Menu

Did anyone watch the Perseid meteor shower last night?

creekland

Just checking to see if anyone else went out to watch the meteors last night.  We got a break in the clouds, so were out from about 10pm to midnight.  (I know, that's way too early to be heading in during a meteor shower, but we were all tired and had things to be up for today.)

It was quite a nice one here - several longer meteors (streaks) and not too much time between them.  It's not the all time best we've seen, but it might have been second.  Many times lately we've been disappointed, but not last night.

I wonder how tonight will be... though IME, the first night is the best.  Time will tell though - if we get clear skies that is.

• Like 1

It was so bright and cloudy here I didn't see anything around 11, hoped to wake early enough this morning to see something but didn't make it being up until 12.

Hopefully you'll have a better chance (and a good show) tonight.  It's always been a bummer when it's been cloudy here.  Fortunately, where we live, we don't have to worry about too much light.  I always fantacize about having a camping spot at Chaco Canyon and watching one there though!  I bet they're full each year.

• Like 1

I thought I heard they'd be best seen just after sunset last night? But maybe that's not right, because usually I've had to get up at midnight to watch.

We didn't watch last night. We were at the local carnival. I peeked up at the sky while there, but it was pretty well lit and could only see about 10 of the brightest stars. Then it was home and to bed for everyone after all the carnival excitement.

We'll probably try to see them tonight.

I thought I heard they'd be best seen just after sunset last night? But maybe that's not right, because usually I've had to get up at midnight to watch.

It's generally best between midnight and dawn because of the way the earth is moving into it at that time.

I just looked up this year's prediction and last night was the peak, but this link gives options for tonight since we're still in the cluster.  Note that it's a Wichita link though... I'm sure if I'd tried harder I could have gotten something more local, but it's morning and I'm in from chores and the steamy outdoors, so trying harder is not in my vocab right now!  :lol:

http://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/meteor-shower/perseid.html

Edited by creekland
  • Like 1

Hopefully you'll have a better chance (and a good show) tonight.  It's always been a bummer when it's been cloudy here.  Fortunately, where we live, we don't have to worry about too much light.  I always fantacize about having a camping spot at Chaco Canyon and watching one there though!  I bet they're full each year.

I actually live in a pretty rural area but the moon was bright enough to make it really illuminated here. We don't have any outside lights and are surrounded on 3 sides by forests, just seems we don't have good luck w/ astronomical events although ds and I did catch the 5 planets in alignment. He was very upset w/ me this morning when he woke up that I hadn't got him up as I'd planned to if I woke up early.

yes. the local paper gave a spot to go view, so dh wanted to go there. (we'll never go there again for stargazing.)  I said I wanted to go early (by 11pm).  I win, the place was a zoo, but dh kept driving and there was still parking.  we left at 2am.  it's also a favorite hiking spot - and there were people hiking to the top of the mt. wtih headlamps.   you could see the lights through the trees on the other side of the lake.

some of the more impressive meteors were actually earlier. some were just 'wow', I've never seen them like that before.   just . . . wow!

• Like 1

We were out between 11:45 and 2 am. DD counted 100. We were at 98 when we decided to leave but waited a few more minutes to make it to 100. Some were really good! The moon interfered until it set around 1 am. Last year was better for us - we counted 130 something and some were really impressive. 

• Like 1

We were out between 11:45 and 2 am. DD counted 100. We were at 98 when we decided to leave but waited a few more minutes to make it to 100. Some were really good! The moon interfered until it set around 1 am. Last year was better for us - we counted 130 something and some were really impressive. 

Wow, I can't believe you count that many.  We give up counting after 10 or so.  We don't always see the same ones either, esp if they're small.

On a different note, I can't help but wonder how many of us saw the same ones... there were some really impressive ones last night, but I've no idea how far their "viewing area" goes.  

Time will tell for tonight.

• Like 1

Wow, I can't believe you count that many.  We give up counting after 10 or so.  We don't always see the same ones either, esp if they're small.

On a different note, I can't help but wonder how many of us saw the same ones... there were some really impressive ones last night, but I've no idea how far their "viewing area" goes.  

Time will tell for tonight.

My dd does the counting. It's kind of a let's see if we can break the last year's record thing!

• Like 1

We were out last night until midnight.  The sky was more clear, but there weren't as many meteors.  We still saw a handful of nice ones though.

I'd like to get my weather order in for next year... clear and about 10 - 15 degrees cooler!  It was still in the 80s when we were out there last night.   :glare:

No, had a good sheet lightning show instead. And enjoyed the cool evening air...it was 69F at 11 pm, after the rain went thru.

Edited by Heigh Ho