Menu

Airbnb / cats / mostly a vent but also a question about allergy help

marbel

A group of women from my church are going on a retreat.  It's a small group, so the organizer found an Airbnb.  It sounds nice, but I didn't notice the mention of cats in the house when I first read the description.  I went back and reread; it was at the very bottom and they were described as 'shy' cats. 

Today we received a note from the owner, letting us know about some things and reminding us about the cats.  She commented that we should leave bedroom door shut if we didn't want to risk  having a cat snuggled up in bed with us in the night.  UGH!  Since I had offered to sleep on the couch (not enough beds for all comers), I hope I'll be able to shut the door to that room. 

I have nonsevere cat allergies.  I don't have any respiratory distress (or haven't in the past, anyway; it's been a long time since I've been around a cat), but I itch like crazy. 

Good thing I am not driving, as I'll be on Benadryl all weekend.

Here's the question:  anything better than Benadryl for this?  I also have Zyrtek at home, though I've never taken it.  (My kids and husband take it for seasonal allergies.)

Next time I'll know to read the fine print!  I'd never have agreed to the place if I'd known I might end up with a cat in my bed.   

Edited by marbel

UGH! Since I had offered to sleep on the couch (not enough beds for all comers), I hope I'll be able to shut the door to that room.

I have nonsevere cat allergies. I don't have any respiratory distress (or haven't in the past, anyway; it's been a long time since I've been around a cat), but I itch like crazy.

Have you mentioned your allergy to the group? I think it's super generous of you to have offered to sleep on the couch before knowing about the cat, but since the circumstances are different now it's entirely reasonable to see if someone else could switch so you can sleep somewhere where there's a door to close.

• Like 11

You might try the Zyrtec well in advance, and get it going in your system.  It could help.  DS cannot take Allergra, Claritin or Zyrtec as they give him terrible anxiety and he feels angry the whole time.  So keep that side effect in mind as you figure out if you can use them, and if you start to feel cranky, take note, and don't just chalk it up to a bad day.  

He takes Nasonex (Rx) daily now - it's a nasal spray.  He also takes a lot of asthma control meds, but I think the nasal spray is for the allergies. He takes them year round, as he's allergic to enough that there's always something out there - otherwise his doc would say take it 2 weeks before X pollen/allergen is out.  She says the same about the 3 I listed above, so I'd aim for starting them at least 2 weeks before your trip.

For cats, DS has landed in the hospital twice.  So I don't really know if any of the above will apply to you, or be helpful.

• Like 1

Have you mentioned your allergy to the group? I think it's super generous of you to have offered to sleep on the couch before knowing about the cat, but since the circumstances are different now it's entirely reasonable to see if someone else could switch so you can sleep somewhere where there's a door to close.

I think I will see about doing that when we get there.  It's a small, close-ish group, but many have back problems or other issues that make me the most likely to be able to sleep on a couch.  I didn't want to make a big deal out of sleeping arrangements, because if we doubled up we could all have a bed, but I don't sleep with anyone but my husband, my own kids, or my sister.   :-)    I can foresee a few people offering to share with me and I don't wanna.  :-)    

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, sleeping with a cat would be the better alternative.   :lol:    Maybe I'll just stay up all night. i have a good, and very  long, audtiobook on my phone... just kidding, sort of.

Would it be reasonable, after it's all over, to send a note to the innkeeper suggesting that she highlight the fact that she has cats, and not call them "shy" if they might crawl into bed with strangers?   Maybe I am oversensitive because all my family is allergic.  I thought it was pretty common?

Edited by marbel
  • Like 3

I thought airbnb was just often people renting out a room or two in the their house?

But hey I don't really know.  I never tried it myself.

This is my first experience, though I have looked at several listings for other trips.  They are all different.  Some are just a room or two; some are dedicated rentals that no one lives in.  We have the whole house; I don't know if the owner lives there normally and sleeps elsewhere when it's rented out, or if she has another house.  The house looks really nice so maybe she has a cottage in the back > just speculating/fantasizing there.  

• Like 1

I can't imagine leaving my cats there while it was rented out. That's just weird!

I know! Do the guests have to clean the litter box and feed the cat too? What if they let the cat out and didn't know/notice? What if the cat gets shut in a room and pees everywhere? It's nuts!

• Like 5

I know! Do the guests have to clean the litter box and feed the cat too? What if they let the cat out and didn't know/notice? What if the cat gets shut in a room and pees everywhere? It's nuts!

Oh my.  Now you are scaring me!  :-)  Just kidding.  

I think in this case, the woman is close by. There was no mention of cat care, but we are only staying one night.   They also can come in and out as they please.  Maybe we won't even see them. 

But yeah, now that I think of it, it is kind of odd.  Some people might be mean to cats. 

• Like 2

My cat SCREAMS for food 3 times a day, pukes all over the carpet at least once a week, and the litter does need to be taken care of daily. More frequently if I have guests.  I can't even imagine routinely dumping him on strangers!

• Like 4

Oh my. Now you are scaring me! :-) Just kidding.

I think in this case, the woman is close by. There was no mention of cat care, but we are only staying one night. They also can come in and out as they please. Maybe we won't even see them.

But yeah, now that I think of it, it is kind of odd. Some people might be mean to cats.

The cat purring on my lap and trying to knock my phone out of my hands so I'll scratch his ears is horrified for the AirBnB kitty. ;)

• Like 5

There are other OTC things you can try. Claritin, Xyzal, Allegra, or even the Zyrtec. None make one as tired as Benadryl. That I do know.

Allegra is the best as far as an antihistamine, but for me, personally, I put it right up there with Benadryl as far as how nonfunctioning I am when I take it.

Marbel, our worst allergy family members take Zyrtec, for best results we've been told it should build up in your system a bit, start taking it daily good week before exposure.

You can also take Flonase, a nasal corticosteroid that is now available over the counter. It had a new sprayer design that makes it easier than ever to use. Start using it a few days prior to exposure, if possible.

For cats, I'd also have some eyedrops on hand. Or at least some saline drops for rinsing. I always manage to touch something and end up with cat hair in my eye when visiting friends with cats.

You are a good sport. I don't think it would be rude for you to mention the allergy, someone may volunteer to swap you for the sofa.

I can't imagine leaving my pet with strangers.

• Like 2

I think I will see about doing that when we get there. It's a small, close-ish group, but many have back problems or other issues that make me the most likely to be able to sleep on a couch. I didn't want to make a big deal out of sleeping arrangements, because if we doubled up we could all have a bed, but I don't sleep with anyone but my husband, my own kids, or my sister. :-) I can foresee a few people offering to share with me and I don't wanna. :-)

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, sleeping with a cat would be the better alternative. :lol: Maybe I'll just stay up all night. i have a good, and very long, audtiobook on my phone... just kidding, sort of.

Would it be reasonable, after it's all over, to send a note to the innkeeper suggesting that she highlight the fact that she has cats, and not call them "shy" if they might crawl into bed with strangers? Maybe I am oversensitive because all my family is allergic. I thought it was pretty common?

If the group is close then I would just be honest about both issues, the cat and the not wanting to share a bed thing. Everyone has their own issues so I would think the others would understand. Maybe there are people who don't have the same issue with sharing a bed and would offer to double up. Or maybe there are other solutions the group might come up with.

I don't do Airbnb, but I have seen some YouTube videos totally unrelated to Airbnb who have stayed in Airbnb places where there have been cats so I don't think it's a unique or isolated thing for properties to have cats. In one case they had big problems with the property and Airbnb ended up putting the person up in a hotel. Then again, they're a YouTuber with a fairly big audience and it made financial sense for Airbnb to do so.

I don't think it's a bad thing to share your concerns with the property owner. She may not do anything with your advice, but you're at least offering her a perspective she may not otherwise think about. I know it wouldn't really be something I thought about because no one here has allergies.

• Like 1

I imagine all airbnb's are different.  Some people might love a cat to snuggle up with I suppose!  My dd doesn't do well at all with cats though, as well as lots of other allergens that hit her hard when she visits certain homes.  She learned that taking Claritin for several days before going to the home helped quite a bit. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks all.  

The trip is tonight!  I took Zyrtek last night (because that's what we have, and I didn't have a chance to go out for anything else) and will take that again tonight, and have benadryl on hand.

Yesterday afternoon I was talking to the trip organizer, who brought up the cats. She had been as surprised as I was by the new information, and said "I hope no one is allergic to cats!"  I said, yes, I am.  Later she told me that she had talked to a couple other people, and someone else said she'd take the couch so I can have a bedroom and shut the door. So the sleeping thing is fine.

It might still be uncomfortable if the place is very "catty" meaning not vacuumed well/frequently.  I can still get itchy even if I never see a cat, if the house isn't cleaned. I'll assume that an Airbnb owner cleans well and thoroughly!   

I'll be in the place for only 24 hours so in any case the discomfort will be short!

Edited by marbel
  • Like 5

That would annoy me greatly. I probably would not go in order to avoid feeling itchy/miserable. Allergies can get worse over time, so I would absolutely only go if there was nearby medical care.

ETA: Even if the cat is put away, I think of my own cats who roam every part of the house and leave their lovely fur. The kitchen is their favorite place to hang when we are in there.

Edited by magnificent_baby
  • Like 1

We have two cats, one is shy.  However, he has a sixth sense about people with allergies or who just don't like cats.  He's on them like a magnet.  Follows them around demanding attention, jumps into their laps.  We lock in up because he's so forward.  Now, if I try to pet him he's all "Begone, peasant!"  Go figure.

It may be best if you find someone to lock the cats up overnight with them in their room. 

• Like 1