Menu

Child with horrible nasal allergies...all year. What to do?

grantmeawish

If you have a child like this, how do you treat it? My child has asthma too so he is on maintenance meds, Nasocort, and Zyrtec everyday all year! I hate that he has to take so many meds! He has allergy shots too but only receives half doses because he has had reactions (requiring the Epipen). Some days aren't too bad but this week is horrible and taking ibuprofen in addition to the other meds is the only thing that helps. Dr doesn't seemed concerned with the amount of medication and even recommended more. Is moving somewhere cold the only way out of this?!

Have you tried changing to Flonase instead? Worth a try, IMO. Has the doctor mentioned Singulair? It has a different mechanism of action than than the anti-histamines. 

Getting rid of our carpet on the main floor and going with wood floors, as well as new carpet in the bedrooms has helped DS with his nighttime allergy related cough. It needed done, so we didn't do that specifically for him, but I have noticed an improvement. 

Do you have your windows open? Close them and run the whole house fan, through a good quality air filter. If you have a hepa filter run it in his bed room all day with the door closed.

Remove things from his room that generate dust or hold on to dust and pollen or mold spores that get in: rugs, curtains, stuffed animals, books. Pets kept out of the bedroom. Shoes and coats/jackets kept out of the bedroom. Shower and shampoo every night before bed -no getting in the bed before the Shower.

If you can give him a super low allergen bedroom you can at least start the day well. Do you know what he's allergic to specifically?

Nasal symptoms can also be caused by reflux. Test it by giving a long acting antacid for a couple days but not Zantac. Zantac effects allergies so it won't be a good test.

I hope you can find some relief for him.

No smoking at all in the home, or around him.  None.

No wall to wall carpet.  There is no way to keep it free of allergens.  

Wash all bedding, including pillows, in hot water once a week.

No stuffed toys in bed except one that can be washed in hot water with the bedding.

No dogs, cats, rabbits, or other furry pets in the house.

HEPA air filter in the bedroom.  Sleep with the windows closed.

Thanks for the ideas. Yes we need to change air filters and maybe try different medications. Might be time to try an air purifier for his room..haven't looked into it yet

We have almost removed all the carpet in the house. We wash bedding, no curtains, we do have a small pet that unfortunately no one is willing to get rid of. It does not go in his room though. Wondering if there is a food allergy component to it but allergist doesn't think so. When he was tested he was found to be allergic to everything but mold and mildew...not sure how accurate that it.

Thanks for the ideas. Yes we need to change air filters and maybe try different medications. Might be time to try an air purifier for his room..haven't looked into it yet

We have almost removed all the carpet in the house. We wash bedding, no curtains, we do have a small pet that unfortunately no one is willing to get rid of. It does not go in his room though. Wondering if there is a food allergy component to it but allergist doesn't think so. When he was tested he was found to be allergic to everything but mold and mildew...not sure how accurate that it.

Do you have anyone that could take the animal for a trial period to see if he improves? That would be the first thing on my list to try, I would not want to have to medicate year round even if it's a beloved pet. And if he has symptoms year round, I would think that's a strong possibility. 

• Like 1

We have done this and also we vacation without the let and his symptoms are the same. I know dust is a major trigger

Do you have anyone that could take the animal for a trial period to see if he improves? That would be the first thing on my list to try, I would not want to have to medicate year round even if it's a beloved pet. And if he has symptoms year round, I would think that's a strong possibility.

• Like 1

have you ever tried an elimination diet? 

dairy is often a culprit with perpetually stuffy noses.  (antihistamines don't do anything about it either.)  I would take him off all dairy for a month, and see how he is.  then you can reintroduce it, and see how he responds.  

Have you had the air quality in your home checked to rule out mold?

Remove carpets, drapes especially from bedroom. Launder bedding frequently on hot. Shower when he comes in from outside.

Second opinion with a pediatric pulmonologist?

along with this - put allergy covers on his mattress and his pillows.  take stuffed animals out of his room.

I'm right there with you. I currently have 2 kids taking meds every day all year. One takes Nasacort and Zyrtec and the other takes Nasacort + Rx nasal spray + Rx antihistamine 2x daily each. And his symptoms are not improving. His major trigger is dust mites. Yes, I do all the things I'm supposed to for dust mites. No carpet anywhere, no curtains, dust covers on all beds/pillows, wash weekly on super hot, dust every other day, etc. I do need to get an air purifier though. Those things are pricey. I'm looking at getting leather/fake leather furniture as well. Also a cost factor. 

I am currently looking to change allergists to one who does sublingual drops as an alternative to injections. All I know about this is that the mom who recommended the Dr. said the drops worked amazingly on her dd's environmental allergies. Purely anecdotal I know, but it never hurts to get a second opinion from a different allergist.

It's hard having kids with allergies. Just wanted you to know you are not the only one.   

Edited by Mom-ninja.

All of the above, plus cut out dairy for 3 months to see if it helps.  And possibly gluten too, but that one's tougher.

This. Even though the allergies might not be related to dairy at all, dairy is a mucus-causing food, so it can definitely affect the amount of mucus happening and so exacerbate some of the symptoms.

Edited, because there's a boatload of difference between "alleviate," which is what I originally typed, and "exacerbate"!!! :laugh:

Edited by Ellie
  • Like 1

Have you had the air quality in your home checked to rule out mold?

Remove carpets, drapes especially from bedroom. Launder bedding frequently on hot. Shower when he comes in from outside.

Second opinion with a pediatric pulmonologist?

I bought a HEPA filter Air Cleaner and it really made a big difference.  We also wash everything a lot.  No drapes.  Run a dehumidifier most of the year. 

Things improved when the tonsils came out. 

I was that child, and it followed me into adulthood. I also had to stay on half strength shots throughout the entire course of my treatment because I was so reactive.

I wished I had been evaluated for sinus surgery years earlier. Giving the sinuses a fresh start made a HUGE difference. Up until then it was as if I reached a threshold that wasn't going to be breached by meds and shots alone.

Chiropractic also helped with the asthma. I was super cynical when I started with my chiro when she told me her asthma patients always improved, but it turned out to be the final piece of the puzzle for me. The only time I take meds for asthma now is when I have cold symptoms, and it's a preemptive strike. 

Leaving on the AC until a hard freeze helps. Years without having a pet in the home helped. 

One of my kids also was helped by sinus surgery when he was about age 5. It turned out what we'd been treating as allergy for two years was actually a chronic sinus infection. How I regret the ton of meds we threw at him without realizing what was really going on. It turned out he was highly sensitive to sinus infections following a cold. When we figured out the trigger if he didn't clear up within 7-10 days following a cold the ENT would start him on a course of antibiotics along with prednisone. 

One of my kids also was helped by sinus surgery. It turned out what we'd been treating as allergy for two years was actually a chronic sinus infection. How I regret the ton of meds we threw at him without realizing what was really going on. It turned out he was highly sensitive to sinus infections following a cold. When we figured out the trigger if he didn't clear up within 7-10 days following a cold the ENT would start him on a course of antibiotics along with prednisone. 

Edited by Pippen

Another vote for an elimination diet.

I was the teen and young adult with severe allergies and asthma. At one point, I was on 6 different daily meds even though they didn't help much at all. Every time I went to the doctor it seemed they gave me another med. I got the asthma under better control by addressing mold, dust, covering bedding, and living with hardwood floors, but this had no effect on my allergies. Almost five years ago, I went gluten and dairy free to help my nursing baby and my allergies virtually disappeared within the first two weeks. My then baby was on daily Benadryl to try to minimize his allergies (which the doctor assumed were environmental) and had chronic ear infections. Both cleared up in 3 weeks. He's had one ear infection in the 5 years since...the day after an accidental exposure to dairy. He now shows no signs of allergies other than to food (some of his food issues are allergies, some are intolerances. We avoid all very, very carefully).

I occasionally eat dairy now and every time, my ears start itching, I get stuffy, develop tons of extra mucous in my throat, and my energy level drops. It takes about a week after I eat dairy for things to clear back up. Gluten exposure causes pain and gastric issues, not clearcut allergy/asthma for me.

• Like 1

I've had issues with allergies like that and I've had sinus surgery.  I did elimination diet. I can actually do light dairy.  Sugar and white carbs are not my friend though.  A very high quality multi vitamin, probiotics, omega-3's (I use flax) are helpful for me too.  So I would definitely vote elimination diet too. 

Yeah I don't know.  I was told by the ENT regarding my son with issues that basically they can't do anything surgical until he is an adult.  We've done allergy pills, air purifiers, nasal this or that, etc. etc. etc.  None of it does a whole lot. 

About half my family is plagued with these problems.  My sister had a cryo procedure up her nose and she said it hurt like hell, but worked fairly well compared to everything else she has tried.