Menu

Book a Week 2016 - BW 26: british village cozy mysteries

Robin M

Mumto2 and Stacia - I hope both your mothers are doing better. We met with Abby's surgeon on Wednesday. He seems very competent and I was impressed with the hospital. We will be trying to schedule her surgery for the week of July 11. I completely forgot that my birthday is that week, though. [emoji53]

I now have an Amazon cart loaded with recs from this thread and others on my Goodreads to-read shelf and am in the painful process of trying to whittle it down. I'm reading 3 books at the moment, sort of -

How Not to Die by Michael Greger (The title makes me wince every time I see it, though.)

My History, by Antonia Fraser (a memoir, which hooked me because she mentions Our Island Story as the book that prompted her love of history, and also because my mom loves her books)

The Chosen, by Chaim Potok (a pre-read for my oldest dd, and also because it was sitting on the shelf while I was walking the baby back and forth in front of the bookcase.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 11

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to thank everyone here for their kindness yesterday. You guys are wonderful. Things didn't go well at all. My mom died after her surgery. She was such a wonderful mom. I'm going to miss her so very much.

• Like 1

I just want to thank everyone here for their kindness yesterday. You guys are wonderful. Things didn't go well at all. My mom died after her surgery. She was such a wonderful mom. I'm going to miss her so very much.

I am so, so sorry. Your mom has certainly had some health challenges in recent years. It is so hard to spring back.

Safe travels if you are headed to a memorial service.

• Like 8

I'm very sorry for your loss. Big hugs. May your beautiful memories sustain you in your grief.

• Like 7

I am so sorry.  I know it is extra hard to be so far away. From we've heard of her here, she was an extraordinary woman.   :grouphug:  :grouphug:  

• Like 4

I am so sorry :grouphug:

• Like 3

Over the course of my research, I came to the conclusion that my British sleuths have a hard time staying in one place and have an occasional tendency to swing to the more graphic side of things. Even Agatha Christie had some topics that I really wished she would have skipped when my 11 year old was reading them!  I have put together an assortment of mystery series that to the best of my knowledge are as cozy as Christie because she is definitely the queen of the genre.

I thought I would mention the Kate Kingsbury Manor House Mystery Series. They take place during WWII and they were good fun and clean enough to let my daughter read them as well... :)

Link to week 25 

• Like 1

I'm so very sorry. It's always a shock, even if it shouldn't be. Praying for you and your family.

• Like 5

I am so, so sorry. It is so terribly hard when our mothers die. Hugs and peace to you and yours.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear this. It must have been such a shock. You and your family will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers. May your mother rest in peace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 7

I'm so sorry this happened. She sounds like a lovely mom.  :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Edited by idnib
  • Like 3

I am so incredibly sorry.

• Like 4

I read "Murder She Wrote: A Palette for Murder" by Donald Bain and my 10yo read "Once Upon a Starry Night" by Jacqueline Morton.

☺

Enjoy the Fourth 🇺🇸

I just read the posts - hugs for you, mumto2

Edited by Kathleen.
  • Like 6

Just wanted to check in before the new thread starts and tell all of you how much you kind thoughts and sympathy means.

It's been a rough few days but things are stabilizing family plan wise. I finished the obituary last night. I haven't done much reading. Planning a long walk today if the weather cooperates. ;)

• Like 12