Menu

Do teen girls wear dress pants?

Jean in Newcastle

My daughter doesn't, and doesn't have much occasion to do so.  The one time we wanted a pair, we couldn't find any.  She wears a junior size 1 or 3, and there weren't any in that department.  The misses sizes seem to start at 4, so she was out of luck.  I believe she wore a black skirt.

• Like 1

When my girls were teens (and my early 20-year-olds now), they would wear "dressy" jeans with a nice sweater or blouse, generally.  (Dressy jeans meaning they were a nice style that were saved for nice occasions so always looked new.   :))

But occasionally, they were required to wear something non-jeans for some activity.  They would get straight-legged black pants.  Something like these:

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1051239&vid=1&pid=918387002

or these (but regular length, not ankle length):

http://www.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1051237&vid=1&pid=130046042

We have gotten styles like that at Gap, Loft, and Lands End.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

My daughter prefers not to wear skirts or dresses. In the past, we have purchased Lands End boys corduroy jeans for winter pants. Now that she has more of a figure we will be checking out Gap as their bottoms tend to fit her straight figure and desire for low-cut styles.

• Like 1

I don't see it a lot, but I do and I've always been about the size of a teen girl. Most teen girls are actually taller than me. :glare:

It seems pricey, but I always had great luck at Macy's or Nordstrom's. Their sale racks are loaded with dress separates (skip Teens, go to the Misses' dept.) and I end up spending about the same as what I'd have spent at an off-sale store like Ross or a mid-range store like Penney's ... minus the hassle of hitting up several stores to find a decent selection, and then buying a lower quality product. They're also more likely to carry small sizes (0-2) especially in the Petite section.

I really did well with INC brand at Macy's. I knew the brand fit me well and got to where I could buy off eBay with reasonably predictable results. I also knew to look for that brand at consignment stores. These days the store websites run crazy frequent sales on top of reduced prices, so it might be better to buy that way once you know how she does with each store's brand or sizing.

If this will be an on-going need for DD you might want to send her shopping to some department stores or designer stores to figure out which brands fit her best and in what sizes. Then she'll have something to work with and can bargain shop her brands and sizes.

• Like 1

Not mine, other than in children's choir.

DD owns dress pants, but the tags are still on. I always bought them at JC Penney.

She loves to wear dresses, and with fleece lined leggings and boots it is never to cold for dresses for her.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

My dd has to wear dress clothes to speech and debate tournaments.  We've had really good luck finding dress pants, especially grey, black and khaki, at thrift stores.  She wears a 5 long, so she's not that easy to fit, but there is always something if we just keep looking.  And the brands are good - Anne Taylor, Banana Republic, Gap, etc.

Otherwise, dd wears very casual clothes (jeans and shorts) or an occasional dress to a wedding or other fancy event.

• Like 1

Only for band/youth symphony concerts.  The pants are from the junior dept at JCPenney, not sure of the brand, but JCP always seems to have basic black dress pants.  Dd needed a black long-sleeved dress shirt too; that is Worthington (I think) from the misses department.

• Like 1

My dd wore them on numerous occasions. We found them at Kohls and JcPenney. She was a size 3. I noted that at ds's scholarship competition, pant suits were super common with the girls. He was the only guy wearing a suit proper, but the other boys were in dress pants, button downs, and ties. That's probably not the norm everywhere.

If memory serves, Land's End has them down to a size 4, but I don't think they carry them any smaller than that.

• Like 1