Menu

House repair: what would you do first or in what order?

Mandamom

This is still dreamland but we are in the possible position of being able to start on some of these repairs within 6 months to a year. 

Our house is 32 years old and none of the major components (except septic) have been repaired or replaced. 

Our roof isn't leaking but most of the neighborhood has been replaced. Preventing further damage is important.

Our chimney needs repair if we want to use woodstove -- haven't used it for years because it isn't safe due to cracks. $800-1000 is the quote

Our heatpump/A/C needs to be replaced. It is very expensive to run but we don't use it in winter (unless below 20) or summer (unless above 90 and high humidity) because of leaking windows.

Windows need to be replaced -- including siding glass door to the deck.. 

Back deck. It is the only way out the back door and it is in bad shape. 

Driveway and siding our on the long-term list. 

So, I won't be able to do everything at once but it seems like we could do the heatpump/A/C first but with the leaky windows that might just be a waste of money. But doing the chimney and the roof will get us our woodstove back which will help in winter. 

So, if you had the choice, what order would you do the repairs -- or which would you do first? 

Well first off, I'd see if you qualify for any weatherization programs. They would fix the windows, possibly the a/c / heatpump, and insulate your home as well. All at no cost to you. 

Then I'd take a second look at the list. If weatherization fixed what I listed above, I'd then start on roof and maybe the chimney. And then the back deck. 

• Like 1

Well first off, I'd see if you qualify for any weatherization programs. They would fix the windows, possibly the a/c / heatpump, and insulate your home as well. All at no cost to you. 

I will check into those. 

Thanks, 

Edited by Mandamom

What are these weatherization programs? Where would I find them? 

Thanks,

If you google "weatherization program" and either your town name or county name, it normally comes up. Not everywhere has one, but most areas do. It is often coordinated through a county office or senior services office {but is open to anyone who qualifies income-wise}. If that doesn't come up with it, try calling your electric company as sometimes they can point you in the right direction. 

They will come out and do a free inspection of your home and give you a list of needed home repairs in order of the greatest return on energy savings. 

Roof and chimney, AC/heat, then windows and back deck.

A leaking roof can cause so many other problems. It's just nice to have that done. Will insurance cover a portion? Chimney so you can use the wood stove. I was pleasantly surprised how much a difference a new AC unit made. Our electric bill went down $50 a month AND our home is more comfortable.

Windows...that's a big job, but so well worth it.

Back deck for safety concerns.

I hope every job is quicker and cheaper than you originally thought!!!!!

• Like 3

I'd do:

heat/ac first. 

you can do a quick & dirty on the windows with caulking, foam insulation & clear plastic window insulation 

then roof 

then back deck 

then the windows 

then the chimney (though depending on the work, it might be cheaper to do it when the roof is being done) 

• Like 1

My suggestion would be:

chimney

roof

windows

heat/ac

then back deck.

By doing the chimney first, if anything happens to the roof while its being repaired, ok because the roof is next.  Next the windows because it is a big job but once done your existing heat/ac will work a little better until you can get that repaired and last the back deck. 

Thank you all for your feedback.

A leaking roof can cause so many other problems. It's just nice to have that done. Will insurance cover a portion? Chimney so you can use the wood stove. I was pleasantly surprised how much a difference a new AC unit made. Our electric bill went down $50 a month AND our home is more comfortable.

Thanks, No, insurance won't cover it as there are just age issues. Yes, the window jobs will be big, especially with the slider but they are a mess.:(

This was what I was going to suggest too.  Because if your windows are leaking, than any improvements you make in other areas will be (at least temporarily) negated until the windows get fixed.

That's what I keep coming back to and it is what I'm leaning toward, when this happens.

My suggestion would be:

chimney

roof

windows

heat/ac

then back deck.

By doing the chimney first, if anything happens to the roof while its being repaired, ok because the roof is next.  Next the windows because it is a big job but once done your existing heat/ac will work a little better until you can get that repaired and last the back deck. 

Yes, I'm hoping that one contractor will be able to do the roof and chimney to save costs. We just got a quote on the chimney itself so when we're ready we'll get quotes on both.

I'd do windows and roof first, then a/c/heat.  Fix the outer shell of your abode, then worry about the air inside.

I like that idea. 

Thanks again everyone. 

Windows! We moved into a house with newer windows, and the neighbors didn't have them--comparing bills was stunning. Since then, we've had huge savings from replacing a storm door with a broken pane. It makes a very big difference.

You might want to repair rather than replace the roof just to see how long it lasts. We had some storm damage one year and hoped insurance might kick in for a new roof. It did not. The repair wasn't horrendous, and we got several years out of that repair, which made a big difference for us financially. It was a much better time to redo the roof by then.

Is back deck a safe exit. Is there a way to make it safe cheaply. If there is I'd do something cheap. It's important to have a safe exit.

Roof is first.

Windows next because doing them affects the use of heat pump and chimney. BTW that sounds really low for chimney repair. I might put off chimney further depending on the balance off economy in heating the house after window replacement.

Siding, improved back deck and driveway are done in order of safety, then aesthetics. If everything is safe, then do the thing that will make you feel good about your home first.

Chimney first as it's repair affects the roof (flashing, etc)

Then roof.  I would actually plan on both at the same time.

Shrink-wrap the windows and deal with them later.

Make sure foundation is solid.

A house will deteriorate quickly if the roof is bad.  Have you climbed up into your attic to inspect it and the chimney?

Windows first, if the roof is ok.  It will save you a lot of money in the long run.

Chimney/roof.  That will help with heating bills.  While they are working on the roof, make sure your attic is properly insulated.  So much heat is lost through the roof.

A/C unit.  

Then the rest as you get to it.  

I agree with this. Do the roof and chimney first. Then I would suggest the deck, then the window or AC (although if you can get a fall deal on either I'd do that second). 

If your roof is typical roofing material and it is 30+ years old, you've been lucky. Most asphalt roofing tiles last about 20 years barring weather related issues. 

I would probably address the safety of the back deck next, maybe doing that door at the same time. 

First thing I would do is get and estimate for each project.

Next, how much money do you have right now or very soon to get started? Also, When will you have more money available for future projects?

How often is the temp below 20 or above 90? If it's only a few days each season I'd put that lower on the priority list, higher if more days than not and/or you have very young or elderly or health issues that would benefit from better climate control.

Then I would figure out if I could do several of the repairs with the money currently available, or just one with a higher priority.

If the back deck is currently not safe but you need the access for an exit, AND other projects are higher priority, maybe just do minimal repairs to have a safe exit. You can live without a deck, but you need the exit.

Windows would be my first priority. Get prices for the entire job and also for selected Windows. You can cover some with an insulation or plastic kit and put your money where the most important windows are, like bedrooms, kitchen, family room, then finish the rest as funds allow.

• Like 1