Menu

Colors that sell a house

Barb_

Lots of good advice already - I echo the recommendation to follow trends currently on the market in your area, particularly in new home construction. Personally, I like grey as a background/palette for warm, bright furnishings and accessories. Natural elements (wood, stone, quartz) seem to be trending.

Also, be careful not to make selections that will make your house too expensive for your very specific neighborhood. I believe this can be a common trap in renovations, like adding top of the line everything and then ending up being the most expensive house in the neighborhood.

You're right.  We are pretty solidly midrange to maybe the upper 2/3 in our development.  There are townhouses and 1200sqft homes.  There are gorgeous custom homes, homes with nice lots and pools, homes with zero lot line and only the suggestion of a backyard.  All are newer and there are many, many homes still going up.  We are competing with the new homes going in, so I'm hoping that with some trendier finishes we'll sell faster.

• Like 1

I hear you about being too broken hearted to live in a place again. 

Re carpet:  if you are not going to live there again, I would do carpet upstairs (tile in bathrooms) because carpet is probably cheaper than anything else.  And it's kind of a wash in my opinion as to whether you would get your money back on more expensive stuff.  

It has been my experience and to my benefit that people have NO imagination and they can only see what is before them.  So if you are going to sell, go with trends *even if you know (and I know) that in 5 years, they will be out of date.*. I have been able to acquire two wonderful houses because I have an ability to see what *could* be instead of what *is*.  But after buying 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8 houses in 35 years (4 of them within 3 years of each other), I have learned a few things, and one of them is that by and large, people don't understand how a house "lives" nearly as much as they understand what it looks like.  

My point is that if tile floors upstairs is all the rage at the moment, tile the floors.  Let the buyers live with the noise.  If gray paint is what sells a house, paint it gray.  You don't have to pay for the purchasers' antidepressants.  

But when you look for YOUR next house, don't worry about the orange shag carpet.  Or the bright blue walls in the bedrooms.  Think instead about how the house will *live* and how much it will cost to paint and replace the carpet.  Think instead about how many steps it is from the garage to the kitchen, from the kitchen to the bedroom; how the noise from the TV will penetrate to the rest of the house, etc.  People look at paint color instead of these things...but you can always re-paint.  A floor plan is hard to change.  

And I doubt I could find a picture of any of our houses "on demand"--it's only when I am looking for pictures of my kid that I can find pictures of my houses---and not a single picture of my kid.  Ha.  

Out of curiosity, who do you think is the target demographic for your house, if there is one?  

I hear you about being too broken hearted to live in a place again.

Re carpet: if you are not going to live there again, I would do carpet upstairs (tile in bathrooms) because carpet is probably cheaper than anything else. And it's kind of a wash in my opinion as to whether you would get your money back on more expensive stuff.

It has been my experience and to my benefit that people have NO imagination and they can only see what is before them. So if you are going to sell, go with trends *even if you know (and I know) that in 5 years, they will be out of date.*. I have been able to acquire two wonderful houses because I have an ability to see what *could* be instead of what *is*. But after buying 1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8 houses in 35 years (4 of them within 3 years of each other), I have learned a few things, and one of them is that by and large, people don't understand how a house "lives" nearly as much as they understand what it looks like.

My point is that if tile floors upstairs is all the rage at the moment, tile the floors. Let the buyers live with the noise. If gray paint is what sells a house, paint it gray. You don't have to pay for the purchasers' antidepressants.

But when you look for YOUR next house, don't worry about the orange shag carpet. Or the bright blue walls in the bedrooms. Think instead about how the house will *live* and how much it will cost to paint and replace the carpet. Think instead about how many steps it is from the garage to the kitchen, from the kitchen to the bedroom; how the noise from the TV will penetrate to the rest of the house, etc. People look at paint color instead of these things...but you can always re-paint. A floor plan is hard to change.

And I doubt I could find a picture of any of our houses "on demand"--it's only when I am looking for pictures of my kid that I can find pictures of my houses---and not a single picture of my kid. Ha.

Out of curiosity, who do you think is the target demographic for your house, if there is one?

This is terrific advice. So much to think about here!

Target demographic is probably late 30s, school aged kids, animals, trading up from the starter house or a corporate relocation. . Probably dual income or single income professional.. I'm just thinking of the the families I know who live in similar homes in our neighborhood.

Edited by Barb_

Just so you guys understand what I'm dealing with, this is my kitchen, lol.  This isn't a remodel, it's a rebuild.

34ECA860-93AC-452E-9B98-B6961C9E4210_zps

And you don't think future buyers would walk through and see the potential the way they want it???   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sorry... couldn't help myself.  In reality, I'm sorry this happened to your house.  I remember when you posted about the fire.   :grouphug:

Since you need to do something, I'd go with neutral paint as most have suggested - 'cause if you go with something else you not only are trying for a super niche market, you're also hoping to pick something they like and that's tough.

Like you, I prefer carpet for upstairs - something that won't show dirt easily, so not white.  Carpet is far more comfortable for the feet and doesn't convey heat/cold easily.

For other trends... can I suggest you go to some Open Houses and see what they look like to get ideas - esp new construction.  Different areas tend to like different things.

These are bowl sinks:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bowl+sinks+for+bathrooms+with+vanity&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwji3rH6hYjTAhWF4CYKHa_UD1QQ_AUIBygC&biw=1242&bih=580

I can't stand them and would change out any in a place we bought - or pick somewhere else if something comparable were available (ditto for stainless appliances, a single kitchen sink, & white cabinets in the kitchen).  HOWEVER, if that's what's selling the best in a place I'm getting done for sale, I'd override my preferences and put in what I thought would sell.  Someone else has to live with it (and cleaning it), not me!

We have chestnut wood in our house (it's old, so it's likely real chestnut wood) and that's ok, but my personal preference is darker - walnut or cherry.

On the house hunters shows, I love the idea of a larger rain shower...  Now that my kids are grown, we never use a tub.  I'd want one in a house as some folks like them - esp if they have younger kids, but for my master bath, a rain shower would give it some nice bonus points mentally.

• Like 1

As some of you may remember, our house was gutted by fire back in August. We're living in an insurance paid rental on the next block, but thinking of just moving to another state once the house is done so we don't have to hassle with moving furniture. If we decide to do this, I will be choosing colors and finishes based on what other people want rather than on what I want. I'd originally planned to do a poll, and still may do it once the choices are narrowed. Will you guys answer these questions for me? Answer as many questions as you feel like and feel free to share reasons for your answers. Everything will help. I'm totally overwhelmed. Thank you!!

Your age (decade is fine if it's tmi):

Main paint color (bonus points for brand and color name or number):

Cabinet color in kitchens:

Countertop material and color:

Appliance color:

Wood look plank tile (wood in AZ doesn't do as well) color family:

And a couple of non-color related questions:

Carpet or tile upstairs?

Garden tub/separate shower or larger shower in master bath?

Ideal window treatments:

I'm 40.

I find it hard to answer the colour question, as it depends a lot on the house.  But I do really hate beige and grey/beige.  My favorite line is Farrow and Ball, which tends to reflect the houses I like best.  But, I think dark colours need a higherceiling or deep mouldings, at least most of the time.

As far kitchens, I don't tend to like wooden/stained cupboards. Painted wood is my favorite.  I am open about colour though I often like yellow.  My favorite kitchen was my aunts, which had a caramel/creamy colour on the cabinets and red and black checked floor.

Countertops - again, it needs to fit into the house - anything looks wrong if it doesn't.  I don't generally like granites.  I'm fond of butcherblock. 

Appliances - white, generally.  I'm not a fan of stainless unless it is actually commercial grade appliances.  Black is usually too dark.  I do covet pink fridges.

Plank tile - likely would never be a first choice, I'd go with tile that looks more traditional, but I don't like the darker or greyish wood-looks, generally speaking.

I'd prefer never to have carpet.

I don't much care about the shower arrangements.

Window treatments - this is difficult without seeing the place.  I would tend to want to do m own curtains as chances are m tastes are different than the sellers.  Blinds might be a better bet.  Though I have a real soft spot for shutters in the right setting.

• Like 1

Here if you scroll down, this is pretty typical of most of the models:

http://www.avhomesinc.com/community_happening/8-decorating-tips-from-an-interior-design-pro/

Do you guys like or dislike this style and why?

Wow, I hate those cabinets!

Craftman style is interesting, it can sometimes handle some dark woods.  And the often use darker colours, but personally I prefer them a little lighter.  My mom lives in a craftsman house, and there is a chair-rail.  Over the rail she has a warm lighter colour, and below is papered in grasscloth, which looks great - I'm not sure how it would work in your climate but I think it would fit in pretty well.

And while I tend not to be into warmer colours, I think in a place like Arizona, I might have a look at colours that are used in local building traditions.  Like - I would likely not use plank tiles in the kitchen, I would look at the tiles that are used in traditional housing in Arizona - I am thinking it would tend to be square earth coloured tiles?  Like a glazed terracotta?  That sort of thing could look amazing with craftsman style, including the whole house, IMO. 

The designers that pioneered that style were really interested in local materials and styles wherever they were building.

I like subway tiles, but to me they do tend to suggest certain eras of home, and I don't think they are always the best choice in other settings.  And, I would not have them without darker grout in a bath or kitchen, which is a pretty distinct style and some don't like it.  But white grout is a PITA.

ETA - carpets upstairs - I usually are willing to buy a house even if I don't like the decorating - I am more interested in what can't be changed.  However, carpets might be an exception unless I can actually rip them out and replace them before moving in.  They are just too hard to clean with dogs and too hard on my daughters allergies.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

Here you can see my natural cherry cabinets in a mission style. The cherry has just a clear coat and will naturally darken, become more rich over time. 

Our counter is black granite with a honed finish so it looks more like soapstone

We will eventually swap the stove and fridge for stainless. We have a stainless vent hood now over the stove. The dishwasher is stainless and we went with a large single bowl sink. 

Our floors are a vinyl plank Coretec Red River Hickory.

I could check paint colors, but the khaki color runs throughout the floor with that green accent wall on west walls (it is an open floor plan between the kitchen/dining/livingroom, so it works)

post-28430-0-02785300-1491224851_thumb.jpg

Here are our mission 3 panel doors, they are an off white and match the trim. 

post-28430-0-22530900-1491225209_thumb.jpg

Here is the bathroom, the green isn't so blinding in real life. It is a shade lighter on the color chip than the color in the kitchen/living room. Comfort height vanity. The sink was a clearance one from lowes, it was one of their solid surface special orders that was ordered in the wrong size so we got it for about $100. The toilet is comfort height too. Not sure you are doing a bathroom, but you can see the maple vanity. I designed it, hubby made it, I finished it. 

post-28430-0-65292300-1491225200_thumb.jpg

Edited by LifeLovePassion
  • Like 1

First off, WOW! I am so sorry for what you have/are facing. That looks horrible. I totally understand your desire to get out.

Well, we just bought a major fixer upper. I will tell you my plans so far. (hope links work)

Your age (decade is fine if it's tmi): 37

Main paint color (bonus points for brand and color name or number): exterior- a very light yellow/cream color with light teal door http://thespacebetweenblog.net/wp-content/uploads/aqua-door-gray-house.jpg.  With accents of white washed brick. Interior- white to neutrals 

Cabinet color in kitchens: Here are a few picture of the kitchens I like- https://www.pinterest.com/pin/175218241733432531/,

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/175218241733523267/,  https://www.pinterest.com/pin/175218241733533036/

Countertop material and color: The counters will probably be white concrete stained to look like the limestone counters in the first picture above. I can't stand shiny. I want the farmhouse look

Appliance color: stainless steel

Wood look plank tile (wood in AZ doesn't do as well) color family: https://www.sognaretile.com/products/roca-tile-wood-look-ceramic-amazon-series?utm_campaign=Pinterest%20Buy%20Button&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Pinterest&utm_content=pinterest-buy-button-1b8592f5a-f01a-424c-a8d1-0b2213f9c5be  (this one would go with grays and browns)

Carpet or tile upstairs? Carpet in bedrooms only

Garden tub/separate shower or larger shower in master bath? I am good with a big shower if there is a kids bathtub in the other bathroom.

Ideal window treatments: I haven't thought about this yet.

Edited by coralloyd
  • Like 1

Just so you guys understand what I'm dealing with, this is my kitchen, lol.  This isn't a remodel, it's a rebuild.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: Again

I have been intending for weeks to ask you to post an update on the rebuild (as if you had the time lol), but this is just jaw dropping. Even in my wildest dreams I did not envision this degree of devastation. Oh.My.Word.

Your craftsman is lovely and IMHO you should absolutely play to its specific features.  Trust your instincts.  The new buyer will love it for the same reasons you did.  Your home is not a cookie cutter model.

Sooo... Showcase that staircase, lose the rock wall, select a neutral (exact shade TBD) flowing paint color throughout, neutral carpeting in the bedrooms IF you aren't moving back in and the carpet will remain "new," install wood plank tile in the hallways.  I would also choose the same plank for downstairs.

Reread Patty Joanna's posts about a hundred times.  She is spot on!  LOL re: the purchasers' antidepressants..   :lol:

Moving without furniture is a BRILLIANT idea...   :thumbup:  

• Like 1

And you don't think future buyers would walk through and see the potential the way they want it??? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry... couldn't help myself. In reality, I'm sorry this happened to your house. I remember when you posted about the fire. :grouphug:

Since you need to do something, I'd go with neutral paint as most have suggested - 'cause if you go with something else you not only are trying for a super niche market, you're also hoping to pick something they like and that's tough.

Like you, I prefer carpet for upstairs - something that won't show dirt easily, so not white. Carpet is far more comfortable for the feet and doesn't convey heat/cold easily.

For other trends... can I suggest you go to some Open Houses and see what they look like to get ideas - esp new construction. Different areas tend to like different things.

These are bowl sinks:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bowl+sinks+for+bathrooms+with+vanity&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwji3rH6hYjTAhWF4CYKHa_UD1QQ_AUIBygC&biw=1242&bih=580

I can't stand them and would change out any in a place we bought - or pick somewhere else if something comparable were available (ditto for stainless appliances, a single kitchen sink, & white cabinets in the kitchen). HOWEVER, if that's what's selling the best in a place I'm getting done for sale, I'd override my preferences and put in what I thought would sell. Someone else has to live with it (and cleaning it), not me!

We have chestnut wood in our house (it's old, so it's likely real chestnut wood) and that's ok, but my personal preference is darker - walnut or cherry.

On the house hunters shows, I love the idea of a larger rain shower... Now that my kids are grown, we never use a tub. I'd want one in a house as some folks like them - esp if they have younger kids, but for my master bath, a rain shower would give it some nice bonus points mentally.

Oh those!! Yes I agree with you --I hate those sinks. I don't think they're popular here, thank goodness. I think I'm going with the stainless on the appliances, or maybe the black stainless. Most of the houses I've seen still have it and the selection is really wide.

• Like 1

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: Again

I have been intending for weeks to ask you to post an update on the rebuild (as if you had the time lol), but this is just jaw dropping. Even in my wildest dreams I did not envision this degree of devastation. Oh.My.Word.

Your craftsman is lovely and IMHO you should absolutely play to its specific features. Trust your instincts. The new buyer will love it for the same reasons you did. Your home is not a cookie cutter model.

Sooo... Showcase that staircase, lose the rock wall, select a neutral (exact shade TBD) flowing paint color throughout, neutral carpeting in the bedrooms IF you aren't moving back in and the carpet will remain "new," install wood plank tile in the hallways. I would also choose the same plank for downstairs.

Reread Patty Joanna's posts about a hundred times. She is spot on! LOL re: the purchasers' antidepressants.. :lol:

Moving without furniture is a BRILLIANT idea... :thumbup:

Thanks Jenn Ă¢Â¤ The rebuild is oh-so-slow. Slow enough for us to have second thoughts about moving in, lol. We still have three grown kids here in AZ so it wasn't an easy decision, but our fourth one isn't ready to move out and will live with us for her first two years of college, so it seemed like a good breaking off point.

All of the damage was inside except for the roof. The outside is pretty much intact, believe it or not! A lot of damage is better than a little damage, because they didn't nickel and dime us on the insurance claim. Our adjust just wanted it OFF his desk, lol. Plus the whole thing had to be stripped to the concrete and studs. No mitigation, just demolition. I don't think anyone will be able to tell there was a fire when they get through with it.

I loved what you said about playing up what we loved about this house. That's great advice. I want to highlight what I noticed when I walked in the front door.

• Like 2

Oh those!! Yes I agree with you --I hate those sinks. I don't think they're popular here, thank goodness. I think I'm going with the stainless on the appliances, or maybe the black stainless. Most of the houses I've seen still have it and the selection is really wide.

I keep seeing those stupid sinks here. We just staying in a rental and they suck! Short person's nightmare.

• Like 3

Here is a photo the the stairs. You see it when you walk in the door. Notice the high ceiling and all the light. This paint color looked so dark on the chip--it was the third or fourth one down out of five-- and turned out so much lighter on the walls.

764327DF-A5BB-4784-A017-57246482DF7F_zps

Also, this is why I want to add some color. There are a lot of angles and detailing and they just disappear with builder's white:

D9426F70-84E5-46D2-AA12-6D680CC2394F_zps

Here is the rock wall. A lot of people loved it but I was never a fan. It'll save about 3-5k leaving it out. I'll be able to put that money into upgrading some kitchen and bathroom fixtures or putting in a nicer island.

3BE04404-1293-450A-BB32-870D210C14EB_zps

• Like 2

Also I loathed that travertine. It never looked clean and it was everywhere. It desperately needed sealing, but I got a few bids and they wanted $2500 to do it all.

All of these pictures are from when we just bought the house. I had a ton because my mom lives on the other coast and couldn't come out. They really came in handy when we were doing the adjustment.

Edited by Barb_

Here is a photo the the stairs. You see it when you walk in the door. Notice the high ceiling and all the light. This paint color looked so dark on the chip--it was the third or fourth one down out of five-- and turned out so much lighter on the walls.

764327DF-A5BB-4784-A017-57246482DF7F_zps

Also, this is why I want to add some color. There are a lot of angles and detailing and they just disappear with builder's white:

D9426F70-84E5-46D2-AA12-6D680CC2394F_zps

Here is the rock wall. A lot of people loved it but I was never a fan. It'll save about 3-5k leaving it out. I'll be able to put that money into upgrading some kitchen and bathroom fixtures or putting in a nicer island.

3BE04404-1293-450A-BB32-870D210C14EB_zps

I think your judgment is spot on.  That rock wall does nothing for me.  I wouldn't want it given an option.  It looks so wrong in a house.

A darker color (but not dark) paint would be ideal in that house.

• Like 3

I think your judgment is spot on. That rock wall does nothing for me. I wouldn't want it given an option. It looks so wrong in a house.

A darker color (but not dark) paint would be ideal in that house.

It does, doesn't it? Thank you, I feel vindicated, lol. I've hated it for ten years and everyone including my husband thought I was nuts. The kids used to climb it when I wasn't looking (eyeroll)

• Like 2

Also, looking at the shot of the upstairs hallway, I think you guys are right that the wood-tile would be gorgeous up there and just throw down neutral carpet in the bedrooms

I actually really lived the tile coralloyd linked up there. I wouldn't have picked it but I think the weathered look would be nice in there

Edited by Barb_

Lovely home, Barb! That stone wall - that's not even the type of stone in style anymore. To be on trend you'd be looking at something like this:

https://www.norstoneusa.com/gallery/application/interiors/

Even then, it wouldn't universally appeal to all prospective buyers. Keep the wall plain, it'll appear lighter, larger and more versatile.

I was thinking, when folks come into the model homes in your neighborhood, what are the upgrades that the builder will charge extra for? If someone could purchase your home with a few of the choice upgrades without a surcharge for those elements in new construction, I believe that will help make your home more competitive against the new builds. That and more mature landscaping.

When we've purchased in new neighborhoods, I honestly felt that if the new construction were the same price as existing homes on the market, why not go for new and fresh? When choosing an older home instead, the things that swayed me were those included "upgrades" and established landscaping (and location, but you can't change that). I hate having to start landscaping all over again, with teeny trees, only basic plants and lots of mud. We've been talking about the interior, but if you can, make that yard work for you, too!

• Like 2

I love the color in the large room of the above picture! Hate the rock wall, and tile ( especially together ) (sorry). The hall could use some color.

Don't be haha! I ended up going with a dark color in that room and putting down a traditional rug to tone it down and wound up with a sort of medieval castle look. I've been looking forward to seeing what it'll look like once it's gone.

ETA: medieval castle photo lol. Sorry for all the pictures. This is fun.

EC18DFB9-7DAC-4490-A4DA-D4F2B6E297E3_zps

Edited by Barb_

Don't be haha! I ended up going with a dark color in that room and putting down a traditional rug to tone it down and wound up with a sort of medieval castle look. I've been looking forward to seeing what it'll look like once it's gone.

ETA: medieval castle photo lol. Sorry for all the pictures. This is fun.

EC18DFB9-7DAC-4490-A4DA-D4F2B6E297E3_zps

Oh, that looks so much better!

• Like 1

Lovely home, Barb! That stone wall - that's not even the type of stone in style anymore. To be on trend you'd be looking at something like this:

https://www.norstoneusa.com/gallery/application/interiors/

Even then, it wouldn't universally appeal to all prospective buyers. Keep the wall plain, it'll appear lighter, larger and more versatile.

I was thinking, when folks come into the model homes in your neighborhood, what are the upgrades that the builder will charge extra for? If someone could purchase your home with a few of the choice upgrades without a surcharge for those elements in new construction, I believe that will help make your home more competitive against the new builds. That and more mature landscaping.

When we've purchased in new neighborhoods, I honestly felt that if the new construction were the same price as existing homes on the market, why not go for new and fresh? When choosing an older home instead, the things that swayed me were those included "upgrades" and established landscaping (and location, but you can't change that). I hate having to start landscaping all over again, with teeny trees, only basic plants and lots of mud. We've been talking about the interior, but if you can, make that yard work for you, too!

Oh, they're going to get fresh alright lol.

That Stone is really pretty. I can see how anything like that can get dated. It's so expensive and wasteful to replace and it goes out of style in less than a decade. I think social media and hgtv have tightened the cycle. It seems like everything looks dated so much faster!

Anyway, that's great advice. I want to do something pretty with the stair rail while keeping to to the craftsman feel. i.e. No iron. Something like this maybe?

http://thediymommy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Craftsman-Stairs-SML-682x1024.jpg

• Like 1

Oh, they're going to get fresh alright lol.

That Stone is really pretty. I can see how anything like that can get dated. It's so expensive and wasteful to replace and it goes out of style in less than a decade. I think social media and hgtv have tightened the cycle. It seems like everything looks dated so much faster!

Anyway, that's great advice. I want to do something pretty with the stair rail while keeping to to the craftsman feel. i.e. No iron. Something like this maybe?

http://thediymommy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Craftsman-Stairs-SML-682x1024.jpg

YES! I was going to mention adding something to the stair rail but couldn't come up with a good suggestion. The image you linked is perfect for a craftsman style home!

And I wholeheartedly agree that houzz, hgtv and the like shorten the trend cycle. That's why it's important to make different decisions for resale than for forever homes.

• Like 2

Your best bet is to look at what is on trend right now since you are likely building to sell. Your thinking should be more along the lines of what a builder would be thinking than a homeowner because you wouldn't be taking into account your own tastes, just what you think the public is likely to want. 

Even when something is on trend, specific looks and color preferences vary by region of the country: think beach vs. desert vs. Manhattan vs. New England. 

Ways to find out what is on trend in your area:

Look at new developments near you in the price range that you would be selling your house. What colors are they using? (You can likely view online. I would stay within your region for externals. )

Ask the designers at local chain hardware stores what is on trend and what they expect to stay on trend. 

See if there are any house shows by builders/designers near you. Parade of Homes is one possibility. If you've never been, builders and designers from a locale team together to build/decorate houses on a certain block. The public is invited and there are two winners: one winner is the winner chosen by professionals; the other by the public. You can get to see what was offered and also what the public liked most. Again, you may be able to find photos online. 

• Like 1

As some of you may remember, our house was gutted by fire back in August. We're living in an insurance paid rental on the next block, but thinking of just moving to another state once the house is done so we don't have to hassle with moving furniture. If we decide to do this, I will be choosing colors and finishes based on what other people want rather than on what I want. I'd originally planned to do a poll, and still may do it once the choices are narrowed. Will you guys answer these questions for me? Answer as many questions as you feel like and feel free to share reasons for your answers. Everything will help. I'm totally overwhelmed. Thank you!!

Your age (decade is fine if it's tmi): 40s

Main paint color (bonus points for brand and color name or number): Sherwin Williams Silver Monorail

Cabinet color in kitchens: Cherry (or White would be cheaper)

Countertop material and color: Granite or Quartz -- grey tones and/or brown tones in kitchen. Can jazz it up in bathrooms as desired, but still granite or quartz.

Appliance color: stainless steel

Wood look plank tile (wood in AZ doesn't do as well) color family: medium tone -- along the lines of natural oak, but other shades are fine, too, just not too dark or too light

Carpet or tile upstairs? I hate carpet. I used wood, but if you don't want to use wood, then I might do the wood look tile in halls and carpet in bedrooms. I just hate carpet, though, so maybe wood look tile everywhere, with large area rugs in all or some of the bed rooms for a cozy look/feel.

Garden tub/separate shower or larger shower in master bath?: YES on both. I *have* to have a nice big tub. A large shower is also important. Do the best you can to get both if possible.

Ideal window treatments: 2" plantation type blinds. Cheap ones from Home Depot are just fine. ($40-50/window, easy to DIY install.) Very large windows would have to have something else, obviously. 

• Like 3

You guys are helping me clarify what I want to do. I'm hyper-verbal and need to talk things out to know what I think. I've been looking at ideas online and in the neighborhood for six months, but I still have trouble translating how those ideas would look in my exact house. I'm logical-analytical, and totally not the visual or creative type. Picking out paint colors makes me want to cry.

Keep the ideas coming! I wish you could all fly in for a week and drive around town with me picking out finishes :D

• Like 2

You guys are helping me clarify what I want to do. I'm hyper-verbal and need to talk things out to know what I think. I've been looking at ideas online and in the neighborhood for six months, but I still have trouble translating how those ideas would look in my exact house. I'm logical-analytical, and totally not the visual or creative type. Picking out paint colors makes me want to cry.

Keep the ideas coming! I wish you could all fly in for a week and drive around town with me picking out finishes :D

I have relatives in the respective businesses: building, kitchen design, interior decoration. You may find that the services of a professional don't actually cost that much and would save you a lot of angst.  

I would start with the designers in the kitchen sections of stores where you can purchase cabinets, etc. and just see what it would cost. If you are purchasing from them, that ensures all your measurements are guaranteed, etc. 

• Like 3

I haven't been able to upload my pictures, as the files are too big. I will try later.

We have spent the last year fixing up a 100+yo house that hadn't been updated in 60+ years. We picked neutrals for multiple upstairs rooms for speed (2 bds, bath, and hall, plus staircase). Upstairs, we went with what I call "sky" colors. The neutral is a pale blue, I think called "waterfall mist." Our bedroom is a much darker blue, and our 12 yo picked black. They all look very sharp with the hardwood floors and white woodwork.

Downstairs is going to be rich earth tones, but our layout is quite different, and I think those colors in your place would not work as well.

The place we are leaving is pale yellow, also with wood floors and white woodwork, but I have grown to dislike it. It does look good empty.

Speaking of empty, I assume you will show it empty of furniture. I think the colors in an empty house show differently.

I worked for crate and barrel back in the day, and I remember some stuff from the design meetings. The catalogs usually featured very on trend colors, especially in kitchen wares. But, they said that in general, year after year blue was the most common kitchen color in American houses. But I don't think I have ever seen a blue kitchen in real life. In your situation, I might just pick a theme from a catalogue or magazine and just be done with it.

I can't answer the other stuff right now. Out of energy.

• Like 1

Also, looking at the shot of the upstairs hallway, I think you guys are right that the wood-tile would be gorgeous up there and just throw down neutral carpet in the bedrooms

I actually really lived the tile coralloyd linked up there. I wouldn't have picked it but I think the weathered look would be nice in there

With the stairway - my mom had a stairway in her old house that was very noticable and with that kind of detailed bannister.  What they did is had the rail itself stained a dark wood, as were the stairs, and then the underside of the rail and the spindles in white.  It really looked great.  You might not want it quite like that, but using colour to bring out all that detail can be really effective.

ETA - Ha, you are looking at something like that already!

I did have another thought though - something that might really make a difference in a house like that would be to consider adding more in the way of mouldings.  It's big enough that it could take quite deep ones, and what it has is actually a little small for the proportions.  Once you have something deeper it opens up the possibility of working with darker colours on the walls or really using your trim colours more usefully.

For example: http://www.houzz.com/Navajo-white

or  these;  https://www.pinterest.com/explore/craftsman-trim/

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 2

especially in kitchen wares. But, they said that in general, year after year blue was the most common kitchen color in American houses. But I don't think I have ever seen a blue kitchen in real life. 

We have a blue kitchen and love it.  We hired a decorator to help with paint colors and she chose the color - it's something we never would have chosen for ourselves, but we are thrilled with it and always get compliments on it.  

• Like 1

Picking out paint colors makes me want to cry.

When we painted the interior of our house, Sherwin Williams had a service where they would send a decorator out to your home to help with paint colors when you purchased a gift card of $75 or more to use for future purchases.  The woman they sent out was fantastic and such a huge help.  This was in 2009, though.  

• Like 2

Your age (decade is fine if it's tmi):

Interior--light, soothing tones. Our favorite color right now is Repose Gray by Sherwin Williams. Other colors we've used and like: Latitude by SW (from Lowes),  Valspar Stone Manor (looks great with white trim), grayish green (like Gray Owl by Benjamin Moore), Valspar Gravity.

White. They were dark wood when we bought the house. We painted them as a temporary fix and feel it looks so much better. If we ever get new cabinets I will get white. You have to be careful though because some white cabinets look super cheap. I'd go for a lighter wood tone that looked higher quality over white that looked basic.

We have butcher block as our main counters and granite on the bar area. Kashmir white is my favorite granite color. It is beautiful and looks great with different cabinet colors. If we were able to replace our counters, I'd look into some of the newer materials out there (quartz?). I prefer materials that don't stain easily and are fairly low maintenance. We had all granite in past houses and I thought they were a pain to clean and maintain.

Appliance color:

Stainless. I love the look of the new dark stainless.

Darker wood-look tiles are pretty on-trend right now. BIL/SIL bought a new townhouse a couple years ago and it had dark plank tiles. They sold this year and in their new house I'm pretty sure they put those same tiles. To give you an idea of great colors, go to Lowes and look at Pergo Max Lumbermill Oak (darker tone) and Pergo Max San Marco Oak(lighter tone). We've used both of these and love them.

Carpet or tile upstairs?  

Laminate  :D 

Tub, no question. My tub is what's helped me keep my sanity over the past 14 years of having kids!

Ideal window treatments:

Wood or wooden-look wide slat blinds. 

If you have time, tour some new-build communities / model homes in your area, especially ones that are around your house's price point or a bit above. That will give you an idea of what finishes people might expect when buying.

• Like 1

This seems really popular.  It's very pretty in the photos, but I think I'd only pair it with very dark floors.  Also we have a ton of light.  Does light wash it out?

We have Repose Gray in a bathroom with lighter floors and couple hallways with darker floors. It looks good with both. It definitely changes tone depending on the light, so may not feel dark enough for high light areas (like your main area with the beautiful staircase). You might look into Valspar Stone Manor, Benjamin Moore Rockport Gray, Sherwin Williams Functional Gray for deeper tones.

• Like 1

You might find it helpful to go into the paint stores and pick up the brochures where they have curated palettes already put together. The colors in Benjamin Moore's Aura series are amazing--you could pick any of them and they would all "go" together in a house.  Likewise, I find Behr's (at Home Depot) palette this year to be very lovely as well. 

I live in a house with very tall ceilings and a lot of tile (no carpet).  We're in a similar climate. Colors work differently in houses with vaulted ceilings and a lot of bright light.  I think if you're wanting to do everything in one neutral color, I would look at: Pale Oak, Edgcombe Grey, Revere Pewter, Sea Salt, Burnished Clay and Comfort Grey.  They aren't all greys. Some of the colors I mentioned will pull blue green, others will pull more beige. Depending on the tile and cabinets and fixtures you choose, you will want different undertones/tones.

• Like 2

Age 48:

Red Brick house with river rock

Inside, walls are a soft white or ivory with wainscotting in cherry, and cherry floors except the bathroom and kitchen which have a very beautiful pale rose and brown with black fleck linoleum. Counter tops are soft brown and rose with black fleck, black sink, stainless and black appliances, ivory walls, copper bronzed faucets, cherry cupboards stained a dark cherry, and in the bathroom, ivory marble sink with white toilet, bath tub, and surround,copper bronzed accessories. Cherry wainscotting.

Kids rooms are to their taste. One has an astronomy themed room with dark blue carpet, light blue walls, mural of the moon on one wall. Outdoor guy has teak floor with light beige on three walls, and forest green on the other. Third boy has pale yellow on three walls, and medium color green on the other wall, not because he likes it, but because he took over his sister's room when she got married and doesn't care enough to change it. Also beautiful teak floors.

Living room has antique cherry with dark mahogany finish wainscotting that is 48 inches high on white walls because these walls are 24 feet tall and the paint was decent when we moved in so no desire to get scaffolding and repaint while draping all of that hardwood. The cathedral windows have panes of glass that are dark blue, gold, magenta, and a medium color purple. The brick needs a bid of work, and we don't have the time nor want to spend the money so it will eventually be painted a pale ecru color. We had a steel roof of dark blue put on it a couple of years ago in anticipation of he eventual paint job, and the trim around the windows is white. So LOL until the red brick gets painted over, it looks a bit patriotic!

We thought it would be a forever home, but thought wrong. But we won't pay to have anything redone to be more "sell worthy" because the economy here never recovered and houses go for nothing. Case in point: One mile east the owner of a taxidermy and deer processing business died. He has a 2500 sq. ft gorgeous stone home with every bell and whistle, three car attached garage, the pole barn for the business which is also beautiful and trimmed out with stone to match the house and garage, large pond, and 20 acres. It just sold for $150,000.00. Our place is probably only worth $50,000.00, and we have 4000 sq ft but nothing more than an acre, and no attached garage. So not investing in changes.

I am not certain how our color scheme would go over with buyers.

I'm sorry you had to deal with a fire. I am wondering if insurance is paying for everything ie. money is no object, or if you will pay for more expensive upgrades. The pictures you posted of your house are very nice and don't think you will have trouble selling it!

Revere Pewter is extremely popular on Pinterest. I don't think it will offend anyone either. I would put floors in bedrooms as well because a lot of people need it for allergies/asthma or just don't want to vacuum. It is becoming more standard. They can always put area rugs. You could put carpet on the stairs. I would choose white, gray or black cabinets in the kitchen with stainless steel appliances. I think that is least likely to offend anyone. I am in my 40s but I think older people will not be turned off by neutrals and neutrals seem on trend with younger people.

Your age (decade is fine if it's tmi): Around 40 (but I tend to skew a bit younger in likes/dislikes)

I'm okay with white and beige but I much prefer color. Blues or greens (greyish in tone) grey or even pale yellow.

Off white is okay, only dark wood tones NO orangish oaks, they're so hard to tone down and find other colors that match.  I really like 2 color painted, where the bottoms are a different color than the tops.  Or where just the pantry is the odd color.

Prefer natural stone but okay with corian something to slightly contrast with the cabinets but not be garish in contrast

Appliance color:

stainless or black unless something a little more funky is called for? ANYTHING but white would pass

Really light or really dark, or grey, no orange (don't get me wrong, orange is a great color, I love orange.... as an accent color not the 40-50% of the space that floors cover)

Carpet or tile upstairs?

carpet but I've never lived in AZ, if it's like Florida with the sand, then tile

BIG shower, forget the tub, but that's probably only me (hate sitting in my own dirt)

Ideal window treatments:

Plantation blinds but only if you have $$ to burn otherwise the 2" blinds are a safe bet.  If you want to get creative do curtain over the blinds, especially since you don't want to move in furniture.  It will dress up the room and make it feel a bit more lived in for a fraction of the cost of staging. 

I live in the Midwest, and the new homes here tend to have gray paint on the walls. Although I admire the look, I find I need warmer colors in my home. The builders of our current house were going to use Glidden Toasty Grey  http://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/color/88562_Glidden-30YY51098-Toasty-Grey . We changed it to a bisque or very light tan color that I can't remember the name of now.

In our previous house, we had a great room with a curved staircase like yours -- though the handrail was wood color -- and a ton of white molding and woodwork throughout. The walls were all white when we bought it, and I couldn't stand it. We painted the great room and main areas of the house with Sherwin Williams Row House Tan and loved it. https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7689#/7689/?s=coordinatingColors&p=PS0  It was warm and not too dark and really showed off the white woodwork. I liked it so much that I occasionally think about painting my current family room that color.

Edited by Storygirl

I redid a house in mostly revere pewter, hard surface floors, mostly white trim, SW Sea Salt on the interior doors, BM Cedar Key in a couple rooms (it's exactly like revere pewter but is a red based tone instead of a green based tone).

I don't want to post pictures for privacy's sake, but I figured out exactly where to price it to try and get competitive bids and a ton of attention. My realtor agreed with the price point I wanted so DH caved and listed for 5 grand under what he wanted. We had 4 offers in the first 36 hours, and three other families said they would want it, but didn't want in a bidding war.  Sold for 8k above asking price after bidding war.

I'm redoing this house in nearly the same colors.  I'm going to leave out the Cedar Key (it didn't make me as happy as the Revere Pewter, which was quite calming), mix in some BM Cotton Tail (pale yellow), Revere Pewter cut 50/50 with white in the basement, and use ivory on trim, ivory on shaker kitchen cabinets, and bumping up the trim in most rooms to more of a heavy, craftsman style.  I love the Sea Salt doors - most people don't even notice it's not white, the sea salt is so pale.  It makes for a very serene environment.  I can't recall the shade of Ivory, but I'll go find it and come back.

ETA:  Ivory we're using on trim and cabinets is Benjamin Moore Cream Froth OC-97.

One thing I didn't mention:  we also had a newer kitchen, new stainless appliances with a counter-depth french door stainless fridge, and light granite counter tops that were much higher-end than I would have chosen myself.  The previous homeowner put the counters in.

ETA2: Go get swatches and narrow down from there which colors work best together.  When you're down to just 2-3 shades of each thing you're looking for, go back to the paint stores and get sample pots of each color.  Our paint store charges about $6 each for custom sample pots.   Put a large square of each color in both a shady spot and a sunny spot in your home to see how the light changes the color.  That may help you narrow down a lot, and $30 or so on samples is absolutely worth it to make sure you love your paint.

Candace Olsen is my favorite TV designer, if that gives you a feeling of my taste.

ETA 3:  We also had our realtor list the house on the very morning of the city-wide broker walk-through, so they all knew it was the nicest house at that price point, and got people in to see it immediately.

Edited by Katy

Katy! Thanks for coming back and posting Cream Froth. We are painting Revere Pewter in yet another house (and comfort Grey, the sister to Sea Salt--we did Sea Salt in our previous home)...but I needed a cute trim color.

We used Cedar Key as our exterior paint color in our previous house (it had reddish brick on the lower 1/3).

• Like 1

I love CA Craftsman homes.

To me, as a Californian, they are *supposed to* have hardwood floors.  That's just, well, normal.  Normally the older original ones have oak, sometimes matched and sometimes variegated, in a standard size that is maybe 2 1/2-3 inches wide.  Often there is dark walnut detail in a narrower strip about 6-8 inches from the walls, but otherwise they are quite simple.

Also, lots of people look for wood floors due to allergies.  If I were in your shoes, that's what I would have everywhere except the kitchen and bathrooms (and mud room, if you have such a thing).  Someone can always cover hardwood with carpet, but if you start with wall to wall carpet you might or might not have an easy time getting to hardwood.

I love CA Craftsman homes.

To me, as a Californian, they are *supposed to* have hardwood floors.  That's just, well, normal.  Normally the older original ones have oak, sometimes matched and sometimes variegated, in a standard size that is maybe 2 1/2-3 inches wide.  Often there is dark walnut detail in a narrower strip about 6-8 inches from the walls, but otherwise they are quite simple.

Also, lots of people look for wood floors due to allergies.  If I were in your shoes, that's what I would have everywhere except the kitchen and bathrooms (and mud room, if you have such a thing).  Someone can always cover hardwood with carpet, but if you start with wall to wall carpet you might or might not have an easy time getting to hardwood.

We did an "updated Craftsman" remodel a number of years ago.  I don't like a lot of the heavy details in Official Craftsman, especially in that house, which was more "seaside cottage" but not that informal.  I do like the exposed wood and trim and materials native to the environment.  The house seems to belong where it is that way.

I have wood floors everywhere in my main floor, except the did the den and living room in wtwall carpet.  I'm ok with that.  I love wood in a kitchen; I've had it in every house I *could* or had a say in.  It's so much more forgiving than tile or concrete or stone, and it really does wear well.  I got terrible backaches in our house with concrete/tile kitchen floors.  

As for the rock wall in Barb's house, I like it, BUT not with a travertine floor. Too much hardscape.  Part of the reason I like the rock wall is that it seems to be from the native environment.  But I would be annoyed with not being able to hang pictures and so on.