Menu

Harry potter and the cursed child

athomeontheprairie

Is there a thread already? Have you read it? I'd love to discuss this book! (No spoilers in THIS post)

We went to the midnight release. It was so much fun. Among our close (geographical) friends, reading HP is generally frowned upon. It was so much fun to see all these other people writing the magic. People were so nice. Everyone played together.

As to the book, I loved it as a play. I want sure I would, but I did. And honestly, as this is my kids first reading of a play I hope they'll enjoy it and develop of love for this type of writing.

So, have you read it? Whats your opinion?

Dd bought it at 11AM. I doubt we see her until she has finished it. I hope, for her, that it is good. The last Percy Jackson book broke her heart.

I feel like a terrible mother. I didn't realize there was a big party at B&N last night. She would have loved it.

Edited by Moxie

Dd bought it at 11AM. I doubt we see her until she has finished it. I hope, for her, that it is good. The last Percy Jackson book broke her heart.

I feel like a terrible mother. I didn't realize there was a big party at B&N last night. She would have loved it.

Me too! My kids would've been thrilled. I didn't know until I saw other people's FB photos today. :(

I'm eager to hear; dd got one review from a friend today who was disappointed with it (though her tween vernacular was much more expressive).

I need more reviews before I decide whether or not to read it. I still haven't crossed the line on Go Set a Watchman, either. I don't like my literary worlds shattered.

We got it on Kindle. That way DD and I can both read it at once.

We did, too.  I have one child overseas right now and another on the opposite coast from me.  This was the best [and cheapest] way to ensure that everyone got to read it as soon as it came out. 

I couldn't open tnis thread until I had finished reading :D

I admit, I was in tears during the first 30 or so pages.

I knew the format going in and was prepared for it.

I can't wait for my girls to read it so we can have massive discussions re canon :party:

Did not love it. Felt too much like fan fiction and just trying to be nostaligic. It is short - spent less time reading it then I would have watching it. I am a huge HP fan and have such fond memories of reading  devouring the other books. 

• Like 2

Having come to Harry Potter through my eldest child a few years ago, I wasn't around for release parties so totally blanked on that angle until I started seeing posts about them on FB after the kids were in bed last night. I feel bad that they missed out on the chance to do that.

My Amazon preorder (that I ordered in February) doesn't arrive until Tuesday. 😢

• Like 1

I think it suffered by being a script. I can see where it would play amazingly on stage, but all the details that are in the earlier books that makes Hogwarts feel "real" are absent in the dialogue. I'll be interested in seeing what DD thinks-she hasn't mentioned it yet.

• Like 1

Finished it yesterday.  It was good, not great but then I am judging against the other books.  I think it stands up well to the films.  I can see it being a success visually but not as much depth as the original books.  I still enjoyed it but was left wanting more.  I would like to see if preformed though.

Finished it yesterday. It was good, not great but then I am judging against the other books. I think it stands up well to the films. I can see it being a success visually but not as much depth as the original books. I still enjoyed it but was left wanting more. I would like to see if preformed though.

I haven't read it for those reasons. And another OP mentioned that there isn't all the description from the other books. I like the descriptions that bring things alive.

I normally don't enjoy reading plays at all.

I know that I'll end up reading it and buying it because I just adore Harry Potter, but I'm not really excited about it, just because it's a play.

I'd love to watch it, though.

I'm first on the library wait list for it, once they finish with it in cataloging, it's mine:)

My mom will probably buy it, then dd can read it & take her time with it. She's interested in learning how to write a play and loves HP & fan fiction, so she is very excited to read it.

Finished it yesterday. It was good, not great but then I am judging against the other books. I think it stands up well to the films. I can see it being a success visually but not as much depth as the original books. I still enjoyed it but was left wanting more. I would like to see if preformed though.

This was my thoughts exactly. You can't have the depth because it isn't a book. But it was enjoyed at our house.

Oh man, it was so. bad.

Spoiler alert***

It was like a repeating cycle of cameo appearances and group therapy sessions.

The action of the plot was too "childish" and the psychological plot was too "adultish" for coherence.

I agree with PP... It reads like fan fiction... "Imagine if instead..." "But then what if..."

It so happens I love the Outlander series, and I just finished a Back to the Future marathon with the kids. In both of these series, the time travel paradoxes were handled better.

Sigh. The message in the blanket was the only plot twist I really appreciated.

Ugh. Major disappointment!

• Like 2