Menu

25th Anniversary Trip.....where to go

Ottakee

Dh and I are discussing our 25th anniversary trip.  Tomorrow is 24th so we have a full year to plan this if needed.  We took a honeymoon trip but being poor and me still in college we went NORTH in MICHIGAN in early APRIL....like to the UP type north.  It snowed.  We stayed our first night in a wonderfully sounding (remember when AAA tourbooks were all you had to pick a hotel) Lakeside cabin....which was really more of an "hourly" place :drool: :huh:.

Anyway, we would like our 25th to be a bit more special with a bit better weather.  We enjoy nature, shorter walks/hikes, discovering local dive type food places (we don't dress up to go out to eat), water, sun, mountains, local, state, national parks,   He would like to rent a side by side (or bigger quad) and go exploring vs. a museum or candlelight dinner.  Weather wise we are great in hoodie weather up to about 75, maybe 80.  We want to avoid the hot and humid.  We are not sit and bake at the beach people but do enjoy sunrises and sunsets at the beach when it is cooler and less crowded.

We live in the midwest but can fly fairly easily out of Chicago or Detroit if needed.

We are toying with the idea of Hawaii (see my other post) but are open to other ideas.  What are some other great ideas for us?

Wherever your heart desires.  Have y'all talked about it in terms of making a "list" of desired places?  Will budget dictate choices?   I'd start there.

We've not done anything big, big but I'd like to.  We celebrate 37 years this year and I really want to go to Alaska or out "west".  Internationally-speaking I'd like to go to Italy and such places.

Stick with Hawaii.  You'll love it.

See if any of these books are in your library to help you decide which island is best for you.  I'd go with Kauai or the Big Island.  With just one week and limited funds, I wouldn't try to island hop.

https://www.amazon.com/Hawaii-Island-Revealed-Ultimate-Guidebook/dp/0963942964

https://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Kauai-Guidebook-revealed/dp/0983888760

ps  At either place we can sit and watch the Spinner Dolphins for hours... This link is just to introduce you to them.  Actually seeing them from shore is free and easy.

http://sailhawaii.com/spinnerdolphins.html

Edited by creekland
  • Like 1

I agree about Kauai.  It's not a sit on the beach and bake only kind of place.  There is great hiking, and you can snorkel, and hunt for puka shells on the beach (where were you in 72?), and see the actual waterfall the babies were playing in in South Pacific, which was mostly filmed there.  Also the Naapali Coast is worth a boat ride--so beautiful.

San Francisco is nice in April but not as warm as you're talking about.

WAIT!  What about Paris?  Isn't April the classic time to go there?  Or Provence?  (I have never been to either place myself.)

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1

We just got back from Kauai. Very quiet, very peaceful, I felt very safe. Open air everything. If you do, stay in the Princeville area and if you can swing it $-wise, eat at the St Regis either grill or restaurant and take in the sunset over the coast. There is snorkeling, Tunnels beach is nice, and nice hiding and waterfalls. Very relaxing place, people are wonderful.

Greece and Italy sound fabulous to me, too, but Idk what that budget is like.

• Like 1

Our trip does not have to be in April.  Kauai is sounding very nice.  I will have to check out that book and figure out when off season/cheaper rates are.

For international travel, I would love Ireland and my husband might like Germany (he speaks German) but not likely in our budget.

• Like 1

My husband and I went to Maui last May and had an amazing time. We got up early and saw the sunrise at Haleakala, then drove one way around the island and saw Iao Needle and did a bunch of hikes. The next day we drove the other way around the island and did the road to hana- and kept going. That day we did a hike, well bouldering really, to a private waterfall where were the only ones for the several hours we were there. Amazing bucket list type thing. We stopped at several other falls and swam. One of the falls my husband did some cliff jumping. Another set of falls was in the national park. We took private golf lessons at the beautiful Wailea Golf Club. We did the full day early morning Trilogy sailing cruise to Lanai for snorkeling and we saw several pods of dolphins, one of which had several hundred! It's common to see them that time of the day but not usually so many. The food was fantastic and they actually raise the sails which was my first time on a sailboat. We also went ziplining in Lahaina but actually not my favorite part of the trip, it wasn't as thrilling as we were expecting. Lastly, we had a luau booked for Old Lahaina Luau but shortly after we arrived it started pouring and they had to make use leave :( We ended up having a great dinner nearby but I really wanted to see a Luau lol. For keeping expenses down we stopped at the Costco after we got our rental and stocked up on snacks, water, and breakfast and dinner foods (we had a studio style condo) and only ate lunch out. We just winged lunch and ended up at Leoda's Pie Shop, Coconut's (fish taco shop), Da Kitchen, and Hula Grill. Full disclosure though, my husband won the trip at a golf tournament which was a set $ amount to put toward the trip but we had to book through a travel agency. We used that money to pay for airfare, hotel, and car rental and we paid for everything else ourselves.

Our trip does not have to be in April.  Kauai is sounding very nice.  I will have to check out that book and figure out when off season/cheaper rates are.

For international travel, I would love Ireland and my husband might like Germany (he speaks German) but not likely in our budget.

OH!

Well in THAT case, please consider Lake Tahoe in July (but not over the 4th--the crowds then are surreal).  

It's in the 80s usually during the day, but cools off once the sun goes down.  

The lake itself is one of the most beautiful sites in the country, and there is tons to do.  You can boat, hike, bicycle, see famous performers, and shop.  There are historical sites, and places that you will recognize from movies.  Carson City, the capital of Nevada, is within cruising range, as is Virginia City--a a famous Mark Twain mining town.  

Really, I think you will wish you had two weeks if you go there.  But a week would be fun, too.  

You would definitely need a car.

A good place to stay if you want to do some of your own cooking is the Tahoe Beach and Ski Club--a one bedroom or a townhome would be best (the studios don't have as good-sized kitchens.)  Pro tip--when I stay somewhere like that I pack some herbs and spices in my luggage so I don't have to buy all the pricey little bottles when I get there.  TBSC has its own private beach with awesome sunset views, and barbeques out there to use.  It's within walking distance of the boarding dock for the Tahoe Queen, a steamboat style dinner/tour boat.  There are several hot tubs on site, plus a gym with a sauna.  

If you go to Carson City, see the statehouse (the only silver dome in the country, I believe), the state museum (awesome mining exhibit, among other things), and then eat at Adele's--it is without question the best place in town.

When you're in the Tahoe area, there are lots of small side trips to do.  I strongly recommend driving around the west side of the lake at least, and spending some time at the overlooks along the road.  Maybe walk down and tour the historic house at the base of Emerald Bay, the most gorgeous part of the lake.  If you want an anniversary ring, Bluestone is a great store in Tahoe City, beyond Emerald Bay.

http://www.bluestonetahoe.com/products/womens-rings

Nearby Spooner Lake is nice to hike around, with an interpretative guide.  

Really, the best approach to the area that I know of is to figure out what you like to do, and then go to the visitors' center and see whether there is a guidebook that enables you to find the best place to do it.  Chances are, there will be.

Dh and I are discussing our 25th anniversary trip. Tomorrow is 24th so we have a full year to plan this if needed. We took a honeymoon trip but being poor and me still in college we went NORTH in MICHIGAN in early APRIL....like to the UP type north. It snowed. We stayed our first night in a wonderfully sounding (remember when AAA tourbooks were all you had to pick a hotel) Lakeside cabin....which was really more of an "hourly" place :drool: :huh:.

Anyway, we would like our 25th to be a bit more special with a bit better weather. We enjoy nature, shorter walks/hikes, discovering local dive type food places (we don't dress up to go out to eat), water, sun, mountains, local, state, national parks, He would like to rent a side by side (or bigger quad) and go exploring vs. a museum or candlelight dinner. Weather wise we are great in hoodie weather up to about 75, maybe 80. We want to avoid the hot and humid. We are not sit and bake at the beach people but do enjoy sunrises and sunsets at the beach when it is cooler and less crowded.

We live in the midwest but can fly fairly easily out of Chicago or Detroit if needed.

We are toying with the idea of Hawaii (see my other post) but are open to other ideas. What are some other great ideas for us?

I don't know. It's going to be pretty tough to beat that romantic "hourly rate" cabin in Michigan. ;)

• Like 7

Dh and I spent our 10th at Cabo San Lucas and  I still cherish our time there. I wouldn't take it back for anything. Have you thought about going to Vegas and doing some shows? We did that for our 20th and had so, so much fun. Of course, I shouldn't love Vegas as much as I do... but the Phantom of the Opera at the Venetian??? OMG. The Blue Man Group??? So funny I thought I would die... Jimmy Fallon before the Tonight Show??? LOL. 

My husband and I went to Maui last May and had an amazing time. We got up early and saw the sunrise at Haleakala, then drove one way around the island and saw Iao Needle and did a bunch of hikes. The next day we drove the other way around the island and did the road to hana- and kept going. That day we did a hike, well bouldering really, to a private waterfall where were the only ones for the several hours we were there. Amazing bucket list type thing. We stopped at several other falls and swam. One of the falls my husband did some cliff jumping. Another set of falls was in the national park. We took private golf lessons at the beautiful Wailea Golf Club. We did the full day early morning Trilogy sailing cruise to Lanai for snorkeling and we saw several pods of dolphins, one of which had several hundred! It's common to see them that time of the day but not usually so many. The food was fantastic and they actually raise the sails which was my first time on a sailboat. We also went ziplining in Lahaina but actually not my favorite part of the trip, it wasn't as thrilling as we were expecting. Lastly, we had a luau booked for Old Lahaina Luau but shortly after we arrived it started pouring and they had to make use leave :( We ended up having a great dinner nearby but I really wanted to see a Luau lol. For keeping expenses down we stopped at the Costco after we got our rental and stocked up on snacks, water, and breakfast and dinner foods (we had a studio style condo) and only ate lunch out. We just winged lunch and ended up at Leoda's Pie Shop, Coconut's (fish taco shop), Da Kitchen, and Hula Grill. Full disclosure though, my husband won the trip at a golf tournament which was a set $ amount to put toward the trip but we had to book through a travel agency. We used that money to pay for airfare, hotel, and car rental and we paid for everything else ourselves.

..and we spent three weeks in Maui in December for what was probably our 11th trip. We did what we always do.

We sit on the beach. We walk on the beach. After all that strenuous exercise, we sit on the beach. I wade with the turtles, being the energetic part of our marriage. We take a nap. We read. We snorkel just a few yards from the edge of the water. Repeat in the afternoon.

We go to the local for a brew or a snack. We watch the sun set. We watch a movie. We well mind your own beeswax.

The next day is a reprise.

We take 2 day trips around the place to go to Makawea and to Mama's Fish House.

That's it.

My point is that you can't screw up Hawaii. You can be very active as noted above or you can be very restful as we are. We read, I do a lot of photography, check out the turtles and fish about 15 times a day, get in the car as seldom as possible.

It's a great destination.

I don't know. It's going to be pretty tough to beat that romantic "hourly rate" cabin in Michigan. ;)

At least we had our own cabin....With a shower that didn't drain, fireplace that didn't vent, bed crammed into a corner so you had to crawl over to get in and out.

Yep, going to be hard to beat that one.

So thankful for trip advisor and google now.

• Like 3

At least we had our own cabin....With a shower that didn't drain, fireplace that didn't vent, bed crammed into a corner so you had to crawl over to get in and out.

Yep, going to be hard to beat that one.

So thankful for trip advisor and google now.

Gotta admit, these places make some of the best stories a decade down the road and they do make nice comparison baselines.  We're still talking about the time we camped at Little Truckee... and I had to remind myself that some folks actually like Lake Tahoe (after reading that post).  I know our view is probably colored by the camping experience we had there, so... Lake Tahoe is pretty... ;) I'd never choose it over Hawaii (or a gazillion other places) though.  I can see someone having a "memorable" experience in Hawaii saying the same thing.   :lol:

Well shoot.

If you're considering going overseas, the obvious place to visit is Bora Bora.

Bora Bora is what Hawaii used to be.

It is also where many believe native Hawaiians are from originally.

James Michener said that Hawaii was great but Bora Bora was paradise.  Having been to both places, I agree with him.  Bora Bora is like Hawaii only way better.

• Like 1

Well shoot.

If you're considering going overseas, the obvious place to visit is Bora Bora.

Bora Bora is what Hawaii used to be.

It is also where many believe native Hawaiians are from originally.

James Michener said that Hawaii was great but Bora Bora was paradise.  Having been to both places, I agree with him.  Bora Bora is like Hawaii only way better.

Bora Bora is my dream bucket list destination.

The main problem is it's not cheap - esp from the eastern US.  Every time I think of saving for it my mind thinks, "one week in Bora Bora or one month+ elsewhere" and elsewhere (far less expensive destinations) win.

It's the island on our National Geographic calendar this month (sigh).  That - and your post - have me looking at that bucket list again... but until we finish paying for college... less expensive needs to win (even less expensive than Hawaii).

Bora Bora is my dream bucket list destination.

We went to Bora Bora and Moorea for our honeymoon. 

Bora Bora was the best place we have ever been, hands down, bar none, in our lives to date.

It was pricey then, I hate to think what it would cost now.

But for a 25th anniversary super special trip meeting all the OP's requirements, I can't imagine a better place in the whole world.

• Like 1

I love the southeast coast of Maine! It is just gorgeous. I could walk the beaches for hours. Lots of lovely coastal hamlets with little delis, diners, and beachside food.

Also the Killington area of Vermont for walks and hikes but without the heat.

The Keeweenaw Peninsula in Michigan is a favorite as well, and the Puget Sound area of Washington.

• Like 1

I get these emails from something Ireland (can't remember why, but somehow I started receiving them!) and they had a post once saying how you could cruise cheaply from Ireland. They had a cruise to the fjords of Norway I was thinking sounded neat. It's not particularly warm (except in your RV?  :blushing: ) but Alaska would fit your parameters. You can rent an RV, drive around, eat at the scant and scattered restaurants, sleep with a glacier view. It's really quite amazing. When you want nature, well you've got it there. The whole state is sort of the ultimate state park, lol. 

My grandparents loved Yellowstone. I haven't been yet. Really though, with what you listed, you might be really happy at a national park like Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. Gorgeous accommodations, good food, places to walk...  But yeah, not warm.

I know someone who flew to Puerto Rico and then did a cruise from there. Seemed pretty fab. 

Edited by OhElizabeth

I love the southeast coast of Maine! It is just gorgeous. I could walk the beaches for hours. Lots of lovely coastal hamlets with little delis, diners, and beachside food.

I'm actually in the middle of planning dh's and my 25th anniversary trip this September and this is where we're going.  We're on the west coast and have never been to New England.  We fly into Boston, go south to Plymouth and the Cape for one day and then north to south of Portland and near Scarborough ME for several days.  Finally, back to Boston for one day of historical stuff, Harvard square, and then Fenway park at night, before flying home.  I'm really looking forward to it! 

We want to just relax for the several days we have in an Airbnb a block from the ocean near Scarborough, with some short little day trips perhaps.  If you have any suggestions, and if the OP doesn't mind a veering in the thread, I'd love to hear some. 

• Like 2

I sound like a broken record because I'm always recommending Acadia NP in Maine, but it's one of my favorite places in the world. It's the only place I've ever been where there are mountains and ocean. It's so relaxing and the hiking is amazing! There are unlimited things to do or nothing at all, whatever you wish. Our favorite time to go is the week following Labor Day.

• Like 2

It's the only place I've ever been where there are mountains and ocean.

Hawaii and several spots in the Caribbean have mountains and ocean side by side (as do other spots around the world - Bora Bora, New Zealand, etc, but the budget is far higher to get to those places).  Hawaii even has the world's tallest mountain (as measured from its base, not sea level) with Mauna Kea.  One can go from sea level to its top in a couple of hours (allowing for some time to adjust to the height to avoid altitude sickness).  Arcadia's mountains are quite a bit smaller, but still gorgeous.

I agree the combo in general is fantastic - very beautiful and very relaxing.  Mixing the two is one of our favorite things to do.

Part of the deal would be when one wanted to take the trip.  If April, I wouldn't suggest Arcadia.  If shortly after Labor Day like you suggested, it could definitely be an option - esp if trees are changing color along the route there.

I sound like a broken record because I'm always recommending Acadia NP in Maine, but it's one of my favorite places in the world. It's the only place I've ever been where there are mountains and ocean. It's so relaxing and the hiking is amazing! There are unlimited things to do or nothing at all, whatever you wish. Our favorite time to go is the week following Labor Day.

Mine too.  

We did our 25th year trip last year in Andalusian Spain -- rented a car, stayed in little inns, ate lots of late night tapas and wandered all the White Towns. It was divine.   :001_wub:  :001_wub:

And not crazy-expensive either.  Once you get past airfare, there are many international locations that are as or more affordable than the US.  If you're considering flying to Hawaii or other US locations, you could well find that places like Costa Rica or Panama (to which there are often very good fares, and in which it's super-easy to get around even without much language capability) are just as affordable.