Menu

WWYD (rabies/unknown rabies status)

StaceyinLA

We had a cat wander up here last night. My husband carried it inside to show me. It is very friendly, and obviously someone's pet (although I don't know if it came from around here, or rode up here in my dd's van from around her house, or what).

It was being friendly so I was petting it, and I noticed the tummy area felt quite tight, so I just thought I'd see if it was a male or female. It wound up biting me on the hand. It wasn't a super aggressive bite, but it did break the skin. I didn't realize it at first, but when I did, I cleaned it with peroxide and washed with warm soapy water. It looks more like the cat caught my skin and scraped its teeth across, leaving a "scratch" versus a puncture type wound.

Obviously I don't know the cat. I'm going to call my vet when they open and discuss this with them, but what would you do in this situation? I know the cat needs to be monitored for 10 days, and I wouldn't mind keeping it here, but I'm afraid it will run off if not confined (and I'm not sure I have the means to confine it easily for 10 days).

How afraid would you be about rabies exposure?

Definitely check the rabies occurrence possibility in your area, but it sounds like a "natural" bite, so I wouldn't worry too much unless rabies were common.  I worry a lot more when the animal is acting unnaturally or is aggressive or "dumb."

https://www.cdc.gov/rabies/location/usa/surveillance/

Your vet should have up to date info too.

• Like 2

Well everything I'm reading says to observe the animal for 10 days, and if they are okay, then they couldn't have transmitted rabies. Apparently they only have it in the saliva for 4-5 days before becoming symptomatic, and it can't be transmitted before it is in the saliva.

Part of me wants to just do the shots, but then there is the more reasonable part that says the protocol has been in place a long time, and it works, so just stick with that. I'm sure the shots aren't without risk; it's just weighing that against the likelihood of contracting rabies and dying. Ugh.

Call poison control in your state, they are the experts on rabies. If you have the cat, keep it for ten days. It is much, much less inconvenient and less expensive to find a way to keep it for ten days than having to go through rabies shots. Even if you have to take the cat to animal control for them to observe for ten days. Do not try to find the owner and trust them to keep it inside. They may not take it seriously, feel sorry for the cat and let it outside anyways. If the cat then disappears within the ten days, you will be the one getting rabies shots at that point, not the owner.

Cat bites always have the potential to be serious, even when rabies isn't an issue. I would just suck it up and go to the doctor. You can ask their advice on the rabies issue when you get there.

This. My sister ended up on some wickedly-strong antibiotics for a nasty infection after her own, vaccinated, indoor-only since birth cat bit her when she was trying to wash a sore or give him a pill or something (I don't remember the full details on what she was forcing him to do for his own good).

• Like 2

In my area, the cat would be quarantined for the ten days at a veterinary facility.  If the cat lives, you're good to go. Here the local Public Health is where the administration of rabies shots happens, unless your series of shots falls over the weekend, then it's done at the ER. 

I have a very healthy respect of rabies, so for me, the cat would be quarantined where there is no chance it could escape. 

• Like 1

I would absolutely see a doctor TODAY.

First off, cat bites are very prone to infection. 

Second off, cat bites to the HAND are the very, very worst kinds. Super prone to infection and super prone to do very serious damage. You MUST start an appropriate antibiotic NOW.

Third off. many times, cat bites get so severely infected they require in patient treatment with IV antibiotics. Catch it IMMEDIATELY and get on a good ABX, and you can probably avoid that.

Fourth off, rabies is SERIOUS. You MUST contact animal control and follow the protocol they recommend. Most likely, the first step will be get the cat TODAY into a vet or shelter and check for a microchip. If you are very lucky, the cat will be chipped and then you can track down rabies vaccination info and avoid having to get prophylaxis injections. 

Fifth, if you can't get confirmation of up to date rabies vaccination in the cat, you REALLY REALLY should get the full course of rabies vaccinations (prophylaxis). In general, these are handled by health departments. 

DO NOT DELAY and DO NOT LOSE THE CAT. 

CONTACT your own doctor, the health department, and animal control. TODAY, ALL THREE.

If you have a good relationship with a vet, you can call them and they can walk you through the process in your locality. 

Dh is a vet . . . and I know just enough about rabies that I am 100% certain that in your shoes, I would absolutely demand to start PEP (post exposure prophylaxis) within 24 hours if you cannot confirm current rabies vaccination status on the cat. It is a small risk that you'll get rabies from this bite. But it is a 99.9999% risk that you will die if you do get it. 

Edited by StephanieZ
  • Like 8

If I were you, I would call the Dept of Health to report it and get myself to the nearest ER for the first shot of the rabies vaccine series.  I've been through it before after exposure to a bat (actually...I've been through it 3 times...long story) and it's not that big of a deal.  The biggest hassle is waiting in the ER.  In my area, you have to go to the ER for the shot because the vaccine is so expensive that doctor's offices do not stock it.  

The first shot should be administered within the first 24 hours of exposure, per the CDC.  The vaccine series schedule is easily to follow and the shots are not painful and have minimal potential side effects.  It takes 2 weeks to complete the shot schedule and if the kitty isn't showing signs of the disease at the end of the 10 days of observation, then you don't have to finish the shots.  You don't want to mess around with rabies.  Waiting to get your first shot until after the 10 days might not be in your best interest.  Your doctor and the Dept. Of Health can help you decide.

The first time that I was exposed, I was also 9 months pregnant and reluctant to get the shots.  My OB reminded me that rabies is always fatal and that it would do no good to worry about the vaccine exposure to the unborn baby if the mother (me) died.  That did it for me.  There has been one case of someone surviving rabies exposure, but they actually don't know if the person survived longterm.  She just survived the initial acute response, which is horrific as the disease attacks your central nervous system.  Apparently, after the woman left the hospital, they lost track of her.

So sorry this happened to you!!

Edited by jjeepa
  • Like 3

Frankly I wouldn't chance it all. Get to a doctor for antibiotics and the shot.

We have rabies in our area, and it's horrible. Unless I 100% knew the history of the cat, I would assume the worst. From what I've been told, earlier is always better with the shots.

• Like 1

I'll be the one that says otherwise - from what your described, I wouldn't take any action.

Yeah, maybe I'd get rabies and die - but getting a partial scratch/bite from a friendly cat wouldn't phase me for a second to worry about it.

It wouldn't even cross my mind to think I should take action. It can be pointed out that is an ignorant approach, but just honestly stating what would happen if it were me.

• Like 4

I'll be the one that says otherwise - from what your described, I wouldn't take any action.

Yeah, maybe I'd get rabies and die - but getting a partial scratch/bite from a friendly cat wouldn't phase me for a second to worry about it.

It wouldn't even cross my mind to think I should take action. It can be pointed out that is an ignorant approach, but just honestly stating what would happen if it were me.

For some reason having to do with the shape of the teeth, cat bites - even partial ones - really do have a high risk of serious infection. No matter how friendly the cat, or how shallow the wound.

OP, I obviously can't make you go to the doctor, but please - at the very least, if it shows any sign of infection, go to the doctor.

I would have washed it well, dabbed on a bit of antibiotic ointment, gone on my way and forgotten about it.

But I've worked in rescue way too long to get upset about a "bite" that doesn't even sound like a bite at all. Sure if there were puncture wounds I'd have followed the above procedure and kept a close eye on it for signs of infection. But the odds of a friendly cat transmitting rabies--even in our area where rabies in the wildlife population is very much a thing--no, I wouldn't worry about it.

ETA: Of course the odds are extremely high that if you call anyone about it (health department, animal control or your doctor) they'll tell you to go get the shots. Because liability. That is unless you happen to live in my county, where the AC is well known for asking people who are sure they have a rabid wild animal around "Can you just shoot it and bury it?" I kid you not.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 7

I would have washed it well, dabbed on a bit of antibiotic ointment, gone on my way and forgotten about it.

But I've worked in rescue way too long to get upset about a "bite" that doesn't even sound like a bite at all. Sure if there were puncture wounds I'd have followed the above procedure and kept a close eye on it for signs of infection. But the odds of a friendly cat transmitting rabies--even in our area where rabies in the wildlife population is very much a thing--no, I wouldn't worry about it.

ETA: Of course the odds are extremely high that if you call anyone about it (health department, animal control or your doctor) they'll tell you to go get the shots. Because liability. That is unless you happen to live in my county, where the AC is well known for asking people who are sure they have a rabid wild animal around "Can you just shoot it and bury it?" I kid you not.

Same here with response and why.

And around here "just shoot it and bury it" (letting the neighbors know) is standard protocol - mainly because no one wants farm quarantines.  (It's not the legally accepted protocol.)

When one lives in an area where rabies can be common, it's very important to keep all critters current on their shots, but even then, in the OP's situation, I wouldn't worry at all personally and would only see a Dr myself if it looked like it was getting infected.  Antibiotic ointment on the wound itself (after cleaning) would be standard.  We have it in our medicine cabinet.  I, personally, have never had an infection from any critter bite, but then again, I learned at a young age how to care for bites properly so that might make a difference.

• Like 3

The risk of rabies transmission in a domesticated, friendly cat is bizzarely low. Aggressive possum, coon, and skunk - particularly skunk in our area - are the more common culprits. Cases in our county averages 11 a year which is high but our coon and skunk population is far too high. There was a horse with rabies here last year that got it from tangling with an aggressive skunk in the pasture so the owners had to take the shots just in case. Still it for a cat bite I would bot take the shots.

• Like 1

The first series of shots (the immunoglobulin, or whatever you call it) can be extremely painful.  DH was bitten by a bat 2 years ago on the toe and said it was quite painful (possibly because they kept putting the fluid into an already full-of-fluid toe?  not sure).

Edited by ananemone

The first series of shots (the immunoglobulin, or whatever you call it) can be extremely painful.  DH was bitten by a bat 2 years ago on the toe and said it was quite painful (possibly because they kept putting the fluid into an already full-of-fluid toe?  not sure).

I don't remember it being all that painful. That said, I only got it because it was on the recommended vaccine list for extended travel to rural Thailand, so not sure if that's the same. I do remember foaming at the mouth. That was, eh, different.

Edited by luuknam

I don't remember it being all that painful. That said, I only got it because it was on the recommended vaccine list for extended travel to rural Thailand, so not sure if that's the same. I do remember foaming at the mouth. That was, eh, different.

If you are getting vaccinated for travel to an area with a high incidence of rabies you get just the vaccine, not the immunoglobulin; that is given only for post exposure prophylaxis.

Edited by maize
  • Like 2

Oh, additionally, if you have ever had the rabies vaccine in the past you are not supposed to get the immunoglobulin dose in a case of known or suspected rabies exposure; you just get a booster vaccine (can't remember if that is just one dose or more). Immunoglobulin shots are only for people who have never been vaccinated for rabies in the past.

This is what I would do too.  It actually would never have even occurred to me to get a rabies shot.  Not saying I'm right or wrong, but that's how I would handle it.

• Like 3

Thanks for all the input! I talked with the vet school, a local vet, and my doctor yesterday. I also spoke with animal control, but it's in a different parish and they'll do nothing for me.

I've had the cat confined since Sunday night in a large, wire dog kennel, but I'm going to bring it on to the vet today for them to keep it the remainder of the 10 days (I may let them keep it 10, which would be 12 from bite time). The vet told me the protocol of waiting 10 days to monitor the animal has been in place for years, and no one has ever gotten rabies from waiting the 10 days and starting shots at that time if needed. I looked up some data regarding our state, and that is definitely what I'm seeing as protocol for a bite when you have the animal to monitor.

As far as the wound itself, my doctor said just to watch it for any signs of infection. I cleaned it really well (peroxide, then soap and water, then rubbing alcohol), and there is no redness or anything around it.

Honestly I know the risk is likely very low for rabies because this cat exhibits ZERO odd behaviors. Even the vet school resident told me it would likely have some weird aversions to things like light, water, people, etc. in the very early stages. The cat is friendly, eating and drinking, etc. The bite wasn't unprovoked either (apparently he/she just didn't want to be touched on the underside, which is pretty common with cats). I am still concerned enough to not just blow it off; I'm definitely going to make sure the cat is monitored. After it passes the 10 - 12 days, they'll vaccinate it and I'll bring it back here.

Of course all of this could change if I bring it in and it has a chip and they find an owner, or if the vet happens to recognize it or anything like that.

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 4