Menu

Annoyed about money

Bluegoat

I'm feeling really annoyed about the costs associated with some "low-cost" kids activities. 

There are a few skating rinks nearby, plus some lakes and an outdoor rink, that are either free or very cheap.  And I can access cheap, used skates easily.

The kicker is the helmets.  Lakes we can do what we want but they may or may not be frozen.  But all the rinks require helmets on kids, just for normal recreational skating.  While I realize some people prefer this, I don't really care if my kids wear them for that type of skating.

So I am looking at getting them for CHristmas for two of my kids (the other already has one.) 

What is driving me nuts is that the cost really is my gift budget for them, and I know that they won't be especially excited.  It's a bit of a downer.

It's leaving me feeling a little resentful of liability issues.  And sympathetic to people who really can't even consider the cost so simply can't have skating as a regular activity.

Are the kids not allowed to wear bike helmets rather than hockey helmets?  All the rinks here allow bike helmets.  

I think that most bike helmets are pretty useless for ice skating, but I guess it covers the liability issue.  The least expensive ice skating helmets I've seen are around $25, by Mylec.

• Like 1

I'm feeling really annoyed about the costs associated with some "low-cost" kids activities. 

There are a few skating rinks nearby, plus some lakes and an outdoor rink, that are either free or very cheap.  And I can access cheap, used skates easily.

The kicker is the helmets.  Lakes we can do what we want but they may or may not be frozen.  But all the rinks require helmets on kids, just for normal recreational skating.  While I realize some people prefer this, I don't really care if my kids wear them for that type of skating.

So I am looking at getting them for CHristmas for two of my kids (the other already has one.) 

What is driving me nuts is that the cost really is my gift budget for them, and I know that they won't be especially excited.  It's a bit of a downer.

It's leaving me feeling a little resentful of liability issues.  And sympathetic to people who really can't even consider the cost so simply can't have skating as a regular activity.

A hockey helmet from a secondhand sporting goods store such as Play It Again Sports is probably not going to be that expensive.

• Like 3

No, no bike helmets allowed.  They are only good for one impact.

Multi-sport helmets is what I would get, but the cost is the same as for hockey helmets, so that is still a chunk out of my budget.  The advantage is they are also ok for biking.  If I'd realized back when I bought bike helmets for them a few years ago, I would have got the multi-impact ones then.  The rinks allow, but don't prefer those though to hockey helmets, because they prefer face masks.  My dd8 who takes rec skating is constantly being told she should get a face mask.

Strictly speaking they should all have new bike helmets, as they ones they have passed on to each other have all been whacked at least a few times.

I've looked for used helmets, but I haven't seen any.  I suspect people won't take them because they are safety equipment and they don't know the history.  Though they do sell other hockey pads and such, but maybe it is more obvious if those are broken?

TBH, I hate having to buy bike helmets for the kind of riding my kids do as well.  If they were in a lot of traffic, or doing BMX or cross-country, it would make sense, but for riding up to their friend's place, I don't think it's any more dangerous than the other activities they get up to once they are there.

It just feels like another way a healthy recreational activity becomes out of reach or impinges.  I want to be spending my money on music lessons or ballet, or even an actual bike for my dd11 who has grown a foot.  And I would kind of like their Christmas gifts to be not totally utilitarian.

It just feels like another way a healthy recreational activity becomes out of reach or impinges.  I want to be spending my money on music lessons or ballet, or even an actual bike for my dd11 who has grown a foot.  And I would kind of like their Christmas gifts to be not totally utilitarian.

Yup, but then I feel guilty that if I don't get them I'm a crappy parent.  I don't think it makes one a crappy parent when I think of this in general.  A lot of times I know it's just expensive or some people just don't think it's necessary.

Mom guilt is no fun...

• Like 1

Yup, but then I feel guilty that if I don't get them I'm a crappy parent.  I don't think it makes one a crappy parent when I think of this in general.  A lot of times I know it's just expensive or some people just don't think it's necessary.

Mom guilt is no fun...

Yes, this is it.  I haven't extra money, so I don't get them, and they either don't ride their bikes/skate, and I feel like a crappy mom, or they go without, and I feel like a crappy mom and worry about what the other parents will think/say.

And the whole time I think it is a stupid law/rule, and am annoyed at myself for feeling guilty about the social ptressure which I think is inappropriate.

So, now I am thinking of giving them gifts they won't really love, because of social pressure.

Super-lame.

• Like 6

. The rinks allow, but don't prefer those though to hockey helmets, because they prefer face masks. My dd8 who takes rec skating is constantly being told she should get a face mask.

Hubby's friend had a cut to the face from falling while learning to ice skate as an adult in Waterloo, ON so while the probability is low, liability is an issue.

Here there are non-profit organizations that give out new bike helmets at family health fair events. We went to one and my kids were given Bell bike helmets that were sponsored. They gave anyway adult bike helmets too but kids get priority to adult sized helmets before leftovers are given to adults.

I kind of take it for granted that getting hurt is a possibility in any physical activity.  How likely or unlikely that is an important factor for safety requirements IMO. 

The idea that a rink would be liable because a patron chose not to wear a helmet - well, I know it happens, but I think it is totally irrational.  Actually bizarre, if you really think about it.  Like me suing the department of transport because I was too foolish to put snow tires on my car and I had an accident and was hurt. 

If I'm not willing for my kids to take any level of risk, I'm just not going to let them do the activity at all.  So - how much safer is it, for my kids, doing what they do, to wear a helmet?  How does that compare to their other play and activities that I'm allowed to make a judgement about (like tobogganing, say.)  I don't feel like these are really the questions people making the rules are considering, or are in a position to know the answers to.

But I feel like more and more activities have more and more requirements that cost money.  My dd8's helmet actually cost more than her skates and more than the lessons.

• Like 4

TBH, I hate having to buy bike helmets for the kind of riding my kids do as well.  If they were in a lot of traffic, or doing BMX or cross-country, it would make sense, but for riding up to their friend's place, I don't think it's any more dangerous than the other activities they get up to once they are there.

My parents felt the same way until my cousin ended up in the hospital when she fell off the bike in "around the neighborhood" type of riding.  The Fall broke her helmet off and she ended up losing a kidney. But the hospital said it was a GOOD thing she was wearing a helmet to take that first impact.  They went out and got us helmets and we wore them always after that.

• Like 3

I don't know of any low cost extracurricular activities anymore outside of the school district except special events at the library, but these are not on going activities.

Everything is just simply so expensive these days. Piano lessons - I don't teach anymore, but with my degree and experience it would not be worth it for me to teach for less than $25.00 a lesson and many teachers get more, a LOT more. Add in the cost of books and travel, parents are out well more than $100.00 a month per child. Some teachers charge upwards of $100.00 per student for recital fees as well. Dance is way more than that. I don't think AYSO soccer is too bad but I've heard it depends on whether or not the team has corporate sponsors to help pay all the costs, equipment, and uniforms. If not, it can be hundreds of dollars per student.

4H is only $10.00 per year in terms of membership fees, but the cost of projects have to be covered. Our rocket team is an expensive endeavor and that's with dh and I putting in $1000.00 a year of our own money. So fees to join the team are $100.00 each and then families have to be actively engaged in fundraising or have to pay a lot more than that.

Sigh....it is all so expensive, and of course the added injury is that if there isn't public funding to help low income families afford it, many children can't participate.

I feel your angst. That said, I would imagine that liability is a big issue with these skating rinks so you won't be able to get around buying the equipment.

That said when I was in elementary school two of my classmates, one in 4th grade and one in 5th, were killed from head injuries while riding bikes. So that experience made me pro helmet.

• Like 3

. Like me suing the department of transport because I was too foolish to put snow tires on my car and I had an accident and was hurt.

California highway patrol does check for snow tires and snow chains. They set up road blocks and check. My kids do like playing with snow and my hubby does not like snow chains, so we go to the ski resorts on days snow chains are not required.

"TYPES OF CHAIN CONTROL

During the winter months motorists may encounter traction device controls in the mountain areas of California. When chain controls are established, signs along side the road will be opened indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains or snow tread tires required. Snow tires must have a tread depth of 6/32" with a "M & S" imprint on the tire's sidewall.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains required on all vehicles except four-wheel drives or all-wheel drives with snow tread tires on all four wheels. NOTE: four-wheel and all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains are required on all vehicles, no exceptions." http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist3/departments/mtce/tireschains.htm

• Like 1

California highway patrol does check for snow tires and snow chains. They set up road blocks and check. My kids do like playing with snow and my hubby does not like snow chains, so we go to the ski resorts on days snow chains are not required.

"TYPES OF CHAIN CONTROL

During the winter months motorists may encounter traction device controls in the mountain areas of California. When chain controls are established, signs along side the road will be opened indicating the type of requirement. There are three requirements in California.

Requirement One (R1): Chains or snow tread tires required. Snow tires must have a tread depth of 6/32" with a "M & S" imprint on the tire's sidewall.

Requirement Two (R2): Chains required on all vehicles except four-wheel drives or all-wheel drives with snow tread tires on all four wheels. NOTE: four-wheel and all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas)

Requirement Three (R3): Chains are required on all vehicles, no exceptions." http://www.dot.ca.gov/dist3/departments/mtce/tireschains.htm

Yes, lots of places have regulations like this, but not because people will hurt themselves and sue the state.  The reason is vehicles that can't stop on ice are a danger to all the people on the road.  And the safety effect is pretty considerable, as well.

No one thinks it make sense to sure the state for not mandating helmets if they bang their head in a car accident. 

Helmets on ice? I figure skated for years and simply cannot imagine. The public skates rarely had kids getting injuries more than bruised knees and scrapes and I can remember no concussions outside of the hockey team, and not the beginning level kids rec league either.

We saw more injuries on the local playgrounds than ice!

Edited by Arctic Mama

I don't know of any low cost extracurricular activities anymore outside of the school district except special events at the library, but these are not on going activities.

Everything is just simply so expensive these days. Piano lessons - I don't teach anymore, but with my degree and experience it would not be worth it for me to teach for less than $25.00 a lesson and many teachers get more, a LOT more. Add in the cost of books and travel, parents are out well more than $100.00 a month per child. Some teachers charge upwards of $100.00 per student for recital fees as well. Dance is way more than that. I don't think AYSO soccer is too bad but I've heard it depends on whether or not the team has corporate sponsors to help pay all the costs, equipment, and uniforms. If not, it can be hundreds of dollars per student.

4H is only $10.00 per year in terms of membership fees, but the cost of projects have to be covered. Our rocket team is an expensive endeavor and that's with dh and I putting in $1000.00 a year of our own money. So fees to join the team are $100.00 each and then families have to be actively engaged in fundraising or have to pay a lot more than that.

Sigh....it is all so expensive, and of course the added injury is that if there isn't public funding to help low income families afford it, many children can't participate.

I feel your angst. That said, I would imagine that liability is a big issue with these skating rinks so you won't be able to get around buying the equipment.

That said when I was in elementary school two of my classmates, one in 4th grade and one in 5th, were killed from head injuries while riding bikes. So that experience made me pro helmet.

Yes, it is all expensive.

What I think is striking me is that I am not even thinking of activities that are classes.  Piano lessons, dance, soccer, these are formal activities.  I didn't complain about the helmet for skating lessons for dd8 even though I don't really see it as necessary.

But it seems like things that are just fun activities for kids now expect so much more.  Just a family skate, or riding a bike for fun to a friend's.  Swimming at the lake as a family has become complex for us, because as one parent I can't follow the letter of the regulations for all my kids - even though I watch them carefully.  I'd need to hire a helper (or two)to be within arms reach of both my under 8's whenever they were in the water and care for the baby. 

The outdoor rink here is actually free and has free borrowing of all equipment, but it is hugely crowded and the lines are really long for winter skating.

Even with sledding , now, it seems to be the expectation that kids have helmets though thank goodness it isn't a law yet.

So - it's like I can spend money on the expensive piano  and ballet with qualified teachers (who I want to pay properly) but then I have no money for normal fun things the kids can do more casually.  And I know some kids just don't have access to much at all.  Maybe kids who can't afford skating lessons might like to be able to skate just for fun? 

• Like 1

My parents felt the same way until my cousin ended up in the hospital when she fell off the bike in "around the neighborhood" type of riding.  The Fall broke her helmet off and she ended up losing a kidney. But the hospital said it was a GOOD thing she was wearing a helmet to take that first impact.  They went out and got us helmets and we wore them always after that.

That doesn't really tell us though that bike riding of that type is particularly dangerous - only that sometimes people do have bad accidents while doing it.  THose aren't the same thing.

If you don't think they want them, would it be better to postpone the helmets? Is something else practical as a gift that will take up the time they would be likely to go skating?

I know bike helmets are not the norm everywhere or even required by law everywhere. I actually had a different angle on this topic. I wanted to get a helmet for my nephew but dh said not to because it was be insulting to the parents. I worry more about things like that I guess. Then when we all went (SIL's family and mine) to an air show I bought ds ear protection from the gun dept. I asked dh if I should buy any for my nephew. Again he said no. Dd was not born yet. I bought two pairs, one for me and one for ds. I hate the things that go into your ear, so I was planning on wearing the headphone style. Then we get to the airshow and someone offers my nephew the ear protection that was supposed to be mine. I thought dang it you guys should have just let me buy three pairs. Lol.

• Like 1

I think I will just forbid bullriding as a childhood passtime.  If they want to do it as adults, a helmet is a good idea. 

I don't think that arguments for helmet use in one sport necessarily applies to another - even with different uses within the same general area.  Skating around a pond isn't the same as playing a game of hockey.  And then regulation through facility rules and law is another question as well.

That doesn't really tell us though that bike riding of that type is particularly dangerous - only that sometimes people do have bad accidents while doing it.  THose aren't the same thing.

Yes, but one slip can be life altering. A friend of a friend has a son who went from "going to college in August" to "life long disability, will never live on his own" from a fall without a helmet. It might be rare, but how lucky do you feel?

My dh never wanted to wear a bike helmet because he rides on the green belt not on the streets until he hit a slick patch and crashed into a tree. He was lucky he didn't get hurt and bought a helmet the next day. Now he insists on them for everyone who rides one of our bikes.

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 2

If you don't think they want them, would it be better to postpone the helmets? Is something else practical as a gift that will take up the time they would be likely to go skating?

I know bike helmets are not the norm everywhere or even required by law everywhere. I actually had a different angle on this topic. I wanted to get a helmet for my nephew but dh said not to because it was be insulting to the parents. I worry more about things like that I guess. Then when we all went (SIL's family and mine) to an air show I bought ds ear protection from the gun dept. I asked dh if I should buy any for my nephew. Again he said no. Dd was not born yet. I bought two pairs, one for me and one for ds. I hate the things that go into your ear, so I was planning on wearing the headphone style. Then we get to the airshow and someone offers my nephew the ear protection that was supposed to be mine. I thought dang it you guys should have just let me buy three pairs. Lol.

I may end up not getting them, I haven't decided.  They do have other activities they enjoy, and a different option isn't hard to find.  Sleds are one possibility. My dd11 wants a chess book.

My issue is that every winter, I find that we would like to go skating and are prevented by our lack of helmets for everyone.  Even last year when we went to the outdoor rink, the line was so long to borrow there was no point in waiting.  If we'd had our own we could have just gone right on the ice.

Winter here is pretty long, and not always nice even for outdoor things because it can be slushy and damp as well as cold.  So skating is one activity that is cheap enough for us all (about $2 to get into the rink) and gets the kids some physical activity.

Trying to think about affording the helmets, I thought of the Christmas gift option.  It's just so unsatisfying.

Yes, but one slip can be life altering. A friend of a friend has a son who went from "going to college in August" to "life long disability, will never live on his own" from a fall without a helmet. It might be rare, but how lucky do you feel?

My dh never wanted to wear a bike helmet because he rides on the green belt not on the streets until he hit a slick patch and crashed into a tree. He was lucky he didn't get hurt and bought a helmet the next day. Now he insists on them for everyone who rides one of our bikes.

If people wore helmets running, playing rugby, and driving cars, it would also prevent rare injuries.  One slip can be life altering.

I think there needs to be more than a rare accident to make a requirement for safety equipment mandatory. 

I also think that in reality, we do all have an acceptance of risk.  Otherwise people would not bike (or whatever) at all.  The question is, is the risk worth it?  There has to be some logic to how we assess what is too much risk.  "One slip can be life altering" is only logical if we apply it to every risk the same way.  But I don't see many people wearing helmets running or driving cars around town.

• Like 2

Is there a resale group for hockey/skating/skiing equipment in your town? We have one here (actually, two) and one for horse stuff. Maybe you could find an outgrown hockey helmet? I understand your frustration. 

I've looked for this - no helmets, though they have other safety stuff.  I think they must not want to resale helmets for some reason.

I may end up not getting them, I haven't decided.  They do have other activities they enjoy, and a different option isn't hard to find.  Sleds are one possibility. My dd11 wants a chess book.

My issue is that every winter, I find that we would like to go skating and are prevented by our lack of helmets for everyone.  Even last year when we went to the outdoor rink, the line was so long to borrow there was no point in waiting.  If we'd had our own we could have just gone right on the ice.

Winter here is pretty long, and not always nice even for outdoor things because it can be slushy and damp as well as cold.  So skating is one activity that is cheap enough for us all (about $2 to get into the rink) and gets the kids some physical activity.

Trying to think about affording the helmets, I thought of the Christmas gift option.  It's just so unsatisfying.

Well maybe we could help you find ways to score a bargain on enough items that the budget could afford more? Like a deal on a chess set and a deal on the helmet. I don't know? I try to rack up a few gift cards through Swagbucks that I redeem on Amazon. I also scan products inside stores for shopkick gift cards. It's not much, but it helps a little! I saved $4 on a Christmas sweater for dd the other day with my shopkick points.

• Like 2

I feel your frustration. I also grew up figure skating and never saw a helmet--those were for hockey players. And in maybe 5 years of competitive skating I don't remember anyone hitting their head or having a concussion. But maybe that depends on the skill of the skater; we fell a lot, but on our butts. We had the neck control to keep our heads up and off the ice when we went down. I remember that learning to fall was part of skating school lessons. Now on dd's soccer team, there have been multiple concussions every year but there are no helmets in soccer. Probably because there is no one to sue.

• Like 1

Well maybe we could help you find ways to score a bargain on enough items that the budget could afford more? Like a deal on a chess set and a deal on the helmet. I don't know? I try to rack up a few gift cards through Swagbucks that I redeem on Amazon. I also scan products inside stores for shopkick gift cards. It's not much, but it helps a little! I saved $4 on a Christmas sweater for dd the other day with my shopkick points.

Any suggestions would be lovely.  I'm in Canada which complicates things slightly, sales here aren't always the same.

I've been pretty brutal in general trying to keep my Christmas budget down.  Honestly the best thing would be to cut out gifts for adults.  This seems to be trickier than it should be, een though dh and I won't buy for each other.

The chess book I'm thinking of for dd has to be ordered used - so I may get a deal, or not. 

One thought I've just had is maybe their grandpa might like to get them helmets - he likes gifts that can be bought at Walmart...

I've looked for this - no helmets, though they have other safety stuff. I think they must not want to resale helmets for some reason.

Bike helmets have a expiry date that is 3 or 5 years from manufacturing. Makes it hard for me to give away my kids youth bike helmets when they outgrew them.

Canada prices are higher too for general goods. We were surprised when shopping and eating in Ontario. We went to Walmart there and ended up buying groceries at Sobeys.

ETA:

There was an old news article that said Nova Scotia gave away some free bike helmets through paramedics and policemen. But can't find anything recent about free helmets.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

And what about rugby!  People I knew who played rugby were always seeing broken noses and thumbs and eyes, broken jaws and teeth, collarbones, broken ankles.

Somehow no one gets sued, certainly not the people who administer the fields they play on.  The assumption seems to be people know what they are getting into.

It's funny how some activities get perceived as dangerous and needing regulation, and others don't.  Why not let people choose about waering a bike helmet, but ban playing rugby?

And why is it in some countries the law assumes people are responsible for themselves, but in others it assumes they are idiots who need to be protected?  Is it a different perception of the individual?  It's funny that it seems worst in the US which is so big on individualism and choice.

My son has fallen off his bike quite a bit for how long he has been riding. Certainly more than *I* ever fell off my bike.  If he has a bad accident, I'd rather he be protected than not.  Because of the accidents he has had, we've gone farther than must wear helmet to ride -- must wear helmet, sneakers, jeans, and if we can find a sturdy top we'll add that to the mix.

(Though come to think of it, the last time I was on a bike, I broke my toe... Which explains why I have not wanted to bike ride since. And my husband got hit by a car out bike riding in the last couple of years. So yeah, we're a bit paranoid about bike riding)

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

Any suggestions would be lovely.  I'm in Canada which complicates things slightly, sales here aren't always the same.

I've been pretty brutal in general trying to keep my Christmas budget down.  Honestly the best thing would be to cut out gifts for adults.  This seems to be trickier than it should be, een though dh and I won't buy for each other.

The chess book I'm thinking of for dd has to be ordered used - so I may get a deal, or not. 

One thought I've just had is maybe their grandpa might like to get them helmets - he likes gifts that can be bought at Walmart...

Ah, I see. Have you already checked Book Depository? They ship free worldwide. But they sell new, so might not be any better of a deal than what you have found so far.

Some credit card companies do cash back and categories that rotate, with Christmas time including dept. stores or certain online shopping. I don't know if this applies to you or not.

When I was a kid there was a skating rink I went to sometimes. Didn't use any equipment there, but outside of the rink I had a pair of rollerblades and used knee and wrist guards (helmet too maybe??). I really really needed the wrist guards LOL

• Like 1

I feel your frustration. I also grew up figure skating and never saw a helmet--those were for hockey players. And in maybe 5 years of competitive skating I don't remember anyone hitting their head or having a concussion. But maybe that depends on the skill of the skater; we fell a lot, but on our butts. We had the neck control to keep our heads up and off the ice when we went down. I remember that learning to fall was part of skating school lessons. Now on dd's soccer team, there have been multiple concussions every year but there are no helmets in soccer. Probably because there is no one to sue.

Actually, many of the new US Youth Soccer rules and regulations were part of a concussion settlement. They were getting sued.  

• Like 1

My parents felt the same way until my cousin ended up in the hospital when she fell off the bike in "around the neighborhood" type of riding. The Fall broke her helmet off and she ended up losing a kidney. But the hospital said it was a GOOD thing she was wearing a helmet to take that first impact. They went out and got us helmets and we wore them always after that.

My mom died of a brain injury from a leisurely bike ride through our neighborhood without a helmet. My kids will never do any of these types of things without a helmet!!!

• Like 1

"TYPES OF CHAIN CONTROL

Wait what?!  You have to buy snow chains?! 

• Like 1

My parents felt the same way until my cousin ended up in the hospital when she fell off the bike in "around the neighborhood" type of riding. The Fall broke her helmet off and she ended up losing a kidney. But the hospital said it was a GOOD thing she was wearing a helmet to take that first impact. They went out and got us helmets and we wore them always after that.

This. A teen in our town died a year or so ago because he fell while skateboarding (not jumps and tricks) just straight down the sidewalk, but his wheel hit a rock. His head hit the curb. He'd probably still be here if he had a helmet on.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 1

This. A teen in our town died a year or so ago because he fell while skateboarding (not jumps and tricks) just straight down the sidewalk, but his wheel hit a rock. His head hit the curb. He'd probably still be here if he had a helmet on.

I know a 21 year old who died this way a couple of weeks ago.

• Like 1

I personally don't know that I would require a helmet for ice skating. It seems like people wouldn't generally be going fast enough to cause a serious injury when they fall. Bicycling, even casually, and skateboarding, absolutely.

My kids whine about the bike helmets. I tell them if God didn't want them to wear bike helmets, God would not have given them paramedics as parents.

• Like 2

Ah, I see. Have you already checked Book Depository? They ship free worldwide. But they sell new, so might not be any better of a deal than what you have found so far.

Some credit card companies do cash back and categories that rotate, with Christmas time including dept. stores or certain online shopping. I don't know if this applies to you or not.

When I was a kid there was a skating rink I went to sometimes. Didn't use any equipment there, but outside of the rink I had a pair of rollerblades and used knee and wrist guards (helmet too maybe??). I really really needed the wrist guards LOL

I don't think the book is in print, so new wouldn't be an option.

Writs guards are great for skating, I'd wear those before a helmet, myself.

I totally get where you are coming from, Bluegoat. 

Summer is an issue here, rather than winter. And whereas local pools used to be affordable for most, prices have been jacked up - since they turned into 'aquatic centers' to cater to those who want their public pools to have a 'private' feel - to the point where, if you don't have $20-$25 bucks for your family to swim, you are out of luck. We have $20 for a weekly swim...but if there's a heat wave of 3 or 4 days, we don't have the $80 it would take to keep us all active. 

I feel like access to fun, physical activity should be a societal priority. And access should be as open as possible - requiring $$ helmets, as in your case, is just one way people are excluded from participating in a fun, active lifestyle. (Helmets are still optional at our ice rink, but entry is $18 for one person, so we don't go anyway.)

Yes, this is what I think too.  My feeling is that when people talk about making rules like this, they really aren't cosidering the costs that seem at first glance to be external.  They just assume that these things will be fine.

• Like 1

Wow, I guess it's been a WHILE since I've been figure skating (recreationally). I've NEVER even heard of needing a helmet! 

That just seems excessive to me. Seriously, the odds of needing a helmet while recreationally skating are probably extremely low.

Maybe you could just choose lake skating for now. If said lake isn't frozen, take an adventurous hike around it, looking for unusual things

or making up stories about the area. Find an alternative fun thing to do while there.