Menu

Water bottle minimal parts?

kathkath

For an adult or child?

I just got ds a thermos from Target.com (12 oz). Some of them are on sale right now. I bought the plain one with no images and it will keep items cold. I've been using it with plain water to make cleaning easier. I hate it when stuff like orange juice pulp or milk gets in there :ack2:

I like the style for kids, but I think it may be a little awkward for an adult. When you open the lid there's not a lot of clearance/the straw part is sort of short. I don't know how to explain lol.

• Like 1

Child mostly but adult too would be good. We have camelbacks but are tired of dealing with multiple parts, and adult/child straws are not interchangeable.

Pretty much all water bottles are frustrating for me whether it's cleaning the parts or removing the parts. But actual cleaning the Funtainer seems okay. It's a bit tricky to get out the piece but I love that the lid closes when you're done. The particular one I got ds also has a carrying handle built into the lid. His old model did not have that. I got the one without designs because they wear off. I'm planning on buying dd the same thing in another color. They are out of stock in the purple but I saw a teal and pink that look pretty. Ds got the blue.

We have a bunch and have had a bunch over the years.

For a stainless insulated I decided I like the klean kanteen with the sport tops.  The sport top can be bought seperately.  They can also because of that be replaced when they start to go!  A good stainless bottle will last for years.  I have 2 REI ones, but the tops have parts and need to be taken apart from washing.  The klean kanteen sport tops are one piece.  We haven't had luck with cheaper bottles.  They keep water cold for hours and hours and hours. 

https://www.amazon.com/Klean-Kanteen-Classic-Insulated-20-Ounce/dp/B00SA2Z47O/ref=sr_1_2?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1471545344&sr=1-2&keywords=klean+kanteen+insulated

We use regular bike bottles when we need something more basic.  At least those just have one piece tops too.  I hate the bottles with straws inside.

Edited by WoolySocks
  • Like 2

Nalgene are the easiest to sterilize as there are so few parts.  The screw off cap tether wears down after 2-3 years.

Contigo autoseals in stainless steel have been great two--only two parts--the screw off cap and the bottle itself.  Plastic Contigos haven't held up as well here.

We also have kleen kanteens, camelbacks, and ellos (glass) in our water bottle collection.  When a few more of our camelbaks die, I'm replacing them with hydroflasks.

My Klean Kanteen (I have the screw on top, while my kids have sport tops) is eight years old and going strong. The kids' are slightly newer, but those things take a beating very well. I believe they have a lifetime warranty too. One of ours developed a split at the weld, and they replaced it immediately. A very economical bottle. They aren't insulated, but they do stay cold for a while, especially with ice.

Another vote for Hydroflask. The 40 oz is great for taking to sports practice or if you're out and about all day. My mom uses 2 at work--one for cold, one for hot--and she swears by them. She's the one who got our family hooked on them. One ds prefers the 18oz size because it fits nicely in his backpack.

• Like 1

I second the Hydroflask. Mine keeps water cold for a couple of days. The only thing I don't like is I got the 32 ounce model and it is just a little big to fit in my car's cup holder. I did purchase an extra flip top lid - all one piece and I put the lid in the dishwasher. I wash the bottle itself by hand.

One dd has a Contigo - she loves it. She uses it for hot tea and cold water. It works well and is easy to clean. Flip open the lid, place in dishwasher, done. It fits in the cup holder, but it is smaller.

Another dd just got a quench bottle from NAK fitness (on Amazon). Nice one piece lid, bottle is taller and smaller diameter so it fits in a cup holder. She really hasn't used it yet, so I can't give reports of its cooling ability.

• Like 1

the double wall vacuum aluminum are what will keep things cold even if it's hot outside.   it will also not sweat on the outside.

*single wall* aluminum will sweat - and will not keep your drinks cold.

they aren't cheap - but consider how much a decent acrylic or bpa free plastic water bottle costs - and those won't keep your drink cold and the outside of the bottle sweats like mad with the temp. differences.

I have:

hydro flask

-(similar too and costs less, than hydroflask.  fits the hydroflask straw lid.)

simple modern  -comes with a flip lid and a screw on lid.

takeya  2 bottle set from costco

I get "polar bottle" ones. They range from 12-24 oz. The different sizes have the same interchangeable lids. They are machine washable (one piece lids that I just open the spout). They are insulated. They will stay cool for a few hours, longer with ice. They sweat a little. They range from $7-$10 each. I get them on Amazon but I've seen them at target. They are easy to hold because of the shape.