Menu

explain appeal of The Christmas Story

regentrude

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We watch it every Christmas Eve, with Chinese take out. :)

I don't think there's anything about it to miss as an immigrant; it probably just doesn't appeal to the OP's sense of humor.

I think a play version sounds lame, though. Part of what makes it awesome is the acting.

oh my gosh!!! We need to do Chinese take out for Christmas Eve!!
  • Like 1

I have celebrated xmas in Germany a couple of times.  What strikes me is it's more solemn than here.  There is still eating and a bit of decorating and gathering with family, but it's not quite as jovial (for lack of a better way of putting it).

Of course his family could just be very different.  (that anyway)

No, I think your observation is quite general.

I would not exactly say solemn vs jovial, but the contrast is like the one between wooden decorations vs glittery plastic, a capella traditional carols vs band accompanied pop songs, live candles vs strings of blinking lights all over the house. Christmas in the US is louder, more glittery, more food, and lots and lots more stuff.

A work Christmas party back home was candle light, cookies, hot mulled wine or tea, carols, and secret Santa.

I was quite confused when I attended my first department Christmas party at the uni in CA; people wore party frocks, and there was a disco.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

I think part of it might be that it is pushed on us as kids (maybe this is a generational thing? I'm a Millennial) and the humor is not really a child's humor. Maybe if I rewatched as an adult it would be funnier?

I'm a millennial as well, and find it extremely hilarious. I've been watching it every Christmas since I was 5. Obviously parts of the humor went over my head but not all of it. I may not have understood why the mom was so against that lamp but I could recognize it was a ridiculous lamp and could be embarrassing. Obviously didn't realize why it was embarrassing. Santa kicking the kid down the slide when he wouldn't go and there is a huge line, all the silly daydreams, getting a disappointing thing in the mail, the little brother falling in the snow... these were all things I could relate to even as a young kid and find humor in.

• Like 3

oh my gosh!!! We need to do Chinese take out for Christmas Eve!!

My mom's side (25 people) usually does Christmas on Christmas Night.  Last year more than half of the people who usually attend were elsewhere with other branches of their families which made it really weird for those of us who went to mom's.  Instead of wallowing in the strangeness of it, we decided to make it different in a completely new way.  So instead of the Mexican food we had Chinese take out like Ralphie's family.  Instead of all our usual people hanging out we set off fireworks which were recently legalized here. It was fun.

It sounds horrid. Like a dreadful version of A Child's Christmas in Wales. Regentrude, from the description, I would say that it was probably cultural, and that I am not the right culture either. : ) Something that did strike me as very funny was the book The Best Christmas Pagent Ever. That one is more a cultural match for me.

I stuck my tongue to the side of the house growing up. There was this great icicle hanging off the shingles and I was thirsty from playing in the snow and I disliked eating icicles that had fuzz on them from my wool mittens and it was too cold to want to take my mittens off ... Everyone I have ever talked to about it has said they had stuck their tongue to an icicle too, growing up, but thought I was pretty stupid to get stuck to a house.

It's a Wonderful Life is another "good" Christmas movie that I think is awful and don,t understand. What is Christmasy about a long string of awful things happening to someone?

Nan

• Like 3

This boomer has never "gotten" it either.  Admittedly I think I have only watched five or ten minutes of the film.  The acting was horrible which is supposed to be part of the 'charm'.  For me it was painful.

But then most people are probably not keen on my favorite holiday film, Holiday Inn.  Bing and Fred.  Love 'em.

• Like 1

This happened to my husband. His brothers were really good at that sort of thing. Sigh.

Nan

My brothers would touch the electric fence and whoever was standing next to them at the same time to zap them.

Our cow once wrapped its tongue around the electric wire while standing ankle deep in irrigation water.  That was loud.

You know I'm sorry, but given how much of the leg that lamp is ... calling it a goofy arse lamp is ... too close to the truth! :D :D

btw I really did enjoy this movie and found it hilarious. It's sort of the stereotypical average 50s family in the US. 

Don't forget randy's snowsuit. Although the first time we watched this (we didn't do movies when I was a kid) my mom and I both expected him to have to pee instead of complaining about not being able to get his arms down. 

I love that movie. I grew up on Florida and still find SO MUCH to relate to. I think it's a celebration of average, of good enough. And it captures a nostalgia for a time when helicopter parents weren't a thing. 

I SO related to the thing where the mom "handles" the father so the kid doesn't get in trouble, and how grateful the kid is. And the food getting ruined, but they still have a fun time...that's my life. 

The dad getting the gift that is probably not really appropriate, just because he truly understand's his son's wish and desire....that's so sweet. 

Heck, even the sitting around in pajamas, with a glass of wine, with wrapping paper everywhere...yeah, that's Christmas :)

I adore that movie. 

SaveSave

SaveSave

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 5

I am not quite sure why people think the dad isn't nice. I think the dad is a little rough, maybe not super nurturing or whatever. But I think that scenes like when they are at the parade and then they pick the kids up after seeing Santa, and especially at the end when he gives the kid the BB gun, you can tell he does love the kids, does care about their happiness, just not in an affectionate sort of way.

Same here. I don't get people saying the Dad is mean, at all. I can't remember him being mean in the movie. Loud. Crass. But not mean. 

• Like 2

I think part of it might be that it is pushed on us as kids (maybe this is a generational thing?  I'm a Millennial) and the humor is not really a child's humor.  Maybe if I rewatched as an adult it would be funnier?

Oh, it's definitely for adults, not kids.  It's about nostalgia, and as a kid you are too young to have nostalgia :)

Also, it may not work for a millennial. I'm end of Gen X and probably the last to have the kind of childhood the movie showcases. 

• Like 2

It sounds horrid. Like a dreadful version of A Child's Christmas in Wales. Regentrude, from the description, I would say that it was probably cultural, and that I am not the right culture either. : ) Something that did strike me as very funny was the book The Best Christmas Pagent Ever. That one is more a cultural match for me.

Off topic, but The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is another one that gets rave reviews but I didn't care for at all. I couldn't finish it (the book, that is). I tried to read it aloud last year. I think you have to have a familiarity and history with the traditional religious holiday trappings in order for it to be truly funny. I've never seen a pageant of any sort, and my kids don't really know what goes on in churches.

Possibly that is what it is - I had, in many ways, a very cushy childhood.  I could not relate to the violence and negativity and pain with anything but fear/revulsion, as I experienced pretty much none of that as a kid.  Santas were always nice, my parents didn't fight (in front of me, anyway), no one beat me up or wanted to, I didn't fight with my only sibling (who was much younger), no one ever had a BB gun around me and I was not afraid of having my eye shot out, my parents never insisted that I wear anything I didn't want to, I didn't have relatives who gave me weird unwanted presents, and I never saw or heard of anyone getting their tongue stuck to a pole.  So for me, the movie was sort of a window into a kind of childhood I didn't have and didn't want to have,  I guess.

My feelings about this movie are stronger than I thought!  I did really resent having to watch it in school or after school care every year.

• Like 1

Possibly that is what it is - I had, in many ways, a very cushy childhood.  I could not relate to the violence and negativity and pain with anything but fear/revulsion, as I experienced pretty much none of that as a kid.  Santas were always nice, my parents didn't fight (in front of me, anyway), no one beat me up or wanted to, I didn't fight with my only sibling (who was much younger), no one ever had a BB gun around me and I was not afraid of having my eye shot out, my parents never insisted that I wear anything I didn't want to, I didn't have relatives who gave me weird unwanted presents, and I never saw or heard of anyone getting their tongue stuck to a pole.  So for me, the movie was sort of a window into a kind of childhood I didn't have and didn't want to have,  I guess.

My feelings about this movie are stronger than I thought!  I did really resent having to watch it in school or after school care every year.

I'm sitting here cracking up, because I also had a pretty cushy childhood, but I sat on mean Santa's lap, my parents fought, I got in a few fights at school, my brother and I fought constantly, my dad taught us to shoot his bb gun and .22 as soon as we were strong enough to hold them steady, my mother made me wear red corduroy pants and a homemade "M is for Mickey" sweatshirt when I was 11, etc. FTR, I think the movie is hilarious.  :lol:

• Like 2

I am a native of the city (name changed) that the movie is set in.  When the movie was released, I still lived there.  I saw the movie then and thought it was an amazing masterpiece of humor.  A couple of Christmases ago I showed it to my children.  I had talked it up as such an entertaining comedy.  My children could not get the appeal, and, watching it with them, neither could I.  I think the movie did not age well.  Maybe I aged better?

Off topic, but The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is another one that gets rave reviews but I didn't care for at all. I couldn't finish it (the book, that is). I tried to read it aloud last year. I think you have to have a familiarity and history with the traditional religious holiday trappings in order for it to be truly funny. I've never seen a pageant of any sort, and my kids don't really know what goes on in churches.

I,m sure that is true. I don,t know why our church did a Christmas pageant. It is a sketchy undertaking even under ideal conditions lol. This is most probably another funny-if-you-have-survived-it story. I didn,t survive the movie under discussion (and neither did Regentrude or Jane), but I have survived small town Christmas pageants, so the disasters strike me as funny, at least now, from a safe distance. I doubt I would enjoy it if I were in charge of the play. It would just make my stomach feel sick and my teeth clench, probably.

Nan

My brothers would touch the electric fence and whoever was standing next to them at the same time to zap them.

Our cow once wrapped its tongue around the electric wire while standing ankle deep in irrigation water. That was loud.

Bet she didn,t do that again!

Youngest watched a bunch of city kids step over an electric fence one time. It did not go well.

When we were kids, my husband taught me to test fences with a piece of grass to see if they are live. (In case reading this makes anyone scared of wire fences now.)

Nan

I do think that part of it is that you're an immigrant.  At least that's why I think I don't like it so much - I'm not an immigrant but my parents were & so I can't relate to much of it.

I actually can't stand the movie - it makes me feel awful and I seriously want to cry.  DH can appreciate the humor but his family is much more "typical American".   

I would not exactly say solemn vs jovial, but the contrast is like the one between wooden decorations vs glittery plastic, a capella traditional carols vs band accompanied pop songs, live candles vs strings of blinking lights all over the house. Christmas in the US is louder, more glittery, more food, and lots and lots more stuff.

A work Christmas party back home was candle light, cookies, hot mulled wine or tea, carols, and secret Santa.

I was quite confused when I attended my first department Christmas party at the uni in CA; people wore party frocks, and there was a disco.

Yes, my xmases growing up - even in the US - were much more like what you describe in Germany.  Much of it was a blend but the overall atmosphere of xmas was much more calm.  I prefer that.

It came out when I was 10. I didn't watch it until I was 15 when a friend of mine who had seen it with her dad showed it to me. She had loved it when she saw it at 10 and I loved it at 15.

I started showing it to my kids a number of years ago and they've always loved it.

I don't believe it's an age thing. It *might* be a cultural thing. I think it's just a sense of humor thing. We all have different things that strike us as funny.

I tried reading The Best Christmas Pagent Ever book to the kids out loud last year and we all greatly disliked it. They were 10 and 13 at the time. I didn't find that book funny At All. I thought it was just sad.

It's like The Princess Bride. People tend to have hot/cold feelings about that one, too. Or Napoleon Dynamite.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

But it's ridiculous to say that your description of Christmas is quintessentially American. None of that reflects what I grew up with or have in my home, and I'm sure that's not uncommon. I've never seen anything like it, in fact. Of course that's not to say it doesn't exist, but it's certainly not what I would call typical.

It's ridiculous to assume there is ANY typically American way of celebrating winter holidays for that matter. Secular, religious, glittery, quiet...we get it all and it's all good. I'm grateful we aren't as tradition bound as many other places.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 2

I do think that part of it is that you're an immigrant. At least that's why I think I don't like it so much - I'm not an immigrant but my parents were & so I can't relate to much of it.

I actually can't stand the movie - it makes me feel awful and I seriously want to cry. DH can appreciate the humor but his family is much more "typical American".

Aw--that's sad that you feel sad by it. What is it about it that makes you feel that way?

But it's ridiculous to say that your description of Christmas is quintessentially American. None of that reflects what I grew up with or have in my home, and I'm sure that's not uncommon. I've never seen anything like it, in fact. Of course that's not to say it doesn't exist, but it's certainly not what I would call typical.

I don't know what is quintessential - I just notice differences that seem rather pervasive to me.

You cannot even put candles on a tree here. They are all trimmed on the field to grow in a conical shape that makes it impossible. 

So no, I have not seen a single tree with real candles anywhere since I came to the US. 

(Nor a nutcracker that was not made in China -except in my own home. Nor straw ornaments). 

And you are really telling me in your town houses are not decked out in blinking lights, nodding light -outlined rein deer on the lawn? No life size inflatable Santas? People not wearing sweaters that scream Christmas from Halloween on? Stores not full of glitter and obnoxious Christmas pop? You've "never seen anything like it"? 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Not 8circles, but a movie where the adults misunderstand the children and don,t seem to be getting along, even at Christmas, would make me sad, too. I think the amount of bickering within a family that is tolerated is part of the family culture. If you come from a family culture where bickering is not acceptable, families that bicker may seem sad to you. Just in case that helps...

Nan

• Like 2

When I married my dh, I was introduced to The Christmas Story, and I hate it with a passion. Blech. Nothing deep, I just can't stand any of the characters or storylines. It is not my type of humor. I also hate It's a Wonderful Life. Passionately. Luckily, my dh doesn't like to watch that one. 

I DO love Christmas Vacation. :)

It's a Wonderful Life is another "good" Christmas movie that I think is awful and don,t understand. What is Christmasy about a long string of awful things happening to someone?

Now this one I really love.

I don't think it is a string of awful things - just an ordinary life with several disappointments for a guy who never gets to live his big dream and see the world, until a crisis takes him to the brink and the angel shows him what a big difference his ordinary life has made for the people around him. I find it very uplifting and beautiful - and pertinent, because it is so easy to lose sight. I love the ending when everybody comes together to help him out.

• Like 4

It's ridiculous to assume there is ANY typically American way of celebrating winter holidays for that matter. Secular, religious, glittery, quiet...we get it all and it's all good. I'm grateful we aren't as tradition bound as many other places.

It sounds like you took offense at regentrude's description and I'm pretty certain it wasn't meant that way.  Her description of American xmas vs xmas in Germany is really just pointing out the more obvious features.  Many American xmases might be missing some of these more obvious features, but they still have the same atmosphere.  American xmases are different than in many places in Europe.  It doesn't make them worse, but they are absolutely different.

• Like 1

Not 8circles, but a movie where the adults misunderstand the children and don,t seem to be getting along, even at Christmas, would make me sad, too. I think the amount of bickering within a family that is tolerated is part of the family culture. If you come from a family culture where bickering is not acceptable, families that bicker may seem sad to you. Just in case that helps...

Nan

Yeah, I could see this happening.  I don't think it's why I don't like it - my family was far from non-bickering - but the family culture of that movie just seems so... off.  IDK.

• Like 2

It sounds like you took offense at regentrude's description and I'm pretty certain it wasn't meant that way. Her description of American xmas vs xmas in Germany is really just pointing out the more obvious features. Many American xmases might be missing some of these more obvious features, but they still have the same atmosphere. American xmases are different than in many places in Europe. It doesn't make them worse, but they are absolutely different.

Yeah, I'm aware. My mother is German. :)

I don't know what is quintessential - I just notice differences that seem rather pervasive to me.

You cannot even put candles on a tree here. They are all trimmed on the field to grow in a conical shape that makes it impossible.

So no, I have not seen a single tree with real candles anywhere since I came to the US.

(Nor a nutcracker that was not made in China -except in my own home. Nor straw ornaments).

And you are really telling me in your town houses are not decked out in blinking lights, nodding light -outlined rein deer on the lawn? No life size inflatable Santas? People not wearing sweaters that scream Christmas from Halloween on? Stores not full of glitter and obnoxious Christmas pop? You've "never seen anything like it"?

Not like you describe, no. I've never lived in a neighbourhood like that, but it does make me think of Christmas Vacation, which is hilarious in how blatantly overdone it is.

I have German nutcrackers and hang straw ornaments on my tree, fwiw. And we had candles on the tree as a child. Straw ornaments are very common, even Target carries them.

Not like you describe, no. I've never lived in a neighbourhood like that, but it does make me think of Christmas Vacation, which is hilarious in how blatantly overdone it is.

I have German nutcrackers and hang straw ornaments on my tree, fwiw. And we had candles on the tree as a child. Straw ornaments are very common, even Target carries them.

Awww... I want to move where you are. Here everything is loud, overdone, China made. 

But then, it's 100 miles to the nearest Target, so what do I know.

ETA: But it was very similar to here when I lived in Southern CA, so it's not just regional.

Edited by regentrude

I don't think it is a string of awful things - just an ordinary life with several disappointments for a guy who never gets to live his big dream and see the world, until a crisis takes him to the brink and the angel shows him what a big difference his ordinary life has made for the people around him. I find it very uplifting and beautiful - and pertinent, because it is so easy to lose sight. I love the ending when everybody comes together to help him out.

Yeah, we watched this a few years ago as a family and all of us were mopping our eyes at the end -- but with the joyful 'isn't that wonderful' tears, not the 'that's so sad' ones. 

I do think that part of it is that you're an immigrant.  At least that's why I think I don't like it so much - I'm not an immigrant but my parents were & so I can't relate to much of it.

I actually can't stand the movie - it makes me feel awful and I seriously want to cry.  DH can appreciate the humor but his family is much more "typical American".   

Yes, my xmases growing up - even in the US - were much more like what you describe in Germany.  Much of it was a blend but the overall atmosphere of xmas was much more calm.  I prefer that.

no, that has nothing to do with it.  I'm not an immigrant, and my most recent ancestor who was an immigrant immigrated at age 20  in 1870.   my mother was 7 when she moved from the midwest. 

I can't stand the movie.  someone gave me a copy one year for christmas, they loved it.

we prefer nobels -- we're very picky about trees,  it's been hard - but not impossible - to find a decent looking fake noble (which has lovely spacing, perfect for decorating).  tree farms have started shearing nobles.  really?  really?? 

dh spent two christmases in austria.  he's very proud of the pictures of his tree with real candles.  I bought dh some electric candle tree lights one year. . . . I have to put them on, he never has time.  (it is a very busy time of year for him.)  they're also on a separate circuit so only the candle lights are on.

now - we have our own "tree" farm of nobles growing in the yard.  I miss the scent.  I've brought wreaths inside - they don't have enough smell.  I may buy some strung cedar boughs from costco this year - just for the scent.

we have no outdoor lights. I did want a star .. but it never got put up.  my favorite 3d animal was a pix from my neice when she was in dallas.  it was a texas longhorn and an outline of texas with the words "merry christmas y'all" across it.

Nan

christmas eve equaled bickering/glaring between my mother, my sister, and my grandmother. every. single. year.  it really was very pathetic.  

really -  there are so more positive ways the time can be spent.

eta: that neice is back in the DFW area - except they're in an apartment. .. but dd just bought a house .=D  I'll have to suggest to dd and dsil they need a 3d texas  longhorn.

Edited by gardenmom5

Yes, This is exactly how the movie makes me feel too. 

But we did have glitzy plasticky (but poor) Christmases.  My dad was afraid of fire so not only did we not have candles, we didn't even have a real tree.

Awww... I want to move where you are. Here everything is loud, overdone, China made. 

But then, it's 100 miles to the nearest Target, so what do I know.

ETA: But it was very similar to here when I lived in Southern CA, so it's not just regional.

Target is where we bought all the Christmas glitz! (when we had more money)

They do not sell trees in which you can put candles at Target, either.

I can't imagine a tree that is shaped differently, so you can put candles on them. Anyone got a photo?  Do they just have less branches, with more spacing?

This is the favorite tree:

https://www.kaisertanne.de/epages/es640746.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/es640746/Products/Nordmann-Tanne-225-250

and here examples with candles

I think this one is a fir

https://www.asuro.de/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/151216_adventsbrand_weihnachtsbaum.jpg

http://www.ndr.de/media/tannenbaum175_v-contentgross.jpg

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

Hmmm... Maybe I,ll have to try again. I don,t remember anything good happening, even at the end.

Hmmm... Maybe I,ll have to try again. I don,t remember anything good happening, even at the end.

he wants to kill himself and then the angel shows him how the town would have turned out if it had not been for him. He realizes he does want to have lived, goes back to the bridge and wants his life back.

He then runs home to his family, and there he finds the house full of friends and acquaintances who have heard of the misfortune with the lost money and have come together and collected money to help him out. His brother comes, everybody is there, the bell rings because the angel got his wings, and it is a very happy-ever-after moment. Just beautiful. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 8