Menu

Book a Week 2016 -BW46: Flufferton Abbey

Robin M

Happy Sunday dear hearts!  This is the beginning of week 46 in our quest to read 52 books. Welcome back to all our readers, to those just joining in and all who are following our progress. Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 Books blog to link to your reviews. The link is also below in my signature.

52 Books Blog - Flufferton Abbey:  I think we are all in the mood for something flufferton.  This post is brought to you by AggieAmy, who kindly offered to guest post this week.

Flufferton Abbey is not a genre so much as a writing style.  A few genres lend themselves well to being Fluffeton books such as cozy mysteries, comedy of manners, romance, and historical fiction.  Everyone has their own specific thing they look for when they pick up a book and plan to spend time at Flufferton Abbey but there are a number of things that are expected:

• A happy ending â€“ If you are crying at the end of the book it does NOT qualify.  A Flufferton book has the couple getting together, the mystery solved, the situation put right tidily.  If anyone has died during the course of the book they had better have deserved it.
  • Setting â€“ A lot of the charm in these books is being able to sneak away to someplace wonderful for a visit.  It’s easy to imagine that the cuppa tea we’re having isn’t really in our living room but the morning room of our manor house.  Gritty?  Realistic?  Downtown Detroit in the 1960’s?  Nope.  Not Flufferton appropriate. 
  • Characters â€“ We love these characters.  They have charm.  They make us smile.  We wish we knew them in real life.   
  • Humor â€“ A mandatory ingredient.  Some books have us laughing out loud in ways that make our family worry about our mental stability.  Some books have just an occasional chuckle.  All books have at least some. 
  • Re-readability - Absolutely.  These are the books that we've read so many times that      there are sections we've memorized. 

Where to start:

Georgette Heyer

The Grand SophyFredericaVenetiaSylvesterCotillion  

Jane Austen

Pride and PrejudiceEmmaPersuasion

DE Stevenson

Miss Buncle’s BookMrs. Tim ChristieKatherine Wentworth

PG Wodehouse

My Man JeevesSomething Fresh

LM Montgomery

Anne of Green GablesThe Blue Castle

Angela Thirkell

High Rising

Stella Riley

The Parfit Knight

Susan Branch – a nonfiction present day version of Flufferton Abbey

A Fine Romance:  Falling in Love with the English Countryside

Which ones have you read?  What authors would you add to this list?

History of the Renaissance World - Chapters 81 and 82

Link to week 45

• Like 24

Finished Joann Ross's Impulse this week which was pretty good, then started falling apart towards the end when the lovers sounded pretty juvenile.  Would have been better if just left the romance part out of it.  

Hazard, Wyoming, is a quiet mountain town where there's snow on the ground from October until June, the wind blows all the time, and nothing much ever happens. But that's all about to change. Because, just when the wind suddenly stops, a killer comes to Hazard -- a hunter as deadly and primal as evil itself. 

When Sheriff Will Bridger sees the murdered teenage girl, it's the worst scene he's ever witnessed. But there's worse to come. Much, much worse. While the nights grow longer and the winter snow gets deeper, the violence intensifies. As does the blazing passion between Will and late-night radio host Faith Prescott. Harboring secrets as potentially dangerous as his own, Faith knows all too well the dark side of the human heart. She can help Will. If he'll only let her. 

It won't be easy, though. The man who was once the boy raised by wolves is no ordinary serial killer. Fortunately, Will Bridger is no ordinary cop.

Last night dove into Nalini Singh's latest in her Guild Hunter series with Archangel's Heart and thoroughly enjoying it.

One of the most vicious archangels in the world has disappeared. No one knows if Lijuan is dead or has chosen to Sleep the long sleep of an immortal. But with her lands falling into chaos under a rising tide of vampiric bloodlust, a mysterious and ancient order of angels known as the Luminata calls the entire Cadre together to discuss the fate of her territory.

Accompanying her archangelic lover Raphael to the Luminata compound, guild hunter-turned-angel Elena senses that all is not as it seems. Secrets echo from within the stone walls of the compound, and the deeper Elena goes, the uglier the darkness. But neither Raphael nor Elena is ready for the brutal truths hidden within—truths that will change everything Elena thinks she knows about who she is…

Nothing will ever be the same again.

• Like 18

It might look as if I read a lot in the past week. I didn't. I'm just catching up on ratings and reviews from books I read while away on vacation.

All Things Wise and Wonderful – 3 Stars - I will forever have a soft spot in my heart for all things Herriot. I read the children’s books to my children over and over again and we have visited the town of Thirsk in Yorkshire and the James Herriot Museum, which we loved.

This book however, has been my least favorite so far. Don’t get me wrong. I still liked it very much, just not nearly as much as the others that I’ve read. I didn’t particularly care for the start of each chapter with the RAF/WWII anecdotes. If it had been just war stories, I would have been fine with it. But then it would go off in a clumsy sort of way to his pre-war vet days and that was a bit distracting.

You Have the Right to Remain Innocent – 3 Stars - Many have seen the You Tube video by the same author, telling you to never trust anyone in the criminal justice system. I saw it a few years ago and thought it was interesting. To me, you don’t necessarily need to read this book. The You Tube video and the quotes that I am sharing should be sufficient. It was a relatively short and quick read. Mind you, I had to skim through many of the horror stories with all the injustice that some have encountered. I cannot stand that sort of pain. Some of the tips:

Have a lawyer present whenever you talk to the police.

Never volunteer information or access to your property.

Here is more:

“If a police officer encounters you in one of those moments, he or she has every right to ask you two simple questions. Memorize these two questions so you will not be tempted to answer any others: Who are you? What are you doing right here, right now? If you are ever approached by a police officer with those two questions, and your God-given common sense tells you that the officer is being reasonable in asking for an explanation, don’t be a jerk.â€

“Those are the only two things you should tell the police officer in that context, and they are both in the present tense. (You might as well cooperate with such a request, by the way, because the Fifth Amendment does not normally give you the right to refuse to tell the police your name anyway. That is it. But if the police officer tries to strike up a conversation with you about the past, and where you were thirty minutes earlier, and who you were with, and where you had dinner, and with whom—you will not answer those questions. You will not be rude, but you will always firmly decline, with all due respect, to answer those questions.â€

“If you are asked any question by a police officer or a government agent and you realize that it is not in your best interest to answer, you should not mention the Fifth Amendment privilege or tell the police that you wish to exercise your right to avoid incriminating yourself. In this day and age, there is too great a danger that the police and the prosecutor might later persuade the judge to use that statement against you as evidence of your guilt. And if they do, to make matters much worse, you have no guarantee that the FBI agent in your case will not slightly misremember your exact words.â€

The Auschwitz Escape – 4 Stars - This is historical fiction about two men who manage to escape from Auschwitz. Despite the horrific subject matter, it was a beautiful read. I’m sure that the story and the characters will remain with me for quite some time. 

9781250063496.jpg  9781531830847.jpg  9781414336251.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM

5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down

4 Stars

Really Good

3 Stars

Enjoyable

2 Stars

Just Okay – nothing to write home about

1 Star

Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 20

I'm still early on in Stolen Lives.  It's interesting so far.

The kids' new middle school audiobook is Masterminds, which I hadn't heard of before.  It's also interesting so far.

Still haven't gotten back to reading Little Women (Book 2).

• Like 14

While I know that there are a lot of great graphic novels out there, I tend not to read them unless someone places a volume in my hands.  The exception is the Oishinbo series which technically is manga--Japanese food manga to be specific.  Yeah, there is a story line including a menu competition and a romance; but the Oishinbo books also focus on recipes, traditional Japanese agriculture, and an entertaining look at Japanese culture.  I really love them.

This week I read the Oishinbo volume that focuses on vegetables.  Of course my BaW friends know that reading about turnips and eggplant is quite exciting for me.  ;) Actually, that is not a joke.  I love vegetables and borrowed a book on sea vegetables (seaweed!) from the library yesterday. 

Unfortunately the library did not have Arnaldur Indridason's fifth volume, Arctic Chill, on the shelf.  Feeling a need to return to Iceland, I grabbed Hypothermia (Inspector Erlendur #6).

Sending hugs to all my BaW friends in these troubling times.

• Like 17

On the Flufferton theme:

Who doesn't love Austen and Wodehouse?  While Wooster and Jeeves get a lot of attention, my favorites are the Psmith (the P is silent) books and Love Among the Chickens. 

And I have a shelf of Thirkells, the best comfort read of all time, perhaps, along with Miss Read. 

• Like 18

Thank you, AggieAmy, for the enjoyable Flufferton Abbey post! Flufferton Abbey is one of my favorite places to visit.

Yesterday, I finished M.L. Buchman's Heart Strike (Delta Force).  It's not my favorite of his books, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. 

"DELTA FORCE: The deadliest elite counter-terrorism unit on the planet
• A precision strike force
• The most out-of-the-box thinkers in any military
• Will die to get the mission done

SERGEANT RICHIE "Q" GOLDMAN: The smartest soldier on any team

SERGEANT MELISSA "THE CAT" MOORE: Newest on the team, determined to be the best

Rescued from an icy mountaintop by a Delta operative, Melissa Moore has never met a challenge she can't conquer. Not only she will make Delta Force, she will be the best female warrior in The Unit, and woe to anyone who says otherwise. Technical wizard Richie Goldman is Bond's "Q" turned warrior. A genius about everything except women, he takes point on the team's most dangerous mission yet. When the Delta Force team goes undercover in the depths of the Colombian jungle, surviving attacks from every side requires that Richie and Melissa strike right at the heart of the matter...and come out with their own hearts intact."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 17

Aggieamy, I just wanted to say Thank You for the great post about one of my favourite genres ;) Fluffertons. In honour of this weeks theme I happen to already have my very first Mrs. Tim book sitting in my Overdrive account. What a wonderful coincidence!

This week I read the Oishinbo volume that focuses on vegetables.  Of course my BaW friends know that reading about turnips and eggplant is quite exciting for me.  ;) Actually, that is not a joke.  I love vegetables and borrowed a book on sea vegetables (seaweed!) from the library yesterday. 

Unfortunately the library did not have Arnaldur Indridason's fifth volume, Arctic Chill, on the shelf.  Feeling a need to return to Iceland, I grabbed Hypothermia (Inspector Erlendur #6).

Sending hugs to all my BaW friends in these troubling times.

On the Seaweed topic while in the US we were in a Costco and the sample was Sea Weed Chips. I am amazed to report that even my picky ds liked them. Haven't had a chance to look for them here but Costco members really should consider them.....ds generally prefers not to eat green food and ate them. Yes, he was hungry but he did say he would eat them again....

I did manage to read and enjoy Jar City last summer. I just checked and my overdrive account now has several books by Indridason available. Jane and Jenn, we had much discussion about where I should start with this series so my next question is where should I go next. Should I read Reykjavik Nights https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18803656-reykjav-k-nights or Silence of the Grave https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/82991.Silence_of_the_Grave or ????? Anyone is welcome to offer advice! :)

We are having a peaceful evening after spending the day with many old friends from when we first moved to the UK. It was wonderful to see everyone. We had a great surprise because one of the dc's friends had flown home for the weekend with her now husband (another dc friend). We never expected them to be part of our day! A great time was had by all.

• Like 19

On the Seaweed topic while in the US we were in a Costco and the sample was Sea Weed Chips. I am amazed to report that even my picky ds liked them. Haven't had a chance to look for them here but Costco members really should consider them.....ds generally prefers not to eat green food and ate them. Yes, he was hungry but he did say he would eat them again....

I did manage to read and enjoy Jar City last summer. I just checked and my overdrive account now has several books by Indridason available. Jane and Jenn, we had much discussion about where I should start with this series so my next question is where should I go next. Should I read Reykjavik Nights https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18803656-reykjav-k-nights or Silence of the Grave https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/82991.Silence_of_the_Grave or ????? Anyone is welcome to offer advice! :)

We are having a peaceful evening after spending the day with many old friends from when we first moved to the UK. It was wonderful to see everyone. We had a great surprise because one of the dc's friends had flown home for the weekend with her now husband (another dc friend). We never expected them to be part of our day! A great time was had by all.

Small tip for those seeking Inspector Erlendur books.  Icelandics use a patronymic naming system.  Thus I do not find Arnaldur Indridason's books under I in my library, rather A.

Now about the order...I feel that you are in a C.S. Lewis Narnia moment:  do you read the books in the order they were published or in the timeline of the stories themselves?  The newer books are set earlier in the Inspector's career.  I am reading the books in the order they were published--except for this current blip of reading volume 6 before 5.  Since I have not read the more recently published books, I cannot comment on whether my decision is wise or not.

• Like 14

I could use some time in Flufferton this week as I've finally succumbed to the insidious cold virus that's been circulating around the last few weeks. But which Flufferton? I started the Susan Branch book last winter and it is still on my shelves. I've never read Anne of Green Gables, nor any Anna Thirkell. 

About the two Inspector Erlendur books -- they are both good but quite different. If you'd like to stay with the Inspector Erlendur you met in Jar City, then you should move onto Silence of the Grave, but if you want his back story and to visit an earlier time in Iceland, then Reykjavik Nights. Btw, I'm pretty sure the books were shelved under the letter "I" in my libraries!!  (Am going to have to double check on that...)

Jane -- we got to video chat last night with my ds in Japan as he walked home from the grocery store. (It was Sunday afternoon for him.) After he got past the 1st-world strip malls and big box stores his route home takes him past lots of rice paddies and community vegetable gardens. Everything is still lush and green. He also passed a couple of Shinto shrines on the way.  Anyway, I don't know what veggies are growing and he isn't much of a veggie connoisseur, so nothing to report to you, but you'd love his environs!

Kareni -- you had asked about him the other week, and he is doing well. The casual California kid is getting tired of everyone being so gosh darn formal all the time. For example, there is no casual banter with the clerk at a store, no chatting about the weather, they just bow and use honorifics in addressing the American sensei. Everyone knows who he is in that small community as there are only 4 other Westerners in the city. We were wondering if life in the big metropolitan areas might be less formal.

Finished the Susan Hill mystery, The Various Haunts of Men, which is a mixed bag of a book. It is set in a small, idyllic community populated with interesting people, and it follows a new arrival to the community, a female detective sergeant. The mystery itself is slow to unfold, there are some red herrings and lots and lots of rabbit trails about healing -- spiritual, physical, Western and alternative healing.  This isn't a wholehearted endorsement, but I think my fellow mystery-lovers might enjoy it.

• Like 16

I don't feel like I've actually gotten any reading done this week, what with angst and processing. Shannon is pretty depressed with the world situation as well as her own health problems and so I've spent a lot of time just snuggling her all of her gangly 14-ness and listening, mostly, and trying to offer some words of wisdom. Which I have very few of myself, so I fee quite drained. Not much energy for serious reading, although I did manage to read The Burial at Thebes: A Version of Sophocles' Antigone by Seamus Heaney. That was rather timely. We will be reading it together this week and I imagine it will lead to quite rich discussions. Also fittingly, I'm diving into I, Claudius. And watching Game of Thrones. Good reminders that political transitions haven't always gone smoothly! We have much to be thankful for.

I had to abandon Florence & Giles - I just couldn't get into it, it was moving too slowly to  hold my scattered attention. Anybody else want it? I'd be glad to send it on to a more appreciative audience.

I'm listening to Dead Wake: The Last Crossing of the Lusitania. It's pretty interesting.And trying, but largely failing to make much progress in Anna Karenina, Children of Time, or I Will Send Rain - I keep grabbing something new of my TR stack hoping to get lost in a book. It's really not the books' fault that this isn't working so well.

Hugs to everyone. I also very much appreciate this space as I contemplate an other-than-here media blackout for awhile.

• Like 18

About the two Inspector Erlendur books -- they are both good but quite different. If you'd like to stay with the Inspector Erlendur you met in Jar City, then you should move onto Silence of the Grave, but if you want his back story and to visit an earlier time in Iceland, then Reykjavik Nights. Btw, I'm pretty sure the books were shelved under the letter "I" in my libraries!!  (Am going to have to double check on that...)

Jane -- we got to video chat last night with my ds in Japan as he walked home from the grocery store. (It was Sunday afternoon for him.) After he got past the 1st-world strip malls and big box stores his route home takes him past lots of rice paddies and community vegetable gardens. Everything is still lush and green. He also passed a couple of Shinto shrines on the way.  Anyway, I don't know what veggies are growing and he isn't much of a veggie connoisseur, so nothing to report to you, but you'd love his environs!

What a great update on your lad, Jenn.  Thanks!

About Arnaldur Indridason--I guess my library uses the Icelandic phone book rule. Here is a blog post on patronymics that is quite interesting.

• Like 11

Yesterday, I finished M.L. Buchman's Heart Strike (Delta Force).  It's not my favorite of his books, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. 

"DELTA FORCE: The deadliest elite counter-terrorism unit on the planet

• A precision strike force

• The most out-of-the-box thinkers in any military

• Will die to get the mission done

SERGEANT RICHIE "Q" GOLDMAN: The smartest soldier on any team

SERGEANT MELISSA "THE CAT" MOORE: Newest on the team, determined to be the best

Rescued from an icy mountaintop by a Delta operative, Melissa Moore has never met a challenge she can't conquer. Not only she will make Delta Force, she will be the best female warrior in The Unit, and woe to anyone who says otherwise. Technical wizard Richie Goldman is Bond's "Q" turned warrior. A genius about everything except women, he takes point on the team's most dangerous mission yet. When the Delta Force team goes undercover in the depths of the Colombian jungle, surviving attacks from every side requires that Richie and Melissa strike right at the heart of the matter...and come out with their own hearts intact."

Regards,

Kareni

Kareni:

I am looking for more reading material as well. Does this series contain a lot of brutal descriptions or is the focus more on strategy?

I love a good mystery/suspense novel but try to avoid too much brutality depicted in detail.

• Like 10

I finished Once Upon a Time: A Short History of Fairy Tale by Marina Warner. This started rough. The content of the first couple of chapters didn't seem interesting enough to match the density of the text. Like, All those words and you were just saying fairy tales have magic? No kidding. And too often stories were used as examples without a summary or excerpt of them, so if I hadn't read the story the example was useless. It got much better, imo, after that. As I perceive it, the history it gave is less one of how fairy tales have evolved or changed (though there is some of that in there) and more one of how our use and interpretation of them has changed or gone in different ways: nationalistic, political propaganda, Freudian interpretations, Jungian interpretations, feminist revisionings, uses of magical realism. I enjoyed it and found it interesting. There is a long list of further reading recommendations at the back of the book.

I read Dante's Paradiso, and with that one, I'm just glad I did it and it's done.

On my middle ds's urging I started the Explorer series - a set of three graphic short story anthologies. I read the first two and am waiting for the third to get transferred from one library branch to the one I go to. These are shelved in the children's section at my library, but my ds is almost 13, and he still likes them. 

I also read Neil Gaiman's The Sleeper and the Spindle. Thank you, Rose, for suggesting the hard copy. The artwork really is gorgeous, and for me, kept the book from a two-star rating. Information was given in unnatural dialogue that should have been told by a narrator. And the ending didn't work for me. I felt he forced the character to do the currently PC thing without setting her up with the proper motivation to make that decision. I'm not against the decision she made or against revisioning a fairy tale into a form that is today's PC; I just didn't see how the decision fit the character as I had seen her so far. Can't really say more without spoilers.

I am currently reading lit. mags. and listening to Haruki Murakami's short memoir What I Talk About When I Talk About Running.

Edited by crstarlette
  • Like 15

Regarding M.L. Buchman's books ~

I am looking for more reading material as well. Does this series contain a lot of brutal descriptions or is the focus more on strategy?

I love a good mystery/suspense novel but try to avoid too much brutality depicted in detail.

On the whole, I would say this series of books contains little brutality.  There are deaths, but the process is not dwelt on.  (Occasionally, one of the 'good guys' dies in which case the reader is more emotionally invested.)

Robin has also read a number of books by this author.  I hope she will proffer her opinion also.

Kareni -- you had asked about him the other week, and he is doing well. The casual California kid is getting tired of everyone being so gosh darn formal all the time. For example, there is no casual banter with the clerk at a store, no chatting about the weather, they just bow and use honorifics in addressing the American sensei. Everyone knows who he is in that small community as there are only 4 other Westerners in the city. We were wondering if life in the big metropolitan areas might be less formal.

Thanks so much for the update about your son, Jenn; it's good to hear that he's doing well.  Wow, only four westerners in his community -- yes, I can well imagine that he would stand out and be known as the American sensei.  My daughter's first teaching job in South Korea was in a suburb of Seoul with a population of over 500,000 and more than a few westerners.  Her hagwon (academy) had both Korean and western teachers on staff.  Her first non-work Korean friend was the manager of the local Baskin-Robbins store; my daughter takes her ice cream seriously and clearly became a known quantity. 

I don't know if a more metropolitan area would be less formal or not.  I know that when we visited our daughter that even in Seoul ALL customers in the grocery store were greeted with a bow.  (It made me dizzy to think how much bowing an official greeter would do in the course of a day.)

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 17

I've spent this week trying to console my 14 yr old as well, Rose, and tamp down his anxiety level. Flufferton is a good move for this week and I've marked those for reading soon. I managed to finish two more books this week.

1.     The Improper Life of Bezellia Grove – Susan Gregg Gilmore 11/7 Four Stars. 

2. The Harrows of Spring (World Made By Hand #4) – James Howard Kunstler 11/11 Four Stars. This is the end of that series. Difficult read and not for the faint of heart as it describes a child's death from tetanus as well as other children being injured in a battle. 

I'm hoping to have more time for reading this week. I'm also making myself go to the beach each day - regardless of weather. Gazing at bodies of water - even from inside a car - is very therapeutic. Perhaps I'll take a mug of cocoa and a book with me!

Nice list, Amy! I,ve read all but the last two authors. Cadell (sp?) is like a less good version of D E Stevens. My fluff is usually Heyer, Stevens, Austen, Wodehouse, Thirkell, or various favourite fantasy books. Another element, I think, is people you like to dislike who get their come-up-ance.

Nan

• Like 14

I just finished The Girl on the Train today which is a book club pick for January. I was not intending to read it as I have heard it compared to Gone Girl which I read part of and hated. But I liked The Girl on the Train. I didn't feel like the author was manipulating me, just telling a good, gripping story. And I managed to like the protagonist. I have American Pastoral up next which is actually the November book club pick (TGotT was a 14-day book so I read it first), so I think I need to get to that one even though I'd much rather check in to Flufferton Abbey (thanks for the great post and list, Amy). Maybe I'll pick up a fluff book at the library. I read another 10 pages or so of Love in the Time of Cholera before I got my library books. Dd and I have started The Grapes of Wrath as a read-aloud--that will take a couple of months.

Add me to the high-anxiety club. I'm staying off CNN online news for probably a few months. Facebook is mostly okay, but if it starts to get to me I head to the group page for our labrador's breeder and look at happy lab pictures.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 15

Amy, thanks for your Flufferton post, I very much enjoyed it & it made me smile when reading it, so it seems as if you perfectly embody all the wonderful aspects of Flufferton!

Maybe I need to dip into some more Flufferton. I don't visit it often & think I might do me good if I did. The only book I can think of right now that might fit on the Flufferton list is Elizabeth von Arnim's The Enchanted April. It's just a lovely delight of a book.

Not sure my current book fits the Flufferton mold since it came from a list of books with unusual demons and devils. The blurb below does say it has one of the cutest literary hellspawn -- would that give it Flufferton status? :lol:  :D

Snake Agent by Liz Williams:

Williams’s Inspector Chen investigates crimes with a supernatural bent, and his work entangles him with a colorful assortment of demons, who, despite their bureaucratic protocols and email accounts, remain recognizably Boschian. The standout here is Chen’s infernal beloved Inari, a rather sweet, agoraphobic demon on the lam from an arranged marriage in hell. Inari aspires to an idealized human decency, but she still can’t resist deploying the occasional flippant curse, or reflexively exploiting the man she loves. Her impish sidekick, who shape-shifts between badger and teakettle, ranks among the cutest of literary hellspawn.

I think mumto2 & Jenn would enjoy this one.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 14

From the Global Literature in Libraries Initiative:

6 Arab-German Authors from a Growing Scene

The GLiLI's front page has the following quote by Mario Vargas Llosa:

Good literature erects bridges between different peoples, and by having us enjoy, suffer, or feel surprise, unites us beneath the languages, beliefs, habits, customs, and prejudices that separate us.

Hear, hear!

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 13

51. "Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival" by Joe Simpson.  Memoir of a climber who broke his leg and was left behind when his partner thought he was dead.  He survived, obviously, to write the book.

50. "Why We Write About Ourselves: Twenty Memoirists on Why They Expose Themselves (and Others) in the name of Literature" ed. by Meredith Maran.  Inspirational!  Interesting look at what they leave out, too.

49. "Write Your Memoir: The soul work telling your story" by Dr. Allan G. Hunter.

48.  "Shimmering Images: A Handy Little Guide to Writing Memoir" by Lisa Dale Norton.

47. "The Story of Science" by Susan Wise Bauer

46. "The Kids' Guide to Staying Awesome and in Control" by Lauren Brukner. 

45. "Freaks, Geeks & Asperger Syndrome" by Luke Jackson.

44.  "Seven Miracles That Saved America" by Chris Stewart and Ted Stewart (LDS). 

43. "The Reading Promise: My Father and the Books We Shared" by Alice Ozma.

42. "Unsolved Mysteries of American History" by Paul Aron.

41. "The Out-of-Sync Child Grows Up" by Carol Stock Kranowitz. 

40. "Look Me in the Eye: my life with asperger's" by John Elder Robison.

39. "The Politically Incorrect Guide to American History" by Thomas E. Woods.

38. "A Buffet of Sensory Interventions: Solutions for Middle and High School Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders" by Susan Culp. 

37. "Thinking in Pictures" by Temple Grandin.

36. "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" by Jack Thorne, et al

35. "The Wizard of Oz" by Frank Baum. 

34. "Adventures of Tom Sawyer" by Mark Twain.  (We listened as we traveled in Missouri!)

33. "Blue Fairy Book" by Andrew Lang.

32. "Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing" by Judy Blume.

31. "Greenwich" by Susan Cooper.

30. "Dark is Rising" by Susan Cooper.

29. "Clash of Cultures" by Christopher and James Lincoln Collier.

28. "The Story of US: First Americans" by Joy Hakim.

27. "Freak the Mighty" by Rodman Philbrick. 

26. "The Mouse and the Motorcycle" by Beverly Cleary.

25."Caddie Woodlawn" by Carol Ryrie Brink.

24. "Frightful's Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.

23.  "The Power of Vulnerability" by Brene Brown.

22.  "My side of the Mountain" by Jean Craighead George.

21. "Cheaper By the Dozen" by Frank Butler Gilbreth, Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey.

20. "Murder on the Ballarat Train" by Kerry Greenwood.

19. "Over See, Under Stone" by Susan Cooper

18. "Sing Down the Moon" by Scott O'Dell.

17. "Soft Rain" by Cornelia Cornelissen.

16. "The Collapse of Parenting" by Leonard Sax.

15. ""Flying Too High: A Phyrne Fisher Mystery" by Kerry Greenwood.

14. "Cocaine Blues: A Phyrne Fisher Mystery" by Kerry Greenwood.

13. "Let It Go" by Chris Williams

12. "Writing From Personal Experience" by Nancy Davidoff Kelton.

11. "Writing the Memoir" by Judith Barrington.

10.  "Boys Adrift" by Leonard Sax.

9. "Girls on the Edge" by Leonard Sax.  

8. "Christ and the Inner Life" by Truman G. Madsen. (LDS)  

7. "Gaze into Heaven" by Marlene Bateman Sullivan. (LDS)

6. "To Heaven and Back" by Mary C. Neal, MD.

5. "When Will the Heaven Begin?" by Ally Breedlove.

4. "Four" by Virginia Roth.

3. "Allegiant" by Virgina Roth.

2. " Insurgent" by Virginia Roth.

1. "Divergent" by Virginia Roth.

• Like 15

Hello, BaWers! I've got active bookmarks in Life Reimagined (Barbara Bradley Haggerty) and I Hunt Killers (Barry Lyga), among other books. The reason I'm here this evening, though, is to post two images I think Stacia may like.

img_8092.jpg?w=640

img_8474.jpg?w=640

• Like 18

We spent last week doing a college visit and weekend with my 17 yo dd, which made the events of the week in the wider world seem somewhat surreal. I was also getting over a cold. I did some reading but probably not as much as I would have had I not felt compelled to go online for news.

I'm still reading for Bingo. In addition to Blackout and The Cruise of the Arctic Star, which I mentioned on last week's thread, I read She Stoops to Conquer for the 18th century square. I think I might have found it funnier if I knew the plays Goldsmith was satirizing. Or maybe if I had seen it performed instead of reading it. Also, I really didn't get what was so keen about Marlowe, considering the kind of lines he was dropping when he thought he had found a cute servant girl. I'm sure it could stand a re-read, though.

Since I used She Stoops to Conquer for the 18th century square, I still needed to read another play and I was sort of in the mood, so I downloaded Pygmalion onto my kindle while we were in the hotel room. I'm enjoying it more, and I guess it doesn't hurt that I have fond memories of watching My Fair Lady with my mom when it used to play on TV every couple years.

Then we hit Half Price books before we left town and I came away with a bunch of books for the kids, but alas, I didn't have time to look for myself. My husband, who almost exclusively reads books about Wall Street and investing, picked up a book by Michael Lewis (of The Blind Side fame) called Panic: The Story of Modern Financial Insanity, and since it was sitting next to me in the van, I picked it up and started thumbing through. Lewis is actually the editor of this one; he examines several financial panics - Black Monday in 1987, the tech bubble, the mortgage crisis, etc. - by reprinting articles and excerpts published just before the crash, during the crash, and after. It's kind of an interesting historical perspective. I won't read all of it because I'm not that interested in reading about financial markets, but some of the articles are interesting and well-written. Lewis includes some of his own work, and he is an excellent writer.

I hope those with colds feel better!

-Angela

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 15

Hello, BaWers! I've got active bookmarks in Life Reimagined (Barbara Bradley Haggerty) and I Hunt Killers (Barry Lyga), among other books. The reason I'm here this evening, though, is to post two images I think Stacia may like.

img_8092.jpg?w=640

img_8474.jpg?w=640

*Swoon*

Vonnegut nirvana!

Thanks, M--!

:) :grouphug:

P.S. (I'm just going to overlook that you put King Arthur stuff in there. :toetap05: :laugh: )

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 11

I've finally delved into The Elder Races, since the series has been recommended here.  I'm currently listening to the third book, Serpent's Kiss.  

I spent a little more time in bed this last week, recovering from therapy, so I listened to Archangel's Heart (Guild Hunter #9) by Nalini Singh, and Curse on the Land (Soulwood #2) by Faith Hunter.  The Soulwood series is set in the same world as the Jane Yellowrock novels, including a cross-over in the character of Rick LaFleur.  I enjoyed both.

I'm not Robin, but I agree with Kareni when it comes to M. L. Buchman.  I would consider his books light on the details, and more matter of fact than many when it comes to dealing with brutality.

• Like 17

I finished two books last week!

The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story by Susan Hill. Loved it and loved the dog!  I bet this would be good on audio.

The Winter Sea  by Susanna Kearsley. Liked the premise and was enjoying it until about halfway through, then I found myself skimming by the end.

I love love love Flufferton Abbey! I haven't read anything from Angela Thirkell or Stella Riley so am excited to have some new authors to read. Thanks, Amy!

• Like 12

I haven't read much Flufferton Abbey books. Maybe I need to try some once I've worked my way through my current book stack.

Books read this week:

• Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire. Urban Fantasy. A ball room dancing cryptozoologist defends the city against a cult. This was a dusty read for the 52 week bingo. It was given to me a couple years ago but I'd avoided reading the book because of the cover. I should have picked it up sooner. A fun read.
  • The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. Literary Fiction. A butler travels to meet a former coworker while reflecting on his past. When I get to the line "My heart is breaking" - it gets me every time. Well done, masterful writing. Love Ishiguro and adore this book.
  • Senlin Ascends by Josiah Bancroft. Steampunk Fantasy. On his honeymoon to the Tower of Babel, a man loses his wife and must climb the tower to find her.
  • The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. Epic Fantasy. In an elaborate second world setting, a slave struggles to find meaning, a nobleman doubts his sanity, and a lady must steal to save her family.

I have multiple 500+ page books to work through plus a big stack of library books. I'm not certain how I'm going to do it. DH and I are going on vacation next week so maybe I'll have time then. I'm working my way through The Golden Bough: A Study in Magic and Religion which examines different cultural traditions. It requires my attention when reading so the going is slow.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 16

Amy, thanks for your Flufferton post, I very much enjoyed it & it made me smile when reading it, so it seems as if you perfectly embody all the wonderful aspects of Flufferton!

Maybe I need to dip into some more Flufferton. I don't visit it often & think I might do me good if I did. The only book I can think of right now that might fit on the Flufferton list is Elizabeth von Arnim's The Enchanted April. It's just a lovely delight of a book.

Not sure my current book fits the Flufferton mold since it came from a list of books with unusual demons and devils. The blurb below does say it has one of the cutest literary hellspawn -- would that give it Flufferton status? :lol:  :D

Snake Agent by Liz Williams:

I think mumto2 & Jenn would enjoy this one.

From the descriptions I have read of the Liz Williams series I would probably describe it as Fluffy if I were writing a review of one of them. A bit of humour, certainly eyebrow raising oddities(which I love), so as long as no overly gorey situations or extremely violence. I consider many of my lighter reads fluffy. FlufferTON for me requires a bit of an atmosphere that paranormal type books normally don't have. Admittedly I only add the TON if I think Amy might be up for reading it! ;) :lol:

I finished two books last week!

The Woman in Black: A Ghost Story by Susan Hill. Loved it and loved the dog!  I bet this would be good on audio.

The Winter Sea  by Susanna Kearsley. Liked the premise and was enjoying it until about halfway through, then I found myself skimming by the end.

I love love love Flufferton Abbey! I haven't read anything from Angela Thirkell or Stella Riley so am excited to have some new authors to read. Thanks, Amy!

Thanks for the review of the Susan Hill book. I kept running into that book while lookinv for the series Jenn is reading. I thought it looked good. I plan to find it again and add it to my stack!

• Like 12

Thank you for the birthday wishes, Stacia. Birthday celebrating was postponed because of illness and busyness. Hopefully, Dh and I will get out tonight.

Most of my flufferton reading has been Austen and Wodehouse. I think the Importance of Being Earnest counts too.

I'm halfway through Inferno. It is still a fascinating and engaging story, but I grow weary of the chase. Plus, the author likes to periodically remind the reader of the ground we've covered so far. Dude, I know the villain has green eyes, the lady with the silver hair feels ill, etc., etc. Am I being picky?

Edited by Onceuponatime
  • Like 16

51. "Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival" by Joe Simpson.  Memoir of a climber who broke his leg and was left behind when his partner thought he was dead.  He survived, obviously, to write the book.

The documentary was extremely well done. It also interviews his climbing partner Yates (the man who cut the rope) and I found him just as empathetic as Simpson. Simpson was accepting of the choice whereas I could see Yates' agony over the decision he made.

• Like 12

I forgot to add: If anyone's interested in Discount Armageddon by Seanan McGuire I'd be happy to send it to you. The book is fun and funny, with fairy tale creatures from all sorts of cultures. It's urban fantasy with a romance element, but shuts the door on the details of adult relationships.

• Like 9

M--, the more I think about it, the more I think you really threw down the gauntlet by sullying the Vonnegut pics with the King Arthur books & chessboard.

Really. Really!?!

Boy, Stacia. We are just going to disagree on this one. I thought it was the perfect pairing, a nice set of books to live and die beside.

As for Flufferton, I definitely don't read enough of it. Austen is the only author I've read off that list. The Susan Branch looks lovely, and I do intend to read Anne of Green Gables sometime.

Edited by crstarlette
  • Like 11

National Book Awards will be given later in the week. You can see the long and short lists here. Remember that there is more than fiction and nonfiction. Young people's lit and poetry too!

Thanks you for the interesting browse. I ended up putting The Portable Veblen on hold because of the cover. I love red squirrels! :) https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/feb/18/the-portable-veblen-elizabeth-mckenzie-review

• Like 9

Thanks you for the interesting browse. I ended up putting The Portable Veblen on hold because of the cover. I love red squirrels! :) https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/feb/18/the-portable-veblen-elizabeth-mckenzie-review

Red squirrels carrying leprosy made the news on this side of the pond this week! Forsooth!

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/11/surprise-british-red-squirrels-carry-leprosy/507221/

• Like 11

I've finally delved into The Elder Races, since the series has been recommended here.  I'm currently listening to the third book, Serpent's Kiss

You're approaching book four, Oracle's Moon, which may surpass book one as my favorite in the series.

Thank you for the birthday wishes, Stacia. Birthday celebrating was postponed because of illness and busyness. Hopefully, Dh and I will get out tonight.

I hope that the celebrating will soon begin in earnest.  Sending happy wishes your way.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 12

50. "Why We Write About Ourselves: Twenty Memoirists on Why They Expose Themselves (and Others) in the name of Literature" ed. by Meredith Maran.  Inspirational!  Interesting look at what they leave out, too.

Literary Disco read and discussed that one a few months ago.  They all liked it and had a lot to say about it.

http://www.literarydisco.com/2016/04/07/episode-96-why-we-write-about-ourselves/

• Like 11

Last night I finished the historical romance Someone To Love (A Westcott Novel) by Mary Balogh; I did enjoy, it but it's not amongst my favorites by the author.  I read the book with particular interest because of allegations of racism that were raised by a reviewer.  You can read that review (and comments including those by the author) here.

"Humphrey Westcott, Earl of Riverdale, has died, leaving behind a fortune that will forever alter the lives of everyone in his family—including the daughter no one knew he had...

Anna Snow grew up in an orphanage in Bath knowing nothing of the family she came from. Now she discovers that the late Earl of Riverdale was her father and that she has inherited his fortune. She is also overjoyed to learn she has siblings. However, they want nothing to do with her or her attempts to share her new wealth. But the new earl’s guardian is interested in Anna…

Avery Archer, Duke of Netherby, keeps others at a distance. Yet something prompts him to aid Anna in her transition from orphan to lady. As London society and her newfound relatives threaten to overwhelm Anna, Avery steps in to rescue her and finds himself vulnerable to feelings and desires he has hidden so well and for so long."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 9

Chuckling at Stacia's reply. And replying to Jane in NC (from last week).

MMV, always good to see you.  Are you aware that you can see the Henry VI cycle in Atlanta this month?  I have friends who are traveling there from the west coast for that purpose.

Thank you! I hadn't heard about the Atlanta production, but we adored the Chicago Shakespeare Theater's two-part Tug of War. Foreign Fire covered Edward III, Henry V, and Henry VI, Part 1; Civil Strife covered Henry VI, Parts 2 and 3, and Richard III.

Six hours of Shakespeare per part = three plays, two snacks, and a meal. It was quite wonderful, particularly Civil Strife.

Edited by M--
  • Like 11

Red squirrels carrying leprosy made the news on this side of the pond this week! Forsooth!http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/11/surprise-british-red-squirrels-carry-leprosy/507221/

I know, I hope they figure out why and are able to save them. They are so sweet and very special. We have only spotted one twice in all our time here. Both times at large National Trust properties. We do tons of nature walks and see an amazing variety of creatures but red squirrels just are not common.

Last night I finished the historical romance Someone To Love (A Westcott Novel) by Mary Balogh; I did enjoy, it but it's not amongst my favorites by the author.  I read the book with particular interest because of allegations of racism that were raised by a reviewer.  You can read that review (and comments including those by the author) here.

"Humphrey Westcott, Earl of Riverdale, has died, leaving behind a fortune that will forever alter the lives of everyone in his family—including the daughter no one knew he had... 

Anna Snow grew up in an orphanage in Bath knowing nothing of the family she came from. Now she discovers that the late Earl of Riverdale was her father and that she has inherited his fortune. She is also overjoyed to learn she has siblings. However, they want nothing to do with her or her attempts to share her new wealth. But the new earl’s guardian is interested in Anna…

Avery Archer, Duke of Netherby, keeps others at a distance. Yet something prompts him to aid Anna in her transition from orphan to lady. As London society and her newfound relatives threaten to overwhelm Anna, Avery steps in to rescue her and finds himself vulnerable to feelings and desires he has hidden so well and for so long."

Regards,

Kareni

My hold on this just became available yesterday. I am now curious. Plan to come back and read the comments after I read it.

• Like 11

Some book-ish posts ~

Listen Up: Books We Recommend on Audio Instead of Print  by Jamie Canaves

For Jane Austen fans ~  Goodnight Mr. Darcy: A BabyLit® Parody Picture Book  by Kate Coombs and Alli Arnold

The following is not a new book, but I'd never heard of it and have put a hold on it at my library.  I've never been a fan of the Giving Tree, so this parody sounds appealing ~  The Taking Tree: A Selfish Parody  by Shrill Travesty 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 11

I saw this new series of columns at Tor.com today.  Perhaps this post will interest you ~

I Love Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. What Should I Read Next?

I found several books I want to read from that list.

I did read it  as a kid, and boy did I identify with Anne's imagination!   :laugh: I was so pleasantly surprised that I still felt the magic of it as an adult!

Good to know. I've been afraid to reread it because I don't want to ruin my memory of the books. 

On the Flufferton theme:

Who doesn't love Austen and Wodehouse?  While Wooster and Jeeves get a lot of attention, my favorites are the Psmith (the P is silent) books and Love Among the Chickens. 

My library doesn't have any of the Psmith books. I might break down and buy them. 

I love that book. 

I finished two short stories by Fitzgerald. I've now started Breakfast of Champions since I've never read Vonnegurt and figured it was time. 

• Like 13

On the Flufferton theme:

And I have a shelf of Thirkells, the best comfort read of all time, perhaps, along with Miss Read. 

I'm not sure I actually love Wodehouse...  :blushing:  :ph34r:  Maybe I've just not read the right books yet. Or maybe I've just not read one at the right time. I do enjoy the gardening books of his contemporary, Beverley Nichols. Perhaps because they had a bit more substance? I usually read them with gardening catalogs nearby.  During the pauses in laughter, I try to look up the flowers he's mentioned. 

I've only tried one Jeeves book -- maybe I picked a bad one. I've not heard of the others you've mentioned; I'll look into them. Thanks! 

Stiff Upper Lip, Jeeves is the I read. Is it one of the better ones, or not? (I'm hoping not. ;) ) I didn't dislike it, I just didn't like it as well as I had hoped.

• Like 10