Menu

OMG talk me down!!!

SparklyUnicorn

Just looked at the syllabus for my class (starts tomorrow).  They use some sort of software to do math problems.  I hit the roof.  I just started getting used to the calculator.  :lol:

I have started reading the book and every time I come to a problem or concept I think OMG I CAN'T DO THIS.  Wait...yes...yes I can do this.  This is nothing new.....I know this.  I ACTUALLY know this.

Why am I such a case?!

• Like 11

Software to solve problems? Oh man now I feel old! That is a new one on me. I did for statistics but never regular math class.

But I believe in you Sparkly! Unicorns can do anything! You'll be great. Now have some bacon and come down out of the tree.

It will be fine. You will be fine. The point of the class is to learn how to do the problems in the book, not know how to do them before -otherwise, taking the class would be  waste of time.

Just for some perspective:

it is the first day of the new semester for me, too. I feel like "I can't possible do this. I have forgotten how".

I'm the instructor. For a course I have been teaching for 15 years.

• Like 19

All of our ds' college math classes have required a software package. 

Please don't hesitate to look for the tutoring center on campus (worth the effort) to get early help.

But honestly, the instructor wants you to succeed, so just try not to feel like you're the ONLY one who is overwhelmed.

You may even find a kindred spirit (fellow classmate) who you can work together with.

It's a good challenge to face!  :-)

• Like 1

Can I just share a tip I learned with my son's college class?  If there is a problem you just don't understand, you can google a generic question related to the problem and more often than not, there is someone who has posted a full solution to a very similar problem.

• Like 3

<snip>

Just for some perspective:

it is the first day of the new semester for me, too. I feel like "I can't possible do this. I have forgotten how".

I'm the instructor. For a course I have been teaching for 15 years.

Every.single.semester.

This semester is particularly grueling as I am using OER materials for the first time and I have a cyber student. This is also my first semester doing long distance learning with a robot. The student controls the bot and it moves around the classroom.

• Like 3

Can I just share a tip I learned with my son's college class?  If there is a problem you just don't understand, you can google a generic question related to the problem and more often than not, there is someone who has posted a full solution to a very similar problem.

Oh yes!  Kids these days have no idea how good they have it.  It was not that easy when I went to school.

Every.single.semester.

This semester is particularly grueling as I am using OER materials for the first time and I have a cyber student. This is also my first semester doing long distance learning with a robot. The student controls the bot and it moves around the classroom.

Whoa, that sounds so interesting!

:iagree: This should be a thread.  Just because.

• Like 1

Every.single.semester.. This is also my first semester doing long distance learning with a robot. The student controls the bot and it moves around the classroom.

Please tell us more about this! So basically, the student sends a robot to class instead of going himself? What does the robot do, I mean, why does it move around? Do you have hands on activities?

So, so, cool!

• Like 1

I'm in a similar boat, taking a statistics class this semester. I was prepared on the first day, with my outrageously expensive book that came with an online math lab code, listed as required for the class. I get to class and the teacher announces she's decided not to use any of that. We are using a free online textbook. I look around and 90 percent of the students didn't have a book, like they expected something like this to happen. It was the old people who had books, lol.

Then I had to get my son to show me how to return my 160 dollar Amazon purchase (cheaper than the school price) to get a refund. I thank my lucky stars that I hadn't scratched off the covering on the code yet. I learned some valuable life lessons.

Hope your semester goes well!

• Like 2

All of our ds' college math classes have required a software package. 

Please don't hesitate to look for the tutoring center on campus (worth the effort) to get early help.

But honestly, the instructor wants you to succeed, so just try not to feel like you're the ONLY one who is overwhelmed.

You may even find a kindred spirit (fellow classmate) who you can work together with.

It's a good challenge to face!  :-)

This.  My first math class at the CC was purely online - no book to even refer to.  Drove me NUTS!  I *need* to be able to flip through pages, look at formulas, etc.  It was a disaster honestly.  I ended up withdrawing.  Took another class last semester with a BOOK.  I will deal with it, eventually, but it was not a fun experience.

On the other hand, DS had MathLab last semester.  This semester, discussing whether to buy just the MathLab access or the full package (to include a printed book) he didnt WANT the print copy.  

Generation gap? ;)

• Like 2

. I look around and 90 percent of the students didn't have a book, like they expected something like this to happen. It was the old people who had books, lol.

OMG, this is DD.  This is only her second semester in CC, and she said, I really need to wait until the first day mom.  I was freaking out, because how do you show up WITHOUT YOUR BOOKS?  Change is stressful.

• Like 2