Menu

AP Exam Stress!

APs start next week...  ACK!! how is prep going? How are your dc holding up?

We're taking 3! Our first foray into APs, 9th grade. We've got tests Tuesday, Thursday and then again the following Friday. I can't wait for these 2 weeks to be over!!!!

*ETA - I saw an old thread called "AP Freakout" - and it was fun to read. I thought it great to start a new one for 2017 APs. Let's commiserate & cheer each other on!

Edited by mirabillis
  • Like 2

My kids are taking for fun as my husband wants them to try and don't care if they flunk. So very relax here. Oldest is taking two while youngest is taking one. Their scores would already be archived by the time they apply for college.

My husband is clearing annual leave to do the driving kids to and from the test venue. I don't drive and he was the one who wanted kids to try AP exams for fun. My kids have taken SAT and ACT so they kind of know the drill of showing ID (their passports) and having an approved calculator as well as bubbling their names and homeschool code.

So we get to go on a date while kids enjoy the computer science exam :) Then we will probably go somewhere nice for a slow lunch.

After the APs, my oldest has sat subject tests so we won't be celebrating until after the June 3rd exam.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

Dd is definitely stressed.  She has AP Physics 1 (and Math  is not her strongest subject), APUSH, and AP  Studio Art.  Out of all of them, she is most confident about Art.  Her portfolio is amazing.  But, she has 2 pieces to finish by next Thursday.  She has her Physics final tomorrow and Thursday as prep for the AP exam.  She was so burned out that she just played with our dog and went to bed early.  For APUSH, she knows the material, but she is not a fast worker, which will not be in her favor for the FRQs and the DBQs. 

BTW, these are at the high school that she attends part-time.  I think these last few weeks has been a deciding factor in her deciding against one of the AP classes she was considering for next year.  She is signed up for 4, but may end up with 2. 

• Like 2

My dd is nervous about taking her first 2 AP exams this year. She's doing her first SAT subject test as well. But, she is lucky, because the classes she's taken have prepared her well for the exams, so she feels ready without having to cram in a ton of test prep at the end. These last couple of weeks of class have actually been much lighter and 3 of her online classes are ending this week. We both feel she's ready and that if she doesn't do well, it will because she freezes up on the day of the exam and there's not much we can do about that. Though, now that I think of it, maybe I'll try to get her to start meditating with me 10 minutes a day. 🙂

• Like 2

My kids always seem to handle this time of year much better than I do. I am the one having freak-out moments after reviewing their FRQ's and the one looking for the kids on CC to explain how to circumvent the CB's AP release schedule so I can get the scores as soon as possible rather than waiting the few extra days until it is my state's turn to view scores.

I have mentioned this before, but I am really looking forward to the time when I see "AP" and again think "Associated Press" instead of "Advanced Placement."

• Like 5

Ds is feeling pretty good about English Language--although he's doing more essay practice as he tends to get overwhelmed at the beginning of a new essay.

He's not feeling too great about Physics I, but he isn't putting in tons of extra time studying, either.  Not much I can do about that.  Maybe he'll pull a 3. . . .

However, we do APs so he has challenge and a bar to work for. If he gets credit or they help in admissions, that's a bonus.

• Like 4

Dd is really well prepared but is still feeling the stress.  She has four exams this year followed by SAT subject tests.  We came up with a review schedule for the APs, and I think she's feeling a bit more confident.  Doing well on the practice exams is helping, but I think she just can't wait for them to be over :)

• Like 3

However, we do APs so he has challenge and a bar to work for. If he gets credit or they help in admissions, that's a bonus.

This is our approach as well. Our goal has already been met for AP classes this year. She's enjoyed her classes and has learned so much. Everything from here on out is just bonus. 

Is there stress? Yes. Keeping everything in perspective helps.

• Like 9

After the APs, my oldest has sat subject tests so we won't be celebrating until after the June 3rd exam.

Mid-June for celebrating here...

APs (May), SAT Subject Tests (May & June), and ACT (June)

ETA: Finals in May as well. 

I wasn't stressed until I typed it all out.  :svengo:

;)

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy
  • Like 7

Mid-June for celebrating here...

APs (May), SAT Subject Tests (May & June), and ACT (June)

Good luck to your daughter for all her exams and tests!!!

Even my workaholic older isn't interested in retaking the ACT anytime soon. He would be off to summer camp in mid June.

My kids are going for the AP test taking experience but if my older does sufficiently well, we'll look at dual enrollment possibilities.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

Good luck to your daughter for all her exams and tests!!!

Thanks!

Even my workaholic older isn't interested in retaking the ACT anytime soon. He would be off to summer camp in mid June.

Camp is in July for her.   ;)

My kids are going for the AP test taking experience but if my older does sufficiently well, we'll look at dual enrollment possibilities.

Good luck to them both!

• Like 1

This is our approach as well. Our goal has already been met for AP classes this year. She's enjoyed her classes and has learned so much. Everything from here on out is just bonus. 

Is there stress? Yes. Keeping everything in perspective helps.

I like this.  I've been telling my dd that you never know where something will lead and that, while getting top scores on her AP exams seems important to her now, it will be okay if it doesn't happen.  Something good might even come of getting a lower score.  She might wind up taking a class in college that she never would have taken if she tested out with an AP score and being inspired by a fabulous teacher or meet someone there that becomes a close friend (or husband, as I like to tease her, lol).  

• Like 4

I have one relatively unstressed (taking 4 -- I'm wishing he was more stressed), and one freaking out (taking 2, but needs to chill).  Based upon all practice tests, we're looking at 3-5's on all of them.  Fortunately, DS's best score is on the one in just over a week.  Unfortunately, getting him to focus on the one he has a 3 on is like pulling teeth (dd has a 4 or 5 on that same test).

• Like 2

My dc are each taking three. Older ds is relatively unstressed and is taking statistics, biology, and English literature. He already has a college plan. If he does well, he'll get more credits, but he doesn't really *need* them, so he'll be ok no matter what happens.

Younger ds is taking chemistry, English language, and US history. He's way more stressed than his brother. I'm way more stressed about him too. His scores matter for college applications, and he isn't necessarily well prepared. He's also very sensitive on the subject and reminders about studying tend to induce break downs. His online chemistry class in particular wasn't great, and in hindsight we probably could have done a better job without the class.

• Like 1

I like this. I've been telling my dd that you never know where something will lead and that, while getting top scores on her AP exams seems important to her now, it will be okay if it doesn't happen. Something good might even come of getting a lower score. She might wind up taking a class in college that she never would have taken if she tested out with an AP score and being inspired by a fabulous teacher or meet someone there that becomes a close friend (or husband, as I like to tease her, lol).

This happened to my son. He only got a 3 on the Latin exam, which meant he did not test out of the college foreign language requirement. He loved his college Latin class so much that he ended up taking more classes with that professor. Which led to him getting a minor in Classics.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Like 9

I am the one having freak-out moments after reviewing their FRQ's and the one looking for the kids on CC to explain how to circumvent the CB's AP release schedule so I can get the scores as soon as possible rather than waiting the few extra days until it is my state's turn to view scores.

After trying to grade the first set of computer science FRQs, I am thinking of paying someone to grade my oldest child's calculus FRQs. It is like grading geometry proofs, why can't my kids make my life easier by giving answers similar to provided solutions :P

He's also very sensitive on the subject and reminders about studying tend to induce break downs.

Ice-cream and madeleines are what I bribe my "grouchy bear" with. Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

Not too much stress here.  Since dd is graduating, she is only taking the exams for the classes which will earn her college credit.  So, at her university, AP Lit will do her nothing as she already has AP Lang, and AP Gov will give her nothing.  She is double majoring, so she they won't even help as electives as she will already have all she needs from one major to the other.  

She will be required to take three quarters of Calculus and thinks she wants to retake calculus at college (she took AB so it only would have given credit for one of the three classes)  So, she is down to two APs!  It is a pretty low stress year for us - lower number of APs plus no ACT or SAT or SATII!  It is kinda weird.

Good luck to all of your kids! I'm sure they are so well prepared that they will do well!

• Like 2

After trying to grade the first set of computer science FRQs, I am thinking of paying someone to grade my oldest child's calculus FRQs. It is like grading geometry proofs, why can't my kids make my life easier by giving answers similar to provided solutions :p

I have to leave all the Comp Sci FRQ grading to my son. It looks like gobbly-gook to me. I feel he's learning well following the rubric guidelines. He's scoring his own APGovt & APHUG FRQs as well. I think it is helping him learn even more. Well, here's hoping.

• Like 1

Has everyone checked to make sure IDs are current?

My kids' passports expire in 2020 :) The proctors are used to non-US passports so my oldest never had a problem.

When DS11 took the SAT, a boy was rejected by the gatekeeper because he did not have any photo ID and he was late so could not run home to get it. Photo IDs on cellphones aren't accepted and I don't know why the boy think that a photo of a photo ID is acceptable.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

Has everyone checked to make sure IDs are current? There was a sad, cautionary post some time ago about a son who showed up for a much anticipated and diligently prepped for SAT, only to be turned away because of an expired passport.  :crying:

you had me freaked out on this for about an hour as i waited for one of my ds to wake up so i could go check the passports... i had NO idea if they were expired yet.

WHEW!!! we're safe through 2018. but good thinking! freak out moment!

• Like 3

Mine has 2 APs, one on Mon and one on Wed so will be done by mid week. I think I am the one who is a little stressed. Very first APs and we go do it senior year. I don't think it will affect acceptance unless it's below a 3. At least I hope not.

Both PAH classes provided excellent prep so we are hoping for the best. Huge bucketloads of good luck to all!

• Like 3

My kids always seem to handle this time of year much better than I do. I am the one having freak-out moments after reviewing their FRQ's and the one looking for the kids on CC to explain how to circumvent the CB's AP release schedule so I can get the scores as soon as possible rather than waiting the few extra days until it is my state's turn to view scores.

I did not know that was possible! Is it a straightforward process? I am a little concerned because I think last year my state's score was released in July and UCs have a mid July deadline for submitting them.

I did not know that was possible! Is it a straightforward process? I am a little concerned because I think last year my state's score was released in July and UCs have a mid July deadline for submitting them.

Your son should have indicated on the form that he completed (or will complete if his school does not bring the kids in for a separate session to complete this paperwork)  that he wants his college to receive the AP scores.  As far as I know, the colleges receive the scores before they are released to the students.  If he hasn't done that yet (my senior filled out this paperwork last month at the school where he is taking the tests), he will want to make sure he fills out that paperwork to have his scores sent directly to the college.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Your son should have indicated on the form that he completed (or will complete if his school does not bring the kids in for a separate session to complete this paperwork)  that he wants his college to receive the AP scores.  As far as I know, the colleges receive the scores before they are released to the students.  If he hasn't done that yet (my senior filled out this paperwork last month at the school where he is taking the tests), he will want to make sure he fills out that paperwork to have his scores sent directly to the college.

Good luck.

Thank you! Is this during the AP exam? I don't think the registration form the school gave us had that option.

Thank you! Is this during the AP exam? I don't think the registration form the school gave us had that option.

My son said that he indicated where to send his scores on the form that he completed during registration last month.  (He said he also received an email reminder last week from his college which asked him to make sure the scores were sent directly to his school.)

Umm... unless you know something I don't, he isn't REQUIRED to do the AP exams as part of continued acceptance.  If he was accepted, he was accepted.  It is my understanding that the only thing that could affect acceptance is a significant change in GPA, such as dropping to straight C's.  

Of course, this is provided he wasn't given conditional acceptance, which I know isn't the case.

• Like 1

Umm... unless you know something I don't, he isn't REQUIRED to do the AP exams as part of continued acceptance.  If he was accepted, he was accepted.  It is my understanding that the only thing that could affect acceptance is a significant change in GPA, such as dropping to straight C's.  

Of course, this is provided he wasn't given conditional acceptance, which I know isn't the case.

The reporting of AP exams has nothing to do with acceptance to the school - the schools want AP scores so they can advise the student with his freshman year course selection, which takes place for some students before the colleges may potentially receive AP scores if the student waits to send the score until after the scores have been released to him.

• Like 1

I don't think it will affect acceptance unless it's below a 3. At least I hope not.

The reporting of AP exams has nothing to do with acceptance to the school - the schools want AP scores so they can advise the student with his freshman year course selection, which takes place for some students before the colleges may potentially receive AP scores if the student waits to send the score until after the scores have been released to him.

Hi Snowblemom - Yes, I understand AP exams completely.  I thought Quark's comment about acceptance was regarding her son's university acceptance.  When I reread it, I can see that she could also have meant acceptance of the AP score.

Quark, if that is the case, you should look at Berkeley's AP acceptance chart because some require a score of 4 or 5 to receive credit.  Not sure which ones your son is taking.

• Like 1

Hi Snowblemom - Yes, I understand AP exams completely.  I thought Quark's comment about acceptance was regarding her son's university acceptance.  When I reread it, I can see that she could also have meant acceptance of the AP score.

Quark, if that is the case, you should look at Berkeley's AP acceptance chart because some require a score of 4 or 5 to receive credit.  Not sure which ones your son is taking.

Sorry, I completely missed reading Quark's post that discussed the acceptance of the AP score.  I only saw the post of Quark's that had asked me a question about making sure AP scores are sent to the colleges.

• Like 1

I have no idea actually why they want what they want, only that they have asked to see his Chemistry and Lit scores. It's right there in his Cal Central portal. :tongue_smilie:

DS has said he knows where to enter the college code so I think we are all okay! Thank you! :thumbup:

• Like 1

It sure does sound like a conditional acceptance you know. The way they word it. As in let us know if your GPA drops etc. I thought they word it that way to everyone and I thought that's what a conditional acceptance sounds like? If they chose to word it that way for only him, it does not make sense as he has only had straight As throughout. So unless something drastic happens, he's not going to have a C average. I think I am just worried about dotting the "i"s, crossing the "t"s. :001_smile:

• Like 1

I have no idea actually why they want what they want, only that they have asked to see his Chemistry and Lit scores. It's right there in his Cal Central portal. :tongue_smilie:

DS has said he knows where to enter the college code so I think we are all okay! Thank you! :thumbup:

It sounds like they are going to use those scores for placement purposes.  You don't have to worry about an acceptance being revoked if he has a bad testing day next week. (Not that I think that is even a remote possibility.)

• Like 1

I don't think it will affect acceptance unless it's below a 3. At least I hope not.

I found this on one of the Berkeley pages

Although the College Board reports all AP tests results to us, students should be aware AP test scores lower than 3 will not adversely affect their chances for admission.

I, too, think it is for placement purposes.

• Like 2

Very first APs and we go do it senior year.

I didn't realize that there is no food/drinks break for AP. Only stretch leg/restroom break between sections. So used to SAT and ACT food breaks. My area is having a heat wave next week peaking on Wednesday. We were at Dublin B&N today and it was very hot on the drive there and back. I probably left my glasses (spectacles) there so we are going back tomorrow to look :lol: I have spare glasses as my prescription never change.

Good luck for your son's exams.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

At one of the 2 HSs my ds is taking his exams, they have a 10-15 min break between MC & FRQs -and they can eat whatever they bring with them. And during the exam, they are allowed water on the table? Where are you hearing there are no food/water breaks?

"What Not to Bring to the Exam Room

You may not have any food or drink in the exam room, including bottled water."

https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/takingtheexam/exam-policies/exam-day-policies

Also on page 5 and 6 of Bulletin for AP® Students and Parents https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-bulletin-students-parents.pdf

"Misconduct includes:

Bringing food or drink into the testing room (unless this has been preapproved as an accommodation by the College Board)."

Below is quoted from the instructions pdf. Maybe the HS lets the kids leave their lunch bags outside the exam room for AP exams. When my kids took the SAT and ACT, they brought their lunch bags into the exam room and put them under the desk.

" There is a 10-minute break between Sections I and II. When all Section I materials have been collected and accounted for and you are ready for the break, say:

Please listen carefully to these instructions before we take a 10-minute break. All items you placed under your chair at the beginning of this exam must stay there, and you are not permitted to open or access them in any way. "

https://secure-media.collegeboard.org/digitalServices/pdf/ap/ap-exam-instructions-computer-science-a.pdf

• Like 2

At the school my dd is testing at, they can bring a drink and snack but they have to leave it in the gym. They can go to the gym during the 10-minute break to eat it.

Here's what this year's AP Coordinator Manual says about it:

Students should be given a monitored

10-minute break between Sections I and
II of an exam. During the break, students may move
about, talk, go to the restroom, or get a drink of water
or a snack. You and other exam proctors should decide
in advance whether you will allow students to leave
the room.
  • Like 1

As for the "stress" part, yeah, we didn't decide to do AP exams until February, and these will be dd's first. They are the lowest-scoring AP exams (Physics 1 and 2), but she wants to try to test out of algebra-based physics for a biology/biomedical science degree. She completed Apologia Physics this year, but if we had decided at the beginning of the school year  to do the APs, she probably would have taken actual AP Physics classes on edX or something like that. She's been doing the practice tests and is hoping to pull off a 3. She'll also be taking the SAT Subject Test in Physics in June, since two of her potential colleges give credit for that.

Of course, this test prep is coinciding with final projects and exams for her two DE classes, and she is also prepping for the Spanish CLEP. And we just found out that in order to enroll in DE General Chemistry next semester, she needs to do a pre-assignment in ALEKS for which she needs to have at least 95% of the "pie" before she can even register for the class! She isn't terribly stressed, but her days are definitely full since she has EC's also.

Ds has Chem tomorrow and is suddenly so sick!

He has one more this week and one next week. He also has prom this coming weekend. None of this is helping his stress level at all. I think he may want to hibernate after his exam next week.

• Like 1