Menu

Building your home library

Because of the small footprint of our home, I've always worked hard against my natural instinct to buy mountains of books. However, there is a very real possibility that we will be moving to a much bigger place that has room for a lot more bookshelves. :drool5:

It just occurred to me that I don't know where to begin in building up our library. I thought I'd want a set of classics and a set of encyclopedias, but with those pretty much free online and on the Kindle, it's hard to justify the cost and space. And then there's always the library, so how do I decide which books to own and which books to just check out?

What books would you feel are essential in your own home library?

Would you buy paperbacks because they are cheaper and easier to hold while reading, or would you buy hardbacks because of their durability?

I'm looking for both fiction and non-fiction recommendations.

The books I've come up with so far as "must-have" physical copies in our library so far:

Wildlife Field Guides

Animalium

Farm Anatomy and Nature Anatomy

The Secret Garden (fully illustrated by Inga Moore)

A Christmas Carol (illust. by Robert Ingpen)

The Children's Book of Virtues

The Kingfisher Encyclopedia of Science

Usborne History of the World

Bruce Coville's Shakespeare adaptations

• Like 1

I would want the classics anyway. There's just something about holding an actual book.

If you're trying to build the library, then I would definitely go with hardbacks when possible.

I would get Mark Twain, Louisa May Alcott, LM Montgomery, Jack London,

• Like 1

Dd prefers paperbacks. She seems to think they are more accessible. I still prefer hardback, though.

At least consider an encyclopedia set. I was homeschooled. My brothers and I still laugh at how much we read the encyclopedia. Somehow when it is in a book you tend to flip pages and go, "Hey, I bet you didn't know this!" Online we seem to get sidetracked with entertainment and not further learning.

• Like 1

Penguin classics

Obviously you can't buy every single one (how amazing would that be!) but ... and their paperbacks are really good quality.

Virago Press

These paperbacks are a thing of beauty and they have a range of amazing reads.

Because we are the reverse of you - slowly having to get the number of physical books down (we are down to under 2000 now ... ) - we really concentrate on books here that are beautiful or have important illustrations. If you can afford it, there are some glorious Taschen books, including an illustrated first six books of the elements of Euclid, Gorgeous fairy tales, and classic reference books.

Well, we had a set of children's encyclopedia (Oxford U Press) and they were well-loved.  My kids preceded e-readers, so electronic copies were not an option.  Even if they had been, that type of book is better, I think.   I think it's just easier to get lost in it. 

Other than that, I don't think we set out with particular books in mind, except books that were part of curriculum, and favorites of my husband/mine.  About 30 years ago I got a beautiful set of Dickens novels by joining a book club (remember those?) and while I have not read them all, we still have them. OTOH, I also had a set of Mark Twain that I happily got rid of when I realized that I just don't like his books.  We read the essentials but those could have come from the library.  

When the kids were younger, we'd get a lot of books from the library.  If I found something that we loved and kept getting it out, we'd buy it.  To Kill a Mockingbird has been a favorite book of mine forever, but it wasn't till the last year or so that I acquired a copy. I get hardbacks when possible, or quality paperbacks.  For a permanent library, I avoid mass-market pbs and Dover thrift editions as the pages yellow.  Books with acid paper make my eyes sting, so those are out for me. :-)

I think a library that grows organically, not from a list of classics or whatever, is best.  We have some classics that we found to be dead boring or that we listened to rather than read. 

That said, we have over 2000 books and have a hard time getting rid of any. 

Have fun!

• Like 1

Looks like your child is young, so you have time :-).

I built up gradually over the years. Each year, we used literature based curriculum and added to our library. I kept anything I felt I would want to re-read or that a child might want to re-read. Books that feel like friends, books that make you think, books with beautiful illustrations. If it was a rainy day and you didn't feel like going out to the library, what would you want to cozy up on the couch with to read to your child? Or what might your child like to take to the reading nook? What books do you wish would never end? These are the kind I try to keep. In addition to classics, I'd say that many award-winners are also worth keeping. 

Have fun!

• Like 2

We have a lovely home library. Where we used to live the libraries were SO bad. I was so dissapointed because as a kid I lived in the library. So, if we wanted our kids to read we had to build our own. And we made it work in a small space- 1,000 sq ft for 2 adults and 5 kids. To be honest, we all vastly prefer real books. There is something so wonderful about the tactile and sensory stimulation along with the mental stimulation from the words. Now that we have moved I haven't even checked the libraries here. We have only been here two months but our library is just so lovely.

We were also on a budget so I built our library gradually and with used books bought online and locally. If I am purchasing online I only go with Good quality books or better.

I would consider first what your kids are interested in and how you can further that interest. When I first started my library I picked out a lot of general type books- compilations, books with lots of information in them, encyclopedia type books. Don't get me wrong a good set of encyclopedias is valuable but I got a lot of generic compilation type books and my kids never looked at them. A lot of the Ushborne and Kingfisher books were this way for us. For some reason, I shifted my book buying to selecting topics/titles that might be of interest and that has made our library very special and highly used. I guess it is going deeper rather than broad and shallow. For example, my son is really interested in WW2 and has been for a while. We have collected quite a collection and they are read over and over. I guess I realized that I wasn't trying to create a library for the general public but for our own family. Anyway, this might be totally useless for you but it was something I had to realize. I was so busy trying to get a well-rounded library that I regret some of the purchases I made. I have also used our library to generate new interests in my children as well. I just found a wonderful book on physics that I am sure my oldest will love. Anyway, because of this experience, if I could do it over again I would focus my attention and budget on books that would become friends. Merry said it perfectly above. Each year set aside a certain amount of your budget for books and then you can build your library gradually. Our favorite books for littles are:

- A boxed set of Beatrix Potter stories- the little white ones

- A boxed set of Winnie the Pooh

- Wonderfully illustrated fairy tale picture books- K.Y. Craft for instance

- Books by Dianne Huts Aston

- Beautifully illustrated Mother Goose

- Various fun picture books- If you Give a Mouse, The Little Mouse the Red Ripe Strawberry..., Angus Lost, Henry the Castaway, etc...

I also go with hardbacks wherever possible. They are so much more durable and I have five children

Here are some books that are musts in our library:

Specific Field Guides

A large collection of beautiful picture books

Beautifully illustrated and nicely bound classics- the ones we will actually read

Lots of biographies- usually older ones

Ack! I cannot finish my post and have to go. I will just leave this and come back and add more later.

Edited by 4Kiddos
  • Like 2

My library is for feasting upon not looking at so I generally tend to buy paperbacks as they are cheaper and lighter to hold. I also know that I'm not keeping my library forever so if we wear a book out we can decide whether we need to replace it for younger children or not. I will pass off the favorites to grandchildren and donate the rest to a library for their fundraising.

The only time I buy books that I or a member of my family is not planning on reading presently is when I'm at the library sale which happens twice a year. You can't beat buying books for .50 to $5.00. Though sometimes I'm tempted by the lovely special editions I usually put them back. I don't want to worry my child will ruin a book while enjoying it.

We have way too many books, no idea how many. We have a little of everything (nature, religious, history, random facts, sports etc).we have no preference between paperback or hard cover. We don't own any of the classics. Oh, and we just love books, no electronic versions for us.

I'd focus on:

Out of print books that will be harder to find as time goes on.

Beautiful editions. Anything from Robert Ingpen illustrated books to Easton Press books, whatever you find beautiful.

Curriculum recommendations. I have five kids. I prefer to own the books I will need that often. Actually...I prefer to own them all. :)

Books related to a particular interest you have.

Before I bought a bunch of paperbacks, I would do a lot of garage-saling and see what turned up.

• Like 2

If the kids love a book from the library enough to reborrow it two or three times I will buy it basically. also check out the book lists on build your library and sonlight, many of those books are awesome.

It's probably helpful to define what your book collecting purpose is. Having a beautiful collection? Having books people in your family will read? Having books for guests who come around? What is the most effective way to meet the purpose?

• Like 1

BUY.ALL.THE.BOOKS.

At least, that is my motto in life.

I can't see on my phone the ages of your child(ren), but I like what you listed so far! Here are some things I like:

Poetry for Young People

Shakespeare books by Coville

Books illustrated by: Robert Ingpen, Graeme Base, Ruth Sanderson, KY Craft, Scott Gustaffson...

lots of Usborne encyclopedias and books

Let's Read and Find Out science books

I like to look at booklists from Sonlight, Heart of Dakota, and Tapestry of Grace to see which books I just can't live without...

anything by SWB!

We have a lovely home library. Where we used to live the libraries were SO bad. I was so dissapointed because as a kid I lived in the library. So, if we wanted our kids to read we had to build our own. And we made it work in a small space- 1,000 sq ft for 2 adults and 5 kids. To be honest, we all vastly prefer real books. There is something so wonderful about the tactile and sensory stimulation along with the mental stimulation from the words. Now that we have moved I haven't even checked the libraries here. We have only been here two months but our library is just so lovely.

We were also on a budget so I built our library gradually and with used books bought online and locally. If I am purchasing online I only go with Good quality books or better.

I would consider first what your kids are interested in and how you can further that interest. When I first started my library I picked out a lot of general type books- compilations, books with lots of information in them, encyclopedia type books. Don't get me wrong a good set of encyclopedias is valuable but I got a lot of generic compilation type books and my kids never looked at them. A lot of the Ushborne and Kingfisher books were this way for us. For some reason, I shifted my book buying to selecting topics/titles that might be of interest and that has made our library very special and highly used. I guess it is going deeper rather than broad and shallow. For example, my son is really interested in WW2 and has been for a while. We have collected quite a collection and they are read over and over. I guess I realized that I wasn't trying to create a library for the general public but for our own family. Anyway, this might be totally useless for you but it was something I had to realize. I was so busy trying to get a well-rounded library that I regret some of the purchases I made. I have also used our library to generate new interests in my children as well. I just found a wonderful book on physics that I am sure my oldest will love. Anyway, because of this experience, if I could do it over again I would focus my attention and budget on books that would become friends. Merry said it perfectly above. Each year set aside a certain amount of your budget for books and then you can build your library gradually. Our favorite books for littles are:

- A boxed set of Beatrix Potter stories- the little white ones

- A boxed set of Winnie the Pooh

- Wonderfully illustrated fairy tale picture books- K.Y. Craft for instance

- Books by Dianne Huts Aston

- Beautifully illustrated Mother Goose

- Various fun picture books- If you Give a Mouse, The Little Mouse the Red Ripe Strawberry..., Angus Lost, Henry the Castaway, etc...

I also go with hardbacks wherever possible. They are so much more durable and I have five children

Here are some books that are musts in our library:

Specific Field Guides

A large collection of beautiful picture books

Beautifully illustrated and nicely bound classics- the ones we will actually read

Lots of biographies- usually older ones

Ack! I cannot finish my post and have to go. I will just leave this and come back and add more later.

It think this approach fits well with Charlotte mason philosophy of living books too.

I am generally of the read it once=paper back and classics=hardbacks. I have even been known to "upgrade" a paperback to a hardback and ease my conscience by giving the paperback to a worthy home. We have an eclectic assortment of hard bound classics - Drop Cap, Word Cloud, Everyman's Library, Sterling Unabridged Classics, Penguin Hardcover Classics, Puffin in Bloom, and some sundry other varieties. Plus some particular contemporary hardbacks like Harry Potter because it's read and retread by many in the house.

I am also in favor of hardbacks when available at a reasonable price. Also of lushly illustrated editions. However, money is always an object... so borrow from the library first and then purchase. If you frequent library book sales or used book stores, keep a list of books, authors, and illustrators to help you navigate those efficiently.

Begin with finding copies of the books you and your husband loved in childhood, those you wish to share with your children. Then use your public library to reread the children's classics and determine which ones speak to you and find lovely editions of those to buy. Look to lists here on this forum and other homeschooling or junior great books lists, there is a current one on unknown classics, and also in places like the Chinaberry Catalog. These lists will have been compiled by people with a similar interest in education to yours. Explore the Caldecott and Newberry award winners through your public library and purchase the ones that fit with your vision.

You might like the Read Aloud Revival podcasts. It is a Christian/Catholic? leaning website filled to the brim with discussion about how to make just these kinds of choices. Scroll down and start with podcast number one. It should keep you busy for hours, no need to subscribe to her membership section. She has a book list as well, but I don't think it is as good as many others. http://amongstlovelythings.com/read-aloud-revival-the-podcast/

Julie Bogart of Brave Writer chooses really good books for her arrow and boomerang curricula. You could cobble together some possibilities there as well.

Edited by Kalmia

I bought the books i knew i would want to read morenthan once. Or that i knew id want each child to read fir themselves OR the books the kids loved and one of them would read it several times.

I did not gonout of my way to buy "classics" because they pop up at every library sale, thrift shop and yard sale on the planet.

I got paperback unless hardback was the ONLY option because i abhor holding hardback books open. If i cant pace and read one handed, i wont read it.

Finally, i got what i wanted over the course of three years and then stopped. Kindle from here, out, except for gift books and whatever the kids pick up for themselves. I have enough books for several very good k-12 educations....anything we dont have now is clearly a want not a need and has to be appraoched as such!

What books would you feel are essential in your own home library?

Oh, gosh. That depends on so many variables, doesn't it? I mean, I can suggest 1000 books which I will NEVER GIVE UP, but....

I don't go in much for nice editions of books - I'm always scared to read them! I prefer paperbacks, nice and comfy and you can take them in the bathtub.

I used to favor hardcovers, but now prefer trade paperbacks for most purposes.  The smaller size and weight turns out to be very helpful when a family has a lot of books.   They take fewer bookcases and less wall space, they're easier to carry around and put away, and if we end up giving some away, they're much easier to pack and move.  They do get damaged, but in our house, so do hardcovers.  If we're careful, both types seem to last well. 

Mass-market paperbacks usually have much smaller type,and the older ones often have yellowed pages, so we do try to avoid those if the books are likely to be used frequently or by younger children.  For standard grown-up classics that we're keeping on hand because someone might want to read them some day -- and they're not available online -- they seem to do the job adequately.  (Getting rid of them, and buying new copies if needed, would probably also do the job, but I can't bring myself to do that.  :001_rolleyes:  )

Edited by ElizaG

My collection has grown slowly, through keeping an eye out at library sales and thrift stores mostly. I keep a running list of "to buy" books. Books make it on the list because:

We have checked it out of the library several times.

It's sentimental or a true favorite if myself or one of the kids.

It's a classic (aka book everyone should have read).

It's not available at the library, but I really really want to read it, and I've found a price similar to the kindle price.

I do buy classics because neither myself or my kids can get into the kindle. I don't know. It's just not the same. We own one, and we do use it, but mostly for books not worth owning because we will read it once and then never again. Also because I want a home library full of really worthy books- so that when the kids wander by browsing and pick something, I know it's of the best quality. Also just because I adore classics.