Menu

It's our first holiday season without my FIL

AimeeM

Sometimes the pain of missing him is so intense it feels like a literal punch to the chest. If it hurts me this badly, I can't even imagine how badly DH - his son - is hurting.

We took the kids to Orlando and then West Palm (Universal and then visiting with friends) over the Thanksgiving holidays to get everyone's mind off it, but this Christmas is going to be hard. Really, really hard. We always spent the holiday season traveling to see him - either Christmas or Thanksgiving - for a couple weeks. Sometimes I just barely catch myself before asking DH if he called Dad on his way home from work (DH typically called his father every day during his drive home) that day or if anyone had checked on Dad that day. 

I know somewhat how you feel.   This will be our first Christmas without FIL, and only our 2nd Christmas without MIL.   FIL had dementia for almost 20 years, so the relationship was obviously deteriorated because of his mental capacity, but it's still hard.   I really miss MIL around Christmas, because she took so much joy in making it special for her kids and grandkids.   We also took a vacation and did something totally new and different for the week of Thanksgiving this year.

My dh passed away suddenly in September and I so dread Christmas.  Thanksgiving was very tough for all of us, and I can't even imagine what Christmas will be like.  My youngest is 13.  We are starting to decorate for Christmas to try and keep up our normal traditions.  We are trying to think of things to make it a little different.  My 13 you asked me yesterday when I was going to start making Christmas cookies, as I usually make lots.  I hadn't even really thought of it before he asked.  If it was up to me, I think I would just forget Christmas this year, but am trying to keep up my spirits for the kids.  This is so incredibly hard.

My dh passed away suddenly in September and I so dread Christmas.  Thanksgiving was very tough for all of us, and I can't even imagine what Christmas will be like.  My youngest is 13.  We are starting to decorate for Christmas to try and keep up our normal traditions.  We are trying to think of things to make it a little different.  My 13 you asked me yesterday when I was going to start making Christmas cookies, as I usually make lots.  I hadn't even really thought of it before he asked.  If it was up to me, I think I would just forget Christmas this year, but am trying to keep up my spirits for the kids.  This is so incredibly hard.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 2

This is our first holiday season without my mom.  We usually go to my in-laws for Thanksgiving but we went to my dad's because I couldn't stand the thought of him in the empty house.  

My mom was diagnosed with cancer on January 6th and passed away on February 14th.  I keep thinking, "Last year at this time they cancelled their annual trip to Monterey to see us, because Mom wasn't feeling well.  I wonder if things would have been different if she had gone to the doctor right away?"  

Later they cancelled meeting us 1/2 way for Boxing Day (another tradition.)  On January 3rd I told my husband something was very wrong and we had to go to visit them so we loaded up the kids & the presents & drove to their house to surprise Grammie with Christmas.  I stayed and didn't go home until after she was gone and that was the last time my kids saw her.  

And now I don't want Christmas to come because she is not here and I have to start having 1 year milestones, and I just don't want to.

((hugs)) to everyone who is grieving at this time of year.

Amber in SJ

My dh passed away suddenly in September and I so dread Christmas. Thanksgiving was very tough for all of us, and I can't even imagine what Christmas will be like. My youngest is 13. We are starting to decorate for Christmas to try and keep up our normal traditions. We are trying to think of things to make it a little different. My 13 you asked me yesterday when I was going to start making Christmas cookies, as I usually make lots. I hadn't even really thought of it before he asked. If it was up to me, I think I would just forget Christmas this year, but am trying to keep up my spirits for the kids. This is so incredibly hard.

(((((Hugs))))) so sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry. Haven't been there, but some thoughts come to mind. Sorry if these sound unhelpful. But-- could you spend time putting together favorite memories and photos into a book. (See the gifts for parents thread)? Or work together to find a gift to donate in his name? Or volunteer somewhere together in his memory? Just some ways to treasure his place in your lives. Hugs and prayers.