Menu

Have y'all seen this? Attempted kidnapping caught on tape.

Seasider

But did he just expect her to go along quietly with him? He'd still have to get her all the way out of the store and into his vehicle. It's just so strange. Thankfully there was an off duty LEO around, but I don't think the guy would've gotten far with mom clinging on.

• Like 1

Yes! I saw that on the news early this morning. Absolutely terrifying!

You can bet your tooties that this is not the first time this man has tried something like this. It might be the first time he's been caught.

I don't know. I would imagine an experienced kidnapper would choose more wisely where to snatch someone and when to realize their attempt failed. Depending on where the off duty officer was, the man could have likely gotten away if he hadn't continued to drag the girl along after the mom put up a fight.

Yes! I saw that on the news early this morning. Absolutely terrifying!

You can bet your tooties that this is not the first time this man has tried something like this. It might be the first time he's been caught.

The article said he has been arrested several times and all were misdemeanors except for battery on an officer in 2009.

I wonder if he was high and not thinking clearly. His actions seem desperate.

And yes, kinsa, yay for that mom. I'd like think I'd react the same way.

His mug shot looked like pictures I've seen of meth users.  So my first thought was that he was high.

I also hope I'd react the same way, but I can't imagine not doing so!  I am a pretty meek and even timid person, but I can't see myself letting someone try to drag off my kid without putting up a fight!  I imagine the mom and girl were screaming and I couldn't help but wonder why I didn't see any other people (customers, store employees) in the video.  I wonder if anyone called 911.  I sure hope so.

• Like 5

perps aren't exactly known for using their brains.

some of the bank robbery stories dh has . . . one who stuck the dye pack in his back pants pockets (ouch).  or the one who robbed a teller when there were two FBI agents in line behind him. . . .

eta: the one's who robbed our house were a known group of druggies looking to finance their habit.  so yeah, I'd expect he's probably on drugs.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

Krav Maga classes for me and the girls just went up the priority list.

Great idea. In Taekwon-do classes we (children and adults) did a lot of self-defense practice scenarios with being grabbed and dragged exactly like in the video. It's excellent to know some effective ways to react and release yourself from holds.

• Like 2

I wonder if he was high and not thinking clearly. His actions seem desperate.

And yes, kinsa, yay for that mom. I'd like think I'd react the same way.

From the way people described him, it sounds like chronic substance abuse or mental illness, HOWEVER, what a frightening thing to happen to this poor girl being dragged through the aisles and her mother eventually getting on the floor with her to slow him down. Unbelievable. I am very happy to hear the deputy arrested him on the spot. Finally someone was in the right place at the right time!

• Like 2

His mug shot looked like pictures I've seen of meth users.  So my first thought was that he was high.

I also hope I'd react the same way, but I can't imagine not doing so!  I am a pretty meek and even timid person, but I can't see myself letting someone try to drag off my kid without putting up a fight!  I imagine the mom and girl were screaming and I couldn't help but wonder why I didn't see any other people (customers, store employees) in the video.  I wonder if anyone called 911.  I sure hope so.

In a picture I saw of the store from the outside, there were only 2 vehicles in the parking lot, and it was a free-standing store.  Possibly only one worker and the mom/daughter were the only customers there at the time?  The town of 500 where we own a home has a Dollar General (free-standing) and there's usually only one worker there.  It's not unusual to be the only customer in there, and the worker tends to be doing everything, with a bell for customers to ring at the register.  (Not saying that's what was going on here, but it's a possible explanation for why no one helped)

• Like 4

In a picture I saw of the store from the outside, there were only 2 vehicles in the parking lot, and it was a free-standing store. Possibly only one worker and the mom/daughter were the only customers there at the time? The town of 500 where we own a home has a Dollar General (free-standing) and there's usually only one worker there. It's not unusual to be the only customer in there, and the worker tends to be doing everything, with a bell for customers to ring at the register. (Not saying that's what was going on here, but it's a possible explanation for why no one helped)

That helps me understand why he may have selected this store. But now I have the chills because I'm wondering if he was following them or waiting for someone like this to go into the store.

Brrrr, scary!

The most helpful thing I did in terms of self-defense was attend a weekend seminar for those who did not have any martial arts experience. They talked about some strategies you can employ regardless of size difference and strength...and I did not have to go through a long course.

If I had a young daughter, I'd probably go to one of these.

• Like 3

In a picture I saw of the store from the outside, there were only 2 vehicles in the parking lot, and it was a free-standing store.  Possibly only one worker and the mom/daughter were the only customers there at the time?  The town of 500 where we own a home has a Dollar General (free-standing) and there's usually only one worker there.  It's not unusual to be the only customer in there, and the worker tends to be doing everything, with a bell for customers to ring at the register.  (Not saying that's what was going on here, but it's a possible explanation for why no one helped)

Thanks for that perspective.  Since I've almost always lived in/near large cities, and stores are mostly busy, that's not even something I thought of. 

Tangent - only one worker in a store?  That seems unsafe, and, wow, what does the employee do if they need to use the bathroom?  Lock the front door?  Or just hope no one takes stuff?  (Maybe in a small town there is not much risk of that?) 

Tangent - only one worker in a store?  That seems unsafe, and, wow, what does the employee do if they need to use the bathroom?  Lock the front door?  Or just hope no one takes stuff?  (Maybe in a small town there is not much risk of that?) 

A friend of mine worked for a gaming store where he was often the only person there (they could not stay in business hiring two people for all the hours).  He'd ask a customer he knew to keep an eye on things while he ran to the restroom or go next doors to McDonald's and buy lunch for him, etc.

I have been teaching krav maga and other self defense based martial arts to men, women and children for quite a while now. One thing I would gently like to throw out there is to be careful not to think that a quick course in self defense will equip you to actually defend yourself if attacked.

Like any skill (playing an instrument, speaking a foreign language, etc.),you need to practice self defense skills on a regular basis so that your response/reaction become automatic. The huge complicating factor is that if you are attacked, the fight or flight adrenaline/hormone response is enormous. If you haven't practiced self defense in a "safe" environment under stress drill conditions (starting slow, building up speed with proficiency over time), which do activate a similar hormone response in most people, then the chances of you actually being able to execute in a real life situation are fairly small.

I don't say this to scare anyone; it is just that I have sadly seen some courses marketed this way. And while I have personally taught short seminars on occasion to a variety of audiences who brought me in for a day or so, I always am very upfront and clear to explain that it is important to realize anything you learn needs to be practiced over and over, on a pretty regular basis (2-3 times a week), for about 6 months to two years minimum, before it is really ingrained. Students at my school are usually really surprised when they experience a stress drill for the first time. They find that the skills they practiced during class are much harder to execute accurately even when under mild to moderate stress with friendly classmates! It is weird how that happens. In my opinion, it is important for schools to conduct stress drills in almost every class. These are done safely, with emphasis on control and practice at appropriate speeds for each student's skill level.

Since every student starts at a different level of fitness and ability, the time frame to gain reactionary proficiency really can vary. In my years of teaching, the quickest I have seen someone really become proficient in krav maga is about 4 months...with 4-5 days/week training, and with a black belt in taekwondo coming in. The longest I have seen someone take to gain basic level krav skills is about two years, practicing 2x/week, with a minimal fitness level coming in and a fairly low coordination level. The average is usually about 1 year, practicing 2-3x/week, to acquire level one skills that can be done properly, at close to combat speed, for most individuals who come in with normal coordination and moderate fitness levels. At least, that is what I see at my school, with the way we teach.

Sorry to ramble. That video and the responses that followed were interesting!

• Like 1

I have been teaching krav maga and other self defense based martial arts to men, women and children for quite a while now. One thing I would gently like to throw out there is to be careful not to think that a quick course in self defense will equip you to actually defend yourself if attacked.

Like any skill (playing an instrument, speaking a foreign language, etc.),you need to practice self defense skills on a regular basis so that your response/reaction become automatic. The huge complicating factor is that if you are attacked, the fight or flight adrenaline/hormone response is enormous. If you haven't practiced self defense in a "safe" environment under stress drill conditions (starting slow, building up speed with proficiency over time), which do activate a similar hormone response in most people, then the chances of you actually being able to execute in a real life situation are fairly small.

I don't say this to scare anyone; it is just that I have sadly seen some courses marketed this way. And while I have personally taught short seminars on occasion to a variety of audiences who brought me in for a day or so, I always am very upfront and clear to explain that it is important to realize anything you learn needs to be practiced over and over, on a pretty regular basis (2-3 times a week), for about 6 months to two years minimum, before it is really ingrained. Students at my school are usually really surprised when they experience a stress drill for the first time. They find that the skills they practiced during class are much harder to execute accurately even when under mild to moderate stress with friendly classmates! It is weird how that happens. In my opinion, it is important for schools to conduct stress drills in almost every class. These are done safely, with emphasis on control and practice at appropriate speeds for each student's skill level.

Since every student starts at a different level of fitness and ability, the time frame to gain reactionary proficiency really can vary. In my years of teaching, the quickest I have seen someone really become proficient in krav maga is about 4 months...with 4-5 days/week training, and with a black belt in taekwondo coming in. The longest I have seen someone take to gain basic level krav skills is about two years, practicing 2x/week, with a minimal fitness level coming in and a fairly low coordination level. The average is usually about 1 year, practicing 2-3x/week, to acquire level one skills that can be done properly, at close to combat speed, for most individuals who come in with normal coordination and moderate fitness levels. At least, that is what I see at my school, with the way we teach.

Sorry to ramble. That video and the responses that followed were interesting!

This is a very important point to make. My dh has been teaching martial arts for over 12 years. He teaches self defense classes as well. I've been taking those classes for years and the number of people who think they can take a 3 hour seminar and be protected is very high. It just doesnt work that way.