Menu

If you live in a walkable area, what handbag do you use?

3 ladybugs

What features do you love? Hate?

We live a block from the bus line, and we are getting a SuperWalmart within walking distance. We are also getting a Costco on the bus line (no I don't plan on taking the bus there generally, but it could be a nice place to go to get some energy out on REALLY hot or cold days). In short my walkablity rating is going way up.

I have an idea of what I want in a bag but I think I will be having to make it. Not an issue for me, but I want to make sure I think of everything before I start. The only things I know I want right now is a back zippable wallet, and a side zip compartment that is insulated for my epipen. Debating having a flap to cover the main compartment zipper. I also want it to be cross body.

I should point out that I have a 3 year old (turning 3 next month) and a 7 year old.

Thank you for the help!

I love my Sherpani milli.

Main compartment is zippered; zippered inside compartment for wallet, key fob, zippered compartment under the flap, zippered compartment on the flap, magnetic closure. Large enough for a planner or book.

I have the older version in a water resistant nylon fabric; wide strap for cross body, length adjustable

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

My 2 "needs" are something I can comfortably wear and money is separate from bag and on my person.  I forget bags so I must wear one if I need one.  If I don't, I don't bring one.  I don't own a purse.  I can't stand them.  But sure if I go somewhere for hours I may need to carry stuff.  Keeping the wallet in my pocket feels the safest to me and if something happens to my bag I've still got my wallet. 

Isn't a purse just a women's wallet ? It is here. Is it a bag over there ?

There are regional differences in definitions in the US as well. I would call what you call a purse a wallet and call a smaller bag with a clasp that holds change a purse or change purse. A larger bag I would call either a pocketbook or a handbag.

• Like 1

That's what I call a small handbag! Learn a new thing every day etc. I wondered why people in books were always going out with just a purse. 

There are all zillions of styles and sizes so the term is rather loose I guess.  But wallet is really something generally that is used to hold money, credit cards, ID, check books (sometimes) and that sort of thing.  There are some kinda slightly larger wallets with a strap. 

Women style wallets aren't generally good for putting in your back pocket. 

• Like 1

Check out Bagallinis. They have very small to very large. The one I usually carry sound like it would be a nice match for your description. No wallet OR purse required--so many well considered pockets. I will try to find a link and post that.

Oh I like that. I'd prefer it had a pocket for a water bottle though.

It's a much smaller bag than would support a water bottle. :0)

I use the cross body designs from Kipling & some LeSportsac.  Both are made of fabric & have sturdy durable zippers. 

I love that they're light so they don't add to the weight of what I put in them. I like the little monkey on the Kipling bags. He's a comforting little guy.  The patterns on LeSportsac are fun. 

I like a cross body purse. When my old one was wearing out after many years, I bought this one from Amazon--it's probably close to a year old now. I like that in addition to the zippered main compartment, it has another zippered compartment on the "back"--the side I wear close to my body. I keep supplies for disabled dd in there--one diaper, travel wipes, and her wallet. It also has a smaller zippered compartment on the front where I keep my phone, pen/pencil, and where I dump all my change. The main compartment has one zippered area made of netting material and another non-zippered compartment. On the sides are deepish pockets that are supposed to be able to hold a water bottle--it would have to be a small water bottle. I put my sunglasses in one and currently I have sunblock in the other. This is a great purse for me. I like the idea of traveling light with a tiny little nothing purse, but realistically, I'm the mom and I need to have a certain amount of stuff with me.

http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Anti-Theft-Cross-Body-Bucket-Black/dp/B00C75L4O2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1465178967&sr=8-7&keywords=travelon+crossbody

I love my Sherpani milli.

Main compartment is zippered; zippered inside compartment for wallet, key fob, zippered compartment under the flap, zippered compartment on the flap, magnetic closure. Large enough for a planner or book.

I have the older version in a water resistant nylon fabric; wide strap for cross body, length adjustable

Another Sherpani fan here :) 

If I need to carry more stuff (library books, groceries) I use a daypack.

Check out Bagallinis. They have very small to very large. The one I usually carry sound like it would be a nice match for your description. No wallet OR purse required--so many well considered pockets. I will try to find a link and post that.

Second the Bagallini vote. Check TJ MAXX. They have great prices on them.

I live in a very walkable area. For the approx 500 ft walk to the library, we would be having a rolling backpack for my kids and my tote bag for my stuff. For walking to the supermarket next to the library, I'll carry my smallest bag or just stuff my phone and credit card into my jacket's zipped pockets. (ETA: we push an Ikea shopping bag with wheels to put the groceries in)

I had done 6km loop walks with a large tote while my kids were at classes because I was buying small items if needed as I stroll past shops. I have always been a walk and public transport person since young as I have always lived in walkable areas as my parents and I loathe driving.

When my kids were under 5, I find backpacks more convenient for public transport. It was just easier for me to have the map, bus schedule, my kids water bottles, snacks, wallet, my hat, phone in all the different compartments of my backpack.

Edited by Arcadia

Thanks everyone! I didn't even think about RFID protection! I was able to find the RFID blocking fabric online, so I will get that. I think I am narrowing down what I want and need. I might try putting it all out on a table and figure out how best to organize it. 

RFID blocking and an insulated compartment? Yeah I have to make this bag. That really doesn't exist!

:bigear: I have been looking for a good bag also.  I had a crossbody from 31 that was way too small.  This was surprising since I am a minimalist and don't carry a lot of stuff. It wouldn't hold my Kindle though (couldn't zip it closed) and that was a deal breaker.

I recently bought a Vera Bradley bag that was advertised as a crossbody.  It's large enough for my Kindle, eyeglasses, and wallet but I don't think it is a crossbody.  The strap is funky and when I try to use it as a crossbody it cinches closed and rides up on my neck.  Luckily it was a closeout bag and didn't cost that much.  I like the pattern and will use it when I need a bag to go out but I will not use it as my everyday bag.

I have a leather mailbag that I use for work but it's rather large for everyday use.

On thing I noticed as I got older is that leather got pretty heavy when I was carrying it awhile.  I finally had to give up and consign a bunch of beautiful leather handbags--COACH, back in the good old Coach days.  Le sigh.  I love high quality accoutrements, but I just can't do the leather backpacks or handbags anymore.  Alas.

Pockets.

Ideally with zip or velcro closures. In my jacket in winter. In some other garment in summer, like right now I have a skirt I like that has a lot of pockets, and also overalls with pockets.

Back in the day, I used a blazer / suit jacket with pockets, as well as a skirt with pockets.

If I have a lot to carry I like a rollable backpack or computer case on wheels.