Menu

Would you go to the ER?

Storygirl

I'm not certain. I described what I'm feeling to DH, and he thinks it is probably stress related. I am stressed, because I'm busy cooking, shopping, and cleaning for a party at my house this weekend. I've been tired from the busyness, and the last two days I've had a bad headache (possibly migraine, though my headaches are never just on one side of my head).

My question isn't about my head, though. I have tightness across my back, between my shoulder blades. I do get this periodically. Last year, my doctor did a chest x-ray and found nothing unusual with my lungs. I don't have a diagnosis of asthma, but I do have an inhaler that I use sometimes, because when I get sick or run down, I cough.

I used the inhaler this morning, but my back still feels tight. Also one day last week, I felt a pang of pain in my chest when I was leaning over to look in a drawer. It concerned me enough to mention it to DH, but I chalked it up to a random pain.

Back pain can be a symptom of heart problems. I'm not having chest pain or pain in my arms, jaws, etc. My back feels tight but does not hurt enough to keep me from doing my normal daily activities.

I do not have a regular doctor here. My previous doctor is two hours away, where I used to live.

Would you go in?

• Like 1

I wouldn't go to the ER, but I would go to a good urgent care or get a rec for a thorough GP who can see you today. The office may tell you to go to urgent care.

ETA: Gallbladder pain can present that way too.

Edited by zoobie
  • Like 2

I would try motrin, a heating pad, and a hot shower to see if any of those helped my issue.  You're doing a lot and might have strained some muscles or just be tense from all your obligations.  When I get stressed my upper back hurts in much the same way you describe.   If motrin and a hot shower don't bring relief, I would probably find a new doc locally because at our urgent care if you come in with suspected heart issues they send you to the ER. And with what you describe, it's not where I'd want to start my evaluation. 

• Like 4

DH came home from work and is here now. We may head to the urgent care center.

I do need to find a new regular physician but I want to do some research first, so I'll put that on my list for next week. I've been putting it off.

I never know how to judge my own health. I'm tempted to just wait and see. But I also know that can be a bad call. The urgent care seems like a good middle ground.

• Like 1

Okay, here is our plan. DH is going to hang out with me this morning. I need to go to the grocery, so he's going to go with me. That way he can help and also be around if my symptoms become more severe.

If I don't feel worse when we get back, he'll go back to to work, and I'll work on getting an appointment with a new doctor. I think it's probably better to have someone managing my whole health and looking at the big picture, rather than just the isolated symptoms of today.

• Like 2

I'd try to find a doctor or chiropractor and set up an appointment, but personally I probably would not handle it as an emergency.  If you think your body is in some kind of pre-crisis state, consider taking some aspirin and adjusting your diet.

• Like 2

I regularly get a tight back, often when stressed, so I personally wouldn't go in.  I would do some gentle stretching, deep breathing, go for a gentle  walk, hydrate well.  But if you feel it's an emergency situation in your gut, I would.

• Like 2

Since I've had the experience of heart-attack symptoms that actually were stress/anxiety related, I feel I can weigh in here.

More than likely, it's stress, based on what you've told us has been going on lately. However, if you have even the slightest inclination

that it might be heart related, I would at least go to Urgent Care. If the blood test and EKG come up negative, chalk it up to stress

and do what you can to alleviate some of that stress. Ask, no, TELL, your husband and family you need HELP, otherwise the party isn't going

to happen. YOUR health is priority because nothing else will matter if you can't function.

Some valid stress relievers:

*a bath in Epsom salts, possibly with a couple of drops of a calming essential oil such as lavender

*drink a couple cups of an herbal tea, containing chamomile, during the day. Do this while sitting, and not on the go. Make yourself sit on the back porch

or at least look out the window at nature. Give yourself a break from social media (including WTM forums).

*Do what you can to get plenty of sleep. If your mind is going a mile a minute when you lay down at night, have a cup of that chamomile tea before bed

and/or take a quality melatonin supplement. 

Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions. Take care of YOU!

• Like 2

no, I wouldn't go to an ER.  I wouldn't even go to a regular Dr.

I would find a good chiropractor.

eta: I'd also work on lowering my stress level.  yoga is great for lowering stress levels.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

although sounds stress-related, still, please get checked out.   My point is sharing this video is not that I think you are having a heart attack, BUT, like the character in the video, you may be trying to keep chugging away instead of stopping to take care of yourself.  We all do it, which is what makes the video so effective.  Plus I like Elizabeth Banks. :-)

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 2

Thank you everyone, for your concern! I didn't go to the ER or the Urgent Care. I felt no worse (but not much better) for the rest of Thursday. I've been very busy getting ready for our family gathering tomorrow, so I haven't been online.

I don't take any meds regularly, other than an occasional iboprofen (usually for headaches), so it's not a reaction to medication.

I do feel better now. I think that when I'm stressed, I just get this tightness. It really feels almost respiratory to me, and when I take a bigger breath, I feel it more. That's why I thought it might be my lungs a year or so ago (I was stressed then, too, because we were in the middle of a move).

I know I should get a general check up soon, and I'll bring this up as a concern to see what the doctor thinks.

• Like 1

I had upper back pain/tightness intermittently for a while, and thought it was from carrying my infant around.

But once I had gall bladder surgery it completely disappeared.  FWIW.

BTW, anytime you suspect heart you should take aspirin right away, preferably chewable so that it hits you fast.  That thins your blood and can help if you're on the verge of a heart attack.