her up during his lunch hour.  Prayers and good thoughts for her, if you can! 

ETA:  Oh, and good luck to everyone taking exams today.  Dd's is APUSH. 

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
  • Like 7

A friend told me that her high school had a bomb threat yesterday.  The students were evacuated and bused to a nearby venue while multiple police forces from the surrounding areas were helping the local police search the school.  I feel horrible for the kids who were in the midst of an AP exam and had to leave the building.  I hope there aren't any copy cat incidents next week

• Like 1

DD woke up with a worse sore throat (after making it through her AP Studio Art work day. I called the coordinator and found out that, in order for her to be alllowed to take a make up exam)  dd has to have a note from a doctor (which would not be a problem ... we could go to one of the many urgent care places here.)  After some Throat Coat tea and some breakfast, she decided that she could take the test.  She was supposed to drive herself today because I have a vet appointment for the dog when she is  supposed to be done, but she didn't feel up to that (clue?  Don't take the test!)  So, dh, who usually drops her off at school on the way to work is taking her to the testing location and will be able to pick her up during his lunch hour.  Prayers and good thoughts for her, if you can! 

I hope your dd makes it through, sounds like a rough day.

My younger ds is also taking APUSH today. He's taking the US history SAT subject tomorrow so he's not done with the history yet!

• Like 2

I need to add how happy I am for my older ds who is taking AP biology next week. He has really disliked the class, and particularly disliked the public school teacher. She has given them some wrong information, explained things badly, and just not done a great job overall in my opinion. The good news is that she's going to be gone for three of the weeks post-AP, and the substitute is an absolutely wonderful guy. I'm sure the class will have a great time and may learn some cool stuff. I'm honestly surprised that they hired him, since he hasn't even graduated from college yet.

• Like 4

I hope your dd makes it through, sounds like a rough day.

My younger ds is also taking APUSH today. He's taking the US history SAT subject tomorrow so he's not done with the history yet!

Did your ds study extra or specifically for the USH Sat test - or just for the AP - and then take the SAT II as well? I'm thinking of this for next year. Thanks!

Good luck testers! We're out until next Friday - so 1 week to study!!! 2 down, 1 to go.

• Like 3

Did your ds study extra or specifically for the USH Sat test - or just for the AP - and then take the SAT II as well? I'm thinking of this for next year. Thanks!

Good luck testers! We're out until next Friday - so 1 week to study!!! 2 down, 1 to go.

My ds has not studied extra for the US history SAT subject test. I'm not at all confident in this plan, and I wish he would have taken it more seriously. He's only a sophomore though and has time to take more SAT subject tests as needed.

I will add that my older ds took APUSH 2 years ago, and also took the SAT subject test without extra prep. He's a serious history kid though and got an 800 without stress. I fear that younger brother saw that and interpreted it to mean that the SAT subject test was easy.

• Like 2

My ds has not studied extra for the US history SAT subject test. I'm not at all confident in this plan, and I wish he would have taken it more seriously. He's only a sophomore though and has time to take more SAT subject tests as needed.

I will add that my older ds took APUSH 2 years ago, and also took the SAT subject test without extra prep. He's a serious history kid though and got an 800 without stress. I fear that younger brother saw that and interpreted it to mean that the SAT subject test was easy.

you'll have to keep me posted how he does - so i'll know going into next year whether to go for ush sat II or not. ;-) much luck to your ds on both exams!

• Like 1

We just got back from a quick run through to make sure we knew where we going so my daughter wouldn't be stressed about that on Friday. I'm so glad we did. We ended up wandering a bit and walking way more than we needed to trying to find the main entrance. Then we got inside and the office lady was so nice and so reassuring and understanding. It really helped alleviate some nervousness.

• Like 4

So sorry to hear this - I hope all goes well for her today!  As well as all the other kiddos! :)

We just got back from a quick run through to make sure we knew where we going so my daughter wouldn't be stressed about that on Friday. I'm so glad we did. We ended up wandering a bit and walking way more than we needed to trying to find the main entrance. Then we got inside and the office lady was so nice and so reassuring and understanding. It really helped alleviate some nervousness.

That is a great idea! 

• Like 1

we did a run through too for both locations :)

• Like 2

you'll have to keep me posted how he does - so i'll know going into next year whether to go for ush sat II or not. ;-) much luck to your ds on both exams!

Thanks, I'll try to remember to post how he does.

DD woke up with a worse sore throat (after making it through her AP Studio Art work day. I called the coordinator and found out that, in order for her to be alllowed to take a make up exam) dd has to have a note from a doctor (which would not be a problem ... we could go to one of the many urgent care places here.) After some Throat Coat tea and some breakfast, she decided that she could take the test. She was supposed to drive herself today because I have a vet appointment for the dog when she is supposed to be done, but she didn't feel up to that (clue? Don't take the test!) So, dh, who usually drops her off at school on the way to work is taking her to the testing location and will be able to pick her up during his lunch hour. Prayers and good thoughts for her, if you can!

ETA: Oh, and good luck to everyone taking exams today. Dd's is APUSH.

I hope it went well. So sorry she is still so sick. I hope it goes away soon.

• Like 1

DD is in APUSH as we speak. Hope all goes well with everyone today!! :)

Yes, I hope everyone was ok today. We almost signed up for PAH APUSH last fall. I am really glad we chose not to. I am very sure the kid would have gone on strike this week after the AP Lit experience. 😆

• Like 1

A friend told me that her high school had a bomb threat yesterday. The students were evacuated and bused to a nearby venue while multiple police forces from the surrounding areas were helping the local police search the school. I feel horrible for the kids who were in the midst of an AP exam and had to leave the building. I hope there aren't any copy cat incidents next week

That is AWFUL! What on earth? Poor kids! Now they all have to retest? Eta: crazy as it is I am still glad it was only a threat.

Edited by quark
  • Like 2

That is AWFUL! What on earth? Poor kids! Now they all have to retest? Eta: crazy as it is I am still glad it was only a threat.

Rumor has it that a student didn't feel like going to a mandatory band recital that night and figured a threat would be a good way to not have to go. :banghead:

• Like 1

Yes, I hope everyone was ok today. We almost signed up for PAH APUSH last fall. I am really glad we chose not to. I am very sure the kid would have gone on strike this week after the AP Lit experience. 😆

Aww, darn!  DD would have gotten to be in class with your son!  She took it through them since we had way too much going on here to do it together.

• Like 2

DS got sick on Thursday (stress??)

took APUSH today a little under the weather - he thought it was harder than the practice tests

2 left next week

Oh no, another sick child! Sending wishes for a quick recovery Mark.

Mine told me the same thing about both AP Chem and AP Lit. Said they were harder than the practice tests (and PAH assigned so many too).

• Like 1

DS got sick on Thursday (stress??)

took APUSH today a little under the weather - he thought it was harder than the practice tests

2 left next week

I heard APUSH was tough, too. I heard Gov was easy and hard from different kids.

• Like 2

Kid thought he knocked the multiple choice section out of the park.  Had a couple of spacey moments on the short answer, and the DBQ threw him (and apparently others) through a loop.  Everyone in his test section answered the same question. APUSH.  On the whole, he's happy with how he performed.  Today is the SAT.  3 more APs next week.  

• Like 2

Kid thought he knocked the multiple choice section out of the park.  Had a couple of spacey moments on the short answer, and the DBQ threw him (and apparently others) through a loop.  Everyone in his test section answered the same question. APUSH.  On the whole, he's happy with how he performed.  Today is the SAT.  3 more APs next week.  

Everyone in DD's room chose the same LEQ too, except for one student.  She found out because someone had lost their sticker to designate which essay they had chosen, so the proctor asked if anyone had a spare.  Only one student had the correct one left because literally everyone else had chosen to write on the other option.  She thought it was hilarious.

• Like 3

I heard Gov was easy and hard from different kids.

After all the AP tests she has taken, DD thought Gov was the easiest test she's taken.  I won't go into our whirlwind studies, but suffice it to say, the long-winded text got tossed early on.  She took a few practice tests here along with reviewing an older text and found most of the questions common political literacy type.  However, she is very engaged in politics, current political events and trends. I think that carries students well in AP Gov testing along with reviewing landmark case law. 

• Like 3

Something like this cheat sheet

http://web.mit.edu/asf/www/Images/CheatSheetScans/PHYS7A_1.jpg

There is a book called The manga guide to physics. Maybe your son can author an anime book for AP Physics :)

https://www.amazon.com/Manga-Guide-Physics-Hideo-Nitta/dp/1593271964

He's really enjoying the Manga Guide to Physics.  Apparently it's written by someone who is Japanese, which makes it a "legit" Manga in his book.  It'll be good review for the final.

• Like 2

Dd felt her APUSH exam went well with school #1 on Friday, and I just returned from dropping her off at school #2 for Bio.  Just a few minutes after leaving her at the school I got a text from her saying that they didn't have enough materials for her.  I went into the school and they had me sit in the office.  After sitting there for awhile and getting no more texts from dd I asked the secretaries if they'd found materials for her.  It turned out that the person who walked her to her room brought her to the wrong AP Bio room and the other room had her materials.  Whew!  Crisis averted!

Hoping dd keeps her mojo for the exam.  It's her least favorite of the four.  Two more to go.....

Sending good wishes to all our kids who are testing this week!

• Like 4

Dd felt her APUSH exam went well with school #1 on Friday, and I just returned from dropping her off at school #2 for Bio.  Just a few minutes after leaving her at the school I got a text from her saying that they didn't have enough materials for her.  I went into the school and they had me sit in the office.  After sitting there for awhile and getting no more texts from dd I asked the secretaries if they'd found materials for her.  It turned out that the person who walked her to her room brought her to the wrong AP Bio room and the other room had her materials.  Whew!  Crisis averted!

Hoping dd keeps her mojo for the exam.  It's her least favorite of the four.  Two more to go.....

Sending good wishes to all our kids who are testing this week!

That's sounds very stressful for your dd. I hope the test goes ok for her! My older ds is also taking the bio now. It's his least favorite of the three he is taking.

• Like 5

:svengo:   So glad everything was OK! I hope she was able to keep calm and carry on! 

• Like 3

PROCTOR (obviously reading from AP exam script): Good morning, class!  

(Looks up at the class.)

CLASS (looking back in silence):  ??

CLASS (realizing they are to respond): Good morning!  

We are a test-taking family.  (I'm seriously considering taking the SAT again...just for fun!)  Plus, our local high school has been super friendly to us, probably because they already accommodate testing for off campus students who are enrolled in an alternative high school program.  So these past couple of weeks have been a nice way to recap the learning of the year.  We've had some good laughs reading the reddit post-exam discussions. (I'm so jealous we didn't have then internet when I was in high school!)  And the school provides strawberries, oranges, and muffins at break!  

• Like 5

Dd took her first AP exam today (Music Theory). She had never taken a test somewhere other than home and was more than a little nervous last night and this morning driving to the school. Not only was she nervous about taking the test itself, she was also nervous about not knowing what the entire experience would be like. 

I knew she would be okay when the guidance counselor came to the office to meet her. He was so friendly and upbeat. I watched her nervousness leave as she shook his hand and introduced herself.

When I went to pick her up after, she said there was only one other girl taking the same exam and their proctor was the school's music teacher. Dd performs music regularly and is fairly well known among people who know her genre of music but most people don't know about her genre (we didn't know anything about it until she became interested in it). She said while they were waiting for the other student to show up, the music teacher was making conversation and asked what she played. When she told him, he knew exactly who she was (said he had read a recent article about her in a local publication) and asked if she would be willing to come do a program for the students at the school. (Not sure how often one gets a gig out of doing an AP exam. LOL)  

She felt very positive about the test and her whole experience but is very glad it is over.

• Like 15

Hope the weekend included study, rest, and a little (or a lot ;) ) of fun for everyone.

We were at Barnes & Noble on Saturday afternoon and Sunday evening. We have been at the library since 11am and kids still don't want to walk home. We'll probably leave the library when it close at 8pm.

DS12 is taking his second and last exam tomorrow (thank goodness) and my husband is doing the driving. I am so sleepy right now. I have already told my husband to budget in test prep cram classes money next year :lol:

My husband is probably one of the most relaxed parent of kids taking exams and his boss is probably amused by why he has to clear annual leave to drive our kids. His boss knows I don't drive. My husband's colleague is using Uber for her high school kids AP exams chauffeuring.

ETA:

AoPS forum has a few threads on AP exams that were quite entertaining. Older boy is reading the AP Calculus thread.

ETA:

His TI84's battery is flat. Oh well, have to charge it up overnight. Probably charge DS11's TI84 as well. DS11 misplaced the scientific calculators :P

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 5

Did you all know that a teacher certified to teach a subject cannot give an AP test in that subject? For example, a social studies teacher cannot give any of the history, human geography, Econ, or government exams? Any math teacher cannot give the calculus or stats exam, even if they only teach algebra 1. A music teacher cannot give the music theory exam.

Last AP Exam today for dd....ever. AP Calculus BC and then she's done. This is the one she wants to knock out of the ballpark. Fingers crossed!

Older boy is taking the same exam but he is still asleep as it is 6:20am PST here.

Good luck to your daughter.

• Like 6

Last AP Exam today for dd....ever.  AP Calculus BC and then she's done.  This is the one she wants to knock out of the ballpark.  Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed for her! Older ds will have his last test on Thursday (statistics).

• Like 3

We were nearly late. Arrived at 7:57am. My husband was dawdling as usual in getting out of the door :lol:

Oh, my goodness, Arcadia!! After our experience, I had this momentary, reflexive panicked feeling for you when I glimpsed the words "nearly late"!  SO glad you made it!!

My dd has her exam tomorrow, at the same place as my sons were supposed to have theirs last week. Needless to say, we will be there before the school's 7:15 am start time for the exam!!! 

Best thoughts for your son this morning!!

• Like 4

Oh, my goodness, Arcadia!! After our experience, I had this momentary, reflexive panicked feeling for you when I glimpsed the words "nearly late"! SO glad you made it!!

They called me at 7:55am to "nag". There was only 4 kids in the exam room and two cheerful proctors. Not bad a ratio :)

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 4

Ds just got back home from his last AP exam.  He was one of only a handful of kids who didn't get the memo to bring a blanket and pillow.  Before the exam started, my son asked what was up with the pillows.  He was told that the teacher is horrible and actually announced to the class that no one in her class has ever received any score higher than a 2.  (This teacher has been at the school at least 8 years.)

And people in my neighborhood have never been able to understand why I homeschool when we live in such as awesome district.  

• Like 3

Ds just got back home from his last AP exam.  He was one of only a handful of kids who didn't get the memo to bring a blanket and pillow.  Before the exam started, my son asked what was up with the pillows.  He was told that the teacher is horrible and actually announced to the class that no one in her class has ever received any score higher than a 2.  (This teacher has been at the school at least 8 years.)

And people in my neighborhood have never been able to understand why I homeschool when we live in such as awesome district.  

Why on earth would a teacher say this and not think that it reflected at least in part on the quality of their teaching?

Ugh.

• Like 7

Everytime I see this thread at the top of the board I get a little panicy feeling that we've missed an exam.  Every. Single. Time.

Economics exams are Wed and Friday.  Last AP exams for this kid.  College doesn't give credit for the exam (their credit policy is pretty limited), but I'm making him take it anyway.  'Cause that is just how I roll.

• Like 7

Why on earth would a teacher say this and not think that it reflected at least in part on the quality of their teaching?

Ugh.

I thought the same thing.  I would be mortified if I were her and would have figured out what I needed to do to rectify the situation.  These students are really being short-changed and deserve better.

• Like 5

Older boy was happy coming out of the exam room at noon. He ate lunch in the car. Now he is at the library happily reading while waiting for their (he and younger boy) weekly Chinese tuition later there. We'll go somewhere (probably IKEA cafe) for tea later.

He was told that the teacher is horrible and actually announced to the class that no one in her class has ever received any score higher than a 2. (This teacher has been at the school at least 8 years.)

Good grief :( It makes me thankful for all the helpful public elementary school teachers my kids had. Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3