Menu

Are the Board Rules not applicable to Social Groups?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

am I missing something? I looked at the list and just see groups that are for all sorts of different homeschooling methods and for different worldviews and for countries and for different tastes in tv shows and whatever...a few humourous ones in there, like duct tape kids :lol: and stuff like that...I don't see any groups that seem to be 'not okay' in some fashion... ?

am I missing something? I looked at the list and just see groups that are for all sorts of different homeschooling methods and for different worldviews and for countries and for different tastes in tv shows and whatever...a few humourous ones in there, like duct tape kids :lol: and stuff like that...I don't see any groups that seem to be 'not okay' in some fashion... ?

I don't think the reference was to the nature or title of the groups themselves, but rather to the "content".

Oh, it's not the groups. I have no problem with any of the "groups". It's some of the posts that I take issue with. If someone posted a cartoon of a wiccan burning in h*ll or substituted the word "homosexual" for "Baptist" in the quote below, these posters would be screaming foul. That's why I asked if the Board rules apply to posts in the Social Groups.

Baptists. Ack. Southern Baptists. Double Ack.

or

... I don't know why but the reference to "Jesusland" cracks me up tonight. "I'd like one plane ticket to Ignorance, please."

Or how about this picture?

goodenoughforgeenuses.jpg

Well.... I could state the obvious.... Don't read groups that don't agree with your beliefs. One reason they are used is so that people can talk among themselves about something they agree on without causing squabbles.

I can agree the quotes are extremely offensive. But I'd rather not know what the secular liberal types talk about.

Well.... I could state the obvious.... Don't read groups that don't agree with your beliefs. One reason they are used is so that people can talk among themselves about something they agree on without causing squabbles.

I can agree the quotes are extremely offensive. But I'd rather not know what the secular liberal types talk about.

That's definitely an option, but, it doesn't answer my question about whether or not the Board rules apply.

I haven't looked and I'm not going to. If someone is being tacky, or rude or whatever, so what? They're showing their true colors, and what they say isn't hurting anyone but themselves.

Who gives a rat's patoot? Let em be ugly. Don't sink.

And of course the rules apply. They are just breaking them.

Laura --> ah, okay. I don't know what 'group' those are from or anything, but okay, I see that you're talking about specific content.

I'm a Christian, but stuff like that is just water off a duck for me - but everyone is different in what bothers them and I can understand that. :)

I would rather not have seen these. :(

I have to agree with this. I'd rather live in ignorance that all my imaginary friends love me for who I am, without making fun, than to see this. :sad:

I know there are many Christians who do not behave as Jesus taught, but I wish we wouldn't all be judged by them.

You know, it would never even cross my mind to try find something like that about non-Christians. I mean, why? I truly don't get it. Course my dh tells me I need to get out more; I'm naive. All the politics and religious nastiness is getting me down.

I'm going to go have another huge slice of pumpkin bread slathered with butter and see if I feel better.

Janet

I'm going to go have another huge slice of pumpkin bread slathered with butter

*drool* ...I love pumpkin flavoured everything! :D ...I was away for two and a half weeks and the place we stayed in had a Starbucks - we don't have one here and I'd never had anything of theirs... well, you don't want to know how many Pumpkin Spice Lattes I drank in those 2.5 weeks. Many. Too many. :lol:

Okay, I looked.

My opinion is we should drop this and not comment on it at all. Everyone has a right to their own opinions. There's no law against making fun of people either. I'd rather think we're all buddies too, but the truth is, we aren't. But some of us can be polite.

So, since we're proclaiming that we're Christians, just turn the other cheek ladies, and LET IT GO.

Wow. So sad how some feel the need to be so disrespectful of what to many is so precious.

If I was SWB I would delete some of those posts.

The Social Groups don't have any privacy at all, do they? Or can you set it to private when you set it up?

Okay, I looked.

My opinion is we should drop this and not comment on it at all. Everyone has a right to their own opinions. There's no law against making fun of people either. I'd rather think we're all buddies too, but the truth is, we aren't. But some of us can be polite.

So, since we're proclaiming that we're Christians, just turn the other cheek ladies, and LET IT GO.

Much wisdom from Remudamom.

Laura -->

I'm a Christian, but stuff like that is just water off a duck for me - but everyone is different in what bothers them and I can understand that. :)

Yup. First of all, if I know that I got offended by things like that, I shouldn't read social groups that I knew were going to have those views. Second, I just can not waste the mental energy to get upset when others mock me for any variety of my beliefs. I just scroll right by. Sometimes I even suppress a smile before I scroll on by. Life is too short to get upset at jokes at our expense.

And, I don't know the answer to the question about whether the rules apply to the social groups. They are probably a bit looser than on the main board.

So, I had to go look to find what you were talking about, but I couldn't figure it out until I came back here and read the "quotes" you included.

My understanding of the board rules is that you are not allowed to bash particular *other people* for their particular beliefs. "Don't attack another poster's background, religious convictions, experience, or parenting style. Above all, resist the one-liner subject-header put-down. Nasty cracks will be deleted. " (from Board rules, emphasis mine)

There was no particular poster who was singled out and attacked. In fact, I don't think a whole group was attacked. I think people were just discussing their experience and used words or phrases that you don't like. If people want to talk about their Secular or non-Christian homeschooling experience, not in regards to a particular poster here, that's what the Social Groups are for.

I agree with the other posters who said not to visit someplace with a different POV, especially if you don't have thick skin.

I think a majority of Americans know what "the Bible belt" is, and Jesusland is no different a term IMO. As for the poster, it looks like a pretty good joke to me! I could tell you some jokes about UUs...

Edited by Amy in NH

*hands out lattes to everyone*

So, anyone have any snow yet? :D

We got some yesterday (about 3 inches)! I love snow.

And while I was out running errands yesterday morning, I discovered CoffeeMate has out their Peppermint Mocha flavor already, so I'm enjoying that.

And I had a skinny Cinnamon Dulce Latte yesterday. Double Yum.

*sigh*. I'm avoiding the treadmill. I've got 24 minutes before my guys get up. I suppose I'll go do 20 minutes now (I've got 2.5 hours of Judo later, so it's a light cardio day here).

So, I had to go look to find what you were talking about, but I couldn't figure it out until I came back here and read the "quotes" you included.

My understanding of the board rules is that you are not allowed to bash particular *other people* for their particular beliefs. "Don't attack another poster's background, religious convictions, experience, or parenting style. Above all, resist the one-liner subject-header put-down. Nasty cracks will be deleted. " (from Board rules, emphasis mine)

There was no particular poster who was singled out and attacked. In fact, I don't think a whole group was attacked. I think people were just discussing their experience and used words or phrases that you don't like. If people want to talk about their Secular or non-Christian homeschooling experience, not in regards to a particular poster here, that's what the Social Groups are for.

I agree with the other posters who said not to visit someplace with a different POV, especially if you don't have thick skin.

I think a majority of Americans know what "the Bible belt" is, and Jesusland is no different a term IMO. As for the poster, it looks like a pretty good joke to me! I could tell you some jokes about UUs...

Uh, saying that a ticket to Jesusland is a ticket to ignorance IS offensive and insulting. There is no getting around that. I don't care to make a big deal about it, but I am not going to pretend that they are all "just kidding around with us, and we are all respectful friends, really". If I had any doubts about some of their true colors, I don't anymore. Oh well. And really, I already knew it anyway.

We got some yesterday (about 3 inches)! I love snow.

And while I was out running errands yesterday morning, I discovered CoffeeMate has out their Peppermint Mocha flavor already, so I'm enjoying that.

And I had a skinny Cinnamon Dulce Latte yesterday. Double Yum.

*sigh*. I'm avoiding the treadmill. I've got 24 minutes before my guys get up. I suppose I'll go do 20 minutes now (I've got 2.5 hours of Judo later, so it's a light cardio day here).

I love snow too - and being as that we're moving in a month to a place that gets lots of snow (and REALLY cold temps), that's a darn good thing. ;)

None here yet though - and prolly none before we move...but we'll land in snow no doubt..

I use those flavoured creamers too - not so sure I'd like the peppermint one...be a bit like drinking a candy cane? :lol:

Um, if you're gonna slam people around for 2.5 hours, I don't think you ought to growl at yourself for skipping the treadmill! :001_huh:

My skin is thick enough and I will not refrain from asking a valid question.

I'm sorry if anyone is saddened by this, but I think it's a valid question and while I'd love to think that despite our differences we can all respect each other, it simply isn't true in this case.

No sis, it isn't true in most cases. Note particularly Romans chapter 1:18-32.

:grouphug:

I'm not going to look as I know it will make me sad. I think Remudemom is right. We have to turn the other cheek. I was just reading these verses from Romans:

Rom. 12:14-21

14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep. 16 Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight. 17 Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all. 18 If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all. 19 Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave itto the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.†20 To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.†21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

It's tough to live out the gospel. This is an opportunity to take it to the Lord and leave it there. Jesus said, "Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me."

We have been extra blessed today!

Peace,

Warning...Pollyanna Glad Game..join in if you like...

I am actually thankful for these types of posts, no, I don't go out there seeking them, but you know what it does? It lets me know WHO I need to pray for and gives me a specific reason for praying for them. Some people are offended by the Darwin Fish on cars eating the Christian fish, I find hope in that now I KNOW who I should pray for specifically...so always try to find ways in which God can use this...He can use anything at anytime and anyone. So ladies, let's accept the mission and pray...

Tara

Which cheek(s) are you turning? ;)

Okay, I looked.

Well, I have to wonder what in the world anyone is doing snooping around in a group that is not for them.

I certainly wouldn't go to the "Jesus is God" or "We love McCain" private groups and then get mad at whatever they are saying.

I think if you are a christian snooping around in a secular group you are looking for trouble. Don't be so mad when you have found it.

If you want to say that non christians or anti-republican government folks are stupid and awful - and you do it in your own space - who cares. I've read those things on the main board!!!! (And quite a few "sigs" had some offending things!).

If you don't agree with the title of the group - don't go there.

It's that simple.

. . . her application of this rule to people attacking particular posters. She has expressly included put-downs of belief systems, political parties, religions, and genders.

There are very few people who believe that jokes at someone else's expense are wrong no matter who the "someone else" is. I'm one of those people. And I'm glad that SWB seems to be as well. I'm glad that this board is a place where "nasty cracks will be deleted" no matter who the object of the insult is.

The social groups are not private, and they're not on some other board. I can't fathom why their participants should imagine that different rules apply.

Honest question- Is it the words used in the examples posted, or the opinions those words express? Because, quite frankly, I fail to see the difference between Jesusland/Ignorance and true colors/must be prayed for.

The wording is undeniably different, but the opinions are equally clear.

Warning...Pollyanna Glad Game..join in if you like...

I am actually thankful for these types of posts, no, I don't go out there seeking them, but you know what it does? It lets me know WHO I need to pray for and gives me a specific reason for praying for them. Some people are offended by the Darwin Fish on cars eating the Christian fish, I find hope in that now I KNOW who I should pray for specifically...so always try to find ways in which God can use this...He can use anything at anytime and anyone. So ladies, let's accept the mission and pray...

Tara

Excellent point!

Well, I have to wonder what in the world anyone is doing snooping around in a group that is not for them.

I certainly wouldn't go to the "Jesus is God" or "We love McCain" private groups and then get mad at whatever they are saying.

I think if you are a christian snooping around in a secular group you are looking for trouble. Don't be so mad when you have found it.

If you want to say that non christians or anti-republican government folks are stupid and awful - and you do it in your own space - who cares. I've read those things on the main board!!!! (And quite a few "sigs" had some offending things!).

It's that simple.

Of course you think that, Karen. My question still hasn't been answered, yet.

Honest question- Is it the words used in the examples posted, or the opinions those words express? Because, quite frankly, I fail to see the difference between Jesusland/Ignorance and true colors/must be prayed for.

The wording is undeniably different, but the opinions are equally clear.

Jesusland/Ignorance is attacking religious beliefs, of a group of people with a wide range of actions and beliefs. True colors/must be prayed for is rightfully attacking a particular action of a particular person. HUGE DIFFERENCE!

And really, saying that Christians should pray for them is the nice thing to do. I will never understand why non-christians get so mad about that. The intent is that Christians are thinking good thoughts about the people they are praying for. That the people in the prayers are misguided and need help and understanding. If the belief was that they are evil beyond redemption, there would be no prayers left for them.

It's that simple.

Very well said Karen.

I love snow too - and being as that we're moving in a month to a place that gets lots of snow (and REALLY cold temps), that's a darn good thing. ;)

None here yet though - and prolly none before we move...but we'll land in snow no doubt..

I use those flavoured creamers too - not so sure I'd like the peppermint one...be a bit like drinking a candy cane? :lol:

Um, if you're gonna slam people around for 2.5 hours, I don't think you ought to growl at yourself for skipping the treadmill! :001_huh:

It's not that strong. Just a slight pepperminty flavor. You should try it :001_smile:.

Doing the treadmill on Judo days is more a matter of principle. I tend to be an all or nothing person (I'm working on this). I missed a day of exercising in high school and ended up missing 12 years and gained 100+ pounds. I spend 2006 and lost 80+ of those pounds and am afraid that missing a day of exercise will cause me to lose another decade. Logical, huh :001_huh:?

. . . "Social groups are the private properties of the participants, and the participants get to decide which of their hostess's rules they will follow."

Or even the one that says, "Private social groups with hidden posts are permitted."

The OP is not asking because someone is expressing controversial opinions. She's asking because people are using the social groups as an excuse to insult people with opinions that are unlike their own.

Never mind the "What if I made up a Non-Pagan Homeschoolers Group: For Anyone Who's Not a Wiccan, Neo-Pagan, Polytheist, or Animist?" argument. Let's just focus on the fact that the social groups are PUBLIC GROUPS on a forum with particular rules about what you can and can't say in public.

Never mind the "What if I made up a Non-Pagan Homeschoolers Group: For Anyone Who's Not a Wiccan, Neo-Pagan, Polytheist, or Animist?" argument. Let's just focus on the fact that the social groups are PUBLIC GROUPS on a forum with particular rules about what you can and can't say in public.

The boards have been bothering me quite a bit as of late, and I intend to start using the ignore feature for these things.

Jesusland/Ignorance is attacking religious beliefs, of a group of people with a wide range of actions and beliefs. True colors/must be prayed for is rightfully attacking a particular action of a particular person. HUGE DIFFERENCE!

And really, saying that Christians should pray for them is the nice thing to do. I will never understand why non-christians get so mad about that. The intent is that Christians are thinking good thoughts about the people they are praying for. That the people in the prayers are misguided and need help and understanding. If the belief was that they are evil beyond redemption, there would be no prayers left for them.

I understand the train of thought, but it simply doesn't consider the perspective of the person "in need of prayer." Which is why I ask whether it's the wording or if it is about expressing a lack of respect for another group's perspective

Ignorant, misguided, lack of understanding... they're the same thing.