Menu

Writer Seeking Stories About Science and Religion

Dinty_W

I am a writer (www.dintywmoore.com1) researching an article that explores America’s attitudes toward science and the various ways that belief in scientific conclusions may (or may not) be at odds with religious beliefs and teachings.

I am hoping to connect with people who distrust science, or those who feel conflicted about certain scientific opinions, based wholly or in part on their religious beliefs. I am also, however, looking for folks whose lives or occupations may exemplify the notion that our belief in science can agreeably coexist with religious beliefs.

I’m posting here inviting anyone who has an interesting story to tell to be in touch with me in the next month or so (before April 2017). I am specifically interested in connecting with folks who I might meet with for an hour or so, especially if you are in a one- or two-state drive from my Ohio base of operations (Ohio, PA, WVa, KY, Indiana)..

For illustrative purposes, but not to set limits, I could imagine talking with someone who works for an environmental cause yet attends a church where scientific claims about global climate change are questioned, or a high school science teacher who must negotiate the gap between religious teachings and scientific conclusions on a regular basis, or someone with faith-based concerns about the ethics of genetic science and/or GMOs. But really anyone, no matter profession or position, who might be willing to discuss how they feel about science and where scientific orthodoxy does or does not fit comfortably with their religious views.

Let me say clearly up front that it is not my intent to challenge or mock anyone or to argue with anyone’s convictions. My intent is to ask and listen, and where possible, illuminate reasoning that may seem inexplicable to some who hold different beliefs. I am happy to use only first names if the interviewee wishes that I do so.

If you think your story may be of relevance, please contact me at moored4@ohio.edu. Or if you can think of someone who might have an interesting story connected to this theme, pleas pass my information along.

Thanks in advance, Dinty W. Moore

I am not the person you're looking to meet, as we are a science family.  And we are not religious.

But this post and request on *this board* made me cringe.  

Is it because it's a homeschooling board that one would think this is the place to find people who are not science-minded?

• Like 3

what a way to insult people whose assistance you are seeking.

The gentleman said very clearly:

Let me say clearly up front that it is not my intent to challenge or mock anyone or to argue with anyone’s convictions. My intent is to ask and listen, and where possible, illuminate reasoning that may seem inexplicable to some who hold different beliefs. I am happy to use only first names if the interviewee wishes that I do so.

Perhaps you should extend the grace of taking him at his word?

• Like 2

The gentleman said very clearly:

Perhaps you should extend the grace of taking him at his word?

he came here expecting homeschoolers to be against science *because* of religion.  that reeks of ignorance about homeschooling - especially given the number of scientists or married to scientists (or parents of scientists) on this board.  but does hold with some of the prejudices against homeschooling I've found in the wider society.

eta: as well as the number of atheists on this board.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

I am not the person you're looking to meet, as we are a science family.  And we are not religious.

But this post and request on *this board* made me cringe.  

Is it because it's a homeschooling board that one would think this is the place to find people who are not science-minded?

This. ^^^

It sounds like you came here because you have an inaccurate idea of what homeschoolers are like.

• Like 4

I would bet a lot (lot) of money that the percentage of homeschoolers who distrust science for religious reasons is higher than the percentage of the general population who do so.  

A poster new to this forum may not be aware that it is not all that religious for a homeschooling forum.  Most are.

• Like 4

I am a conservative Christian. I don't distrust science. Your presuppositions about religious homeschoolers is wrong- at least for the vast majority of posters I know on this board. If you start out with wrong presuppositions before even doing your research then you will wind up with wrong conclusions. That is bad journalism and bad science.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I am a conservative Christian. I don't distrust science. Your presuppositions about religious homeschoolers is wrong- at least for the vast majority of posters I know on this board. If you start out with wrong presuppositions before even doing your research then you will wind up with wrong conclusions. That is bad journalism and bad science.

Yes, I assume many in that category wouldn't want to post here.

But you all have to admit that the percentage of homeschoolers who don't trust science for religious reasons, *OR* who have incorporated scientific and religious beliefs into a cohesive worldview, and who have thought about it seriously, has to be higher here than say on a forum for motorcylers, or knitters, or something.

And if this were your run of the mill homeschooling forum, it would be much higher.  So I don't think the OP is all that crazy to pose the question here.

• Like 6

:iagree:

I'm a christian, but I have also always loved science.  I have a daughter who has a doc in science.  (her undergrads are biology and chemistry).    my son referred to my love of science and the exposure I gave  to  him in his college application essay.  (engineering - astronautics specifically.)

Ah, I see!  I had never heard of this canned beef stew.

lucky you.  

• Like 1

In defense of the OP, they probably read on this very board one or many of the contentious anti-science (climate change deniers, YE/anti-evolution, etc.) threads in doing their research. If I were researching where to find people who believed x to interview them, and did a google search and came across a forum where many people do believe x and argued strongly for it, it would be a logical place to start asking for interviewees.

Geesh. Give the guy or gal a break.

• Like 9

But you all have to admit that the percentage of homeschoolers who don't trust science for religious reasons, *OR* who have incorporated scientific and religious beliefs into a cohesive worldview, and who have thought about it seriously, has to be higher here than say on a forum for motorcylers, or knitters, or something.

And if this were your run of the mill homeschooling forum, it would be much higher.  So I don't think the OP is all that crazy to pose the question here.

I would bet it isn't higher.  But it's not a terrible idea to ask here either.  There might be some who would fit the bill.

he came here expecting homeschoolers to be against science *because* of religion.  that reeks of ignorance about homeschooling - especially given the number of scientists or married to scientists (or parents of scientists) on this board.  but does hold with some of the prejudices against homeschooling I've found in the wider society.

eta: as well as the number of atheists on this board.

Honestly: this board is the only place where I ever met people who distrust science, believe the Earth is 6,000 years old and and evolution is "just a theory". It is this board where I met people who are afraid of their microwave.

I do not encounter such people IRL - I only encounter them on this homeschool board.

So, if I had reason to look for these people, it is exactly where I would be looking.

(Now, I am sure that of many hs boards, this might be the one with the smallest fraction these people, but still. He has a point.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

Honestly: this board is the only place where I ever met people who distrust science, believe the Earth is 6,000 years old and and evolution is "just a theory". It is this board where I met people who are afraid of their microwave.

I do not encounter such people IRL - I only encounter them on this homeschool board.

So, if I had reason to look for these people, it is exactly where I would be looking.

(Now, I am sure that of many hs boards, this might be the one with the smallest fraction these people, but still. He has a point.

Wow.  I see just as much, if not more, in the high school where I teach (among kids - and by assumption - from parents of those kids).

Ditto that with Essential Oils, distrusting gov't and/or media, anti-vax, hmm, have I missed anything?

I see far more who are interested in healthy eating on this board than IRL, but that might be because they speak up on here (exception for gluten-free).  I don't know anyone who is against cupcakes or sweet treats for kids, etc, IRL, and boxed mac & cheese, frozen pizzas, and poptarts always seem to sell well in the grocery stores.  Whole grains do not.

That's the major difference I see between this board and what I see IRL.

• Like 1