Menu

update on me

ktgrok

I think I posted a while ago about mood stuff and pregnancy. Well.it got worse. Until one day I just about broke down crying in the grocery store for no reason. And then got home and couldn't face leaving the house again even to pick up the supplements my midwife wanted me on, that I'd never gotten around to taking. Sigh. I finally told my husband how I was feeling, and he went and got them for me. 

I told my midwife, and she is concerned, not enough to refer to a psych yet for meds, but enough that she is watching me closely. I started the 5Htp, and increased D and added in fish oil and my methylated B vitamins. I think it is helping. Also, she has me resting more. I was pushing myself physically, and she said maybe that was taking it's toll mentally. I need to do less, and accept that. 

Unfortunatley, that's hard to do when nesting!!! And I've felt like I'm moving through quicksand. Nothing seems to get done, and yet I spend all day long doing it.And my writing..ugh. So little writing. 

I DO think the vitamins or the 5-Htp are helping, as I've had a few good days. Today started out good, but then I was exhausted, and my allergies are awful which is NOT helping the brain fog. I got up and did laundry, then went to Costco to get an extra set of sheets (planning a homebirth, and need to have extra sheets), then Target to get a pack and play and sheets for it, and another nursing bra so I'm set there, then came home and just realized I did NOT want to get back in the car and drive my son to his college classes. I sent him in an uber instead, set up the pack and play, and then crashed on my bed. 

And then I emailed my agent and my editor and admitted what was going on, and that I wouldn't make my dealing. ugh. I hate contacting people (introvert to the max) so sent one email to both to make it easier on me. Waiting to hear back. 

I do have a plan. Aside from supplements, etc, I'm just cutting back on everything. I'm going to delegate. I hired a cleaning lady to come this Friday for 2 hours to clean my bathroom and whatever else there is time for and then will have her come every week or so for general cleaning. I taught my 6 yr old to vacuum this week, and they can sort of mop with a Swiffer wet pad. I picked up paper plates, plastic cups, and forks/spoons. I'm working to get more sleep. I had a really good day when I got 9 hours of sleep. Then I got 7 and felt like crap. 8 hours seems to be my absolute minimum, nd last night I was just short of that. 

We skipped kids activities last week, but are doing them this week I guess. American Heritage Girls last night, and tonight is church class for the 6 yr old. 

Anyway....waiting to hear back from the editor, and trying to be kind to myself. 

• Like 9

have you ever had your thyroid and adrenals checked?  pregnancy changes things. sometimes . . a lot.

they can cause brain fog, wanting to cry, anxiety, fatigue, etc.

free t3

free t4

reverse t3

24 hour cortisol.

I just emailed my midwife to see if we can run those when we do my lab work next week. Thanks for the suggestion. Trying to think of things, and do them, is just so hard right now. 

I need to plan my daughter's birthday part and ugh...I just can't. But she wants one. 

• Like 1

What are you eating?  I wonder if lower histamines would help your allergies?  Eating more histamines always makes me drag and be more emotional.  When I avoid leftover meat and aged cheese and any aged protein I feel less allergic.

Any way you can eat some chai tea with cinnamon & ginger, and maybe have either curry or chicken noodle soup with turmeric for dinner?

ETA:  the cinnamon, ginger, and turmeric are all anti-inflammatory.  And I wouldn't make the assumption about histamines except that I know since we both need methylated vitamins the histamines might affect you too.  They seem to go hand in hand.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

Did they actually test your B12 levels?  I'd want iron, B12, D, and folate levels tested.  If you are really low, you may need some injections.  The pill form might not be enough to get you through.  

yes, all are at a good level. B12 and Folate are well above normal, and D had dropped from 50 down to 35, so I've increased my supplement for that again. (I'd stopped spending time outside during the Zika scare, but have been making sure I get more sunshine as well now that that is mainly passed). In fact, B12 was so good that I dropped down my supplementing. But, lab values or no lab values, I feel better when I take more, so we are now dosing based on how I feel, not on what the lab tests show. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

What are you eating?  I wonder if lower histamines would help your allergies?  Eating more histamines always makes me drag and be more emotional.  When I avoid leftover meat and aged cheese and any aged protein I feel less allergic.

Any way you can eat some chai tea with cinnamon & ginger, and maybe have either curry or chicken noodle soup with turmeric for dinner?

ETA:  the cinnamon, ginger, and turmeric are all anti-inflammatory.  And I wouldn't make the assumption about histamines except that I know since we both need methylated vitamins the histamines might affect you too.  They seem to go hand in hand.

I don't even know what I'm eating. Too many donuts, lol?

I have been eating more cheese, but not more than say, months ago when I felt fine. Nothing really different. 

But I do have some chai, I'll have some tonight. 

Hugs! I'm sorry this is worsening for you. I had pretty bad prenatal depression with #5 and nothing seemed to help except a supplement. His birth was such a relief because it improved for me within maybe three days of delivery. Whew!

Edited by Arctic Mama

Perhaps DD can help you plan her birthday?  Or go with Dad to the party supply store and pick out stuff herself?

She can. But she's awful bout making making decisions, lol, so that doesn't really help. I'm looking at JoAnn Fabrics, they do a party with craft and cupcake decorating for $125. Much cheaper than the gymnastics place we usually use, which upped it's price to $300! 

I'd love to just do a park, but DH worries about weather, so that's out. 

Oh, and NOT helping is that my puppy got sick, and the antibiotics he is on have a side effect of increased thirst and urination. And he's not fully housebroken. Yeah.....that's sucking right now. I've cleaned up more pee in the last two days than I ever wanted to in my life. And he was crated too long as a puppy, so he will pee in his crate, on his bed in the living room, etc. 

AND he feels better now, but still is contagious so no dog park until tomorrow. so he's driving me NUTS. 

I just emailed my midwife to see if we can run those when we do my lab work next week. Thanks for the suggestion. Trying to think of things, and do them, is just so hard right now. 

I need to plan my daughter's birthday part and ugh...I just can't. But she wants one. 

Yes, I'm normally hypothroid but during pregnancy it gets much worse and is hard to tweak.  

JoAnn's sounds like a lovely party. There's always Monkey Joe's,(if still in business) but I think that they're probably as pricey as the gymnastics place.  YMCA's often do birthday parties, as does the zoo.

Odd as it may seem, you might see if writing will help your mood any. I find that when I'm going too many directions at once, and burning out before I can focus my creativity on my writing, I end up pretty miserable in a hurry. It's almost as if I need to be able to spend my creativity on something very important just for me, and if I don't have that opportunity, I'm grouchy, and pretty soon that passes to depressed.

I strongly agree with delegating everything, cutting back all activities, and resting. And let your DH plan that birthday party. 

• Like 1

I should add that par to the issue with delegating to DH is he works one very full time job, then will be teaching at the college two nights a week this month, plus is in a masters program, plus created and headed up an online privacy workshop he taught last weekend, plus runs a monthly information security meet up down town, plus I'm sure I'm forgetting something. Plus vendor dinners, etc. So..he's not around a lot. 

:grouphug:

Have you been exposed to a cold?  I've noticed the one that's going around here seems to include a day or two of being sad before having other symptoms.

Not that I know of, but this has been going on longer than that...at least a month, really building up for several months. 

SaveSave

The way you talk about how you feel sounds very much like the prenatal depression I had.  It was nothing crazy, but it was definitely different than my normal, and more...well, depressing.  What I liked to do best was crawl under the blankets in the bedroom with the lights off and plug my ears with my fingers so I couldn't hear or see anything.  It took me a couple of weeks at least to realize that that was not actually all that healthy or normal, but once I realized what was happening it was easier to manage.  

The fish oil helped me some too - I had been inside for months.  But what helped most was a change in hormones - it lessened by about 90% when I hit the second trimester and then the rest of it went away after I delivered.  The OB told me to be on the lookout for PPD, though, as they are correlated.  

I also had GD, which complicated the issue as I had absolutely zero energy while on the GD diet (and it turned out my sugars were constantly quite quite low - mid 60s was not rare).  

I also had to turn the business over to DH largely (the same as your telling your agent and editor you wouldn't make your deadlines).  He was very kind about it and just did twice the work for a few months.  I think there's enough awareness about pregnancy-related depression that it is treated as a valid medical concern these days, which is good.

I'm sorry you're not feeling any better, though!  JoAnns sounds like a great party - DD11 would have loved that as a kid.  We were always too poor (and now we're too cheap) to do anything except cake and ice cream at home.

Katie, right there with ya, all except the preggo part.  Mine is related to menopause, I'm sure, and just found out I have one MTHFR gene, so PoDiaPN for me.  (At least until I do my own research.)

The whole "sad before sickness" thing has also been going around here, too.

If I can just stay away from the flu virus, I'll be happy!

Thinking of /praying for for you and the little one.

Edited by Halftime Hope

You are pregnant. Just saying.  :leaving:    Look at your post. You said you had a really good day with nine hours of sleep. It sounds like you need more sleep at night and probably a rest/nap in the afternoon. Your whole schedule may need to be evaluated and changes made. You knew it would change with a new baby. It just hit sooner than your expected. :D  You've got this!  

• Like 1