Menu

Want input regarding vehicle decision

StaceyinLA

I drive a 2008 Yukon XL. I have mainly driven large vehicles because we had 4 kids, then, once the grandkids started coming and dd and her dh were sharing a vehicle, I just kept a bigger one so I could always have room for plenty extras.

Well now I'm just itching to have something new. I REALLY want to go to a smaller vehicle that gets better gas mileage and is just more fun to drive. Most of those will seat 5 people.

My adult daughters both have large vehicles that seat plenty (one a Yukon XL and one a minivan). Though I do have a couple of kids with me maybe once/week or so, if I ever need to carry more than that (like all 3 of dd's kids or both of my other dd's kids) at once, I could just trade vehicles with whomever's kids I have.

So WWYD?? Would you keep a big, paid off gas guzzler, or would you trade it in on a smaller, more economical to drive vehicle? I'm looking at a Chevy Trax or Buick Encore. I just LOVE the way they look and could get one really loaded and have a pretty small note (I think the gas savings alone would probably make up for $100/month of it too).

I'm just wondering if I'm being really stupid not keeping something I can carry everyone around in, or if I should embrace the fact that I don't HAVE to own something that large, and my kids are responsible to have something big enough for their families.

Thoughts?

PS if it matters, this is my 4th Yukon/Suburban I've owned and I've owned 5 minivans as well.

Edited by StaceyinLA

There are certainly pros and cons to having a big vehicle. That's my struggle. I think I'd trade the Yukon either way at this point though, because it is so much easier to load the kids in and out of a minivan. I guess I just like the idea of going more "fun" than a minivan at this point. I could do something like an Acadia, but I did drive a Traverse for a year and it wasn't my favorite. Also if I want it to have a noticeable impact on the gas expense, I need to go smaller. I don't want to drive a car; the encore/Trax seems like a happy medium because it gives that little bit of height over a car. I'm fairly short, so getting in and out of the Yukon definitely requires using my running bar.

At this point, I wouldn't have more than 3 kids for sure, though I doubt I could even get 3 car seats in the back of either of the vehicles mentioned. The 2 youngest are still nursing so I don't really take them anywhere, and trading vehicles is definitely an option if needed.

I drove a Sequoia for 10 years daily.  I thought I would never want a small vehicle that is low to the ground.

But in 2014 we got a Toyota Camry Hybrid and I love it.  The gas is great and I can park it so much easier!

The Camry was meant to be for DH but then I got a job and I drive more/longer.

Now he wants his Camry back and our vehicle he was driving just died (well, dead to us, costs more to fix than it is worth)  So I am getting a Mini Cooper!  They make a little SUV if you are interested.  They are so cute!

Ahh, yes. 

I prefer to sit high and like bigger vehicles/suvs.  DH is more practical and ALWAYS consider the cost. 

My minivan lasted for 10 or so years and just stopped.  We replaced it with a pre-owned Toyota Highlander.  I REALLY like the Sequoia a lot but he would not hear of it b/c of the gas consumption issue.  I prefer not to drive Suburban's, Tahoe, etc as they are just too big and thought the Sequoia was a happy, middle place. 

We ended up with a Highlander that is nice and I like it.  It must have been owned by a sales rep or such in the past b/c it's fully loaded.  :)

My "going smaller" was to go from a Suburban to a Honda Pilot. Hondas are a much better quality vehicle. I live on a rough dirt road in NH and need 4wd. This is the only car I have ever owned in my LIFE which reached 100k miles. I usually get so sick of repairs that I traded in and got a new car. My Pilot has 128k miles and runs like it did the day I drove it off the lot. I am now a HUGE Honda fan and plan to stick with them.

My husband just buys commuter cars which will lastonly a few years. His.little Fit does awesome on our road. I hate tiny cars like that.

So I would suggest one of the sportier looking Hondas, but maybe that isn't what you're looking for.

I am driving my paid for Yukon xl and have conflicting thoughts about going smaller too.

I don't very often haul grandkids anymore, but DH loves having a truck when he is the mood to pull out a tree or haul a refrigerator for someone. However most of the time there is just the three of us in my Yukon. Me, myself and I.

I don't love the jump to get into it anymore at all, and it is much harder in the passenger side for me to get into than the drivers side. I really dislike In a most intense way having to drive my husband's Buick on the rare occasion I have to. I hate working out of a trunk. I hate sitting so low, and I hate getting In and out of a car. But I have been driving either a suburban or Yukon xl for 25 years. The current one is our 4th.

I did drive a grand whatever it is Jeep last year. Loved it. I like the Arcadia looks better then th Buick, but I might have a negative attitude about the Buick as my husband is in his third Buick that my kids all refer to,as the old man car.

I have many friends who drive the Equinox. All of them say they don't have enough cargo space and one said it feels cheap as compared to the Acadia. She is looking to downsize from her town and country van, and is looking at a Ford. Can't recall which one.

I think a grand Cherokee jeep or the Arcadia is what I would downsize to.

if  your budget wouldn't have an issue, I'd get something smaller and just trade cars with them when you have their kids. bonus of: you wouldn't have to move car seats.

I've been looking at downsizing (minivan) to a mid-size suv.  the thing most keeping me from doing so  is hauling capacity.   It's also the thing making me hesitate over my chosen vehicle (highlander) is lack of storage behind the third seat. (which is really only fit for kids) dh keeps pointing out - we only have two at home, and I really only go places  with one.

I drive a Suburban, which of course is needed for many kids and is great for driving in snow.  I loathe city driving in it, as I like a little more space cushion than narrow lanes allow, not to mention trying to park the thing.

My dh has a Pilot.  I'm short and prefer being higher in the Suburban, though the Pilot is better for city driving and parking.

Recently I noticed something about the Ford Bronco coming back, though I don't know when.  I'd probably check that out, or something of a similar size and height, if I didn't need the Suburban.

We had a similar situation (no grandchildren, but kids getting married).  We decided to sell both of our larger vehicles in the end, and downsized to a Honda CRV.  One of the best decisions I've made in the past few years.  It still holds 5 people, gets really good mileage, has awesome storage space, all wheel drive.  When there are times that we need more drivers, three of my young adult kids now have their own cars.

Thanks for all the input! I know going smaller is going to have its downsides for sure; that's why I really want to think it through, and wanted other people's experiences.

We live on a gravel road as well, and the Yukon certainly handles that well, but I do travel into the city at least a couple times a week for shopping and errands, and the gas mileage is just AWFUL with the city driving. I rarely do better than 16 mpg. The maneuverability is a drag too. I do know that I'd miss the ability to tow, even though that's something I rarely do, and dd will still have her Yukon (my husband has a 4-dr Ford truck that can tow as well).

A lot of people have been getting new vehicles and I just want one that is more economical and cute with some updated gadgets and goodies. Lame I know, but I can't help myself. ;-p

Edited by StaceyinLA

Do you drive enough miles to make fuel efficiency an issue - then yes. Jeeps, Honda CRVs, Buick Encore,  etc. are smaller SUVs where you still get four wheel drive capacity but not the high gas bill.

If you only drive a few miles and it would hardly make a difference I'd stick with it. But then I hate shopping for big ticket items... :)

Edited by Liz CA

I've been there. I drove first a Yukon and then a Yukon xl. I didn't need the space I had two kids. I loved those cars. My kids grew up - youngest is 17 and rarely in my car - we bought a Honda Pilot. It's a great car. It fits our needs so much better and the gas mileage is much better. That being said, I loved those big cars. If I were rich and could drive whatever I wanted regardless of price and gas mileage I would go right back to those big cars. My current drool is the Infiniti suvs, but would drive another xl in a heartbeat!

I'm driving a suburban and I'm starting to think about something smaller, too, but I'm not quite ready. A couple weeks ago, dh took me out to do some test driving, and I got all teary about not needing the suburban any more (kids are growing up, only 2 at home.)

We live where we need 4wd, but at our last duty station, we bought a fun little Miata for me to buzz around in. It was soooo fun! So, I had the suburban for kid stuff, but I could hop in the convertible for most of my daily running around. We sold it before our move this summer, because it really is silly to move with three cars, blah blah blah! I miss that little cutie!

So my very impractical solution is: hang onto your big beast and buy something totally fun for just you!!

When I get to the point that I can emotionally handle it, I'm considering a Jeep Cherokee or something similar for my next car.

On gas mileage and driving, we live about an hour from the city where I do most of my shopping. I don't drive a ton, but I do drive enough where I think it'll drop my gas bill $100.

I'll check out that Cadillac. My sister has a Cadillac and loves it!

Oops - just looked at that one and the price is a good $15K more than what I'm looking at.

Edited by StaceyinLA

I drive a 2008 Yukon XL. I have mainly driven large vehicles because we had 4 kids, then, once the grandkids started coming and dd and her dh were sharing a vehicle, I just kept a bigger one so I could always have room for plenty extras.

Well now I'm just itching to have something new. I REALLY want to go to a smaller vehicle that gets better gas mileage and is just more fun to drive. Most of those will seat 5 people.

My adult daughters both have large vehicles that seat plenty (one a Yukon XL and one a minivan). Though I do have a couple of kids with me maybe once/week or so, if I ever need to carry more than that (like all 3 of dd's kids or both of my other dd's kids) at once, I could just trade vehicles with whomever's kids I have.

So WWYD?? Would you keep a big, paid off gas guzzler, or would you trade it in on a smaller, more economical to drive vehicle? I'm looking at a Chevy Trax or Buick Encore. I just LOVE the way they look and could get one really loaded and have a pretty small note (I think the gas savings alone would probably make up for $100/month of it too).

I'm just wondering if I'm being really stupid not keeping something I can carry everyone around in, or if I should embrace the fact that I don't HAVE to own something that large, and my kids are responsible to have something big enough for their families.

Thoughts?

PS if it matters, this is my 4th Yukon/Suburban I've owned and I've owned 5 minivans as well.

Don't be surprised if gas mileage doesn't work out like you think. My huge van gets better gas mileage than my 4 seater SUV.

I'm not in favor of car payments so would always go for the paid off vehicle. I have not had a car payment in 20 years. So that colors my view.

But if I could pay cash, I get what I want. I just bought a vehicle for its color and under 10K mileage. ;). When will I get that chance again? ;)

Edited by TranquilMind

I haven't read the responses.

Radical Personal Finance had a recent podcast about upgrading for better gas mileage. https://radicalpersonalfinance.com/dont-upgrade-car-for-gas-mileage/

Summary: Even if gas prices double and you were to trade up from a 15 mpg vehicle to a Prius, it would take years for the gas savings to make up for the cost of the new vehicle. The only way the math works in your favor is to trade to a more fuel efficient vehicle that costs the same or less as what you sell the old car for. Most people never run the numbers and would be shocked to find that the car that is supposed to save them money typically takes 5-6 to break even.

Now, if you want a different car for other reasons, go for it and choose a more efficient one. But most of the time, buying to save on gas actually costs more money than it saves.

Edited by HoppyTheToad