Menu

Mini-vent: Why does everyone have a fidget toy now?

Ginevra

My favorite accommodations for fidgety kids when I was a teacher was to have something they can do for me–sharpen pencils, color a folder game and cut out the pieces. When I ran out of stuff for my class, I'd ask the kindergarten and pre-K and special ed teachers. It worked :). I did the same thing for years for read-alouds-DD made a lot of Dover paper dolls to go with history and literature.

Edited by dmmetler
  • Like 2

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A million years ago, my super active move-move-move kid used to crouch on the dining room chair, on his toes, like a catcher. He has very good balance and he'd just kind of shift and rock as he did his work. Constantly moving but in very little space.

Every once in a while, he'd lose his balance and there'd be a loud-ish, unexpected noise as he'd try to right himself before he fell and he'd grab onto the table.

• Like 1

I was wondering the same thing about your response.

So...because you didn't understand something you decided to just say that some people find "that" bizarre? Even though you didn't understand what I'd said? :huh:

Why didn't you ask for a clarification instead of saying that some people find "that" bizarre? I guess everything can be construed as "bizarre" when you're ignorant of it.

To be clear, I was commenting because someone mentioned tasbih beads in a way that implied that they were (essentially) just a a socially acceptable fidget toy for old men. They are not. Tasbig beads have a religious purpose and are not considered a toy, and they are not (only, or primarily) for old men.

I was simply pointing out that was incorrect because

1) Tasbih beads are not for old men. They are for everyone.

2) They have religious significance and aren't a toy or a trinket.

3) Some people would be deeply offended by the insinuation that tasbih beads are a "toy" or simply be fiddled with absently.

But I didn't want to make the poster think that I was personally offended. Whether or not it's offensive varies between individuals and is cultural. There is no official rule anywhere that I'm aware of that says it's disrespectful, blasphemous or sinful, but nevertheless.

You run the risk of upsetting/offending some Muslims very deeply if you are disrespectful of a set of tasbih beads.

A large part of their upset comes from the fact that the individual beads are often inscribed with the various attributes and names of Allah (which are considered holy). To disrespectfully handle the beads is seen as sacrilegious to some people.

Even if a particular set of Tasbih aren't inscribed with the names of Allah, they are used as a part of worship/praise so again, some people get really upset to see them treated without respect.

• Like 2

In my experience, adults fidgeting with things is widely tolerated in the tech world, either to prevent more distracting behavior or to help concentration or stress. If it is noisy, you might be asked to find something quieter to do.

Acadia, I would find those textured teething rings highly satisfactory. : )

Nan

• Like 1

I did understand what you wrote.   I guess I'm tired of the fact everything is offensive.  Probably incorrectly aimed at you and what you said, but yeah.  That is where I am with that.  Everything is offensive.  Every comment.  Every wearing of this, that, or the other thing.  It gets kinda difficult to keep up.

But I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to be an arse and should have not said anything. 

So...because you didn't understand something you decided to just say that some people find "that" bizarre? Even though you didn't understand what I'd said? :huh:

Why didn't you ask for a clarification instead of saying that some people find "that" bizarre? I guess everything can be construed as "bizarre" when you're ignorant of it.

To be clear, I was commenting because someone mentioned tasbih beads in a way that implied that they were (essentially) just a a socially acceptable fidget toy for old men. They are not. Tasbig beads have a religious purpose and are not considered a toy, and they are not (only, or primarily) for old men.

I was simply pointing out that was incorrect because

1) Tasbih beads are not for old men. They are for everyone.

2) They have religious significance and aren't a toy or a trinket.

3) Some people would be deeply offended by the insinuation that tasbih beads are a "toy" or simply be fiddled with absently.

But I didn't want to make the poster think that I was personally offended. Whether or not it's offensive varies between individuals and is cultural. There is no official rule anywhere that I'm aware of that says it's disrespectful, blasphemous or sinful, but nevertheless.

You run the risk of upsetting/offending some Muslims very deeply if you are disrespectful of a set of tasbih beads.

A large part of their upset comes from the fact that the individual beads are often inscribed with the various attributes and names of Allah (which are considered holy). To disrespectfully handle the beads is seen as sacrilegious to some people.

Even if a particular set of Tasbih aren't inscribed with the names of Allah, they are used as a part of worship/praise so again, some people get really upset to see them treated without respect.

• Like 2

In my experience, adults fidgeting with things is widely tolerated in the tech world, either to prevent more distracting behavior or to help concentration or stress. If it is noisy, you might be asked to find something quieter to do.

Acadia, I would find those textured teething rings highly satisfactory. : )

Nan

My husband is not in tech, but he is in Finance.  He still sits at a computer all day.  And he is a fidgeter.  Years ago he started doing the pen spinning with his pen and now he can't hold a pen or pencil still in his hand.  He has to spin it.

Apparently there are contests now......maybe he should enter.

• Like 2

Now the fitget spinners are starting to get banned during class time.

"The list of places where schools have banned fidget spinners also includes Brooklyn, Connecticut, Florida, Indiana, and even the U.K.

Students with diagnosed conditions are generally still allowed to bring fidget spinners into schools that have banned them. The real problem, educators say, is that the majority of children who are fascinated by fidget spinners are using them as a fun distraction, not for any therapeutic reason.

“Fidget spinners are being misused by children who don’t know what they’re intended for," one private school teacher in Queens told the (New York) Daily News. "They’re using them as a game to see who can balance them longer or spin them faster.â€And obviously, if the kids are focused on a fidget spinner game or competition, they're not paying much attention to anything else happening in the classroom." http://time.com/money/4765188/fidget-spinners-ban-schools-classrooms-teachers/

"One headteacher shared a letter from a Year 7 pupil complaining that lessons are being disrupted. “They are the latest craze and roughly seven people bring them into my lessons and share spares with other people,†the unnamed girl wrote to Chris Hildrew, head of Churchill Academy in Somerset.

“When you are trying to focus on your work, all you can hear is it spinning round and round. If someone around you has one you kind of get attracted to it because they are trying to do tricks and everyone else is looking at it. This means that I am not doing my hardest on my work so I get less done.

“To sum up, I think they should be banned in lessons.â€" http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/03/fidget-spinners-new-classroom-craze-banned-across-nation/

• Like 3

My husband is not in tech, but he is in Finance. He still sits at a computer all day. And he is a fidgeter. Years ago he started doing the pen spinning with his pen and now he can't hold a pen or pencil still in his hand. He has to spin it.

Apparently there are contests now......maybe he should enter.

My elementary (all girls) school teachers would joking tell all the pencil/pen twirlers in the class to try out for school band majorettes. Some of us are very good baton twirlers as well and a senior did win a band majorette twirling competition.

• Like 1

I noticed a spinner for the first time in church on Sunday.

It was mesmerizing!

I'm torn on their use in a classroom. If it helps the student who spins it but distracts other students then who gets the right to have the environment be conducive to paying attention?

• Like 4

I have no problem with teachers/ schools banning certain types (the spinners esp.).  I've repeatedly said that people should follow rules for the classroom.  I think that there are enough alternatives out there for students who need something in the actual classroom.  I do have a problem with people trying to extend their preferences to outside of class.  Then it is none of their business and is up to each parent. 

• Like 1

If it helps the student who spins it but distracts other students then who gets the right to have the environment be conducive to paying attention?

A friend's daughter is allowed fidgets under her allowed accommodations. Her daughter would not lose that accommodation even if there is a school classroom ban.

A friend's daughter is allowed fidgets under her allowed accommodations. Her daughter would not lose that accommodation even if there is a school classroom ban.

But as the category of fidgets gets very broad (and distracting to other students), I imagine they'll start listing acceptable criteria.  We have marble fidgets that are silent and unobtrusive, and wouldn't distract other classmates.

• Like 2

I have barely seen them, but the school in this neighborhood seems to be focused on adding more recess, not less.  I wonder how much the need for this is correlated directly with not having enough exercise or time outside?

• Like 1

DS therapist just introduced him to fidget toys. Her rule is that of you can fidget while focusing on the task at hand then the tool is helpful. If your distracted by the fidget tool then you need to stop using it in that setting.

I'm distracted by the use of his fidget toys but am working through it as it is truly helping his anxiety.

• Like 2

I could say that if you're so easily distracted by a small, noiseless toy, you may be adhd yourself :)

The fidget toys are marketed to other than ASD kids/adults. Many schools in the area are moving to "fidget seats" -- and it has nothing to do with having too low expectations, and everything to do with (perhaps) finally realizing that our expectations, to this point, have been unrealistic. Many children--if not most--cannot sit still for long periods of time, and while I'm sure that any of them could be trained to do so, there is enough debate suggesting that it wouldn't be the healthiest option.

Side vent.

I despise those damned chairs.

Yes it is unrealistic to expect kids, especially younger ones, to be still for so long.

So. Get. Them. Out. Of. The. Chairs.

Drives me insane. Talk about missing the point.

Give them a recess. Better yet. Give them two recesses, start them in school later in age closer to 7, and shorter school days.

/end side rant.

• Like 2

“Fidget spinners are being misused by children who don’t know what they’re intended for," one private school teacher in Queens told the (New York) Daily News. "They’re using them as a game to see who can balance them longer or spin them faster.â€

Ds told me at bedtime that he had a new record - he had passed the spinner while still spinning half a dozen times in a row.  :lol:

I don't know how you can "misuse" a toy. They clearly have multiple uses. I maintain that they're not the best for classrooms though. I mean, obviously. If it were my classroom, I'd probably take them away from the IEP kids too and replace it with other stuff. I doubt it's written into any IEP's specifically.

Side vent.

I despise those damned chairs.

Yes it is unrealistic to expect kids, especially younger ones, to be still for so long.

So. Get. Them. Out. Of. The. Chairs.

Drives me insane. Talk about missing the point.

Give them a recess. Better yet. Give them two recesses, start them in school later in age closer to 7, and shorter school days.

/end side rant.

I'm with you. I was shocked when, while looking into a possible kindergarten placement for my youngest, I learned that there is virtually NO school here (private or public) with more than a 20-30 minute recess (and only once daily) -- even for kindergartners. Oh, and it seems to be the first thing yanked when a child "misbehaves" (which may indeed be the child fidgeting and antsy from sitting still, but let's take recess because that makes complete sense). 

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The one thing DD15's former special needs private school did RIGHT was their take on recess. Even in middle school the children had 2 or 3 recesses daily, AND they incorporated as much movement into every single subject as they possibly could -- outside building actual bridges from real material and with actual physical effort, etc.

They still managed to fit in "school work" -- in addition to the daily one-on-one or two-on-one each student had with a tutor. Imagine that :P