Menu

I'm worried

Lawana

Dd20 is in the ER near her home several states away. Her boyfriend took her there because she was "loopy" and thought her blood sugar might be dropping rapidly. (She is diabetic) Presenting symptoms nausea and weakness. I talked to a nurse about an hour ago who had just come on duty and could only read me notes from her chart. Not particularly helpful. They are sending her for a brain CT scan??? Didn't have any blood work results yet. Couldn't tell me why they needed the scan.

I hate not being there. I hate not knowing what is going on.

• Like 1

Did he check her blood sugar? Do they know any numbers? You must feel so helpless. So sorry! 😢

It had been high this morning, and was 101 before leaving her house. 80 at the ER. Uncharacteristicly good. She tends to run high.

She had a dka episode earlier this year, so yeah, that is where my mind goes. But this seems different. I would love to hear some test results.

I'm glad she's on her way home! My heart goes out to you. I am petrified of the day my diabetic moves out on her own and has to manage her diabetes all on her own. 😢 Sounds like her boyfriend is a pretty good support system, though.

Let me tell you, it is much harder than I thought. Back when I was in charge and monitoring, her highest A1c was a 7.4, and 95% of the time in the 6's. The habits did not exactly carry over. I don't know where I went wrong.

Let me tell you, it is much harder than I thought. Back when I was in charge and monitoring, her highest A1c was a 7.4, and 95% of the time in the 6's. The habits did not exactly carry over. I don't know where I went wrong.

You didn't go wrong, kids just aren't programmable.

• Like 2

You didn't go wrong, kids just aren't programmable.

Agreed.  

And probably what was taught is still in there.  Kids need time to percolate on things and decide what paths in life they want to follow.  Sometimes they end up following the path you hoped for and sometimes they don't but a lot of times they just need a bit of time to see for themselves.  

I'm hypoglycemic.  When I headed out into the world I had heard over and over how to manage my blood sugar levels.  I still needed to figure a lot of it out on my own anyway.  Having that base did help but I think most kids go through a phase of thinking their parents don't know as much as they think they do and that I have a better grasp of what I need than they do, etc.  Plus learning the best way to balance health and living independently can take time.  Mom isn't there as the safety net to fill in where needed.  

• Like 3

Agreed.

And probably what was taught is still in there. Kids need time to percolate on things and decide what paths in life they want to follow. Sometimes they end up following the path you hoped for and sometimes they don't but a lot of times they just need a bit of time to see for themselves.

I'm hypoglycemic. When I headed out into the world I had heard over and over how to manage my blood sugar levels. I still needed to figure a lot of it out on my own anyway. Having that base did help but I think most kids go through a phase of thinking their parents don't know as much as they think they do and that I have a better grasp of what I need than they do, etc. Plus learning the best way to balance health and living independently can take time. Mom isn't there as the safety net to fill in where needed.

Thank you for that. Helpful to hear.
  • Like 1

This is my fear. honestly, I don't think you could have done anything to change it. I NAG ds15 to check his bs all the time. I loathe nagging but I have to. I worry about when he's out on his own, what he's going to do...

The thing is, she was always so compliant when I was directing things, and seemed to understand what needed to be done. Didn't need to be nagged or even reminded much. Then bam.